Dapol's new Class 68 locomotives

Nobby (John)

One of the latest releases, 68008, is what Dapol are calling "DRS Late" with new handrails and horn grilles. Was any of the initial batch of releases of 68001, 68002 or 68005 also in this configuration or in the initial as delivered configuration? When were these modifications carried out?

I was put off the original batch because of the livery issue, the crooked nameplates and the packaging rubbing the paint from the front cabs. Are these issues now all resolved? I believe the etched nameplates now come as a separate part to be fitted over a printed nameplate if desired, but what of the other issues.

Edited by InchicoreWorks

• RMweb Premium

Picked up replacement bodies over the weekend at Warley.

They have printed plates and separate etched nameplates to be fitted by the user. AT first glance the plates appear to be slanted, but this is purely an optical illisuion as they are on a curved/sloped section of the turquoise banding.

The livery looks to be correctly applied on both sides.

Credit to Dapol for exchanging the bodies.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

So how do those who have ordered the body online get them? I haven't had any communication other than asking Dapol who said it would be sorted?

I've been to my online account within DCC Supplies and just states 'Out of Stock' for the 3 body shell replacements I've ordered, haven't had any email notifications in regards to this thus just patiently waiting and I'm sure they're getting their ducks in order for the online orders post Warley.

Edited by classy52

• RMweb Premium

I've been to my online account within DCC Supplies and just states 'Out of Stock' for the 3 body shell replacements I've ordered, haven't had any email notifications in regards to this thus just waiting.

Give them chance. DCC Supplies received them on Friday whilst at the NEC Warley. They probably haven't had chance to put them into stock yet.

Cheers,

Mick

Give them chance. DCC Supplies received them on Friday whilst at the NEC Warley. They probably haven't had chance to put them into stock yet.

Cheers,

Mick

I am, apologies just edited my post whilst working to reflect my patience thus not worried about the timeline and agree they need to get over Warley first and move onto the online stuff.

The DCC Supplies shop was preparing to attend the show on Friday so fair play if they got the bodies to Warley for replacement.

I'm sure we will all have an email in a day or two.

I'm hoping to pop over to the shop in the next day or so to pick mine up and will advise with an update.

The DCC Supplies shop was preparing to attend the show on Friday so fair play if they got the bodies to Warley for replacement.

I'm sure we will all have an email in a day or two.

I'm hoping to pop over to the shop in the next day or so to pick mine up and will advise with an update.

Checked my account and is in 'Picking' status thus they're on the ball.

• RMweb Premium

Just had a long and rather confusing email about sending my 68 bodyshell back to receive my replacement. Only says that the replacements are expected soon but no real details about where or when to send the original body. Maybe there will be more emails...

Cheers

Dave

Just had a long and rather confusing email about sending my 68 bodyshell back to receive my replacement. Only says that the replacements are expected soon but no real details about where or when to send the original body. Maybe there will be more emails...

Cheers

Dave

Yes got that email as well, no details about who to send it to or how to label the package thus will wait until further comms are sent.

One of the latest releases, 68008, is what Dapol are calling "DRS Late" with new handrails and horn grilles. Was any of the initial batch of releases of 68001, 68002 or 68005 also in this configuration or in the initial as delivered configuration? When were these modifications carried out?

I was put off the original batch because of the livery issue, the crooked nameplates and the packaging rubbing the paint from the front cabs. Are these issues now all resolved? I believe the etched nameplates now come as a separate part to be fitted over a printed nameplate if desired, but what of the other issues.

Good question about the difference in the later class 68’s .

I think they have bigger fuel tanks too don’t know any more than that

I have 68008 coming I want to get it renumbered to 68025 hopefully it will be the same with the changes to the locomotives.

From what I’ve seen on photos of the new batch they look great can’t see any paint problems with them

Guest Digital

A quick question for those that have purchased one of the new batch.

Does it still have the enameled wire links on the circuit board - as shown in the top photo in post #1661?

Cheers,

Mick

Hi Mick,

Photo of Class 68008 circuit board. Enamelled wires have gone.

Regards

John

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Got a phone call from Dapol this afternoon advising that the replacement bodies were in stock. An hour later I'm at the factory at Chirk and duly exchanged 68 001 Evolution.

I then may have spent an obscene amount in the factory shop...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mick,

Photo of Class 68008 circuit board. Enamelled wires have gone.

Regards

John

attachicon.gifClass-68-Circuit-board-Batch-2.jpg

Thanks for that John, Definitely different - I'll have to closely compare it with the old board when I get my hands on one.

I'll have to investigate if it needs a decoder fitted with two logic level outputs or a full capability six function decoder to operate the halo lights

Do the instructions say which decoders are suitable for 6 function working? Are they different to the first batch instructions?

A quick look shows  T1 and T2 in place of D4 and D8 on the original board.  (Transistors were added along with the enamelled wire in place of two diodes on the original batch).

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

Got a phone call from Dapol this afternoon advising that the replacement bodies were in stock. An hour later I'm at the factory at Chirk and duly exchanged 68 001 Evolution.

I then may have spent an obscene amount in the factory shop...

Wish I’d known, you could have collected mine for me! I may pop over on Thursday to get mine

Guest Digital

Thanks for that John, Definitely different - I'll have to closely compare it with the old board when I get my hands on one.

I'll have to investigate if it needs a decoder fitted with two logic level outputs or a full capability six function decoder to operate the halo lights

Do the instructions say which decoders are suitable for 6 function working? Are they different to the first batch instructions?

A quick look shows T1 and T2 in place of D4 and D8 on the original board. (Transistors were added along with the enamelled wire in place of two diodes on the original batch).

Cheers,

Mick

Hi Mick,

Instructions the same as first batch. “Class 68 OO DCC Guide Sheet V 1.0 17-12-2015”

Regards

John

Edited by Digital