A Cartoon of Helston(ish)

Mulgabill

• RMweb Gold

But would it have been allowed to depart from that line?  From what I've seen there were only 2 "proper" signals at Helston, for up trains. They were on a bracket near the signalbox. (There was another bracket just beyond the bridge, for down trains). Quite what they refered to, or what ground signals were also present, I am unsure. Thankfully I've not got to the signals stage yet, however I'll need to know.

The SRS (Signalling Records Society) diagrams for 1956 and 1958 (before and after a re-lock I assume) both show an Up Starting signal station side of the bridge and shunt discs in the sidings. So departing as you show is perfectly legitimate. The the second arm on the Up Home that you mention looks like it is a miniature arm reading to the shed.

Paul.

• RMweb Gold

I'm sure somebody asked about offloading facilities for the serpentine hoppers, but I can't find it at present. So whoever it was, thanks for asking.

But the serpentine is despatched from Helston(ish), so its only loading that needs to be catered for. This is done utilising the loading chute above

the kick-back siding, (opposite the engine shed). Offloading occurs "up country", although there seems to be great uncertainty as to where and why

in the real world. Here its in the fiddle yard, or would be if the loads were removable. Another job for the list!

Continuing the days sequence, with such photos as I have to hand:

Having deposited the tanks, the wagons are taken to the station loop. And the spare brakevan deposited on the goods shed road.

attachicon.gifDSC_0303.JPG

The wagons were then shunted down to the headshunt, to pick up the Bogie bolster, before being set back into the loading dock, to

complete the train with a brakevan.

attachicon.gifDSC_0304.JPG

Now what I suspect may be a contentious move. At 14:05 the goods departs for the junction.

attachicon.gifDSC_0305.JPG

But would it have been allowed to depart from that line?  From what I've seen there were only 2 "proper" signals at Helston, for up trains. They were on a bracket near the signalbox. (There was another bracket just beyond the bridge, for down trains). Quite what they refered to, or what ground signals were also present, I am unsure. Thankfully I've not got to the signals stage yet, however I'll need to know.

We finish with a couple of shots of the 14:05 goods approaching Truthwell Halt

attachicon.gifDSC_0306.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_0307.JPG

Next in the timetable is the 15:03 arrival of the branch passenger, but I'll have to find some playtime before I can bring you that.

T'was me that asked about unloading the hoppers, in the context of having a road with a bin for them to be unloaded into that might have been prohibited to locomotives on weight grounds, but you have very adequately explained the situation!

• RMweb Gold

I'm sure somebody asked about offloading facilities for the serpentine hoppers, but I can't find it at present. So whoever it was, thanks for asking.

But the serpentine is despatched from Helston(ish), so its only loading that needs to be catered for. This is done utilising the loading chute above

the kick-back siding, (opposite the engine shed). Offloading occurs "up country", although there seems to be great uncertainty as to where and why

in the real world. Here its in the fiddle yard, or would be if the loads were removable. Another job for the list!

Having deposited the tanks, the wagons are taken to the station loop. And the spare brakevan deposited on the goods shed road.

The wagons were then shunted down to the headshunt, to pick up the Bogie bolster, before being set back into the loading dock, to

Now what I suspect may be a contentious move. At 14:05 the goods departs for the junction.

Next in the timetable is the 15:03 arrival of the branch passenger, but I'll have to find some playtime before I can bring you that.

T'was me that asked about unloading the hoppers, in the context of having a road with a bin for them to be unloaded into that might have been prohibited to locomotives on weight grounds, but you have very adequately explained the situation!

Your up goods needs a signal to allow it to proceed from the loop to the running line, and the bracket at Helston may have used the right hand doll for this purpose.  The down bracket would have been a 'splitting' signal with the lower doll to the left indicating a route into the loop or yard, and the higher one to the right indicating the route into the platform road; Cwmdimbath has a similar arrangement.  More about signals when you come to installing them, but, yes, fine for a goods train to depart from the yard or loop out on to the main line and right away...

Your up goods needs a signal to allow it to proceed from the loop to the running line, and the bracket at Helston may have used the right hand doll for this purpose.  The down bracket would have been a 'splitting' signal with the lower doll to the left indicating a route into the loop or yard, and the higher one to the right indicating the route into the platform road; Cwmdimbath has a similar arrangement.  More about signals when you come to installing them, but, yes, fine for a goods train to depart from the yard or loop out on to the main line and right away...

Err, your goods train is missing a brake van, or is it a shunt within station limits?

