A Cartoon of Helston(ish)

Mulgabill

Up to date Tony it’s all coming on rather well. I do like those Cornish walls.

Cheers

Ade

Ade

I had noticed you were almost there, I admire your persistence, although I have been doing

likewise with Treggymans Creedyford, which I completed today.

As I said before, I have enjoyed the dips back into my thread as I followed your progress

and hope to get back to Helstonish soon.

In the meantime I have been progressing Huckford Road, with jobs I can do downstairs. I hope

you might join in there, maybe after a rest.

Thanks for the comment on the Cornish Hedges, the last sampler was much better, but quite a

labour of love, my eyes don't like me working with 1mm blocks.

All the best

• Like 1

Hi Tony

Cauliflower cheese for tea then....

Very nice models....& weed free too!!!!!

Also those tree trunks look very good.......

Mrs Mulgabil has done a superb job on them.....

The advantage of trees built like that is that the trunks have 'bulk' like in real life.....

Seafoam does look good...& I use it for all my trees at present  , but looking at layouts where the trees are made I think the end result looks much better.....

Hope fully you'll be able to get back to Helstonish soon but in the mean time I've been enjoying following your progress on Huckford.....

Glad you enjoyed ploughing through Creedyford......

It's actually out & about a couple of times this year...August & November.....

Following both your threads with interest....

Cheers Bill

Hey Bill

When /where are your 2 shows, I'll maybe try to get creative.

Suspect August might be too soon to get Hopalong there, but November?

(Mind you it might be a lead baloon I'm trying to fly).

Edited by Mulgabill

Hey Bill

When /where are your 2 shows, I'll maybe try to get creative.

Suspect August might be too soon to get Hopalong there, but November?

(Mind you it might be a lead baloon I'm trying to fly).

Hi Tony

August is the Hayle show on the Sat/Sun of the bank holiday weekend & the November one is Sunday 4th Nov in Redruth at Carn Brea Leisure Centre (The Cornwall 'O' Gauge guild show)......

It would be great to meet up if you could make either...

Cheers Bill

• 2 weeks later...

Went to Railwells last Sunday and managed to meet up with John (St Enodoc) who has been a regular supporter here.

Had an enjoyable chat and it was really good to meet somebody who was instrumental in getting Helstonish to progress

to the point where it could be shared here.

Also good to see a handful of other RM Webbers, but unfortunately the venue was not too conducive to Mrs MBs lack of

mobility, leading us to curtail our visit somewhat. Mind you I was glad I saw Clutton.

Earlier whilst studying I noted a reallocation for w/e 18/8 which led me to an impulsive rush to Truthwell, on the off-chance:

post-25234-0-59758200-1534442151_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-20918900-1534442233_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-35682600-1534442366_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-53347500-1534442589_thumb.jpg

I'll own up - I think its the first time I've bought myself a Birthday present, a couple of weeks early, to celebrate (in advance)

getting my first pension payment!

Bill I'm still working on November, but Cauliflower cheese is off the menu - the whole patch has gone to Oz.

The goods shed for Huckford Road is nearly complete, need to sort ironmongery. So I have been thinking about whats next.

Including a site visit for a couple of pics, from different angles to the classic scene. My thinking is that if I build this on its own

base, it might ultimately appear on both layouts.

So here is a taster :

post-25234-0-50962800-1534443367_thumb.jpg

Anybody know where it is?

post-25234-0-59758200-1534442151_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-20918900-1534442233_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-35682600-1534442366_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-53347500-1534442589_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-50962800-1534443367_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Went to Railwells last Sunday and managed to meet up with John (St Enodoc) who has been a regular supporter here.

Had an enjoyable chat and it was really good to meet somebody who was instrumental in getting Helstonish to progress

Also good to see a handful of other RM Webbers, but unfortunately the venue was not too conducive to Mrs MBs lack of

mobility, leading us to curtail our visit somewhat. Mind you I was glad I saw Clutton.

Earlier whilst studying I noted a reallocation for w/e 18/8 which led me to an impulsive rush to Truthwell, on the off-chance:

attachicon.gifDSC_0233.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_0236.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_0237.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_0238.JPG

I'll own up - I think its the first time I've bought myself a Birthday present, a couple of weeks early, to celebrate (in advance)

Bill I'm still working on November, but Cauliflower cheese is off the menu - the whole patch has gone to Oz.

The goods shed for Huckford Road is nearly complete, need to sort ironmongery. So I have been thinking about whats next.

