Building a Judith Edge PWM 650 in 00

MJI

• RMweb Premium

This is a build thread for my Judith Edge PWM650 kit in 4mm scale built as rigid OO.

The company story is on Michael Edge's thread, but I found him extremely helpful, as he said he just designs them while his wife runs the sales side.

I am building mainly by the instructions, but with some diffrrences as I am using Gibson wheels which I do not want to remove once fitted. So want to paint before fittng wheels.

I am using 145 solder, with phosphoric acid flux, a 25W soldering iron I use for electronics work and 99% of my soldering skill is from electronic and electrics, I can even solder SMD. I am also using Tamaya masking tape as a tool for holding things. As well as a clamp I have had for years.

Open box with all the bits in.
post-14686-0-59485900-1479065301_thumb.jpg

Diagram in the instructions.
post-14686-0-88249700-1479065309_thumb.jpg

The Gibson parts
post-14686-0-18327200-1479065318_thumb.jpg

The motor
post-14686-0-66867900-1479065329_thumb.jpg

Start with the frames.
post-14686-0-19262900-1479065930_thumb.jpg

The spacers
post-14686-0-53184400-1479065938_thumb.jpg

Box with bearings fitted
post-14686-0-06690200-1479065988_thumb.jpg

Last 2 spacers
post-14686-0-40757000-1479066006_thumb.jpg

Wire for brake rigging, not sure what that other hole is for, this is where I will divert by priming and brush painting before finishing off. Just need to make a wheel press of some sort.
post-14686-0-12780800-1479066013_thumb.jpg

post-14686-0-63103400-1479066023_thumb.jpg

The buffer beams, seam solder and file neat.
post-14686-0-81397800-1479066031_thumb.jpg

Fitting them, the diagram is a map to the temporary location of my dentists during building work!
post-14686-0-86453300-1479066104_thumb.jpg
post-14686-0-63243200-1479066111_thumb.jpg

Worst job so far, fitting the footplate edges.
post-14686-0-93652100-1479066117_thumb.jpg

Since then I have fitted buffers, no more progress until next weekend

Edited by MJI
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium
  • RMweb Premium

The other hole in the frame plate is for the simple compensation system which you have not used, it's the pivot point between the two axles. Your buffers are the right ones, the oval heads are added to the round ones as in full size practice. Congratulations on getting on with it so quickly, looks OK so far.

• RMweb Premium

The other hole in the frame plate is for the simple compensation system which you have not used, it's the pivot point between the two axles. Your buffers are the right ones, the oval heads are added to the round ones as in full size practice. Congratulations on getting on with it so quickly, looks OK so far.

I should have realised about the compensation beams, did not seem worth doing it as the other 060 chassis I have built have not fallen off the track, I do really need to finish my A1 05 but to be honest it is a not very good kit, so struggling a little, was detailing it off IOW pictures, but still need to sort jackshaft axle.

As to the Vulcan 04 I built many years ago, still needs glazing.

PWM650 looks like the best shunter kit I have tackled so far.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I had built most of the A1 models shunters before I started designing our kits, I thought most of them were quite good at the time. I did use quite a lot of their 05 kit to build MDHB No 34 for Herculaneum Dock but since the original frames wore out that has been running on a set of Judith Edge frames.

I didn't worry about compensation at first but have gradually added it as an option in most kits, PWM650 does not have full compensation, just beams linking two axles. Although this is well worth doing, more recent kits have full compensation. This has always been just an option, rigid construction is always possible and we usually recommend it for beginners.

• RMweb Premium

I had built most of the A1 models shunters before I started designing our kits, I thought most of them were quite good at the time. I did use quite a lot of their 05 kit to build MDHB No 34 for Herculaneum Dock but since the original frames wore out that has been running on a set of Judith Edge frames.

I didn't worry about compensation at first but have gradually added it as an option in most kits, PWM650 does not have full compensation, just beams linking two axles. Although this is well worth doing, more recent kits have full compensation. This has always been just an option, rigid construction is always possible and we usually recommend it for beginners.

I think slightly simple makes it easier to build a reliable model, I tried scratch building a compensated chassis for an Airfix mogul - failed, anyway I do need to finish the Comet frames I bought as a replacement as I could not get my chassis quite right. But wheels were damaged when being removed.

But the 05 coupling rods are in parts and quite fiddly to assemble. Tony Wright did make one suggestion for brass, use low melt 145 and not tin lead rosin cored (used for an etched coach kit many years ago). Due to this PWM650 is falling together.

I will get my 05 finished afterwards (no idea why I got it but I just like it, just need a blue underground train to go with it).

To anyone following, I have built 1 white metal loco, nearly finished an older etched loco, 1 etched coach (with issues I am fixing), so I am not a super skilled modeller just an average one who is not scared of a soldering iron.

But get the correct tool and materials, I struggled using electrical solder, yes it flows well but the heat required is quite high. I have some more powerful flux if I need it but phosphoric acid has been fine so far.

Tamaya tape is working very well for holiding parts together.

And to anyone else worried about jumping in, brass is easier to solder than white metal, my 04 is more welded together than soldered!

• RMweb Premium

Ok not done much today (late up shopping ect)

But fitted 2 lifting eyes, very fiddky but I have a technique now - blutac

Also the 2 footplate brackets, one soldered to chassis and one to footplate

• RMweb Premium

End of page one, now page 2

Grease or wax the footplate

Not sure what is suitable?

Copperslip, vaseline, the stuff I use in wheel bearings?

May use a piece of paper.

Now I need more stuff, I think I wil struggle on with the 25w soldering iron.

But will be getting some solder cream for the doors

• RMweb Premium

Right piccies later with comments, but 2 14BA nuts are missing, they literally vanished.

Note the lifting brackets, not obvious from instructions which way they go round, I used pictures to check orientation.

• RMweb Premium

Hi

I used Vaseline when I did the Judith Edge Harton.

Cheers

Paul

• RMweb Premium

It doesn't matter, as long as it inhibits the solder from flowing through the joint. Paper adds an unnecessary thickness, I use grease, wax or Vaseline just as good.

• RMweb Premium

2 for tips vaseline so I will use that thanks.

At least I am learning!

Solder cream seems difficult to get at the moment so will try a very thin tinning and sweat together.

Have emailed you requesting price for 2 nuts!

I think they may have gone through a very small gap in the laminate flooring.

• RMweb Premium

I think I will have to use higher melting point solder for some tasks on any future builds for footsteps and the like, steps falling off when fitting, either that or use more heatsinks.

Even though wrong period I do fancy one of the early jackshaft 08 alike shunters.

Just need to find some chisel ends for tidying solder in a couple of places!

My current task though is tidying up the cab and doing those rivet heads, there is some very fine etching on the window frames.

• RMweb Premium

2 for tips vaseline so I will use that thanks.

At least I am learning!

Solder cream seems difficult to get at the moment so will try a very thin tinning and sweat together.

Have emailed you requesting price for 2 nuts!

I think they may have gone through a very small gap in the laminate flooring.

Hi

Solder cream here

https://eileensemporium.com/index.php?option=com_hikashop&ctrl=product&task=show&cid=3454&name=solderpaste-188-deg-5ml-syringe&Itemid=189&category_pathway=1124

Personally I use Carrs Solder Paint (near the bottom of the page)

http://www.chronos.ltd.uk/acatalog/Engineering_Menu_Carrs_Solders___Fluxes___etc_346.html

Cheers

Paul