The big Leap starts with a Gronk

PjKing1

• RMweb Gold

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Appogies for the lack of any updates but I've been spending most of my time deciding on which way my 7mm ambitions will go over the last long few weeks. As some of you will know, various ideas have been thought about, looked into then had to be let go mostly due to size and my over excitable ideas that grow and grow. I have decided to give ELJ a go in 7mm but this will be a long term project but something I'm more than happy doing.

Over the last week though thoughts have still lingered regarding some sort of diesel depot/stabling point and this is where this little story fits in. I wasn't goin to post anything and I'm certainly not starting another thread but thought I'd add it here just to get a general feel for it and if anyone has any pics that I've missed so here goes.

Edgehill diesel serving point was a rather grim looking shabby corrugated two road dead end shed built on part of the old run down steam shed and was pretty small considering the amount of rail traffic in the area and the large number of diesels that visited it. The site of the steam shed was intact huge and this was used to stable locos.

5E28022B-613B-4A53-AFB5-28A5363B19C0_zps

BEA42ABB-B7E2-4EBF-815F-9647B0DC9DB4_zps

I'd looked at pics of it hundreds of times but it just never grabbed or appealed to me. That was till I looked at it again after months of trying various ideas out in 7mm. A two road shed, one fuel road serving the fuel storage tank, a siding along the side and line that ran around it leading to the other side of the old steam shed and various sidings etc.

A couple of links to pics of the fuelling point, also the siding and the line that runs along side it.

https://flic.kr/p/ohTQoJ

https://flic.kr/p/o1A763

https://flic.kr/p/dsKsoq

https://flic.kr/p/8Z7Kv9

https://flic.kr/p/dLKv7v

http://www.8arail.uk/uploads/6/1/2/0/61203125/1866838_orig.jpg

So having looked at this a couple of times and started researching photos it started to excite me, especially a photo of a Cl50 stabled next to a mineral wagon. I also had/have two options, build it as it is or use a bit of modellers licence and make it a through shed to increase operating potential. Either way the plan will be to make the shed itself look less like a metal lean-to and make it a bit more exciting.

Now this is basically something to get me running stuff and for photo opportunities, my long term O Gauge project ELJ will be getting worked on to, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to give this my all to.

A through shed will increase the length (max coming out between 12-16') but again it'll have to be built in sections, at one end is a sandstone viaduct which all lines to and from the shed disappear under so that's one scenic break I don't have to worry about, the other, well that's to think of something, possibly a building etc.

Due to the width I'd have to move the fuel storage road I think.

3864125A-9626-4951-827B-CC9426F90B0D_zps

Or as a through shed, again very rough drawings

307DD5FC-7100-4D20-B8FC-7FE9CE2A7E7C_zps

Still very much in the planning stage but quite happy with what it has to offer.

Cheers

• Like 2

Hi Paul

I completely agree with your idea of having something smaller to work on/ keep you busy.

Like you mention.. a place to photo/ showcase you weathering skills which you also get great pleasure from.

As much as I loved visiting the shed in its latter days, trying to model it was a different matter.. So I am pleased to hear that you are bending away from modelling a place accurately which I know you prefer.

Good Luck with it!

Steve

I completely agree with this direction Paul.

Nice and simple, you'll have the track built in no time, not a huge project, and you'll soon be onto the infrastructure, which is where 7mm will come into its own for you. It will as Scouser says, give you something to showcase your weathering skills on, and with a short traverser or cassette on the RH side, it will give you some operating potential!

I'll look forward to more

Jinty ;)

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Steve & Jinty I just can't wait to have something to take photos of locos on! Also I'll definitely be using a traverses or a cassette as it'll make things far easier.

Now you've mentioned you've visited the shed I'll be wanting to pick you brains Ste! ;)

Thanks again

Or as a through shed, again very rough drawings307DD5FC-7100-4D20-B8FC-7FE9CE2A7E7C_zps

Still very much in the planning stage but quite happy with what it has to offer.

Cheers

Starting to look a bit like Burton on Trent to me Paul :mosking:

• Like 1

Don't start him off again, it's taken this long to nail Paul down to ELJ mk whatever!!

Mike.

How about a hybrid.....

Then the signalbox/ground frame nameplate could be as long as the layout:

Burton (Edge Lane Junction) Stabling Point Shunting Frame :mosking:

• RMweb Gold

How about a hybrid.....

