R3468 '603 Squadron' '34077' Battle of Britain Class - Rebuilt

adb968008

• RMweb Gold

Here's another one just like the other one....

Latest reproduction of the BOB class that Hornby seems to tease us with, by only producing them in ones or twos a year :-)

Like Okehampton last year it has the screw coupling permanently attaching loco to tender (personally I like that), and a green that's slightly more matt that the early years ones of a decade ago.

post-20773-0-66423200-1486574601_thumb.jpgpost-20773-0-41406000-1486574609_thumb.jpgpost-20773-0-83616600-1486574616_thumb.jpg

Nice close up details

post-20773-0-82266100-1486574784_thumb.jpgpost-20773-0-85848300-1486574791_thumb.jpg

Set me back £130, which, compared to some rebuilds out there, is quite a nice price.

Like all rebuilds I doubt it will be around for long.

Just love rebuilts, but it's easy to get carried away, so 1 will make way for the new guy on shed !

Roll on Trevone !

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

I got this message today from Rails of Sheffield :

'New Hornby 603 Squadron on the way. Due in stock on Friday. This Locomotive is now sold out at Hornby so we are expecting our stocks to sell out fast. We have limited stocks left to sell so place your order now to reserve your loco for immediate dispatch on arrival.'

Priced at £144.50

Cheers,

Keith

Direct from the big red H.

Preorder price in 2016, with club discount.

Thanks for the info about Hornby honouring 2016 delayed model pre order prices made before the recent price increase. I was able to negotiate with my retailer as I had pre ordered in Jan 2016 and got it at an agreed £136. Hornby used to maintain original wholesale prices to retailers for delayed products, where there had been a pre order made at the old price, but my retailer is uncertain about how much additional discount Hornby are giving now in these circumstances. Dapol have stated publicly on their site that they have maintained prices on existing pre orders made before their recent increase. I'm beginning to wonder if pre ordering Hornby from a retailer is worth my while if I can get a better deal with Hornby on delayed products, rather than having a bazaar type haggle with a retailer. I just wish the situation was clearer to us end purchasers, after all it is our orders that enable retailers to gauge their needs and ultimately Hornby to set its production level with more accuracy.

• RMweb Gold

Hornby have always honoured pre-order prices when I have ordered online, in my circumstances, regardless the waiting time.

My Merchant Navy pre-order prices  are looking quite attractively priced right now, as was my Pecketts @£71 w/ discount.

Some dont like the collectors club, but with 10% off a product which may slip over 12 months before shipment, the honouring of the pre-order price is an attractive benefit.

The other benefit, is the product arrives at the head of the queue, often a day or two before shops, ergo a week before a mail order delivery... it's a nice surprise to wake up to an email saying a Hornby order is coming, when you didn't expect it, especially as the email doesnt say whats in the box !

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Gold

Got mine today from Hatton's.  However, try as I might I cannot get the tender body off to fit a decoder. There are two small screws at the back by the buffer beam but they seem to be wedged solid.  I had no problems with 34013 Okehampton last year.

Anyone else having problems?

EDIT: With further close inspection I can see the screw heads are turning.  But I can turn them ad infinitum in both directions.  This can only mean the screws have broken internally.  Looks like it's going back for a replacement.....

Edited by RFS

Got mine today from Hatton's. However, try as I might I cannot get the tender body off to fit a decoder. There are two small screws at the back by the buffer beam but they seem to be wedged solid. I had no problems with 34013 Okehampton last year.

Anyone else having problems?

EDIT: With further close inspection I can see the screw heads are turning. But I can turn them ad infinitum in both directions. This can only mean the screws have broken internally. Looks like it's going back for a replacement.....

Yes - I spent a fair bit of yesterday wrestling with it. One of the screws came easily but the other, once I got it out was covered in glue... getting the top off was hard as it was stuck at the rear on the lugs. I inserted a thin screwdriver along the seam between the top and the chassis and used it as a lever to break the glue...

David

• RMweb Gold

Our stock arrived on Friday. It's a beautiful looking model.

We have done a short video / review which can be seen here:

https://youtu.be/7d0RnMVxMlA

Please don't be too critical as it's our first attempt at these reviews.

Well this is a surprise.Welcome to the forum Oliver.A long overdue presence for Rails.Like your enthusiasm and love the model.I believe I am correct in posting that this is Hornby's first rebuilt B o B with squadron crest ( as distinct from WC ...Okehampton being the last ) that they have released for quite a long time .

Look forward to more reviews.

• RMweb Gold

Well this is a surprise.Welcome to the forum Oliver.A long overdue presence for Rails.Like your enthusiasm and love the model.I believe I am correct in posting that this is Hornby's first rebuilt B o B with squadron crest ( as distinct from WC ...Okehampton being the last ) that they have released for quite a long time .

Of the 24 Battle of Britains to carry Squadron names, only nine were rebuilt. This one will be Hornby's third by my reckoning - quite a good representation.  

To save anybody looking it up, the previous ones were R2587 (34062 17 Squadron) and R2607 (34088 213 Squadron), so, yes, it has been a while.

John

Have 10 of these beauties and would like this one - but - eyesight has deteriorated to such an extent that I have real problems fitting the brake linkage. Never used to - just age I suppose. Pity they are not pre-fitted as the loco does not look right with them left off - that is if I can see it!

Very nice Oliver. I look forward to future reviews

Hi, Many thanks for your comments. Yes I am pleased to have joined and hopefully I can get involved and share some inside information on various topics lol.

As for the videos hopefully as we go forward with future videos we can get into more detail and actually show the locos running around on a layout (we are working on a video worthy layout at the moment) as currently I only have a short up and down test track.

• Like 3

Guest Midland Mole

We got our stock in today. One the best parts of my job is getting to put these beauties in the display cabinet. :)

Hornby really know how to make a truly impressive model, and I think the BoBs/WCs are some of their finest work.

Alex

• Like 1

We got our stock in today. One the best parts of my job is getting to put these beauties in the display cabinet. :)

Hornby really know how to make a truly impressive model, and I think the BoBs/WCs are some of their finest work.

Alex

Agree. I've been very indulgent to myself, as having picked up my pre ordered 603 squadron, I found that Rails were selling unrebuilt BoB Winston Churchill, split from the funeral set. So will now have 2 BoBs joining my Bullied fleet. Good job it's my payday next week, as I've just had notification of a Hattons 14xx about to wing my way.

• RMweb Gold

Indeed it puzzles me they get this right on the Bulleid & the Britannia, but not on GW locos ?

And indeed the green IS a distinct improvenent much to my surprise and delight.It has more depth,life and richness than the Okehampton release of late 2015.Well done,Hornby.This is really top notch.

My long suffering partner allowed me to take the money out of our savings to pay for her on the promise I pay it back when I get paid. She does look magnificent and I can't wait to run her tonight. Now to start saving for 34096 trevone at the end of the year.

Big james

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

My long suffering partner allowed me to take the money out of our savings to pay for her on the promise I pay it back when I get paid. She does look magnificent and I can't wait to run her tonight. Now to start saving for 34096 trevone at the end of the year.

Big james

It seems there aren't many of these in circulation so you've made a wise move before they sell out.Enjoy.

Big james

I appreciate your long suffering partner looks magnificent, but what about '603 Squadron'?  :mosking: