Dapol's new Class 68 locomotives

Nobby (John)

Does anyone know where you can purchase the Shawplan EEDP68-01 etched Class 68 brake disc inserts?

Rainbow Railways online store don't have them advertised anymore and a Google search on the product code brings up nothing apart from Shawplan's website catalogue entry, also there is nothing on eBay which is a bit weird.

Anyway any info on where to purchase these would be greatly appreciated, I will continue my search in the meantime.

Cheers

Steve

Edited by classy52

• RMweb Premium

Does anyone know where you can purchase the Shawplan EEDP68-01 etched Class 68 brake disc inserts?

Rainbow Railways online store don't have them advertised anymore and a Google search on the product code brings up nothing apart from Shawplan's website catalogue entry, also there is nothing on eBay which is a bit weird.

Anyway any info on where to purchase these would be greatly appreciated, I will continue my search in the meantime.

Cheers

Steve

Shawplan is a good place to start.....

You could try emailing them.

I know they've been very busy of late and have been difficult to get hold of, but they were at BRM Doncaster last weekend. They are listed as being at Nottingham in 4 weeks time.

Cheers,

Mick

Shawplan is a good place to start.....

You could try emailing them.

I know they've been very busy of late and have been difficult to get hold of, but they were at BRM Doncaster last weekend. They are listed as being at Nottingham in 4 weeks time.

Cheers,

Mick

Yes that is going to be my next step as I've only been looking in the last couple of hours, hopefully he's able to sell via email and living in South London an online sale is the only route for me unless he goes to Ally Pally in March which I will be attending.

Edited by classy52

You can now buy the correct wheel sets from Dapol via DCC Supplies as well. £10 per pair

Yes thanks for that, had a look but it seems a bit of overkill and expensive way to do it as each loco would cost £40 to convert and the inserts are stated as being printed and not etched, I think the Shawplan etched disc inserts are about £8 for a complete set.

• RMweb Premium

Yes that is going to be my next step as I've only been looking in the last couple of hours, hopefully he's able to sell via email and living in South London an online sale is the only route for me unless he goes to Ally Pally in March which I will be attending.

https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk/shows/show/the-london-festival-of-railway-modelling/exhibitors

Classy 52..... ah well there’s the thing.....I ordered a set for a complete loco, told what I needed was £40 , when it arrived there was 8 wheel sets in the package.....weird! By my calculations what you need is 2 pairs, which should be £20, unless I’m missing something. So I now have a full spare set. They are very good to be fair, match the other 3 68s I have, and are fitted in 10 mins. 20 quid is ok I suppose.

Classy 52..... ah well there’s the thing.....I ordered a set for a complete loco, told what I needed was £40 , when it arrived there was 8 wheel sets in the package.....weird! By my calculations what you need is 2 pairs, which should be £20, unless I’m missing something. So I now have a full spare set. They are very good to be fair, match the other 3 68s I have, and are fitted in 10 mins. 20 quid is ok I suppose.

Sounds like someone at DCC Supplies messed up and you ended up getting freebies...result.

Had another look at their item and it states 'A set consists of 2x wheels, 1x axle, gears and bearings' which says to me you will need to purchase 4 of these to complete a loco costing £40.

Edited by classy52
  • Like 1

Cheers

Steve

If you're not too fussed about the "etch" part of it, I recall someone selling deals that simply fit onto the wheels and make it look like an disc. I really don't know who did that but try the usual suppliers like Railtec, Precision, Rainbow Railways.

If you're not too fussed about the "etch" part of it, I recall someone selling deals that simply fit onto the wheels and make it look like an disc. I really don't know who did that but try the usual suppliers like Railtec, Precision, Rainbow Railways.

Here you go from Railtec. As you would expect, the "insides" of the discs are hollow meaning that you just place the transfer in situ and remove the backing paper. A bit like the table cloth routine but without Debbie McGee. Results in the second photo.

http://www.railtec-models.com/showitem.php?id=2672

2029-2.jpg

2029-1.jpg

• Like 5

Here you go from Railtec. As you would expect, the "insides" of the discs are hollow meaning that you just place the transfer in situ and remove the backing paper. A bit like the table cloth routine but without Debbie McGee. Results in the second photo.

2029-2.jpg

2029-1.jpg

A vote in favour of using Railtec transfers (no connection etc...). Dead easy and a bit cheaper than the etched versions - see my post earlier up this thread here which included a brief "how to".

• Like 3

Obviously popular as they’ve sold out....

They'll be back imminently. Just click on the "Notify me" link, pop in your email address and you get an email the second they're back in stock with a link to the page. Simples!

Works out at £2.90 for a loco (incl 2 spares too), with std 1st class P&P being £1.19.

Edited by railtec-models

They'll be back imminently. Just click on the "Notify me" link, pop in your email address and you get an email the second they're back in stock with a link to the page. Simples!

