CARROG in 4mm & Ruabon discussion...

coachmann

There was a grass covered mini embankment behind the Up platform in BR days (preservationists removed it).  A peice of scrap plywood was sawn to the required curve and glued with Evostik behind the platform together with and edging of crumpled newsprint...

attachicon.gifWEB goods yard 7.jpg

Vinyl ReadyGrass was glued over it with assistance from a heat gun....

attachicon.gifWEB Goods yard 8.jpg

The view towards the signalbox after Woodland Scenics ground scatter has been added....

attachicon.gifWEB goods yard 11.jpg

The path has been eliminated. When dry, the ash will be filed down to dust....

attachicon.gifWEB loading bay 8.jpg

Wow, looks great Larry.

The 1979 1:2500 OS map doesn't show any railway track, so was it all lifted at one time and then re-instated by the preservationist.

For both these maps you will probably have to zoom out and move around on them,

but eventually you'll get there.

https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/310500/343500/12/100954

The 1909 1:2500 OS map shows a weighbridge were the footpath is now.

https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/311849/343625/12/101136

Edited by Penlan

Thanks Penlan for the maps. You are correct about the weighbridge.  The photo below show this machine as well as the slope from the station approach down to the goods yard proper. And of course the resident GWR clerestory Camping Coach that was in all-over brown at this time (early to mid 1950's). There will be no such coach on my layout before anyone asks, as it would inhibit operation in the yard. It's where Rule 1 kicks in so that I can have end and side loading goods traffic and a coal siding.....

post-6680-0-40982200-1497000973_thumb.jpg

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 5

1/2500 Editions of the Ordnance Survey seem to be very rare for the Carrog Area - 1875, 1901 and the 1970's.

post-14569-0-54888000-1497001925_thumb.jpg

The cattle dock and weighing machine are shown on the 1875 map, presumably provided when the station was first opened.  The weighing machine remained until at least 1957, the weighing equipment being housed in a small wooden shelter.  The two goods sidings were originally supplemented by wagon turntables and three short stub sidings, probably removed when the sidings were realigned to accommodate the extended platform and signal box at the same time as the loop and additional platform were provided.

Altogether quite an interesting little station and with its restoration in the preservation era giving an opportunity of running an endless variety of trains through it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The mention of the camping coach and how it would stifle shunting leads to some interesting thoughts.

From what I know about camping coaches (which isn't much!) they had no connection to any services, so in effect they could be shunted out of the way if required. (water and toilet facilities were provided by the station amenities). If I'm correct in this thought, then there is nothing to stop end loading occurring when it required to, presumably the occupants of the coach would be warned first though!

Andy G

The mention of the camping coach and how it would stifle shunting leads to some interesting thoughts.

From what I know about camping coaches (which isn't much!) they had no connection to any services, so in effect they could be shunted out of the way if required. (water and toilet facilities were provided by the station amenities). If I'm correct in this thought, then there is nothing to stop end loading occurring when it required to, presumably the occupants of the coach would be warned first though!

Andy G

Going off what I saw in steam days, a Camping Coach was protected on the principal that if it could happen it would. This could entail removing a rail to prevent accidental access to a siding. A working goods yard is not a playground.

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 1

Because I am unsure of where boundaries should lie between roads and grassland, my thoughts have moved to the station buildings so that once in place I can complete the scenery at the back of the baseboard. The parts rounded up include these lovely etchings from Scale Link....

post-6680-0-55872100-1497014936.jpg

post-6680-0-13877700-1497014938.jpg

As far as I am concerned, building buildings is a necessary chore and so Bachmann's Highley station house makes a handy short-cut... 

post-6680-0-89565300-1497014932.jpg

The first move was to remove the bay window. It is a potentially dangerous process and I always take extreme care while doing it. Window apertures will be cut outside as well, then the rest will be a decent indoor job...

post-6680-0-77614700-1497014934.jpg

post-6680-0-26395000-1497016523_thumb.jpg

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 9

There was a grass covered mini embankment behind the Up platform in BR days (preservationists removed it).  A peice of scrap plywood was sawn to the required curve and glued with Evostik behind the platform together with and edging of crumpled newsprint...

attachicon.gifWEB goods yard 7.jpg

Vinyl ReadyGrass was glued over it with assistance from a heat gun....

attachicon.gifWEB Goods yard 8.jpg

The view towards the signalbox after Woodland Scenics ground scatter has been added....

attachicon.gifWEB goods yard 11.jpg

The path has been eliminated. When dry, the ash will be filed down to dust....

attachicon.gifWEB loading bay 8.jpg

Looking a little more complete. I need some more measurements of the station approach lane before going any further....

attachicon.gifWEB goods yard 10.jpg

Hi Larry.

