Oxford Rail Annouce 4-Wheel Toad

Edwardian

Having now obtained a copy of the Model Railway Constructor for May 1976 I see that it includes a useful list of brake van 'conversions for service use', mostly AA3's, the conversions taking place between 1942 and 1949, in addition to the drawings of the main Brake Van diagrams. I think it is a good example of how sometimes less is more, as the text and drawings summarise the variations from AA1 through to AA21 very succinctly. 

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

Whatever the issues may or may not be with these, they are competitively priced and very easy to take to bits!

attachicon.gifDDE97D85-AC47-4E45-AEF0-FF4075779E92.jpeg

Let Castle bodgery commence!

All the best,

Castle

What's the secret to dismantling these? So far, I've found it anything but easy to take apart. I've taken out the screws above the couplers but still can't get the body off. (CJL)

Edited by dibber25

What's the secret to dismantling these? So far, I've found it anything but easy to take apart. I've taken out the screws above the couplers but still can't get the body off. (CJL)

I assume you have pulled the buffers out?

Regards,

Martin

I assume you have pulled the buffers out?

Regards,

Martin

No, I haven't. Just the metal heads, presumably? Thanks I'll go from there, before I break any more bits off!

Subsequent edit:

I've now removed the complete buffers from the verandah end and have managed to get the body off. The buffers at the other end won't budge, however, and I nearly destroyed one of them by trying to remove it. Thanks for the tip, anyway -  strange assembly method. (CJL)

Edited by dibber25

You should be able to push the buffers out from behind the buffer beam.

The buffers at the van end proved impossible to remove, either pulling or pushing. Fortunately, with the buffers pulled out from the verandah end, I managed to manouvre the chassis out from behind the buffers at the other end. I guess they have been glued in. (CJL)

• 1 month later...

There is an additional error in the Oxford AA3 toad to Miss Prism's very useful checklist and that is the size and position of the windows at the non veranda end. I checked through both volumes of the Karau/Turner epic history of the Watlington branch and there are a couple of useful photos of the AA3 allocated to Princes Risborough. One is of 56441 parked in the furniture factory siding at Risborough and clearly shows that the prototype windows were not as tall as the central "window" (which should be an access hatch) and they should be placed about 1 plank higher. Interestingly, the van still bears a 16T rating, so not all were upgraded to 20T.

The other photo is of the entrance to Watlington station and shows quite clearly the non veranda end of a toad, which I assume (possibly incorrectly) is also an AA3. This is out of service but in use as a mess hut. The photo is dated 1951. This shows the size of the two windows in the end panels as being the same as 56441, i.e. not as tall and placed a little higher up than on the 4mm version. What is interesting is that it looks as though the access hatch in the central panel is open as you can see right through the van. On the other hand, it may have had a window cut in it ..... If so, was this before or after it became a mess hut?

I invested in an Oxford AA3 with the intention of replacing one or both of the two Bachmann toads I need for use on Woodstowe. However, given the amount of work required to deal with the most obvious problems with the Oxford product, I may shell out for the Hornby version. Pity really, as the AA3 is really a more characterful vehicle with its short wheelbase.

I don't think anyone else has mentioned the window errors, but I've only skipped through most of this thread just looking for posts detailing the errors rather than reading all of them thoroughly. If anyone has spotted them, apologies!

David C

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I bought my second Ox toad on Wednesday, an early BR liveried 6-wheeler, and have decided to leave this one with the windows as they are, errors notwithstanding.  I am not a perfectionist, nobody whose loco stud includes a Hornby 2721 could call himself that, though I did model open windows and lamp hatch on my other one to show interior detail; I made a stove pipe out of the plastic stem from a cotton bud, finescale modeller that I am (not).  Happy in general with both vans, they capture the essence and the price is very reasonable, but Hornby's is pretty good too; the two types between them have enabled me to withdraw my Bachmanns with moulded handrails and out-of-alignment brake blocks from service.

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

There is an additional error in the Oxford AA3 toad to Miss Prism's very useful checklist and that is the size and position of the windows at the non veranda end. I checked through both volumes of the Karau/Turner epic history of the Watlington branch and there are a couple of useful photos of the AA3 allocated to Princes Risborough. One is of 56441 parked in the furniture factory siding at Risborough and clearly shows that the prototype windows were not as tall as the central "window" (which should be an access hatch) and they should be placed about 1 plank higher. I

I don't think anyone else has mentioned the window errors, 

It has already been mentioned somewhere, if not on this thread, then maybe on the 6 wheeler thread.

• RMweb Gold

There is quite a bit of variation over the lifespan of a toad brakevan. They generally had a rebuild every 7 years or so. Rebuilds might well be to the later mark, so you would see AA15-ish vehicles rebuilt to AA23 standard. All in all, very confusing for the restorer, let alone the model company who wouldn't necessarily know what an S/C buffer is, or a through pipe or fitted version. Try having a look over the VCT website, where about 50% of preserved toads are misplaced into incorrect numbers.