Then the signalbox/ground frame nameplate could be as long as the layout:

Burton (Edge Lane Junction) Stabling Point Shunting Frame :mosking:

Don't get my money mf wandering again Andy :O

When I do ELJ it'll be as the 4mm was going to be, Edgehill depot will be aside kind but I think I'm going to go with the prototype track plan as it'll save about 6-8' in extra length, I am going to alter the shed a bit and move the fuel storage line though I think.

Cheers

• RMweb Gold

Finally got an hour to start planning tonight using some n Gauge left overs, even something as simple as this is working out at 12'x3' at the moment and that's without the fuel storage siding.

4FB09EE0-AF1B-42E2-900A-F6C50DCF37CD_zps

226633A5-F116-4ED8-84DA-EDF0E13E3ACA_zps

A06C7AF0-840C-4435-8A48-B1A299140B15_zps

I've adapted the shed a bit but that's just to please me.

Cheers

• Like 3

Hi Paul, the planning looks good, don't be too hard on yourself for going "too" prototypical, as you say this is more of a showcase to capture the atmosphere of something local to you.

Best regards

Craig.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Paul, the planning looks good, don't be too hard on yourself for going "too" prototypical, as you say this is more of a showcase to capture the atmosphere of something local to you.

Best regards

Craig.

Thanks Graig, it's all quite scary though I do feel s but out of my comfort zone :O

• RMweb Gold

Looking good mate. Just wait till you see your locos sat on there!

Cheers Rich I can't wait :D the width is worrying me though think I'll have to try and do it in two, maybe a main 20-24" inch width with an extra 6-8" inches either side, otherwise it'll be two awkward to store and transport.

I'll look into that over the weej be though.

Thanks again

• RMweb Gold

Might be worth looking at splitting the entire width in two and going for 18" wide boards?  I've done that on Arksey and have to say they are a lot better and easier to lift that 24" boards I've done previously.  Just a though for you.  Two 18" side by side would give 36" to play with....

Rich

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Might be worth looking at splitting the entire width in two and going for 18" wide boards?  I've done that on Arksey and have to say they are a lot better and easier to lift that 24" boards I've done previously.  Just a though for you.  Two 18" side by side would give 36" to play with....

Rich

Cheers Rich been looking into where to split the boards but it won't work right down the middle due to the shed, n Gauge is so much easier :O

Cheers

• RMweb Gold

Some modelling done two nights on the run!

Last night I gave the wheels two coats of frame dirt.

642722DB-58E3-4EDA-A01E-12033D00A96D_zps

Big Sam didn't look to impressed

1435D0E3-DA4F-4545-B070-D6DB839005B9_zps

Then the first layer of grime tonight on the bogie side frames

4B3A9F85-3ECB-42AE-8A8B-9124F2F268D4_zps

37F20C57-F813-46DA-95F6-21BFC55F1985_zps

6708C825-60EC-405E-98B4-0C11A8D3BACE_zps

C3A2F0B3-FD08-4B37-B168-DE4736CD64F5_zps

E606E714-3E5E-4D60-8A98-6E7976256F61_zps

AD5BB053-13D8-42F5-887D-1DB24EF70663_zps

Only anther 5 layers to go an a nice distraction from the frustration of the las couple of weeks.

Cheers

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Instead of wanting the boards fit the track plan why not make the track plan fit the boards

Make them first then get templates out and have a mess around

Brian

I've been trying that using A4 cut to size and the n gauge track but I get carried away, that's why I'm taking a break with the weathering, I might just build a display case instead :D

Cheers Rich been looking into where to split the boards but it won't work right down the middle due to the shed, n Gauge is so much easier :O

Cheers

Paul if you are naturally clumsy or ham-fisted ....... forget it !!!!

But then again when will the 1/2 price sale of your 7mm stuff begin ?  :O

Best regards

Craig.

• RMweb Gold

Paul if you are naturally clumsy or ham-fisted ....... forget it !!!!

But then again when will the 1/2 price sale of your 7mm stuff begin ?  :O

Best regards

Craig.

Haha my 7mm stuff is going nowhere and I'll definitely not be going back to 2 or 4mm, I know one thing I'm building I'm just thinking of a few ideas to make sure I'm happy etc.

Cheers

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

But then again when will the 1/2 price sale of your 7mm stuff begin ? :O

Best regards

Craig.

Haha! As his 47 is sat in Marsh Lane Works awaiting its DCC fitment ... can I have first dabs on this half price sale!! Hahaha!

You'll get there mate just don't be in a rush. Step back do your weathering and then come back to it ... very difficult not to go off at a tangent!

Rich