CARROG in 4mm & Ruabon discussion...

coachmann

An hour altering CV's on a 64XX with me big coat on in a cold shed was enough, so the afternoon was spent in the warmth of indoors building the innards for Carrog signalbox.....

post-6680-0-64530100-1498773492.jpg

A Ratio kit No.553 Signalbox Interior provided most of it, while I built a brick fireplace and the red single line token 'postbox'....

post-6680-0-25162800-1498773491_thumb.jpg

post-6680-0-36812800-1498773494_thumb.jpg

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 18

Larry

If I did that good a job in a 7mm scale signal box I would be right chuffed. And it would have taken me a week!

Yet more inspiration,

Paul

You are very kind Paul. I happen to have a spare 7mm GWR signalbox ha ha..........But I suspect it is far too large for Penmaenpool.  It was too large for Carrog.

You are very kind Paul. I happen to have a spare 7mm GWR signalbox ha ha..........But I suspect it is far too large for Penmaenpool.  It was too large for Carrog.

Yes, I remember.  But Penmaenpool's is all wooden clapboard and built within the original wooden platform.  It still stands housing a natural history exhibit but much modified.  Eventually I will visit with tape measure.  As it will stand on Module 4 and I haven't started Module 1 yet, it will be a while.

Paul

• RMweb Premium

Looks a nice cosy box Larry, but looking at the equipment don't you need another token machine for the other single line? And you won't need the block bells and block instruments on the shelf... (but the block instruments cold be reduced in height to make lamp in/out indicators....)

I fancy that that chair is more comfortable than the one here....

Cracking work

Andy G

Looks a nice cosy box Larry, but looking at the equipment don't you need another token machine for the other single line? And you won't need the block bells and block instruments on the shelf... (but the block instruments cold be reduced in height to make lamp in/out indicators....)

I fancy that that chair is more comfortable than the one here....

Cracking work

Andy G

Thanks for your  input....I need it. My knowledge of box interiors is zilch. I knew where the book was to sign Rule 55 (?)  when reminding the bobby we were at a signal, but I never took in what was around me even on visits to boxes when photing. I know what the other machine looks like 'cos I gotta 7mm one, so I'll build one now.

Isn't it always the same....I searched through albums yesterday for photos of GWR box interiors, which I was sure were there, but to no avail.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm not sure how the GW laid out their boxes, so I don't know if the other token instrument will be next to the first or at the other end of the frame, Mike will know I'm sure...

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

Owwww, I like the Webb staff instrument. At least the drivers will see two different types of staff as they hand and receive them, so no mistakes!

Andy G

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I'm not sure how the GW laid out their boxes, so I don't know if the other token instrument will be next to the first or at the other end of the frame, Mike will know I'm sure...

Andy G

Usually at opposite ends (as Larry has done) and there could well be block bells on the shelf - we had them at a couple of my 'boxes where there were token machines.

One thing that does need to be done is to get rid of those yellow levers as crossing loops on the GWR had fixed distants unless (in some cases)they were equipped to switch out.  The pic below shows the interior of a relatively large 'box on a single line and although it is a preservation period creation it has been done quite accurately to WR period practice (and GWR practice in some respects) complete with block bells on the block shelf - and note how the shelf is supported from above, common GWR/WR practice until the final Reading design.

post-6859-0-80670000-1499011017_thumb.jpg

• Like 12