All will be relieved that no operating rules were broken.

The brake van was attached, behind the bogie bolster.

Its just the inept photographer, (and editor), who managed not to catch it in the photos.

Shows I've still got a lot to learn in sharing this.

All the best

• 2 weeks later...

I've been doing a few fiddly things around the layout, without too much to show. But there is some news now so a quick catch up.

The mill is more or less finished, except for ironmongery, (drainpipes etc), but I'm taking my time to make sure it fits into its location ok.

I have noted and applied some of the previous advice, but will come back to that soon.

Today a couple of "won" items arrived; a couple of bungallows, for improvement and use near the bridge, and a Bullied Brake coach. The brake is the 2nd of a 3 coach set, represenative of the ones I travelled in from Mangotsfield to Bristol TM in 1965. I just need another brake, and to work out where to put the detailing parts, which were in a sealed pack, but don't have 2 of everythig!

I have been doing a bit of free form scenery, to fit behind the loco shed

post-25234-0-47720500-1501081630_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-71100100-1501081745_thumb.jpg

More will follow next time, although some glimpses may occur in the following pics which caught an unusual

working.

post-25234-0-75191200-1501081915_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-73148300-1501081997_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-13887700-1501080882_thumb.jpg

It was either the Plymouth Railway Circle, or the ANTB travel society, brakevan trip.

And departing, after their visit.

post-25234-0-64753900-1501080960_thumb.jpg

A couple from today to give an idea how the scenic board is looking behind the loco shed.

post-25234-0-01922700-1501081128_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-75535700-1501081204_thumb.jpg

I will get back to reporting on the mill when its located a bit better, and will do a proper sequence on the development of the scenic addition.

Both would benefit from having some trees added, but I'm told thats a winter job!

Must remember Jeffs last word in his reply on KL2 earlier. Patience

(Edited to include pics that were listed but not showing).

Edited by Mulgabill
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

There was a ground disc reading from each of the sidings in the yard (one of which was also the run round loop).  The Platform Starting Signal had a bracket arm to the left of the main doll which read to the engine shed siding.  The Up Advanced Starting Signal, by the overbridge, had a subsidiary Shunt Ahead arm which was retained with the 1957 lever frame renewal.

The Down Home Signal had a splitting arm (3 ft arm) bracketed off to the left which read to either the back siding or the runround loop/goods shed siding. 

• 4 weeks later...

May I rather belatedly thank those who responded re the signalling. This is a subject to which we will no doubt return, possibly once I get past the alternative work which allows prevarication at this stage.

There has been nothing on here for the last 2-3 weeks due to holidays. The sailing in the 1st week was no holiday, it was sooo windy, at least to start with. But I did have a 2nd

week away with most of the family, on the Gower. Good news got 2 grandchildren riding bikes 9without stabilisiers), bad news, didn't manage to escape to the Gwilli Railway. Must

be the first holiday in at least 42 years that we've not visited a railway!

Feels like the layout has not been progressing too much of late, but some fiddly things are being addressed. Notably much lineside fencing.

I will not dwell on it here and now, but have come up with a couple more trains in the days sequence, to photograph. In these some of you may notice what (little) progress has been made. Please jump in if anything strikes you. (Apologies that the pics may well included the detritis of the ongoing work).

Next train is a branch local. Notable that D6334 has now arrived to free the prairie, after D6338 failed earlier. It seems to have brought a couple of Bullid coaches with it, to strengthen the working.

post-25234-0-11086500-1503488270_thumb.jpg

Here arriving, on time at 17:14 a M-Th only working.

post-25234-0-55098500-1503488813_thumb.jpg

About to couple up after running around, for 17:35 departure

post-25234-0-99851400-1503489036_thumb.jpg

and passing Truthwell Halt on the return.

post-25234-0-46517300-1503489146_thumb.jpg

The Bullied coaches are appearing for various reasons. I ave them, as they are 2 /3 of the set I am getting to go with my Std Cl 3mt tank. Representative of the train I caught from Mangotsfuield to Bristo TM in about 1965. I also recall in the late 50s seeing the St Ives branch train including both green and Carmine/cream coaches, albeit from a distance across the estuary at Hayle Towans.

Good to be back!

• Like 5

As a bit of a bonus, a few pics of the next branch service. Some explanation is required as its

not based on the "true" timetable.

Earlier in this series of posts we saw a hymek working a Penzance - St Ives Helston working.

