Charwelton - 'into the 80's'

43110andyb

I am totally enjoying this topic - the idea of taking an existing layout and updating by 20 years is something I would love to do .

Here are my own thoughts on the, that you are free to adopt or ignore as you wish, especially as not familiar with the layout.

1. Passenger services would have ended as a result of Dr Beeching - but line kept open for freight.

2. By the 1980s some track rationalisation would have taken place -  the station  goods loops and some sidings would have gone. In some cases on the prototype, the track remained in situ, but the points were replaced by sections of plain track. After 20 years these would be suitably overgrown.  

3. From other posts, I gather there is a branch line. Keep it open for stone/ waste as mentioned. Assume any level crossings on the branch are trainman worked so need a brake van on any freight.

4. By the 1980's stations and some lines were being reopened to passengers again. For example Oxford-Bicester Town and Kettering-Corby re-opened in 1987. So DMU local service - minimum work done on station for re-opening - new signs, lights and waiting shelter and restore platform edge for 2-3 coaches. The rest of the platform is fenced off and overgrown.

5. The mid 1980's was a period of Section 8 grants for freight facilities so could be excuse for wagonload trip working to the station - perhaps a modern shed to contrast with original goods shed.

So lots of modelling opportunities here without stretching rule 1 too far -  have fun!

Nick

• Like 1

I am totally enjoying this topic - the idea of taking an existing layout and updating by 20 years is something I would love to do .

Here are my own thoughts on the, that you are free to adopt or ignore as you wish, especially as not familiar with the layout.

1. Passenger services would have ended as a result of Dr Beeching - but line kept open for freight.

2. By the 1980s some track rationalisation would have taken place - the station goods loops and some sidings would have gone. In some cases on the prototype, the track remained in situ, but the points were replaced by sections of plain track. After 20 years these would be suitably overgrown.

3. From other posts, I gather there is a branch line. Keep it open for stone/ waste as mentioned. Assume any level crossings on the branch are trainman worked so need a brake van on any freight.

4. By the 1980's stations and some lines were being reopened to passengers again. For example Oxford-Bicester Town and Kettering-Corby re-opened in 1987. So DMU local service - minimum work done on station for re-opening - new signs, lights and waiting shelter and restore platform edge for 2-3 coaches. The rest of the platform is fenced off and overgrown.

5. The mid 1980's was a period of Section 8 grants for freight facilities so could be excuse for wagonload trip working to the station - perhaps a modern shed to contrast with original goods shed.

So lots of modelling opportunities here without stretching rule 1 too far - have fun!

Nick

Hi Nick

Updating an existing layout had long been on my radar too so when the opportunity came along with this then we had to do it! Although being 35 1/2 foot long it's no small undertaking particularly as we are converting to DCC for our already extensive collection of sound chipped locos!

Just a few thoughts on your valid points!

1) passenger services may well has ceased on the line but had the line remained open the I'm sure plenty of Summer Saturday passengers would have traversed the line! What's not to love about a rake of MK1 or Mk2 with a pair of 31's, a boilered peak or a Tinsley 37 at the head!

2) track rationalisation may have taken place however strategic locations would have kept loops for laybyes or pathing problems- in thinking of the loops at Broadholme north of Belper.

3) The Branch if it had remained open doesn't actually cross any roads and was a short spur to a quarry! The quarry would have closed but we are assuming it was a dump fir spent ballast! This would also see several of the sidings remaining open! Had it gone over crossings brake vans front and rear possibly! I remember the MGR's on the Debby branch with crews front one tear for the multitude of crossings!

4) completely agree no argument and already in hand!

5) Charwelton is a small village and short of the odd punnet of strawberries I don't imagine much being transported in or out by rail!

It's really good fun creating a forward history for a real place that had its rail services cut 20 years or so before our chosen period. Everything is therefore hyprrthetical but we want to create a realistic model that's sympathetic to the original and we appreciate everybody's thoughts!

Regards

Dave

• Like 1

I am currently in Charwelton, the removal of the station is so complete you don't even notice where the bridge was over the line.

If you are modelling 80s then think Network Southeast and also that Northampton was becoming a commuter town for London.

With that in mind, why couldn't Charwelton find a new lease of life as a park and ride to Marylebone

I am currently in Charwelton, the removal of the station is so complete you don't even notice where the bridge was over the line.

If you are modelling 80s then think Network Southeast and also that Northampton was becoming a commuter town for London.

With that in mind, why couldn't Charwelton find a new lease of life as a park and ride to Marylebone

Daventry has grown substantially from the 1960's onwards, so you could  justify a train service for Daventry residents commuting to London and elsewhere.

