Model Rail/Rapido Trains GER/LNER 'J70' 0-6-0T 'Project Toby'

dibber25

The 'J70' project has been given the go-ahead to the next stage, which is the assembly of a research package for the manufacturer and the start of design work. I'm starting this as the place on which I can give updates on the progress of the 'J70' project, and where you'll be able to comment once we have anything to show you (subject to approval by Rapido). 

• Like 19

I suppose a question that should be asked is if there will be the coaches to go with them, there were some on display at the stand at Warley alongside the kitbuilt trams.

The coach displayed at Warley was one which I built from a D&S brass kit. We are still in the very early stages of this project but I have a personal interest in seeing the bogie coach done and will be pushing the case for doing it, although everything will depend on the costs and whether we think we can sell enough to make it viable. (CJL)

• Like 7
  • Agree 1

The coach displayed at Warley was one which I built from a D&S brass kit. We are still in the very early stages of this project but I have a personal interest in seeing the bogie coach done and will be pushing the case for doing it, although everything will depend on the costs and whether we think we can sell enough to make it viable. (CJL)

The coach was delightful (as was the loco). I'd buy the coach+loco, but the loco on its own would, for me, be just a display item, so I'd be unlikely to buy it.

Paul

• Like 1

Chris,

That's absolutely fantastic news! Look forward to seeing the next step come to fruition.

With or without matching coaching stock I'll be committed and on board to support the project.

David

Edited by south_tyne
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Could anyone please let me have the email address to which we are to send our livery choices?

You can send to me:

chris.leigh@bauermedia.co.uk

We're compiling a spreadsheet which will give us an idea of the quantities in each livery. The intention now is to produce one set of tooling for a loco with full outside valve gear and with the etched skirts included so the modeller can fit them if he wishes. Design work is expected to start after Chinese New Year. (CJL)

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Excuse my ignorance but what gauge are we talking of?

OO gauge.

Also as Chris has posted the email the livery choices are:

With/ without sideplates?

Sound?

Opening windows and end doors?

Great Eastern Rly

LNER

BR lettering

BR early emblem

GER & BR crest won for me in the end ;)

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Midland Mole

I am really exited about this project. Cannot wait to see the results and the first samples. Whatever liveries/options they do I will buy as I only want them for display anyway. :)

Alex

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

I do not like the LNER.............do not need a J70.............do not intend to model anythimg East of Hampshire.......ever.................

However,.....................the idea appeals (too much Toby the tram engine methinks)...............I have a soft spot for the Wisbech and Upwell..............and as for a Titfield branch coach..........

Rob

If Rapido are keen to do the coach(presumably the bogie one), then why not do the shorter one as well. Much of its design is the same, just fewer windows, so could share the cost. Obviously this would increase the overall cost,but a set with loco and one of each coach, in GER livery would be well received. Why only go only half way, when you could complete the journey.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Obviously this would increase the overall cost,but a set with loco and one of each coach, in GER livery would be well received. Why only go only half way, when you could complete the journey.

The cost is why it's extra risk which with several models being put on hold obviously isn't worth it at present ;)

At least two of the locos I'm interested in and obviously I'd have one of the coaches too.

Edited by PaulRhB

The cost is why it's extra risk which with several models being put on hold obviously isn't worth it at present ;)

At least two of the locos I'm interested in and obviously I'd have one of the coaches too.

I think the coach is now unlikely. The set-up cost would make it nearly as expensive as the loco. (CJL)

• RMweb Gold

I think the coach is now unlikely. The set-up cost would make it nearly as expensive as the loco. (CJL)

I can see that, apart from motor and circuit board it would have nearly as many parts!

One of the few models I sold off when I was building big layouts and wish I had kept. So the MR editions will do nicely and no doubt be better painted.

Edited by PaulRhB

Fair enough and that won't make one iota of difference regarding my support. The coaching stock has a limited lifespan and, importantly for Model Rail, limited range of livery options due to the passenger service being withdrawn so early. Obviously there is the old D&S kit and, if there is a demand, someone will step into the the void and produce another.

I applaud Model Rail for being so proactive and pressing on with the project. As mentioned above, I've no doubt the 'Toby' factor will attract the casual enthusiast as well as the die-hard W&U and GER fans,hopefully ensuring a good market for sales :) Obviousot this is going to be a long-term project but I cannot wait for it to reach fruition!

I'm feeling inspired... just dug out the Peter Paye W&U book for some weekend reading!

• Agree 1

Guest Midland Mole

I agree with south_tyne, the lack of coach makes no difference to me. I still think this is a fantastic project, and applaud Model Rail for doing it! :)

Alex