The McMullen Coal Company Light Railway

Owd Bob

No video of the historic event i'm afraid idris, as i've yet to get a camera with a video feature on it! :fool: Been busy most evenings this week in getting last years home made cab and saddle tank to fit the Katie, luckily i measured just right last year and although i've had to shave 5mm off the back of the smoke-box to make it sit flush with the tank front everything else lined up great! The original Roundhouse water filler which also bolts the tank down was soldered onto my tank and the holes for the water filler and chimney were then drilled and filed out in the right places. I've made another pair of running boards and i'm waiting for some rivet supplies to arrive to add a bit more detail around the smoke-box door area, i've ordered a better battery carrier to fit down the inside of the saddle tank just like the 'Jack' loco' has fitted.  :)

post-31611-0-99301800-1495103511_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-13716000-1495103553_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-84165200-1495103595_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-08224800-1495103629_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

One thing that can help with the gas setting is to put dot on the gas tap so you can see how far you are turning it (the setting you need will vary according to the ambient temperature on a warm day it will need to be lower as the gas pressure will be higher than on a cold day also the setting will need to be turned down as the heat spreads to the gas tank). Running my Katie I would turn it down so the steam production was only just keeping up with the demand. If she looked to be running out of steam I would stop in the station and allow her to get her breath back.

The new body looks rather more Butch than the original. Something you would expect to be pulling coal or mineral wagons around not drifting around with a couple of coaches.

Don

very nice Bob whom turned your chimney?  phil

Chimney was an e-bay find phil' somebody in Ireland sells them regular on there for a tenner. Cheers Don' great info' and yes i want a rugged, rough workhorse looking loco'........and as filthy as heck. :no:

• RMweb Gold

Boo hiss Pinzer! We'll have to club together and buy you one for Christmas!

Wow! Just wow! I have to admit that looks the business, and is a far improvement over what was offered from Roundhouse. You should offer your services as designer for them!

If you ever decide to dispose of her, first dibs please!

Boo hiss Pinzer! We'll have to club together and buy you one for Christmas!

Wow! Just wow! I have to admit that looks the business, and is a far improvement over what was offered from Roundhouse. You should offer your services as designer for them!

If you ever decide to dispose of her, first dibs please!

No need to club together Idris my old charity shop camera has just bitten the dust so i'll go find one with video on it this time...as long as its less than a fiver :jester: Well i don't know one loco' make from another and i based this on my favourite J94 that i saw at my local colliery for many years, but as you mentioned Peckett Idris i went and googled some pics' and i now know what you mean, i see now that Hornby make a lovely '00' gauge one, so i'll rob the Peckett works plates off my old battery driven saddle tank loco and stick 'em on this, and i'll make a few more alterations to the body style to suit the looks....so thanks for the nod Idris. :thankyou:  

Nice link Phil' and lovely atmospheric pics', i agree they are not as grubby as the ones i saw local to me at both Bickershaw and Astley Green back in the '60's & '70's  :) where many happy days were spent 'Waggin' School and hiding out in the old unused brake vans :jester: More progress on 'Warrior' over the last few days to report, The smokebox was plated, riveted and painted up and looks a lot better with the front and sides plated straight down and angle iron fixed on the base. The saddle tank was etch primed and then bolted to the cab. The chuff pipe fitted in ok after removing 2cms off the two exhaust pipes. I'll have to order a spray can of the dark Red paint to be made up this week as the Red car spray i used for the boiler(which will barely be seen) was much too light a shade. The running boards are primed and will also be painted Red before i can fix them on.

post-31611-0-01480400-1495378723_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-33970000-1495378909_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-87628300-1495378766_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-25943600-1495378804_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-38274000-1495378849_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-56637100-1495379230_thumb.jpg

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Grand job Bob     Ive seen a lot of pics and the odd video of the colliery traffic in steam around your area. My mate gives me the low down what was where when we pass certain areas  . When I was a kid we used to go to the local sidings and cook bacon and eggs on the stove in the guards vans. [Often they were still lit} What amazed me in all the years we did this we only got chased off once. They must have known we were there?  phil

• RMweb Gold

Great stuff Pinzer. Good to see the loco coming on, and waiting with baited breath to seeing it finished.