Works out at £2.90 for a loco (incl 2 spares too), with std 1st class P&P being £1.19.

Thanks, yes I did when I noticed they were sold out.

2029-2.jpg

2029-1.jpg

Do you recommend sealing these with a varnish?

Do you recommend sealing these with a varnish?

Railtec say to use matt  clear spray varnish  to fasten  down the etching  on tthe wheel and not the ""brush type varnish, presume brush would possibly move the Railtec transfers, to use the transfers leave them in cold tap water, place on the wheel, I damped the transfer with a paper tissue waited and then as above just gently edged the white backing off.

I also have the 68008 with the wheels factory "etched" not much difference in appearance to me.

Railtec say to use matt  clear spray varnish  to fasten  down the etching  on tthe wheel and not the ""brush type varnish, presume brush would possibly move the Railtec transfers, to use the transfers leave them in cold tap water, place on the wheel, I damped the transfer with a paper tissue waited and then as above just gently edged the white backing off.

I also have the 68008 with the wheels factory "etched" not much difference in appearance to me.

Thanks for the info.

Any pictures to show the differences please ?

• RMweb Premium

Apologies if this is a silly question but what is the difference between Dapol’s “early” and “late” versions?

I’m looking to buy 68001, according to the description it’s had the livery issues corrected.

Apologies if this is a silly question but what is the difference between Dapol’s “early” and “late” versions?

I’m looking to buy 68001, according to the description it’s had the livery issues corrected.

I too wondered this, but after Kaput's answer, I went to Rails' website and looked up two of the models, opening their pages in new tabs, then flicking back and forth between them. The two models I chose were DRS 68 003 (early) and 68 008 (later), and the difference in the fuel tanks was then obvious. However, I couldn't see any difference in the handrails between these two. There were extra markings at the nose ends on the newer one.

Have I missed an email, still showing out of stock ?

This was posted last year by 159220 and explains the differences.

To understand the differences between Dapol's first and second batch, one has to look at the prototypes and how they evolved. 

(001)002-005 were constructed before DRS increased the fuel tank specification. 001 is the exception, originally fitted with the smaller tank, seen in its white Vossloh livery, but the increased tank was fitted before delivery to the UK, via Innotrans. The extended tank has now been retrofitted to most, I have only recently noted 003 without the larger tank. 

001-015 were delivered in two livery variants. Originally the driver door handle bars and the multiple working step handle bars had one bolt. (More subtlety they also were smooth in finish without grip striations).

Subsequently, 008-015 have been fitted with AAR multiple working for the Chiltern Railways contract. The customer (Arriva) requested the handle bars to be removed due to safely concerns over no grip and the single bolt was demonstrated to be susceptible to failure. Until new bars and bolts could be manufactured, 010-015 had then removed. DRS did not alter this, and changed the bars once delivered. There is more detail here I just wont go into. But, fascinating to myself alone.

Later batch deliveries 016-025 and 026-034 have had different paint (same colour, different product) and wheel sets alterations, along with internal changes which do not affect the model. 026 upwards, now have black cab air-conditioning units. 

Another really minor difference, is some locos had additional warning flashes by the nose steps, these only appear on 008, 012, 016, 017 & 018.

It should be noted, further modifications to 026 up revolve around the sale of Vossloh to Stadler (removal of Vossloh logo, Stadler works plates and bogie plates). 

Thus the models, represent this evolution. To most it shall not matter, but if you are like me, you really appreciate the detail Dapol have paid to this evolution. 

Batch 1

DRS 001 - original single bolt and large tanks

DRS 002 - original single bolt and smaller tanks

DRS 005 - original single bolt and smaller tanks

SR 006 - original single bolt and large tanks

SR 007 - original single bolt and large tanks

DRS/CR 010 - no aar socket, original single bolt and large tanks - ie before Chiltern service

DRS/CR 014 - no aar socket, original single bolt and large tanks - ie before Chiltern service

Batch 2

DRS 003 - original single bolt and smaller tanks

DRS/CR 008 - aar socket, new three bolt and large tanks

SR 006 - new three bolt and large tanks

CR 010 - aar socket, new three bolt and large tanks - ie current Chiltern service

CR 015 - aar socket, no bolt and large tanks -- ie initial Chiltern service

Model in terms of prototype modification timeline 

DRS 002/003/005 (1st and 2nd batch) - 003 is an interesting one, as still with small tank, but now with three bolts. Thus, is this a current representation to model, or as introduced? Depends how much the 3 bolts bother you....

DRS 001 (1st Batch)

CR 010/014 (1st Batch) 

CR 015 (2nd Batch) 

SR 006/007 (1st Batch) 

DRS 008 (2nd  Batch) - current 

SR 006 (2nd Batch) - current 

CR 010 (2nd Batch) - current