Little Muddle

KNP

2 hours ago, Ray H said:

I dare say that there were still milk & post deliveries even on Christmas Day back when time stood still in Little Muddle.

We lived in a village in north Lincolnshire in the early sixties. The post lady delivered on Christmas morning but the problem was that by the time she got half way round she had had so many sherries she was not sure where she was going! Those were the days :D

• Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 5

2 hours ago, Ray H said:

I seem to recall the New Year's Day holiday was a relatively recent thing

1st January 1974.  I think it was chosen by Ted Heath as a reward to the electorate for choosing to enter the Common Market (now the EU).

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

I helped our milkman back in the day and vividly remember boxing day 1962 - the start of the big freeze that lasted around 3 months on the canals at least.

We were out in the snow on Boxing Day morning. We'd started earlier than usual (as was our custom on bank holidays) and expected to finish the round not long after 9.30 (a.m.). No such luck, we were soon having to leave the milk float on the main road, put twine on some crates so we could then use the twine to pull said crates up the side roads as there was no way that the float would have got there or back (and as an electric float on a round several miles from the depot, the milkman had to be mindful of getting the float back to its depot before the battery ran down). Even the main roads were a struggle.

Boy, was I glad to get back home around 2.30 (p.m.)? I'd never been so cold before or since and I'm convinced that spending so much time that winter out in the snow affected my sight - snow blindness? - which is why I hate bright lights nowadays).

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Podhunter said:

1st January 1974.  I think it was chosen by Ted Heath as a reward to the electorate for choosing to enter the Common Market (now the EU).

It (and the 2nd too) was a holiday in Scotland for many a year before it became so in England.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, KNP said:

Right chaps, Christmas over, so better get on with this door.....!

What you mean.....not yet!

What....another holiday approaching.....

All right then, leave it for now....?

New Year it is then, if of course that is fine with you lot?

3927.jpg.3147c7215795703c1719b0ea27ee085f.jpg

I have often wondered why this lot cannot fix a door.  But when you realise one of the workers shows up with a shovel to fix a door, you begin to get a sense of the limitations of this particular work crew.

The chap with the shovel may be more use at the crate unloading - but perhaps that is where he has come from after being asked to leave!

Having said this I used to organise working bees at my kids' preschool and I was tasked with sending around to the other dads a list of the jobs we had been asked to do with suggested tools to bring.  This one particular dad always showed up armed only with a trenching shovel.  We never worked out if it was joke or he really only had one tool.

• Like 4
  • Funny 5

7 minutes ago, Bogie said:

I have often wondered why this lot cannot fix a door.  But when you realise one of the workers shows up with a shovel to fix a door, you begin to get a sense of the limitations of this particular work crew.

The chap with the shovel may be more use at the crate unloading - but perhaps that is where he has come from after being asked to leave!

Having said this I used to organise working bees at my kids' preschool and I was tasked with sending around to the other dads a list of the jobs we had been asked to do with suggested tools to bring.  This one particular dad always showed up armed only with a trenching shovel.  We never worked out if it was joke or he really only had one tool.

I think it was his way of saying 'I'm here for one job only, dig holes and if you don't want any holes digging then ask someone else'

A psychologist would probably tell you the reason why but then again i think we have all dealt with someone similar to be honest so while waste time on ten dollar words.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, KNP said:

Happy New Year to everyone.

3962.jpg.204989d627751a9f9c140443571405b8.jpg

Fingers crossed that 2022 starts returning to something that looks and feels like normality.....

Happy New Year Kevin.

Indeed, let’s hope that 2022 sees the pandemic over, or at least manageable. 

Thank you for the inspiration that you give us all… 

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Ponthir28 said:

And I thought little Muddle was just a quiet sleepy backwater? Can’t be with all that work. 

And still got the door to fix and the crate to unload.....!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
On 30/12/2021 at 23:56, Bogie said:

he really only had one tool.

Errrr...

ISTR that there were a couple of S&T techs working in the NW London area who, in this century, were known as "hammer and spanner', while much of the kit they were required to service was electronic in nature...

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Errrr...

ISTR that there were a couple of S&T techs working in the NW London area who, in this century, were known as "hammer and spanner', while much of the kit they were required to service was electronic in nature...

In many places, Carriage & Wagon Examiners (later Rolling Stock Technicians) were known as Lamp and Hammer men (and yes, they were all men in those days) - a legacy of the ancient position of wheeltapper.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

Great up date and forward planning Kevin, Happy New Year to you and your followers. 

See, My wayward Mouse, (whom I must find a name for) did manage to kill off a couple of Adds this morning so that I could do a Post on here.

I did try to do one on Bute Road yesterday, but couldn't get past the adds, so gave up and went to Western Thunder for some inspiration instead.

I do enjoy your morning updates when I can get in. its whole different world in LM to the one we live in, just wonderful, thanks.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

16 minutes ago, steve45 said:

Lets hope that gate gets hung a lot quicker than the door on the engine shed:jester:

It will do once I build it……

Just a pile of rods at the moment!!!!!!

• Friendly/supportive 1