Charwelton - 'into the 80's'

43110andyb

If the London  Extn had remained open then given what happened elsewhere the platforms of closed stations would have been demolished and the track realigned. Bridges were generally arranged for a four track mainline than never materialised so it would have been possible to run both tracks to one side of the platform section of the bridge. Think you need either to model it still open or how alternatively about to be demolished / tracks realigned

The station will remain open but probably wouldn't be staffed! Local services only would stop and then again not all! Just wondering what would be the best corse of action for unmanned buildings on a station to avoid vandalism! Would they be bricked and boarded with a bus shelter further down the platform?

• RMweb Gold

The station will remain open but probably wouldn't be staffed! Local services only would stop and then again not all! Just wondering what would be the best corse of action for unmanned buildings on a station to avoid vandalism! Would they be bricked and boarded with a bus shelter further down the platform?

Save yourself all the trouble and come back in time the late 60's/early 70's, all could/would be open within our modelling world and all your problems solved!

Mike.

• Like 1

So with a bit more time to spare I've unpacked the station buildings as they will date the layout quite badly! Trouble is what to do with them! They are stunning!

Board them up and put a bus shelter as what probably would have happened? Replace timetables and lamps that's a given! Repaint guttering and downpipes? If so what colour? Roof and windows off the steps?

Please don't do anything to the buildings... they are works of art and set the layout on the GCR. Also if in the future you want to run late crest BR it would be suitable. It looks like the buildings on the GCR fell into disarray but as the line is kept open in this layout I think there's potential for DMU's to use the service.

Save yourself all the trouble and come back in time the late 60's/early 70's, all could/would be open within our modelling world and all your problems solved!

Mike.

Agreed :)

Semi fasts and filthy black fives, woodcutters and 9f's!

Mike.

Agreed :)

Semi fasts and filthy black fives, woodcutters and 9f's!

So with a bit more time to spare I've unpacked the station buildings as they will date the layout quite badly! Trouble is what to do with them! They are stunning!

Board them up and put a bus shelter as what probably would have happened? Replace timetables and lamps that's a given! Repaint guttering and downpipes? If so what colour? Roof and windows off the steps?

Sorry for more pics - but..............

Remaining wayside stations with original buildings would likely be rundown as per the pic of Wellingborough from 1982 below - glassless canopy, rotting fixtures and fittings etc

5560491593_b266b2e621_b.jpgMidland Mainline Before HSTs by Stephen Dance, on Flickr

As to paint colour - BR's favourite colour by the early 80s was grey. Photo below is Exeter St Davids, also 1982 (same weekend in fact) - peeling grey awnings (rotting and with bits missing), grey canopy columns, and the decorative frieze above the main platform buildings, boarded over and painted...............grey

5775950771_79d4792e91_b.jpgSpotters Day Out by Stephen Dance, on Flickr

Edited by D1059
  • Like 7

Please don't do anything to the buildings... they are works of art and set the layout on the GCR. Also if in the future you want to run late crest BR it would be suitable. It looks like the buildings on the GCR fell into disarray but as the line is kept open in this layout I think there's potential for DMU's to use the service.

The station buildings are probably the one thing that dates the layout the most! To leave them as they are isn't an option! Our chosen time period is 1983-86 bang on for BR Blue! We have now interest in late crest BR steam days! The decision to be made is what would have happened to the station buildings on a scarcely used in manned station in the mid 80's at best the buildings would have been boarded up with a bus shelter type structure provided for passengers! At worst their complete removal!

No decision has yet been made and we are sympathetic to the quality of the buildings but we need to make changes to this as we will to signalling, electrics and stock.

The station buildings are probably the one thing that dates the layout the most! To leave them as they are isn't an option! Our chosen time period is 1983-86 bang on for BR Blue! We have now interest in late crest BR steam days! The decision to be made is what would have happened to the station buildings on a scarcely used in manned station in the mid 80's at best the buildings would have been boarded up with a bus shelter type structure provided for passengers! At worst their complete removal!

No decision has yet been made and we are sympathetic to the quality of the buildings but we need to make changes to this as we will to signalling, electrics and stock.

As long as it's not a bus shelter on the platform and renamed Parkway :)

In all fairness it is your layout and chosen era so I'm sure it will be good :)

Edited by danstercivicman

• RMweb Gold

Looking at the population in the area the station would undoubtedly been closed. If it was kept open the windows would at least have been bricked up and a bus shelter installed. Would it probably be about this time that the platform buildings would be removed? I'm assuming they slot into the platform so new modules of tarmac base with the bus shelter could be slotted into the same footprint? I'm thinking though that this wouldn't be a great period for investment?

