Minerva GWR Pannier Tank - open for advanced orders

81A Oldoak

With the risk of putting a hex on it, the Minerva 57xx panniers will be arriving next week, about 10 days before the Reading 0 Gauge Trade show on the 2nd December.

If anyone wishes to pick up and pay for their advance order for the 57xx on the 2nd December and save the postage, please email us at Minerva at

sales@minervamodelrailways.co.uk in the next week or so.

We have over 200, so help with the date the order was placed or the reference number will be gratefully appreciated!!

Please note that sound and plain DCC models will be shipped week commencing 4th December, and it is very unlikely that we will be able to supply any of these at Reading.

Thanks

Chris B

• Like 2

According to Model Rail, the loco "really captures the prototype's Victorian look".

ummm....

shirley shome mishtake?

Because something looks Victorian does not mean that it is actually Victorian, but that it resembles something from the Victorian era. The concept is similar to constructing a building today in, say, the Renaissance or Regency or Palladian style. According to the The Pannier Papers No 1, when the GWR's Running Superintendent submitted a request in the 1940s for another batch of the 8750 variant of the 57XX 0-6-0PT the GWR's General Manager, Sir James Milne, over-ruled the request because he wanted something "a little less Victorian looking" to handle empty coach stock workings in and out of Paddington Station. In particular, he wanted a locomotive without the bulbous dome and the result was Hawksworth's 94XX design. So, I think Model Rail's description can stand.

• Like 1

K J Cook's book is the source of the Milne remark, but the notion that Hawksworth's design of something 2' longer with a No 10 tapered boiler and axle weights above 17.5 tons was predicated on the basis of wanting something 'a little less Victorian' is completely wide of the mark.

Sorry, offtopic!

The first consignment of Minerva 0 Gauge RTR GWR 57XX 0-6-0 pannier tank locomotives with welded tanks has arrived in the UK and cleared customs. They are scheduled for delivery to Minerva HQ tomorrow. Following quality checking and testing, the dispatch of advanced orders in numerical sequence will start with the DC versions on Monday 27th November. If you want your model delivered at the Reading show on Saturday 2nd December please send a request by email to sales@minervamodelrailways.co.uk with your name and address.

Despite a little worry over potential delays at Heathrow, we are delighted to report that the 57xx Panniers have arrived and will start to be despatched tomorrow (Friday 24th) to customers.

Our first impressions are extremely good, as the models appear to be as good as we could hope for.

And by coincidence, the first one was picked up by David Roberts less than 20 minutes after arrival, as he made his way to the Warley show this weekend. He kindly offered to display his model on his demo stand, so if you are going to the NEC, be sure to seek him out and admire his acquisition.

post-9867-0-16100900-1511468509_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

Despite a little worry over potential delays at Heathrow, we are delighted to report that the 57xx Panniers have arrived and will start to be despatched tomorrow (Friday 24th) to customers.

Our first impressions are extremely good, as the models appear to be as good as we could hope for.

And by coincidence, the first one was picked up by David Roberts less than 20 minutes after arrival, as he made his way to the Warley show this weekend. He kindly offered to display his model on his demo stand, so if you are going to the NEC, be sure to seek him out and admire his acquisition.

Hi Chris

Looks to be a very good model and I'm certainly looking forward to the riveted version I have ordered. However, I am disappointed to see that the Great Western is still incorrect with no shadow.  Are the Chinese just incapable of getting this right?

Norman

Hi Chris

Looks to be a very good model and I'm certainly looking forward to the riveted version I have ordered. However, I am disappointed to see that the Great Western is still incorrect with no shadow.  Are the Chinese just incapable of getting this right?

Norman

Must be my mobile-phone screen, it looks like the shading is there-but my eyes aint what they used to be!

Must be my mobile-phone screen, it looks like the shading is there-but my eyes aint what they used to be!

In 1922 the words Great Western appeared on tender and tank sides in yellow shaded black and vermilion.  On the pannier the black appears to be missing.

Norman

The black shading is not particularly prominent, even on shiny new things.

attachicon.gifinsignia-western.png

It would not be noticeable on a workaday tank.

Most of the time, you'd be lucky to spot the insignia at all.

attachicon.gifinsignia-western2.png.jpg

No not prominent but clearly visible in 0 gauge and it was pointed out earlier on 8750.

Of course with heavy weathering it can be disguised.

Norman

The black shading is not particularly prominent, even on shiny new things.

attachicon.gifinsignia-western.png

It would not be noticeable on a workaday tank.