Including a site visit for a couple of pics, from different angles to the classic scene. My thinking is that if I build this on its own

So here is a taster :

attachicon.gifDSC_0223.JPG

Nice Layout pics Tony, keep them coming mate.

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gifDSC_0233.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_0236.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_0237.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_0238.JPG

So here is a taster :

attachicon.gifDSC_0223.JPG

My home town Wells but I didn’t venture along. Probably will next year.

Was it not wheel chair friendly? Don’t mean to pry but feedback is always useful. I’m not anything to do with it but interested.

Guess the cottage is Somerset Devon border somewhere or is it near or in Helston?

Cheers

Ade

Hi Ade

The Wells venue is technically accessible, we did use  a couple of elevating ramps on the ground floor. The problem was down to it being so crowded,

it would probably be fine in the course of normal workday business. But its also our lack of experience in navigating using a wheelchair. A "pro" disabled

person may think facilites quite goon, however we were distacted by worrying that somebody could/would fall over the chair behind them. There has

subsequently been more progress with crutshes/sticks, which will hopefully mean we can park up the chair,soon.

Thanks for having a go at the location, your thinking was sound but didn't quite stray far enough North - its in the Forest of Dean, and a much

photographed location "by railway photographers and postcard manufacturers alike". Upper Soudley.

All the best

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

You will all guess by the pics, that not too much has gone on lately.

And you would be pretty much right, as far as Helstonish goes.

But there has just been a weekend devoted to celebrating the fact that HM Government now

pays me more than I pay them.

This was manifest in a day of Diesels on the Dean Forest last Friday.

i.e. D832 and a (peculiar blue coloured) class14 - so can't call it a bananna split. But very

enjoyable, accompanied by my Brother. The first time in many years just taking pics.

Also accompanied by Mrs MB, who was quite understanding when "dumped" at the

refreshment room, while we disappeared up the lineside footpaths.

I think this was the first time I'd seen a Warship working since about 1970, and with

a driver who stuck to traditional driving methods, we could have been back in Cornwall.

(I think he judged the speed and didn't use them new fangled speedomiter things - it was

quite a lively ride - much appreciated).

post-25234-0-84941400-1537202489_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-20836100-1537206085_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-31425200-1537206646_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-86991100-1537206905_thumb.jpg

All of this has given a bit of time for reflection about the way forward, so a few decisions/targets have been taken/set.

I have decided that Helstonish needs a bit of attention / upgrading, rather than setting aside and starting again.

This should include:-

Rebuilding the platform and approach road, to resolve the variable height issues with the platform.

Possible relaying some of the trackwork, to address some variable height issues.

Shortening the fiddle yard (from 8' traverser to about 6'+).

Fabricating a new corner board - larger to reach the shortened F Yd

Finding room for a farm/stables to accomodate some new people/animals who have

arrived thanks to some of the grandchildren. Particularly a grandaughter hence

horse/farm connection. Grandsons car and van will be easier to place, but I have to reflect

on the naivety of youth. How else do you explain a blue Austin Allegro Estate?

As progress is on these is likely to be slow, I may fill out some of the detail of my thinking in future

posts.

So I'll leave you with a permanent way train heading into the sunset

post-25234-0-79017600-1537208177_thumb.jpg

And just remembered, yesterday we went to the Perrygrove railway which grandkids enjoyed, and so did I as

I got to drive an American style loco for a good run to the 1st station and back - good fun.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

You will all guess by the pics, that not too much has gone on lately.

And you would be pretty much right, as far as Helstonish goes.

But there has just been a weekend devoted to celebrating the fact that HM Government now

pays me more than I pay them.

This was manifest in a day of Diesels on the Dean Forest last Friday.

i.e. D832 and a (peculiar blue coloured) class14 - so can't call it a bananna split. But very

enjoyable, accompanied by my Brother. The first time in many years just taking pics.

Also accompanied by Mrs MB, who was quite understanding when "dumped" at the

refreshment room, while we disappeared up the lineside footpaths.

I think this was the first time I'd seen a Warship working since about 1970, and with

a driver who stuck to traditional driving methods, we could have been back in Cornwall.

(I think he judged the speed and didn't use them new fangled speedomiter things - it was

quite a lively ride - much appreciated).

attachicon.gifDSC_0242.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_0245.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_0256.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_0289.JPG

All of this has given a bit of time for reflection about the way forward, so a few decisions/targets have been taken/set.

I have decided that Helstonish needs a bit of attention / upgrading, rather than setting aside and starting again.