I completely agree Paul, maybe we could exhibit with different combinations as you rightly point out they are drip in and could have multiple fit pieces! Would be easier to just brick then damn things up! Are you think 2 up and 2 down trains a day stopping would service the population which in 2011 was only 220! Mmmm Setyle Carlisle it isn't and so yes it would be closed but for operating interest!!!

Looking at the population in the area the station would undoubtedly been closed. If it was kept open the windows would at least have been bricked up and a bus shelter installed. Would it probably be about this time that the platform buildings would be removed? I'm assuming they slot into the platform so new modules of tarmac base with the bus shelter could be slotted into the same footprint? I'm thinking though that this wouldn't be a great period for investment?

There's no way a station like Charwelton would have survived on a retained GC.  Rugby, Brackley and then Aylesbury would have been the stopping pattern of a semi-fast I reckon.  Woodford Halse would have gone too.

I hate to say it, but to capture the GC in straitened times, weathering the Serpell Report, would have to feature a station devoid of buildings, with the platform edges removed and rounded off, and the access from the road bridge bricked up.  Retaining the station in any 'open' capacity would not be at all convincing.

• RMweb Gold

There's no way a station like Charwelton would have survived on a retained GC.  Rugby, Brackley and then Aylesbury would have been the stopping pattern of a semi-fast I reckon.  Woodford Halse would have gone too.

I hate to say it, but to capture the GC in straitened times, weathering the Serpell Report, would have to feature a station devoid of buildings, with the platform edges removed and rounded off, and the access from the road bridge bricked up.  Retaining the station in any 'open' capacity would not be at all convincing.

Rule 1 applies though?

Mike.

• Like 1

That's probably correct and as the GC never survived into our 'what if' era we can never 100% say either way! There are locations out the that continued to be rail served with tiny populations; Horton in Ribblesdale population 428, Whatstandwell population 350 & Egton population 448.

There are probably others and who's to say that the building of houses wouldn't have boomed as the village became a dormitory village or small town.

It's all hyperthetical as the route is a cycle track and footpath for large parts!

As for the Serpell report this would probably have killed off the station but then again how much of it was actually implemented? We still have the trans pennine route and small towns are still rail served!

I am loving hearing people's offering ha though and we are listening with open minds!

• Like 1

A rebuild along the lines of the long gone Belgrave and birstall station may be more realistic for an updated GC , even with the addition of the inevitable industrial estate, but definitely won't be as attractive!! Some compromise will be needed..

So the next board, the third to be started and board 16 on the plan is home and has been loosely attached to 17, this means that we'll be able to blend in the scenic work prior to 17 being packed away for the mean time! I think we'll once again start with a hair cut!!

post-7056-0-96887300-1492723176.jpg

post-7056-0-80244200-1492723240_thumb.jpg

post-7056-0-26034200-1492723287_thumb.jpg

post-7056-0-77268000-1492723356_thumb.jpg

post-7056-0-41946600-1492723422_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Layout looks great :)

It could be that the miners strikes 3 day working week etc never happened and Charwelton became a new town requiring further investment in infrastructure and a regular service between the ahead of time channel tunnel... which led to the introduction of HST's onto the route :)

Hmm maybe BR 1980's run down is more realistic...

• Like 1

Hello

I shouldn't worry too much about playing the game of what if. I have done it twice using Northamptonshire locations. These were Brixworth Station  on the Northampton/Market Harborough branch, closed in 1980, brought back to life in the mid 1990s and Towcester on the Northampton/Banbury/Stratford line closed 1964 brought back to life in 1977. The GC is a fascinating choice and in that hackneyed old cliché so beloved on here I shall be watching with interest and a certain amount of envy.

Cheers

George

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi Guys

You have already messed up the time space continuum by having the line still open. Repaint the station into corporate image colours with the appropriate signage. If the line is still open , why not the station? Job done.

Omg I didn't realise we'd messed up the time space continuum!!! "Space-time is a mathematical model that joins space and time into a single idea called a continuum. This four-dimensional continuum is known as Minkowski space. Combining these two ideas helped cosmology to understand how the universe works on the big level (e.g. galaxies) and small level (e.g. atoms)."

Now Minkowski, that's a proper layout name! Ps anybody know anything about Russian signalling!?

Edited by DaveC46026
  • Like 1