Hornby announce the ex SECR / SR / BR(s) Wainwright H Class 0-4-4 tank as part of their 2017 range

Graham_Muz

Dates from the Hornby website:

• The train pack is due this month.
  • 31265 is due December 2018.
  • 263 has been pushed back to January 2019.

Does this mean those of us who joined the Collectors Club will have to pay another year of membership in order to get our model .....????

EDIT - just realised it should arrive JUST within the year of membership by about 25 days

Edited by G-BOAF

Dates from the Hornby website:

• The train pack is due this month.
  • 31265 is due December 2018.
  • 263 has been pushed back to January 2019.

The train pack date was retarded to May about two months ago, though Hattons had retarded it further to 'Between May & June' during that period.  Considering this was originally programmed before the individual locos, it would appear that there's been a hiccup. Hopefully all three products will be available by January.

Does this mean those of us who joined the Collectors Club will have to pay another year of membership in order to get our model .....????

EDIT - just realised it should arrive JUST within the year of membership by about 25 days

My thoughts entirely.

I wonder when the silly little "Collectors Club" model toy is going to arrive, they've gone quiet on that too....

• 3 weeks later...

Sod’s law. I just put money aside for a Heljan 07. Hopefully some will be hanging around on the 28th

Big James

Sod’s law. I just put money aside for a Heljan 07. Hopefully some will be hanging around on the 28th

Big James

• RMweb Premium

Big James Sod’s law. I just put money aside for a Heljan 07. Hopefully some will be hanging around on the 28th

Big James

I would suggest using the Heljan 07 money for the H and save for the 07. The 07s will be available for ages but I doubt the H will.

• RMweb Gold

Rails of Sheffield are showing this as arriving on Monday 4th June. Their price is £149.50, once upon a time would have seemed silly for two coaches and a tank engine, but probably good value now if you think of the parts separately.

John.

Yes, but there is a comprehensive list of different Hornby Maunsell pull-push sets available on ebay right now, at attractive prices. You have to need the matching late-crest loco, too.

Is the chimney the same as 31518's? I'm modelling 1962 and virtually all H's had the wider chimney by that point.

Here’s a photo if that helps.

Mine is all in perfect cosmetic condition - she is however not the smoothest of runners, a small jerking action is present, sometimes I don’t notice it as much. But the main issue is the rear of the chassis freely slides from one side to the other a little too much for my liking, she often ends up a little askew after going round curves - is that a common problem with the Hornby H class?

post-30135-0-76909500-1528043931_thumb.jpeg

Here’s a photo if that helps.

Mine is all in perfect cosmetic condition - she is however not the smoothest of runners, a small jerking action is present, sometimes I don’t notice it as much. But the main issue is the rear of the chassis freely slides from one side to the other a little too much for my liking, she often ends up a little askew after going round curves - is that a common problem with the Hornby H class?

Thanks for that. From your picture the chimney does appear to be wider than that on 31518.  Here's hoping!

Can't say I noticed the chassis going askew on the previous loco. Sounds like the drivers are a touch under-gauge...

Edited by Chuffed 1

• RMweb Gold

- she is however not the smoothest of runners, a small jerking action is present, sometimes I don’t notice it as much.

I've experienced exactly this same problem with two SR liveried versions, I've returned both to the retailer. This is the first model I have ever returned due to poor running.

My SECR version has rear wheels that have a tendency to skate along the rail top, but I can live with that, and will have a fiddle to get the wheels to make better contact with the rails.

It's a shame about the running quality as it's a stunning model.

Cheers,

Keith

I've experienced exactly this same problem with two SR liveried versions, I've returned both to the retailer. This is the first model I have ever returned due to poor running.

My SECR version has rear wheels that have a tendency to skate along the rail top, but I can live with that, and will have a fiddle to get the wheels to make better contact with the rails.

Cheers,

Keith

Not good. Would be a shame if this a case with 31551 as it appears that Hornby have fitted the correct larger buffers on the front and maybe even the stepped standard buffers on the rear. It's the old adage of a chain being only as strong as its weakest link, only in this case its a supply chain...

I’m sorry to report more bad news - I’ve noticed the skirting board in the driving composite is distinctly bent downwards on both ends on the one side - the other side is unaffected.

This pack is going back! What a bore. And it’s a real shame ‘cause this set looks so beautiful....

post-30135-0-30078600-1528062412_thumb.jpeg

post-30135-0-21843300-1528062427_thumb.jpeg

Edited by seeseerider

• RMweb Gold

It's probably caused by the pickups bearing too fiercely on the bogie wheels and acting as a brake. With a small jeweller's screwdriver you can unscrew the 4 screws holding the keeper plate on, take out the wheels and gently bend the pickups towards the centre of the bogie, then reassemble it, and the wheels should revolve.

Edited by Budgie

• RMweb Premium

I’m sorry to report more bad news - I’ve noticed the skirting board in the driving composite is distinctly bent downwards on both ends on the one side - the other side is unaffected.

This pack is going back! What a bore. And it’s a real shame ‘cause this set looks so beautiful....

Is the body correctly seated onto the underframe?

Hornby use tabs from the glazing which go through slots in the underframe at each end plus round a sticking up bit in the middle of the underframe. If the end tabs are not seated correctly on one side but they are on the other, the effect can be just as you have pictured. Swivel the bogies and have a look, it may simply be a little pressure is needed to get them to engage correctly.

Edited by phil-b259

Is the body correctly seated onto the underframe?

Hornby use tabs from the glazing which go through slots in the underframe at each end plus round a sticking up bit in the middle of the underframe. If the end tabs are not seated correctly on one side but they are on the other, the effect can be just as you have pictured. Swivel the bogies and have a look, it may simply be a little pressure is needed to get them to engage correctly.

Thanks for the tip - I checked but the tabs appeared to be properly in place. Here is a more extreme shot:

post-30135-0-19427500-1528064140_thumb.jpeg

I only started my new OO gauge venture as some light relief to my regular occupation/daily heartache of 1 gauge and O gauge. I wanted something with instant joy/ hassle free pleasure. So far I’m not getting it! Maybe I should stick to the big boys if this keeps happening.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the tip - I checked but the tabs appeared to be properly in place. Here is a more extreme shot:

Hmm, I would still say that the body isn't sitting right on the chassis from the picture. If it were me I would have a go at getting the body off and putting it back on again - problem is that although its quite simple to do, its not that easy to describe in words.

Cheers,

Keith

It may be that  the bogie pivot plate is bearing down too much. Take a look at the example shown on the Rails site, particularly the rear three-quarter view - this shows the rear drivers lifted clear of the surface. Might only be a 'remove-plate-bend-and-replace' job?

Mine's on its way - will let you know if there's a similar problem.

Edited by Chuffed 1