This should include:-

Rebuilding the platform and approach road, to resolve the variable height issues with the platform.

Possible relaying some of the trackwork, to address some variable height issues.

Shortening the fiddle yard (from 8' traverser to about 6'+).

Fabricating a new corner board - larger to reach the shortened F Yd

Finding room for a farm/stables to accomodate some new people/animals who have

arrived thanks to some of the grandchildren. Particularly a grandaughter hence

horse/farm connection. Grandsons car and van will be easier to place, but I have to reflect

on the naivety of youth. How else do you explain a blue Austin Allegro Estate?

As progress is on these is likely to be slow, I may fill out some of the detail of my thinking in future

posts.

So I'll leave you with a permanent way train heading into the sunset

attachicon.gifDSC_0297.JPG

And just remembered, yesterday we went to the Perrygrove railway which grandkids enjoyed, and so did I as

I got to drive an American style loco for a good run to the 1st station and back - good fun.

Sounds like a grand weekend. Is Mrs MB back on her own two feet yet?

All the best to you both.

Many thanks for asking John.

Yes the wheelchair has been returned, and progress is being made now with one stick part-time.

We can shortly look forward to a stay at Glyndyfrwdwy in a holiday let on the platform of Llangollen Railway.

All the best

Trying to catch up a bit, which involved taking some pics, by request, so will share these

and a few ommissions with my readers.

At the DFR Diesel weekend, there was a stand manned by 2 guys (who's names I omitted to get)

for the class 22 New Build. In conversation I mentioned my 3 Hornby class 22s. They doubted

the voracity of my statement, and expressed a desire to see pics. At the time I refered them to

this thread, but have now taken some more, which I will try to send them.

post-25234-0-18994700-1537467670_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-90724600-1537467748_thumb.jpg

And some on the layout

post-25234-0-88912800-1537467858_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-51542100-1537467928_thumb.jpg

For comparison alongside a 29 which is about 1cm longer.

post-25234-0-87981100-1537468020_thumb.jpg

I have never found any reference to Hornby class 22s - has anybody else come across any?

I also realised that I'd not specifically put up any pics of the 21t minerals I worked on.

Although as they are not fully painted, I supose I could say they're not finished. But here are some

anyway. In the first, on the right is the Ian Kirk kit. The 2 together are Hornby ex "Bolsover" wagons.

post-25234-0-52760800-1537468224_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-54310600-1537468319_thumb.jpg

I also left out mention of my Birthday Party last weekend, thats was the bit between the DFR and Perrygrove,

where we had fine dining. Care of Cornish Pastys from Ann's of the Lizard. Just a pity Helston Station wasn't still

there to handle the shipment!

post-25234-0-39898800-1537468451_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-18994700-1537467670_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-90724600-1537467748_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-88912800-1537467858_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-51542100-1537467928_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-87981100-1537468020_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-52760800-1537468224_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-54310600-1537468319_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-39898800-1537468451_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Been back from our holiday at Glyndyfrdwy for just over a week so about time I caught up with this.

Whilst there I was struck by how reliable, and photogenic their large prairie was.

We first saw it on the Friday evening when we arrive, on an evening special, annd it looked so good

when photographed from the bedroom window. After this it cropped up a lot, partly as the GW 2-8-0 was

failed on the Sunday morning, with a broken tender spring. The class 37 diesel they were going to

substitute also failed. (Vac test) so 1st train got cancelled, and 5199 was turned out for the rest of the day.

A couple of pics to show what I mean about it being photogenic.

post-25234-0-07734000-1539193167_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-34196300-1539193254_thumb.jpg

We visited the blue and silver factory shop, thinking it would be rude not to, but I was a little disappointed.

No class 22s on display, or for sale, not that I can afford one. But I did want to have a close look.

Ended up buying a couple of their kits, and a grampus wagon. But did I buy the right colour?

Choice was black or brown, which is correct for early 50s?

I clearly remember 2 or 3 plus a brakevan, standing in the old Clifton Down bay at Mangotsfield,

for about 3 months in about '65 or '66 - but can I remember the livery - like hec!

post-25234-0-00784700-1539193327_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-13793000-1539193412_thumb.jpg

As you can see I took quite a few pics (335 to be precise), and they do seem to be getting better.

Just got to improve my model pics standard.

Now as it happens I may have taken a small step in the right direction. I had noticed, from  looking through

the window of the CCT body sales coach, that they had a ration signal kit, for sale. Made enquiries of the

signalman, as to when it might be open, but he didn't know. Next morning there was a knock on our

holiday let door, with an offer to open up.

