Railway & Modelling Obituaries

Roger Slade CSP/Haye Developments

Coach bogie

Yes. I spoke to him several weeks ago trying to order something from the website and he told me then that he was terminally ill. I decided for the sake of his and his family's privacy not to share it with the forum.

Ah, that's a shame, hadn't seen him for a while, he used to help me working part-time in my old shop. He used to live in Arne, just outside Wareham, then moved to Stratton, Dorchester, and an owner of a cycle shop in Holdenhurst Road in Bournemouth. A friendly, chatty chap, I'm sure he'll be missed.

• RMweb Gold

Sad news indeed, I've known Roger for a good while and our paths usually crossed 2 or 3 times a year, though the last occasion was at Southampton show back in January.

He'll be much missed by many for his personality as well as his products.

RIP

John

My only contact with Roger was when buying one of his S&DJR Sentinel kits. As a small supplier myself, I was gratified to come into contact with a colleague who held the same views that I do on customer service.

Roger contacted me almost immediately after supplying the kit, to advise of errors in some of the parts supplied, and undertook to supply replacements in short order. This he did, with profuse apologies, and with obvious concern for any inconvenience caused.

A gentleman - there's no other appropriate description !

Sad to hear of his passing.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• 2 weeks later...

According to the website, the kit range continues, so it looks like he planned for continuity after he'd gone.

This is true. The range has been acquired and moved to Carlisle. As soon as the stock is sorted and following his funeral on Tuesday 18 October it is hoped to be able to start fulfilling outstanding orders. Anybody who has placed an order and not been contacted should keep checking the website for full details of new owner and how to contact them.

SteamAle

According to the website, the kit range continues, so it looks like he planned for continuity after he'd gone.

This is true. The range has been acquired and moved to Carlisle. As soon as the stock is sorted and following his funeral on Tuesday 18 October it is hoped to be able to start fulfilling outstanding orders. Anybody who has placed an order and not been contacted should keep checking the website for full details of new owner and how to contact them.

SteamAle

I am reliably informed this move does not include Haye Developements GWR Coach range.

Mike Wiltshire

• 3 weeks later...

Mike

You are quite correct. I should have said just the former 4mm Agenoria range has been acquired by Iain Young, Sanpariel ICS. Still sorting things out and getting to grips with the range. Steep learning curve and lots of of other jobs are having to be completed before really spending lots of time reintroducing the models and also some of the planned new models as well. Not been able to access the website yet so no changes there!

SteamAle

I found out about this awful news in the latest GW Study Group newsletter which arrived Saturday morning.

I was shaken to the core.

I last chatted to Roger in January at the Southampton show. He was the same as ever. Witty ...sarcastic ...uncle like.

We were exchanging a long list of names of actors who had been to Eton. As I was trying to think of my next name he put forward the name Cameron in a calm monotone voice. I laughed.

"No seriously.... Cameron's a good actor!" said Roger. That typified his quick wit and humour.

Terrible news and I will miss him like the rest of you.

RIP Roger. Thanks for all the chats.

Archived