Can you remove the wheels from a completed brass wagon ?

When I build a plastic wagon kit I trap the wheels between the solebars then allow the glue to dry for 24 hours. I can then gently pop the wheels out by spreading the axle boxes when it is time to paint the completed kit.

Can you do the same thing with a brass wagon ? I would not think you would be able to spread the axle boxes at all.

• RMweb Premium

When I build a plastic wagon kit I trap the wheels between the solebars then allow the glue to dry for 24 hours. I can then gently pop the wheels out by spreading the axle boxes when it is time to paint the completed kit.

Can you do the same thing with a brass wagon ? I would not think you would be able to spread the axle boxes at all.

Hi

I can only comment on the 2mm kits I have built but yes I can get the wheels in and out once its built.

Cheers

Paul

• RMweb Premium

I always remove wheels wherever possible and paint them separately if necessary.

Agreed. A good tip from Jim Watt of the 2mm Association is, if spray painting, to place small blobs of vaseline in the top-hat bearing recesses before firing up the airbrush. Remove the excess afterwards and any remainder makes an acceptable lubricant.

• RMweb Gold

A lot depends on the design of the kit. Something with the Bill Bedford style of W iron (and no break bits in the way) is quite easy to pull apart the wirons so that you can pop out the wheels for painting. Wagons with said break bits, or bogie stock its common that you cant get them out.

When painting stuff I've built, I try to remove the wheels if possible (masking the insides of the Wiron to stop paint build up over springs and bearings) or if its not possible I mask the wheels prior to painting.

What about O gauge ? Can you pop the wheels out on the larger scales ? I have built plastic O gauge wagons in the past but I always painted the wheels in situ. If I go back to O gauge I would like to remove the wheels for painting but I am not sure if there would be enough movement in the W irons to get the wheels out (plastic or brass).

What about O gauge ? Can you pop the wheels out on the larger scales ? I have built plastic O gauge wagons in the past but I always painted the wheels in situ. If I go back to O gauge I would like to remove the wheels for painting but I am not sure if there would be enough movement in the W irons to get the wheels out (plastic or brass).

I have never had a problem removing the wheels when its 7mm as long as the push rods/ clasps/ etc are not in the way. Although I would say in colder weather it might pay to just heat up the W irons if they are plastic as they could be a bit more brittle due to the cold.

Martyn.

Archived