CARROG in 4mm & Ruabon discussion...

coachmann

Good man, very decisive and I hope you will enjoy it Larry.

I'm still sitting on the fence with a leg in each field, and it's bloomin painful. :no: :no: :no:

It must be painful if you're sat on a barbed wire fence! ;) Edited by SVRlad

Hi Larry,

I note you have changed the sound file for the Pannier and knowing how important it is to you may I ask which file you are now using please ?

The reason I ask is mainly that I've splashed out on the Minerva 57xx today from the Reading Trade Show and I will be installing a re-blown sound decoder ( Zimo ) into her.

Grahame

I started off in O scale 17 years ago,  started a much too ambitious layout,  tore it up after a couple years thinking O was too challenging.  Then tried all the smaller scales,  N,  TT,  HO,  OO,  and attempted to build half a dozen layouts,  only to become dissatisfied with them,  thinking I'd chosen the wrong prototype,  railway company etc...   and starting again.    

Back in 2016,  my Dad purchased a Dapol O gauge Terrier,  he couldn't resist it due to the low price. Package arrived from the UK while he was away and he instructed me to go ahead and open it up and have a look.   Once the loco was out of the box,  I knew that was it  !   Eureka  :yahoo:

In my opinion with O,  you get the feeling of the real thing,  due to the size / weight,  not to mention detail + the figures look like real characters you'd see or maybe even remember from your youth.   

In HO / OO,  I felt like I was shunting little pieces of plastic around the goods yard,   in O,  I get the feeling of shunting wagons around the goods yard  :) 

Once you experience O,  you can't go back,  at least for me,  sadly it took 17 years to realize that !

• Like 2

Hi Larry,

I note you have changed the sound file for the Pannier and knowing how important it is to you may I ask which file you are now using please ?

The reason I ask is mainly that I've splashed out on the Minerva 57xx today from the Reading Trade Show and I will be installing a re-blown sound decoder ( Zimo ) into her.

Grahame

The 8750 Pannier has YouChoos 28XX 2-8-0 sound  The 64XX Pannier now has YouChoos 56XX 0-6-2T sound.  I realize they look an odd choice. It's just that I go for certain sounds and these had them.  The 64XX was only hauling one Auto Trailer and I wanted to capture the light exhaust of a loco barely working. The 8750 was a goods train workhorse and to I wanted a stronger exhaust. 

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Does that YouChoos thingy make flange squeal noises ?, 5199 makes some hansom noise at Llangollen when running around it's train it reminded me of Southall

shed when all the 61xx's & Panniers where coming home to roost in the evening.  :boast:  

• RMweb Gold

Usually at opposite ends (as Larry has done) and there could well be block bells on the shelf - we had them at a couple of my 'boxes where there were token machines.

One thing that does need to be done is to get rid of those yellow levers as crossing loops on the GWR had fixed distants unless (in some cases)they were equipped to switch out.  The pic below shows the interior of a relatively large 'box on a single line and although it is a preservation period creation it has been done quite accurately to WR period practice (and GWR practice in some respects) complete with block bells on the block shelf - and note how the shelf is supported from above, common GWR/WR practice until the final Reading design.

attachicon.gifIMGP7000.jpg

The Minehead branch, single line with loops did have worked distants from the 1930s. These were installed when the auto token changing apparatus and 'high speed' pointwork was put in.

I spent a pleasant hour with Jintyman today putting a Jinty and Pannier Tank through their paces. Seeing as I want to be a little more historically accurate in 0 gauge, any wandering off into the realms of that other railway  is out of the question,  but a Pannier is a definite. The lined maroon B-set looks very neat too and suitably heavy. While lined maroon came in with the mid 1950's livery changes, I am not sure when the B-set's got lining (I am guessing it was not in the 1950's), therefore I will play safe and go for the carmine red set.

So your EARS were alive to to the sound of Panniers today then, I am SO SO jealous hahah. :no:

• Like 1

I was looking through the thread, noting how like Carrog the model looked, particularly loving the Dean Goods and coaches, and now it's O Gauge mk2! Good luck with it. The 7mm scale panniers are very, very tempting, and incredible value. 

• Like 2

Talking of O gauge, Dapol's announcement of a Y1/Y3 is seriously tempting me to create a small inglenook puzzle in that scale, and the price of it is only further encouraging me. :)

However, this would definitely be done in addition and not instead of my proposed OO diesel depot exhibition layout . . .

Talking of O gauge, Dapol's announcement of a Y1/Y3 is seriously tempting me to create a small inglenook puzzle in that scale, and the price of it is only further encouraging me. :)

However, this would definitely be done in addition and not instead of my proposed OO diesel depot exhibition layout . . .

I hope it works out well. You can obviously divide your interests. I worked in scales from 2mm to 10mm for a living, but I can only do one for a hobby.

• Like 1

:offtopic: My problem with TV Speech is the darned music they insist on putting over every program when people are talking, especially the News Headlines.

Back on Topic Larry, just off to adjust my TV's bass sound. :blind:

• RMweb Premium

one day Larry you will get to your ideal layout...be it in O gauge or 4mm. I have quite a bit of O Gauge stock but prefer 4mm.

Why? Well to build a decent layout in O does take up a lot of room ( I am not really into 4 or 5 wagon freights as I can remember

trains leaving our pit with a J27/Q6/WD/9F with long trains of coal wagons). I suppose it is what you grew up with.

Enjoy your return to O gauge.

Baz

• Like 3

one day Larry you will get to your ideal layout...be it in O gauge or 4mm. I have quite a bit of O Gauge stock but prefer 4mm.

