Car trains - potential for achieving greater realism

'CHARD

Well I needed a break from colouring-in tyres with a black CD sharpie marker, and with a few donor vehicles suited to becoming test-pieces, today I've rattled a can or three at a pair of ADO16 bodyshells.  

Halfords Red Primer seems to be fairly benign on bodies and bases, and Satin Black covers the silver bases nicely without bubbling or crazing.  When I get cracking in earnest, I'll need to mask the brightwork off to preserve bumpers, but that's a trifling matter.

A trial with Rover Damask Red over red primer appears relatively successful thus far, which is just as well given the quantity of paint I have to hand  :angel:

Next, it's a quick trial spraying of the inside of a few pale shells - probably the lime, lemon and white ones, to give the mouldings a bit of heft and obscure the interiors.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Right, we've come quite a long way since the New Year.

Gone are the Cartic-2s laden with self-coloured cars, in are the Carflats being used to store the W-I-P.

Grouped together for the most part, 1100s, A60s, Anglias, Corsairs and a few Vauxhalls.  The portent of Imps is not shown, nor the vehicles of any type that are still entire.

White primer for future beige, pale grey, off white and pastel vehicles.  Grey for solid colours in general, and oxide for dark reds.

View west:

post-7083-0-78158400-1515768410.jpg

...and looking east:

post-7083-0-44284300-1515768418.jpg

There are still roughly 100 vehicles that either don't want to be taken to pieces, or won't give up their glazing.  So they're sidelined off-scene for later attention.

• Like 12

Further to my earlier update, there are huge differences in the propensity of the vehicles to come apart. 

There are only 2 Austin 1800 Landcrabs visible, fairly near the front centre of the lower of the two pictures.  This isn't because the model is especially rare - I have about a dozen mushy-pea coloured examples and maybe ten dark greenies, not that I would necessarily use them all.

No, they simply refuse to be dismantled.  A60s were strongly glued along the nearside join.  Hillman Imps could be broken into easily once you knew how, probably like the real thing!  Vivas wont give up their glazing.

1100s can crack through the boot, Anglias' sills break off easily.

Edited by 'CHARD

Yes, the amount of (I assume liquid solvent) 'glue' they used does vary. Some are a right ######, others easy. A thin, sharp blade rocked down into the join sometimes does the trick, but you might have the occasional gashed finger or broken side.

Edited by BernardTPM

Hi 'CHARD,

I've only just found this thread, very useful. My main interest is the Imp traffic between Linwood and Coventry - I used to live by the line in Bedworth and these trains would trundle by hauled by pairs of Polmadie class 20's. The carflats were based on ex-Gresley 61ft underframes and could hold 5 Imps each. When Oxford announced ex-LMS 60ft carflats I decided that they would suffice for my models of these trains - like you I didn't fancy trying to build my own. When I bought the Oxford models though, they turned out to be 57ft versions, even though the running number was for a 60ft example. As such, each carflat will only hold 4 Imps.

On the subject of empty trains, I don't recall seeing a completely empty train but I certainly remember partially empty trains with some carflats having no cars or fewer than five cars on them.

Also, other car models could appear on the trains - I can remember the Hillman Minx, for example.

Regarding Ford Anglia colours, my Dad had a yellow one - I don't have a colour photo of it though I could probably dig out a b/w one. I remember two main things  - the reg was 7521UE and it had wheel wobble - a noted Anglia affliction. Oxford produced a model of a yellow Anglia a few years back - I made a point of buying one!

Regards

Graham 

• Like 1

There are only 2 Austin 1800 Landcrabs visible, fairly near the front centre of the lower of the two pictures.  This isn't because the model is especially rare - I have about a dozen mushy-pea coloured examples and maybe ten dark greenies, not that I would necessarily use them all.

I've had trouble with getting Landcrabs apart too. The black one in my thread had already been dismantled once so it was easy, but a pale yellow one bought as a donor for the Maxi project was stuck solidly and I broke the sill so I had to acquire another. I haven't tried taking that one apart yet so fingers crossed the body survives in one piece.

• RMweb Premium

I've had trouble with getting Landcrabs apart too. The black one in my thread had already been dismantled once so it was easy, but a pale yellow one bought as a donor for the Maxi project was stuck solidly and I broke the sill so I had to acquire another. I haven't tried taking that one apart yet so fingers crossed the body survives in one piece.

If you are going to reduce the width anyway wouldn't it not be easier to cut the floorpan just inside the body sides between the wheelarches?

That will probably help, but the glazing, floor and side are sometimes pretty much welded together one side. Rarely both sides so I wonder if it was the case of having a fresh brushful of solvent from the bottle in the factory. That problem aside, their plastic construction does make alterations (to estates, coupes, vans, later models, etc.) altogether easier than a diecast model.

Edited by BernardTPM

I've only just found this thread, very useful. My main interest is the Imp traffic between Linwood and Coventry - I used to live by the line in Bedworth and these trains would trundle by hauled by pairs of Polmadie class 20's. The carflats were based on ex-Gresley 61ft underframes and could hold 5 Imps each. When Oxford announced ex-LMS 60ft carflats I decided that they would suffice for my models of these trains - like you I didn't fancy trying to build my own. When I bought the Oxford models though, they turned out to be 57ft versions, even though the running number was for a 60ft example. As such, each carflat will only hold 4 Imps.

