CARROG in 4mm & Ruabon discussion...

coachmann

Great call, I can see it all clearly now.

There are these distortions in the time space continuum, those that cause SWMBO to gravitate sideways towards a shop when walking in a shopping mall.

"O" Gauge is just the male equivalent. Let's face it, "Resistance is useless" 

• Like 3

It's the nearest thing to a city centre model shop but it been a blessing on more than one occasion when in central Birmingham.  Ian Allan's bookshop has a good supply of models (OO gauge only) but also Woodland Scenics supplies and I can usually find an excuse to part company with my lovely SWMBO when in town.  "See you in Grand Central in an hour?"  Otherwise known as "You go your way (John Lewis) and I'll go mine (Ian Allan)."

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Hi Larry,

I've seen the light and gone over to the dark side. Commencing in O Gauge has certainly got my "mojo" back and for an indoor winter project I've started on a small Brunellian station building...

attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_1206.jpeg

Much like Carrog and your idea of foreshortening the scene in O Gauge I'm sure you'll manage to get a similar feel.

I'm with you on the change over to O for this one and will watch with great interest.

Grahame

Brilliant

Mike

Having been for a walk in the snow this morning it would appear that the Llangollen Railway has cancelled all Santa Specials this weekend ..........better have them running next weekend as I'm taking my grand daughter  :triniti:

The BBC24 News took cameras to Llangollen which is allegedly the worst hit part of Wales.  If the railway was operating today amid a superb snowscape, few photographers would be able to get there apart from those living beside the line. I set the central heating to 24 degrees early this morning and it has only reached 21.8 even now. It's flippin cold out theer.

• Like 1

The BBC24 News took cameras to Llangollen which is allegedly the worst hit part of Wales.  If the railway was operating today amid a superb snowscape, few photographers would be able to get there apart from those living beside the line. I set the central heating to 24 degrees early this morning and it has only reached 21.8 even now. It's flippin cold out theer.

Almost cold enough for SNOW?

It's been bitter all day here Larry the heating has been blasting away all day plus the log burner ......snug as a bug in a rug. I did walk down to the station again this afternoon beautiful scenery indeed then enjoyed an excellent Sunday Lunch in The Grouse ......well one does need to support the local pub to keep it in business. 

• Like 9

It's been bitter all day here Larry the heating has been blasting away all day plus the log burner ......snug as a bug in a rug. I did walk down to the station again this afternoon beautiful scenery indeed then enjoyed an excellent Sunday Lunch in The Grouse ......well one does need to support the local pub to keep it in business. 

I hope you wore your Crampons, hahah.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Oi...behave!  We only talk Great Western....    :nono:

Ah, Great Western - here you go then guv.  With the compliments of the season to one and all, bet you didn't know that 'our' Railway got to Paris ;)

post-6859-0-19956200-1512988785_thumb.jpg

PS Yes, it really was broad gauge at that time - but not the real broad gauge as it was 18.25 inches short of the magic figure

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Ah, Great Western - here you go then guv.  With the compliments of the season to one and all, bet you didn't know that 'our' Railway got to Paris ;)

attachicon.gifParis GWR.jpg

PS Yes, it really was broad gauge at that time - but not the real broad gauge as it was 18.25 inches short of the magic figure

Or here:

https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/06/34/a8/71/historic-railway-station.jpg

• Like 5

What the....?  Local experts placed some doubt on the rumour the pair had come down from Wrexham off the GCR line, and someone even suggested he had spotted them on a branch in Cambridge. Whatever, here they are entering Carrog behind 6404 late this afternoon. Photo by 'Teaky' Thompson....

post-6680-0-01218200-1513181708_thumb.jpg

(I had weathered the chassis, ends and roofs for a friend).

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 14

Nonetheless, i could see Paul Chetter has moved the bar on DCC sound beyond everyone else's. A comparatively recent development was the use of F-key 5 for an alternative exhaust. Paul has gone beyond this by using F-key 6 for an even quieter exhaust and 7 for one quieter than that. This in effect give four stages of exhaust that represents the driver using his reverser to use less steam as the train accelerates to running speed. 

With the LH90 handsets four F'key's, it would entail pressing F'keys 1&5, or 1&6 or 1&7. I would prefer this 4-stage process to be 'on the dial'. Surely it would be possible for the exhaust to change automatically once a loco reaches a given speed as determined by the relevant CV ..?  For instance, I am already able to determine when the quieter exhaust kicks in on current decoders without even using F-key 5.

I doubt I will get the chance to experiment with a Paul Chetter soundfile seeing as I have eight sound decoders already going spare from my 00 locos.

Larry,

Thank you for the recognition.

As well as the 4 stage reverser you describe, the sound also changes with throttle operation, just as other sound projects may. (In theJinty, the lower volume sound in each reverser position is a different set of exhaust sounds, not just the main set played more quietly). The duration of the acceleration sound can be adjusted in the usual way with ZIMO decoders - change the value in CV282. So the control you get from elsewhere is still available; the additional reverser positions are an enhanced feature with my steam projects which is possible due to my close liason with ZIMO software developers who have produced this enhancement to my specifications. (also in the Minerva Pannier 'official' sound project, but with fewer positions).

The purpose of separating the two different exhaust sounds controlled by the throttle, from the increasingly cut-off sounds controlled by the Reverser keys is so that driving the model is more like driving a real loco, where regulator and reverser are different controls with different effects on power and sound produced, and less like making an electric powered model move about. Yes, it requires more input, but as an engineman you will know that the driver's job is pretty intensive and for me, the ability to operate these controls independently to vary the sounds is what enhances the experience.

The F5 you mention (which actually uses two inter-linked sound projects on one decoder, so cannot be migrated to the throttle control) may be new to some, but it has been a standard feature of all my steam projects since 2010. It also temporarily changes the inertia and momentum settings in CV3 and CV4, which revert back when F5 is released.

If your spare decoders are ZIMOs, Digitrains can reblow them to any of my sound projects.

Kind regards,

Paul

Edited by pauliebanger

Thanks Paul, When you say any of my Zimo's can be reblown by Digitrains to any of your sound projects (I standardized on Zimos almost from the outset),  I wonder if this excludes your latest projects that i heard recently on Jintytrains 8750 Pannier? In other words, does Digitrains also have your latest several stage 'reverser' using F-key's 5, 6 and 7?  I would dearly love to 'have a go' with this new exciting sound in a 4mm Bachmann Pannier with a Zimo 648 decoder.

• Like 1

Thanks Paul, When you say any of my Zimo's can be reblown by Digitrains to any of your sound projects (I standardized on Zimos almost from the outset),  I wonder if this excludes your latest projects that i heard recently on Jintytrains 8750 Pannier? In other words, does Digitrains also have your latest several stage 'reverser' using F-key's 5, 6 and 7?  I would dearly love to 'have a go' with this new exciting sound in a 4mm Bachmann Pannier with a Zimo 648 decoder.

Yes, Digitrains can reblow ZIMO decoders with any of my own sound projects, but so far only the Jinty has the full set of 4 reverser positions. This is because the high number of individual exhaust sound samples used in this project means it cannot be converted from a normal project, but has to be created from scratch, and so far, I've only had time/recordings for the Jinty.

The Pannier I mentioned  was specifically created for Minerva models. Jinty has this because he did some Beta testing of the project during development.

Kind regards,

Paul