This is looking rather good, as a frequent visitor to the Llangollen Railway we know Carrog very well. We always park here to avoid parking charges in Llangollen (it's nearer Bangor anyway).

Really impressed with the quality of the photos, particularly close up, you seem to get a very good depth of field. Can i ask what camera you use? 

Ray.

• Like 1

Really impressed with the quality of the photos, particularly close up, you seem to get a very good depth of field. Can i ask what camera you use? 

Hi Ray,

I use a Canon 600D DSLR. The lens is a Mk.I version of the standard Chinese 18-55 zoom.  I looked around for this specially after seeing the disappointing results from the Mk.II or III that came with the 600D body. I use minimum aperture which at 18mm focal length is f22. I know from experience where to focus to give maximum apparent focus where it counts. ASA is 3200ASA in the shed.

Moving on a little, a series of small holes were drilled and then joined up to cut out larger window apertures before trimming then with a course file.  A window was also cut in the side....

post-6680-0-61930000-1497047547.jpg

A new front with barge boards was made from Wills SSMP200 course stone and tried for size...

post-6680-0-98050500-1497047548.jpg

Two Scale Link 12-pane windows had their lower panes removed then three parts were soldered together to form a bay window. The solid base was made from 15thou brass the 1mm brass angle soldered around its top. The window frame was then soldered to it. Finally a 44thou solid 'floor' was cut out and soldered in place....

post-6680-0-04583200-1497047550.jpg

The window is a push fit into the aperture but it will not be secured at this stage....

post-6680-0-20193800-1497047551.jpg

• Like 10

Larry, interesting to see you use a 'ready to plonk' building in this way. I've always felt they have there uses as a starting point.

Hi Trevor, speaking as a feller that doesn't particularly look forward to the buildings side of things, RTP buildings are a boon since they are so simple to alter. A typical MR building off the 'Long Drag' soon became an LNWR structure on the Standedge line in Yorkshire while a good shed from down south became a sandstone building at Delph before being recolored to granite to serve my Ellesmere North layout in Shropshire. 

• Like 3

THe new front for the station house was attached with Evostik, then the edges were filled with Loctite last night. This acts as a filler so that this morning I was able to profile the bargeboards to match the slates....

post-6680-0-99939200-1497090336.jpg

Then the sloping canopy was built over the bay window and covered in 5thou thick Plastikard slates....

post-6680-0-11431400-1497090338.jpg 

The canopy has six support beams under it so they were glued on and left to harden before filing everything to shape...

post-6680-0-07289200-1497090339.jpg

The stonework on the corners was filed to match as near as possible that on the end. Photos taken in the rain....

post-6680-0-04493300-1497091220.jpg

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 10

Photos are being taken on the garden railway extension for convenience while it is constantly raining. Here the window frames are temporarily in place. The ground floor window had to be raised some 3mm after making the mistake of lining it up with Bachmann's windows. It will be noted the bedroom windows in the adjoining section have been 'plated' over....

post-6680-0-31832000-1497100404.jpg

I cannot praise the ScaleLink etched windows too highly. They are so useful and, with thought, can be made to suit a multitude of types. 

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 5

The station house, wall and Gents are built now. I made use of a spare toilet block and made the wall to suit this.  This 'long wall' is only half the length it should be but space is tight and a corrugated goods shed and booking hall/tea room have yet to be added. The smaller decorative bay window is a preservation-era fitting. The original window was a normal fitting....Those chimneys should be fun....not....

attachicon.gifWEB buildings 17B.jpg

The wall it too high to match the Bachmann toilet. It would have looked longer had I made it less high.... 

attachicon.gifWEB buildings 17.jpg

attachicon.gifWEB buildings 18.jpg

Getting there....

attachicon.gifWEB buildings 19.jpg

I have been giving some consideration to the station overbridge seeing as the track visibly turns to the right instead of left. The external waterproof tunnel has a transparent top so maybe it should be solid like the other three so as not to highlight the problem.

Looking good Larry ...... it will look really good with a model of one of those brand new green liveried 2 car Bogcart things trundling into the Station on it's way to Ruabon from Barmouth  :sungum:

Best regards

Craig.

Looking good Larry ...... it will look really good with a model of one of those brand new green liveried 2 car Bogcart things trundling into the Station on it's way to Ruabon from Barmouth  :sungum:

I'll leave Barmouth Bridge open ready!  :no:

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Andy G

Camping Coaches usually had steps fixed down to ground level.

They would be protected so they couldn't move. This one at Llanberis had a sleeper fixed across the rails on the 'live railway' side of it.

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/l/llanberis/index5.shtml

• Like 1