Most of the time, you'd be lucky to spot the insignia at all.

attachicon.gifinsignia-western2.png.jpg

Agreed. Good examples!

No not prominent but clearly visible in 0 gauge and it was pointed out earlier on 8750.

Of course with heavy weathering it can be disguised.

Norman

Hi Norman,

I am well aware of the black shading on GWR lettering....

I agree with your above comments - which I have quoted herewith. BUT It depends on one's interests, ie collector or modeller, even through rose-tinted specs a GW Pannier would have dirt on it and the lettering wouldnt be ex works. Having modelled in a few scales, inc military, RC cars, boats and aeroplanes, when I moved from 4mm to 7mm, although detail and texture abounds in 7mm, when compared to Eg. 1/35 etc and dependant on the environs/viewing distance for the model and its scale, then some details merely have to be hinted at for a layout model. BTW, whilst viewing on a PC, now, as opposed to a 'mobile device' (before), I can see that the shading isnt all that noticeable - if present at all.

For the price one could always 're-brand' with new transfers, or line in the black detail with a decent bow-pen or lining tool (or even, if brave enough, an ultra-fine ink pen/permi. marker).

Notwithstanding, it's a cracking model and, understandably, compared to mine, with the multi-fit cab, to misquote Eric and Ernie, you cant see the join, on the one above, there is no join and the whole model looks akin to a much more expensive brass RTR or brass kit. Thus I guess that it is a case of; 'you pays yer money and makes yer choice'. But even with a small 'join' on the cab of mine, such will disappear with weathering etc., the same applies with the 'GREAT WESTERN' branding.

These are RTR layout models at a very fair price and by and large they are superb!

ATVB

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

post-6761-0-63866000-1512283752_thumb.jpeg

post-6761-0-62578800-1512283771_thumb.jpeg

Very happy with this, added most detail parts yesterday, and awaiting numberplates. It is another fine model from Minerva, and runs beautifully.

It is noticeably lighter than the Victory class, not that this is a problem. The tanks are open spaces into which weight could be added if desired. Be careful when removing the balance pipes when opening up, the clips which fit these into the underside of the tanks are fragile, and unlikely to survive many removals.

Aside the black shadowing to lettering, to my eyes there is an issue with the ‘W’ of WESTERN which looks too narrow (this appears to be the same on the 8750), but this is a very minor niggle.

I haven’t seen the Dapol prototype in the flesh, however from photos I would note that in comparison the Minerva’s window glasses do not feature excess plastic inside the cab making the backhead truly beautiful.

N

Edited by neal
  • Like 6

Here are all of the Minerva 57XX panniers showing off their bustles. All versions are available from stock. You can order by telephone, email, post or on the Minerva webshop. Prices are: DC/DCC Ready £265; DCC fitted £320; DCC sound fitted £390. Carriage is £9 per loco. All prices are inclusive of UK VAT. Visit our webshop at: https://www.minervamodelrailways.co.uk/product-category/locomotives/

post-13142-0-19922100-1512737103_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-89311000-1512737118_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-22424500-1512737132_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-60063100-1512737144_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-24595200-1512737165_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-53273400-1512737177_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-54979400-1512737188_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-62142700-1512737200_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Christmas 2017 Deliveries

Just a reminder that the last date we can post to guarantee your model getting to you in time to unwrap under the tree is Thursday,21st December, for a before 1pm arrival on the Friday.

It MAY be possible to get a Saturday delivery, but this will be at a premium, and we will not be able to offer our normal carriage charges if you want to go so close to this date.

At the moment, we are sending out between 6 – 10 parcels a day, which is well within our capacity, but it may get busier as the 25th draws closer.

Hope this helps

Chris B and Chris Kpost-13142-0-43233700-1513240376_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Here are two photos of a pre-production version of the Minerva 0 gauge RTR 57XX 0-6-0 pannier tank locomotive with riveted tanks. This is the third and final version in the Minerva 57XX/8750 series. It will be available with and without top-feed apparatus and in GWR green with "GREAT WESTERN" insignia and no insignia and plain black with early and late British Railways crests. The model retails at £265 for DC, £320 for DCC fiitted and £390 for DCC sound fitted. The carriage charge is £9 per loco. All prices include UK VAT at 20%. We fit ZIMO decoders.

The production run will be smaller for this version and we publish the delivery date shortly. If you wish to place an advanced order please use the form on our website. We will not bill you until the models are tested and ready for dispatch.    https://www.minervamodelrailways.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/Order-form-Pannier-57xx-Rivetted.pdf

post-13142-0-70788700-1515429945_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-57253000-1515429963_thumb.jpg

• Like 7