It was in fact substituting for a railcar or auto-train. As far as I know this didn't happen, but I

surmise it could have. A form of commuter train for residents of the Lizard, Helston, Hayle and

St Ives to get into / home from work in Penzance. If you accept this premise, then its only a small

syep further to think that Long Rock shed pre-emted GW150 by repainting their pet railcar in full

GW livery in the late 50s

So here we see her leaving Truthwell Halt on the evening working

post-25234-0-24095000-1503601164_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-90847800-1503601884_thumb.jpg

Arrived at Helston 18:40

post-25234-0-10462400-1503601992_thumb.jpg

After departure at 19:05 it is seen returning to Penzance.

post-25234-0-13223700-1503602230_thumb.jpg

The return workings are lightly loaded, so there is a proposal to stable the unit at Helstonish

overnight, we'll have to see how that develops!

Any ideas/comments?

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

i know that these days traincrew get taxied all over the place, but then I would have thought that the unit would need to return to PZ to get the crew home. Advice needed from someone who knows rather than me who thinks he does.

Paul.

Unless the crew are outstationed at Helstonish, then the railcar can be stabled overnight and the crew book on by phone to PZ.  The problem is when the railcar won't start...

Now theres a thought, opens up some interesting opportunities!

• 2 weeks later...

Slow progress has continued with Helstonish, mostly developing the scenics on the corner board around the mill.

To do this has required the production of quite a lot of wire fencing, but fortunately Mrs Mulgabill has become faster than me at

threading the posts, and we now have enough to also do the scenic panel which sits behind the engine shed. (Having now fitted

pretty much all thats required on the mill board).

To give a flavour I have caught some shots (out of sequence), from a few years before the schedule we are working through. Showing

4569 wending its way back up the branch engine and van, at the end of it's days work.

post-25234-0-01811200-1504985285_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-83977500-1504985432_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-34840500-1504985608_thumb.jpg

the next 3 are similar views, playing around with a view out of the road bridge at Truthwell Halt. Not easy with the SLR as I cannot actually

see what its pointing at, or focusing on. Interesting results, although I haven't shared the one where the bookshelf is in focus, and all the

model a blur.

post-25234-0-91428200-1504985895_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-34407900-1504985992_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-60545000-1504986114_thumb.jpg

I think the scene around the mill is developing quite well, but still needs some trees to help set the scene. Any observations will be of interest,

I am ver open to suggestions, as I don't have a clear picture of where this scene is going to end up.

Unexpectedly it seems I may be able to go to the exhibition at steam tomorrow, any readers please let me know if you'll be there,, it would be good

to meet up.

All the best

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

I've conciously tried to concentrate on actually progressing the scenics, ahead of posting bits on here.

Now I do feel things are getting somewhere, although there is some way still to go.

The next set(s) of photos were taken over a period, and there could be some errant items appear in the background, but

hopefully you'll get the gist. Sort of Helstonishish!

Next in the sequence is the evening returning Pencarn - Helstonish Milk Empties, due 19:25

First seen passing the Mill crossing, viewing which poses a question - How would such a crossing be operated? It must be too

far to work from the Helstonish box, although that could cover the signalling (if required).

post-25234-0-11087400-1505998921_thumb.jpg

Arriving in platform road

post-25234-0-01273500-1505999003_thumb.jpg

Having run round the Hymek shunts back into the milk depot to clear the full tanks from the loading point.

post-25234-0-22186400-1505999433_thumb.jpg

Having deposited them on the loop, the train sets back the empties into depot.

post-25234-0-00651200-1505999637_thumb.jpg

The vans are returned to the station to unload some churns, and incoming butter and cream.

post-25234-0-70455300-1505999752_thumb.jpg

Whilst that is being done, the loco set about sorting the yard. Wagons were cleared from the goods shed road,

and deposited alongside the loading bank. The vans in the goods shed were then removed and taken to fetch

the empty vans from the milk.

post-25234-0-06893900-1506000082_thumb.jpg

And to end this set the loaded parcels vans are left for collection later.

post-25234-0-91178100-1506000211_thumb.jpg

On reflection there is little sign of the scenics progress in this set, but it could be interesting how much

shows up in the next set. Especially given that there is only 40 minutes until the next branch train is due!

Before I finish , and to see whos still keeping up, could I ask

1) Andy P please could you put some more close ups of your point rodding, on here. Could be a next step

for me, but only if I can bodge it, I can't afford to follow Jeff (KL2) style.

2) If there are (still) any local viewers might be interested in a visit to Helstonish, please let me know. I'll then try to

negotiate clearance with Mrs MulgaBill. It feels like some objective views could be useful at this stage.