Well you could probably guess the kit was LNER! But I did invest in a couple of books, and an old well engineered

tripod, for £2.

Said tripod has today been used to take pics of my BR Black large prairie, just got to work out the best settings

now.

A couple are included here

post-25234-0-88004900-1539193604_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-14977500-1539193500_thumb.jpg

Any comments / advice will be warmly welcomed, and you won't get away with it that lightly

I do have some more to share - soon.

• Like 5

I guess I’m not well read on the Forest of Dean!

For decades, the most-used construction material in the Forest of Dean was rusty corrugated iron.  You're forgiven for failing to connect a pretty stone-built cottage with the Forest.

On a miserable morning outside, I feel inclined to prevarication.

So specially for Andy P - more pics along the line of the last batch

The real thing

post-25234-0-29726900-1539419727_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-00596400-1539420115_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-22305700-1539420209_thumb.jpg

A couple more around Truthwell Halt

post-25234-0-18227700-1539420568_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-89120300-1539421787_thumb.jpg

And just to show the Llangollen didn't only have 5199, heres the 2-8-0

post-25234-0-89276400-1539420422_thumb.jpg

Might dig out a few more Llangollen oddities soon, but must do some real

modelling first!

Just hope weather is better for next Saturdays ANTB trip on the

G+WR.

• Like 4

Thanks Tony, Great pics again, I love driving past Brewyn Station on the A5 on our way to Bala and back on Holiday in November, but we never stop.

It's inspired me to give my 61XX, No 4144 of Severn Tunnel Junction Shed another run out on Seven Mills.

• 3 weeks later...

As theres not much to show re modelling, I'll treat you to a few old (mid 60s Cornwall) pics.

But first, I went to Railex Taunton with my brother last Saturday. Whilst there I did purchase

some loco grease.  On my return I decided to treat my large prairie to a small dollop. In order to

get it into the gearwheels I removed the retaining plate (spring hangers). After said treatment

loco no longer plays, seemingly having developed a short, which despite much careful

disassembly / reassembly, still won't play ball. Pah.

1st up Warship D860 Victorious on the up main at Truro probably in 1968

post-25234-0-07147000-1541006032_thumb.jpg

Can't find any reference in my notebooks, but since I took the pic - thats a cop 50 years late!

Also Truro D1029 Western Legionnaire, again 1968, I think.

post-25234-0-31695900-1541008734_thumb.jpg

Then a couple at Long Rock

D806 Cambrian and D844 Spartan on Long Rock again probably 1968

post-25234-0-59023600-1541007611_thumb.jpg

And Spartan is a cop too!

Again Long Rock on 14/7/68

post-25234-0-85468100-1541008116_thumb.jpg

D863 Warrior outside, with D832 Onslaught inside. And D1070 Western Gauntlet

and D1073 Western Bulwark were on shed, but I'm not sure which features here.

I should explain that it is only now that I have a scanner/printer that I can copy these pics

which were developed and printed getting on for 50 years ago.

I do have some from the end of steam, which I will probably get around to sharing on

Huckford Road cos thats more appropriate for black 5s.

Should also say that modelling is still going on - but the pace is slow. Will share when

theres something see.

• Like 6

Have to give an update (no pics) but it's been a win win win afternoon.

Win 1 - Mrs MB went to whist, leaving me free to indulge in a vistit to the train room.

Win 2 - after some time very carefully reassembling the large prairie, I spotted a very small split in the

pick up wire insulation. As I had already added a direct wire to the motor in lieue of the chasis,

I added a replacement for the original. And hey presto success it runs. Then sorted the meshing

of the gears by tightening all screws.

Win 3 - Mrs MB returned to organise food, and she'd won money as well!

Should I quit while I'm ahead?

• Like 4

Have to give an update (no pics) but it's been a win win win afternoon.

Win 1 - Mrs MB went to whist, leaving me free to indulge in a vistit to the train room.

Win 2 - after some time very carefully reassembling the large prairie, I spotted a very small split in the

pick up wire insulation. As I had already added a direct wire to the motor in lieue of the chasis,

I added a replacement for the original. And hey presto success it runs. Then sorted the meshing

of the gears by tightening all screws.

Win 3 - Mrs MB returned to organise food, and she'd won money as well!

Should I quit while I'm ahead?

Hi

Where would be the fun in that???????

Keep up the good work,

Bill