Got to go now. Mummy says I need to wear my anorak....

Ian.

(Currently restoring an AA23 toad).

• 3 weeks later...

There is an additional error in the Oxford AA3 toad to Miss Prism's very useful checklist and that is the size and position of the windows at the non veranda end. I checked through both volumes of the Karau/Turner epic history of the Watlington branch and there are a couple of useful photos of the AA3 allocated to Princes Risborough. One is of 56441 parked in the furniture factory siding at Risborough and clearly shows that the prototype windows were not as tall as the central "window" (which should be an access hatch) and they should be placed about 1 plank higher. Interestingly, the van still bears a 16T rating, so not all were upgraded to 20T.

The other photo is of the entrance to Watlington station and shows quite clearly the non veranda end of a toad, which I assume (possibly incorrectly) is also an AA3. This is out of service but in use as a mess hut. The photo is dated 1951. This shows the size of the two windows in the end panels as being the same as 56441, i.e. not as tall and placed a little higher up than on the 4mm version. What is interesting is that it looks as though the access hatch in the central panel is open as you can see right through the van. On the other hand, it may have had a window cut in it ..... If so, was this before or after it became a mess hut?

I invested in an Oxford AA3 with the intention of replacing one or both of the two Bachmann toads I need for use on Woodstowe. However, given the amount of work required to deal with the most obvious problems with the Oxford product, I may shell out for the Hornby version. Pity really, as the AA3 is really a more characterful vehicle with its short wheelbase.

I don't think anyone else has mentioned the window errors, but I've only skipped through most of this thread just looking for posts detailing the errors rather than reading all of them thoroughly. If anyone has spotted them, apologies!

David C

This seems to be a classic example of 'Don't believe what the drawings tell you !' ......most of the drawings in the GWR Wagons bible show the windows in the lower position but the photos show them one plank higher - so if the wagons themselves were wrongly built, what chance have we - or Oxford - of making a 'correct' model ??!? ( OK, I know they're only 'diagrams' so we SHOULD NOT rely on them for anything more than dimensions.)

• 7 months later...
17 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

Excellent article by Gerry Beale on what needs doing to the Oxford Toad, and how to do it, in MRJ 268.

I feel another purchase coming on.

John

I can certainly see more of the 4w examples joining my wagon fleet myself now these superb articles have come out :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

Excellent article by Gerry Beale on what needs doing to the Oxford Toad, and how to do it, in MRJ 268.

I feel another purchase coming on.

John

I have 2, one of which is on the bench, undergoing the required surgery, some pewter foil arrived in the week. Hopefully I can crack on in a day or two.

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

I’ve thrown my Oxford Rail Toad body in the bin and designed an AA6 body to fit the Oxford Chassis

DBFCC5EB-28D2-4A00-890C-10D6CB272430.jpeg.96ecb023b398bfb0c06da9e92ae4f58d.jpeg

It’s still a work in progress

IMG_4657.jpg.1841101999be9dadd7d46cad3898b6cb.jpg.43e5708a2dfe6697fe22118f4b031724.jpg

I've drawn it from photos so it’s not going to be 100% accurate (forgive me) but I’m glad to say the bungalow style windows have gone

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/135507-warren-branch/&do=findComment&comment=4056544

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

Either, depending on your era.

I was a little confused and wasn’t sure

I stupidly thought it was when the wagons were built (1890-1900) and not the time period they were in service, in this case 1934 (ish)

Thank you for your help, it’s appreciated 

On 22/07/2020 at 15:22, chuffinghell said:

I’ve thrown my Oxford Rail Toad body in the bin and designed an AA6 body to fit the Oxford Chassis

DBFCC5EB-28D2-4A00-890C-10D6CB272430.jpeg.96ecb023b398bfb0c06da9e92ae4f58d.jpeg

It’s still a work in progress

946EEF1D-63E8-47DF-9766-D61133E729F1.jpeg.bb251f6455eb33fa0d9bdd3080de896e.jpeg

I've drawn it from photos so it’s not going to be 100% accurate (forgive me) but I’m glad to say the bungalow style windows have gone

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/135507-warren-branch/&do=findComment&comment=4056544

Can these be purchased by peeps or is it your own 'private' print?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, lofty1966 said:

Can these be purchased by peeps or is it your own 'private' print?

I had planned to make it available for peeps to buy on Shapeways

I need to put together some form of instructions as slight modifications to the chassis is required removing part of the top flange either side of the step.

underside2.PNG.e0a0b67e0f230207510c976a14628953.PNG

And the support ribs (in yellow) removed from the print, I had to add these otherwise it would not pass the printing requirements, a very delicate procedure and not for the faint hearted

underside.PNG.d71cdaba855cfc22a82c85ad67edc9ae.PNG

• Like 3