All the best

• Like 8

Seems like people "like" Helstonish, but are a bit lacking in comments. Is it that bland, or just perfect?

Having got to about 19:45 in the timetable, I realised there was an ommission. There are 2 locos left on shed, and another

due to arrive with the branch train shortly.

Therefore we see an unscheduled LE working, the Hymek and class 22 departing for Long Rock.

post-25234-0-90973200-1506103739_thumb.jpg

Whilst we wait for the 20:05 arrival I'll share a couple of photos of the shed area. Whilst these are from an earlier period (14xx

stabled), the background is right up to date. Major continuity error there, good job this isn't a film.

post-25234-0-70976400-1506103941_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-62133400-1506104047_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-87066400-1506104150_thumb.jpg

I think this is a much improved area, with a lot of fencing added, but more to come along the join on the flat section.

I can't make my mind up as to which side of the board joint to fix it. (Or indeed whether to cop out and build up a low wall

instead.)  Any thoughts?

I'm already playing with knocking up a low relief barn to sit on the flat area (top right), made from 40 yr old linka brickwork,

suplemented by some new from modelling clay, in linka moulds. This is based on another barn in Slad (Glos) almost oposite

the one that was the inspiration for the milk depot. But in brick rather than more stone.

Will be back soon with pics of that service train.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Seems like people "like" Helstonish, but are a bit lacking in comments. Is it that bland, or just perfect?

Having got to about 19:45 in the timetable, I realised there was an ommission. There are 2 locos left on shed, and another

Therefore we see an unscheduled LE working, the Hymek and class 22 departing for Long Rock.

attachicon.gifDSC_0390.JPG

Whilst we wait for the 20:05 arrival I'll share a couple of photos of the shed area. Whilst these are from an earlier period (14xx

stabled), the background is right up to date. Major continuity error there, good job this isn't a film.

attachicon.gifDSC_0404.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_0405.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_0406.JPG

I think this is a much improved area, with a lot of fencing added, but more to come along the join on the flat section.

I can't make my mind up as to which side of the board joint to fix it. (Or indeed whether to cop out and build up a low wall

instead.)  Any thoughts?

I'm already playing with knocking up a low relief barn to sit on the flat area (top right), made from 40 yr old linka brickwork,

suplemented by some new from modelling clay, in linka moulds. This is based on another barn in Slad (Glos) almost oposite

the one that was the inspiration for the milk depot. But in brick rather than more stone.

Not bland at all Tony. Simple, effective and nice - but not bland.

Went to the Lydney show yesterday, and had an enjoyable time.

As the granson who was to accompany us was to be dropped off at about 11, we decided to use the

time form our arrival just after 10 to browse the sales stands. But boy did it feel odd walking into

all the virtually empty rooms, and not engage the layouts. Bet there were a few operators wondering

what we were there for.

Did get a couple of "bargains". some Mikes Models gas lamps (4) for £3.50 - should fairly easily make

Truthwell Halt look better (replacing the merit example currently in situ).

However I would really like, sometime, to upgrade further to an example of a GW Oil Lamp. Does anybody

do one?

But best buy was a pack of MSE GWR 1920 pattern ground signals (kit). Couldnot really see just what was in the packet

when I picked them up. On opening my best hopes were confirmed, there were actually 6 sets of parts i.e enough for 12 signals.

Mind you I'm not at all sure about the references, in the instructions, to low melt solder, and making them operable. May need all

those spares to get just enpough.

Anybody with any advice, or able to demonstrate what I should be doing?

ps should have said the signals cost the princely sum of £3!

Edited by Mulgabill
  • Like 1

I've conciously tried to concentrate on actually progressing the scenics, ahead of posting bits on here.

Now I do feel things are getting somewhere, although there is some way still to go.

The next set(s) of photos were taken over a period, and there could be some errant items appear in the background, but

hopefully you'll get the gist. Sort of Helstonishish!