Graham

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So as it's been a wee while since a post I thought I'd post a few words as to the current state of play.

So scenically (as far as the vegetation goes anyway!) the first two boards are done and before we assemble the whole layout for the first time on June 4th we're starting to look at trackside furniture and fittings. The outer points at least will be fitted with point machines. Inner points nah remain Mechanical as will the signals. This means cable troughing, signal wire runs and point machines. Currently we have Peco point machines but these may be replaced by the finer and smaller Colin Craig casts. Also in the to do list are drainage covers in the cutting along with redundant bullhead rail lengths, sleeps and chairs.

Catch you all soon

post-7056-0-03538700-1494706154_thumb.jpg

post-7056-0-34302400-1494706418_thumb.jpg

post-7056-0-45117900-1494706441_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Although I never saw this layout in the flesh, I think it's still worth a refresh.

I suggest the (model) 1980s alterations - at least for the station buildings - be reversible if anyone wants to run it pre-1966.

Looking at the images it appears the bridge and staircase are built as one unit. If you decide the station has closed, the entrance can be bricked up and a fence added at platform level to block access to the stairs.

If you decide Charwelton stayed open, then corporate image BR signs can be added.

In all cases, the bases for the waiting room and lavatories on the platform would then be covered up with inserts modelled with the impression of freshly-laid tarmac, looking as if they were demolished.

If Charwelton stayed open, these special inserts can have fencing attached to mark off the publicly accessible platform area. A contemporary waiting shelter, lamps and station notices can be planted on these special inserts.

• 3 weeks later...

Well only two days to go until we attempt to erect the whole layout for the first time over the weekend! It will be a measure of where we are and what we need to do before its first outing. Hopefully lots of updates and photos to come from this weekend so watch this space.

• Like 2

We will post the 2019 shows when we have confirmation of invites as we don't want to post any duff gen. Seems a long while off yet but I'm sure when we get a plan of works sorted over the weekend we might be glad we have a bit of time to play with!

Good luck with this fascinating project.

It occurs to me that if the line had remained open, a key traffic would have been the MGR coal trains from the East Midlands to Didcot Power station, using the link from the GC to Banbury (which would also serve for passenger trains to the South Coast, of course).

• Like 1

Good luck with this fascinating project.

It occurs to me that if the line had remained open, a key traffic would have been the MGR coal trains from the East Midlands to Didcot Power station, using the link from the GC to Banbury (which would also serve for passenger trains to the South Coast, of course).

We do have an idea to run the Newcastle - Poole service on our route as we have found out that it was timetabled this way before the closure of the line.

Also we had better get collecting MGR stock!!!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I look forward to seeing this on the exhibition circuit, excellent and inspiring work.

I've often dreamed of (having the space to build) a model of Woodford Halse circa 1985, based on an important what-if: That the Channel Tunnel project HADN'T been stopped in 1975.  The main freight route to the North would have been via Tonbridge - Redhill avoider - Guildford - Reading - Oxford - Woodford Halse - Rugby - Leicester (Midland, via a flying junction with the line from Nuneaton).  Woodford would have remained open for the surviving skeleton passenger service from Marylebone, and the rationalised yards would have been where electric traction handed over to diesel to continue North.

Just a dream of mine, one day I'll have the shed (sorry, aircraft hangar) large enough to do it in OO.......

I look forward to seeing this on the exhibition circuit, excellent and inspiring work.

I've often dreamed of (having the space to build) a model of Woodford Halse circa 1985, based on an important what-if: That the Channel Tunnel project HADN'T been stopped in 1975. The main freight route to the North would have been via Tonbridge - Redhill avoider - Guildford - Reading - Oxford - Woodford Halse - Rugby - Leicester (Midland, via a flying junction with the line from Nuneaton). Woodford would have remained open for the surviving skeleton passenger service from Marylebone, and the rationalised yards would have been where electric traction handed over to diesel to continue North.

South surely? Wasn't there once a plan for the MS&W 1500v DC electrification to be extended to Woodford?

• RMweb Premium

South surely? Wasn't there once a plan for the MS&W 1500v DC electrification to be extended to Woodford?

T'would make sense, however...... I would have thought it unlikely that by 1975 DC electrification would have been extended rather than using the (by then European standard) 25kV ac from the South.  Getting off the point, but it's conceivable the GW mainline would have been electrified in the 70s if Reading - Didcot - Oxford was already wired, or at least Reading - Paddington for all suburban services.  Then Oxford - Birmingham as well.

• RMweb Gold

HI all,

So after a very successful weekend of testing,  here are a couple of videos so you can see what we hopefully achieve.

If the above works i will post up a couple more in the next few days

Cheers

Edited by Mr.S.corn78
  • Like 16