I'm glad I had something to do with the inspiration. I love industrial railways. Its worth having a trip to the Foxfield railway when you get the chance http://www.foxfieldrailway.co.uk/ . I'm going to try and persuade SWMBO that we can go to one of the Gala weekends in July. Here is a taster of whats on offer. 

And there are some more pictures of Peckett's here. https://www.martynbane.co.uk/peckett/locos.htm

:angel:

• Like 1

I LOVE that loco - it looks spot on.  I am learning so much from this thread - thank you Owd Bob.  My own Katie is very light-footed and will spin her wheels with any kind of decent load unless the rails are bone-dry, but I'm guessing that the new bodywork will have added a bit of useful weight as well as transforming her looks.  Crackin' job!

David

Many thanks for the link Idris  :) plenty of food for thought on there..brilliant! Thanks David ;)  it is heavier all over and seams very well balanced now, and i'm glad as the Katie did seam to have most of its weight on the cab end, just ordered the Red paint and i should pick it up later today, i'm just thinking now about lining it? as Idris's link has just shown me some very nice paint jobs  :D i don't have the steadiest of hands but i'll try my best later this week with NM's borrowed lining pen, i'll just be glad to have it all back together and not have parts strewn all over the bedroom :O  :jester:​ 

• Like 3

Many thanks for the link Idris  :) plenty of food for thought on there..brilliant! Thanks David ;)  it is heavier all over and seams very well balanced now, and i'm glad as the Katie did seam to have most of its weight on the cab end, just ordered the Red paint and i should pick it up later today, i'm just thinking now about lining it? as Idris's link has just shown me some very nice paint jobs  :D i don't have the steadiest of hands but i'll try my best later this week with NM's borrowed lining pen, i'll just be glad to have it all back together and not have parts strewn all over the bedroom :O  :jester:​ 

If  my Mrs was involved the parts would be all over the house.  It must be a swmbo thing . Put it away anywhere as long as its not together .So ill go and hide her crayoning book

or hide a couple of pieces of her jigsaw puzzle so she cant finish it ,then when shes gone off to work [ cos I'm a kept man] putting them in to finish  it :jester: Revenge is sweet.  phil

Edited by 77philg

• RMweb Gold

I was watching one of my railway DVDs last night Pinzer and a thought came to me. Perhaps you should paint the front of the smokebox and saddle tank and rear cab with the wasp stripes. You get some idea from this photo. https://thetransportlibrary.co.uk/image/cache/catalog/K/T/0/0/KT000345-1000x1000.jpg I'm afraid I'm not having much luck finding more. 

Found one! http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4064/4369386565_26d1f0204a.jpg

Edited by vjoneslong

Cheers Idris :)  more good ideas and inspiration yet again!  Maybe my third loco' build may well get the full wasp end treatment. Here is the shell now painted and plated up. I'll Black the chimney with satin paint with just a touch of shiny brass around the top rim. Another day in the airing cupboard should see it fully dried and hardened off. 

post-31611-0-26335100-1495529707_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-53023600-1495529748_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Hello Deltic. 

Just a quick message to thank you for your email. I'll be in touch.

Ian

Great to be back in touch again Ian, hope you'll be joining us on here soon and posting. :)

Great to be back in touch again Ian, hope you'll be joining us on here soon and posting. :)

I've been signed up to this forum for ages, but rarely look in. It was for my friends layout of Ellesmere that I joined. Nothing to post for my 16mm stuff  about as I've done nothing since I painted up one of my newqida bogie coaches last year. I do a have a second one partly painted. Much too big for your line I'm afraid. My Lady Anne is in bits. Football this evening, but I think I'll put it all back together tomorrow evening. As usual I'm inspired and motivated by your work. I'm even tempted to raid my piggy bank and run to a second loco if I can find one I like. I'd love a Jack. Great to see you've not stood still. Not that I thought you would!  :imsohappy:

• Like 1