Next in the sequence is the evening returning Pencarn - Helstonish Milk Empties, due 19:25

First seen passing the Mill crossing, viewing which poses a question - How would such a crossing be operated? It must be too

far to work from the Helstonish box, although that could cover the signalling (if required).

attachicon.gifDSC_0378.JPG

Arriving in platform road

attachicon.gifDSC_0381.JPG

Having run round the Hymek shunts back into the milk depot to clear the full tanks from the loading point.

attachicon.gifDSC_0383.JPG

Having deposited them on the loop, the train sets back the empties into depot.

attachicon.gifDSC_0384.JPG

The vans are returned to the station to unload some churns, and incoming butter and cream.

attachicon.gifDSC_0385.JPG

Whilst that is being done, the loco set about sorting the yard. Wagons were cleared from the goods shed road,

and deposited alongside the loading bank. The vans in the goods shed were then removed and taken to fetch

the empty vans from the milk.

attachicon.gifDSC_0386.JPG

And to end this set the loaded parcels vans are left for collection later.

attachicon.gifDSC_0388.JPG

On reflection there is little sign of the scenics progress in this set, but it could be interesting how much

shows up in the next set. Especially given that there is only 40 minutes until the next branch train is due!

Before I finish , and to see whos still keeping up, could I ask

1) Andy P please could you put some more close ups of your point rodding, on here. Could be a next step

for me, but only if I can bodge it, I can't afford to follow Jeff (KL2) style.

2) If there are (still) any local viewers might be interested in a visit to Helstonish, please let me know. I'll then try to

negotiate clearance with Mrs MulgaBill. It feels like some objective views could be useful at this stage.

All the best

Here we go Tony, Track Nails and bent wire,

post-9335-0-42233800-1506353315_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-03754400-1506353379_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-78316200-1506353396_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-64225300-1506353417_thumb.jpg

Hope that helps Tony,

P.S. Check each one with Power on, before moving on to the next, to ensure there is no short with the wire under the Rails.

attachicon.gifDSC_0390.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_0404.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_0405.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_0406.JPG

instead.)  Any thoughts?

Yes I agree with St Enodoc, certainly NOT bland, and some nice workings as well.

Thanks to John and Andy for the kind words - mind you do you think I'll attract many extra readers with a tag line of "its not bland"?

Continuing our journey through a day in the life.....

The evening local is noticed emerging under Truthwell Halt Bridge. It is noticable that this is no longer

anonymous platform, and now has some lighting on the platform. The approach path is also now fenced

and signposted.

post-25234-0-75709400-1506434595_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-37982700-1506434779_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-16017700-1506434863_thumb.jpg

After arriving at its destination, it was neccessary for the NB type2 to shunt the milk tanks in order to run round its train.

(Since the layouts return from Taunton I have removed the gradient beyond the bridge. This has also taken away any ability to use a gravity shunt to release the loco, even though that would be prototypicaly correct).

post-25234-0-73513000-1506435014_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-80857200-1506435253_thumb.jpg

Having cleared the way, the loco paused to collect the loaded parcels vans from the yard.

post-25234-0-85773400-1506435402_thumb.jpg

These were added to the front of the stock for the 20:35 departure

post-25234-0-25011000-1506435619_thumb.jpg

Which we see approaching Truthwell Halt

post-25234-0-44420600-1506435757_thumb.jpg

We are getting near the end of the days services, with only 2 or 3 evening services left.

Hopefully there are a few bits of the scenic developments to be found in these pics. Work on some more trees has just started

and I think that will improve the scene a lot.

As always, comments welcomed.

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Thats 1 yr up for this thread, and therefore the "official" 2nd aniversary of the start of the layout.

Will try to bring a few more up to date photos later, after work. Although we've not got quite as far as I'd hoped by this momentous day.

• Like 4

Sorry bit later than I had intended, but felt the need to rush back out after work to the Cathedrals Express through Stonehouse, en-route to Gloucester.

It was running so well I didn't hear it coming, and it had picked up about 10 mins of lost time, from Swindon. So I got a glimpse as it rushed over my head,

but no photos!

So as promised some more pics, these are not part of the days sequence, which we have yet to complete.

1st up a couple from earlier days of a 14xx resting on shed, this also shows the early stages of the recent developments behind the station/shed

post-25234-0-55316000-1507649454_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-20102700-1507649571_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-78457200-1507649652_thumb.jpg

Also a couple of an engineering posession at Truthwell Halt, to replace the gas lamp (Mikes Models swapped in for the old Merit)

post-25234-0-40653000-1507649746_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-77900500-1507649822_thumb.jpg

The tree above the halt may or may not be planted, pending completion of the rest of the current batch being grown!

A couple have been planted already, one hard against the mill, and the other above the cutting, between the 2 existing examples.

post-25234-0-02563500-1507650275_thumb.jpg

post-25234-0-65556700-1507650761_thumb.jpg

Will try to bring a few more, of more recent progress, later.

Edited by Mulgabill
  • Like 3