On the subject of empty trains, I don't recall seeing a completely empty train but I certainly remember partially empty trains with some carflats having no cars or fewer than five cars on them.

Also, other car models could appear on the trains - I can remember the Hillman Minx, for example.

The Carflat length issue was crucial to the creation of an Imp Express homage!  Basically, I had accumulated so many Imps that I thought it might be nice to recreate a sample, there's no way I'm going for the full 100 car shebang!  At least with only 4 Imps per wagon, they go further, despite not looking prototypical - it's a compromise I'll have to live with.  Also, the Minx info is useful, as I have retained four of those, so that's an extra carflat for the Rootes manoeuvre.

I wasn't aware that the running numbers are wrong - this supports my view that I will ultimately alter the TOPS ones I've acquired - along with the rest now.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The Carflat length issue was crucial to the creation of an Imp Express homage!  Basically, I had accumulated so many Imps that I thought it might be nice to recreate a sample, there's no way I'm going for the full 100 car shebang!  At least with only 4 Imps per wagon, they go further, despite not looking prototypical - it's a compromise I'll have to live with.  Also, the Minx info is useful, as I have retained four of those, so that's an extra carflat for the Rootes manoeuvre.

I wasn't aware that the running numbers are wrong - this supports my view that I will ultimately alter the TOPS ones I've acquired - along with the rest now.

I saw what you did there!

Mike.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

There's an update coming later on this - I spent several rattle-can sessions getting high another 76 vehicle bodies into primer over the weekend, so there are now 21 Carflats with (mainly) ten cars apiece  :angel:

I'll have some photos to share, before the collection starts its transition into the staid manufacturers' paint options typical of 1966-68!!!

• Like 2

We need an impressive button!

Mike.

We'll see how impressive this lot are once the next few stages are tackled - it hasn't felt especially easy getting them this far, but the interesting bit next is also going to be critical in terms of appearance and making a convincing job.

...and that's before I have arranged the loading and positioning on the Carflats, which themselves need a wee bit of pre-work - weathering, renumbering and the suchlike.

• RMweb Gold

We'll see how impressive this lot are once the next few stages are tackled - it hasn't felt especially easy getting them this far, but the interesting bit next is also going to be critical in terms of appearance and making a convincing job.

...and that's before I have arranged the loading and positioning on the Carflats, which themselves need a wee bit of pre-work - weathering, renumbering and the suchlike.

, and a lot of scotches!

Mike.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, despite a hectic schedule, all the available BLMC shells (82 in total) have now received their intended ex-factory paintwork.

Here they all are awaiting transport back home earlier:

post-7083-0-27305800-1519004534.jpg

Edited by 'CHARD
  • Like 9

Seriously impressive.

At least doing them ex factory saves having to do numberplates!

Mike.

That's certainly one less task for the detail pens!  Next job is to refit 80+ sets of glazing, whilst the next set of shells (Ellesmere Port's) are sent away for spraying.

So, here we are exactly 11 months since starting the topic.  

This morning I took advantage of the excellent natural light and took a permanent silver gel pen to the entire stock of painted Austin shells to create headlights.  It really transforms them, especially the 1800s with their semi elliptical surrounds.  The Old English White 1100 sextet also received red rear lights.

Over at rattlecan central, the entire stock of BLMC chassis undersides, along with a substantial quantity of Anglias, have been sprayed in grey primer, ready to receive satin black underseal!  

And, for the second Saturday running, I've been in Halfords paintstakingly (see what I accidentally did there!) selecting colours for the GMs.  There's a tale from this which I plan to regale you with later, dear reader, along with some update photos!!!!

• Like 4

Last Saturday I was on my knees in Halfords, rooting around in the Rover section of the rattle can rack - which as befits its alphabetic status, is near the floor - albeit not quite so much as Vauxhall!

A very helpful chap came round and asked if I needed assistance.  I mentioned that if I explained what I was looking for, he'd never believe it.  Naturally he asked - and in fairness feigned interest, even going on to say that he had once sorted out the closest match to LNER green for a customer.  A short while later I bundled my half dozen or so cans over the counter and went on my way.

Yesterday, as luck would have it, the same fella was on the counter - he laughed and asked how the project was progressing.  I showed him the photos below and he said - 'so what are these colours for today - Vauxhall or Ford?'

Heart warming little moments in retail.  Anyway, here go the pride of Longbridge...

post-7083-0-26081700-1519560239_thumb.jpg

post-7083-0-88861400-1519560254_thumb.jpg

post-7083-0-72311100-1519560277_thumb.jpg

post-7083-0-30128800-1519560299_thumb.jpg

• Like 8
  • Agree 1

Second coat for the GMs in a bit.  Can't recall exact numbers but all the Victors have been sprayed once, and about two thirds of the Vivas.

Some Anglias have also had a first coat, but space is at a premium with the quantity of various chassis in the process at the moment.

• Like 1