Why? Well to build a decent layout in O does take up a lot of room ( I am not really into 4 or 5 wagon freights as I can remember

trains leaving our pit with a J27/Q6/WD/9F with long trains of coal wagons). I suppose it is what you grew up with.

In my case, it's not Baz. 

Seeing as I'm back producing coaches, this is the new upgrade of the LMS D1791 Period II 60' corridor composite in 4mm/00...

post-6680-0-75069500-1512499722_thumb.jpg

Photographed in poor light last weekend...

post-6680-0-46617400-1512499725_thumb.jpg

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 15

Can I just add your platforms look fantastic. I know you use plywood for the basic shape but what do you then use to cover them?

On Carrog, I only used the plywood platforms as a guide. The platforms you see on the layout are made from Peco platform edging (reduced in height) glued to 60thou plastikard platform surface with supporting cross members every five inches or so. That said, plywood was used under the station buildings and out back across the road leading to the goods yard.

The Peco platform edgings are really useful and can be covered in embossed brick or Wills stone, which look far better than printed paper. I spray platform surfaces with cellulose paint mixed to what I consider reflects light like tar. As you probably dont have spraying equipment, you might find a useful colour in the Howes Railmatch range of spraycans.  I use the latter's Sleeper Grime.

Edited by coachmann

On Carrog, I only used the plywood platforms as a guide. The platforms you see on the layout are made from Peco platform edging (reduced in height) glued to 60thou plastikard platform surface with supporting cross members every five inches or so. That said, plywood was used under the station buildings and out back across the road leading to the goods yard.

The Peco platform edgings are really useful and can be covered in embossed brick or Wills stone, which look far better than printed paper. I spray platform surfaces with cellulose paint mixed to what I consider reflects light like tar. As you probably dont have spraying equipment, you might find a useful colour in the Howes Railmatch range of spraycans.  I use the latter's Sleeper Grime.

Thanks for the info and keep modelling.

Larry

I am not sure how to react to the above, except to say that you are making a very difficult decision in a reasoned manner.  A few comments from my own soul searching:

Track is of vital importance to the look of a layout and 16.5mm gauge in 4mm scale simply looks odd.  And then there is the sleeper spacing if using Peco track.  Place an HO North American model next to an OO gage British loading gauge loco and the difference is astounding.  Imagine, if you will, a Cab in Front 4-8-8-2 being swamped by a Black Five!  That 0.5mm scale difference is a lot larger than one might think.

Rolling stock takes on a very different look and feel in the larger gauges - each wagon or coach has its own character.  I recently explained the fundamental difference (to my eyes) of 2mm, 4mm and 7mm scales.  N gauge is of full length trains running through wide swathes of scenery.  OO gauge is often too much railway crammed into not much scenery (Carrog being a true exception, by the way).  O gauge puts you in the action, think N = from a helicopter, OO = view from tops of buildings, O = like standing on a platform or across the fence from the tracks, just as we did when youngsters.

Locomotives are heavy, run well, have plenty of room for sound and can carry an amazing amount of detail.  Couplers can be authentic if desired.

Cost is a problem, of that there is no doubt, but the new RTR offerings shouldn't break the bank.  In my view, the £200-300 RTR locos lend themselves to a degree of realistic weathering I could never apply to a Lee Marsh brass or a Finney 7 kit.  Wagons are good value, coaches are coming down in price with several new arrivals in the past year.

Finally, the Gauge O Guild is well worth joining and Telford is not too far from North Wales!

Good luck!  Paul

• Like 3

Today I'm laying the extended Storage Roads to KM. I say ''laying'' in the looses possible terms, I have laid it out on the board, but then kept thinking?????

I often look at KM, and although this may sound vain, but I admire my scenics on KM, and I'm very proud of what I've achieved there. To attack it with a saw and knife would be sacrilege.

But, and ii's a big B U T, I look at the Track and wish I'd gone for SMP or Bullhead. The Sleeper spacing still looks wrong, not in a bad way, but just not in a good way.

I then look at the 70 or so ''OO'' Locos, about 50% with sound, at least 200 wagons and think to myself, how would I dispose of all that, then there are the smaller things, fencing, the Herd of Cattle, 60 plus Sheep, about 50 or so ''OO'' Gauge Vehicles, and other bits like Lamp Posts, Telegraph Poles, Signal Boxes etc.

Going ''O'' again is my ultimate aim, just a simple BLT with the facility to run the B Set and some wagons through a length of country side AKA Carrog, and NOT have to buy 100 Locos, 200 wagons etc.

A simple Layout, about 6 Locos, the B Set, and about 20 wagons for variety would suffice, maybe a couple of Cars, and half a dozen people.

But I still need to decide if I want to pursue KM and the lovely long Goods Trains that I enjoy seeing running below my countryside, or to bite the bullett again as Larry is BRAVELY doing.

I am building Penybont Sidings, but I know in my heart of hearts it's a short term fix to a ling term desire.

The Jury is out, I'm still sitting on that darned fence, and IT HURTS.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 4

All of the locos on that list should be out some time next year Larry from Minerva, ( 57xx ) Dapol ( 14xx, 57xx, 64xx, 45xx ) & Heljan ( 61xx & 43xx )

Lionheart also have the MK1’s coming out for your through services.

Heljan/ Hattons have the Gresley’s coming out if they made it that way on services from the eastern region.

Plenty of wagons available now as well

Looking forward to seeing in Carrog in O.

• RMweb Premium

Today I'm laying the extended Storage Roads to KM. I say ''laying'' in the looses possible terms, I have laid it out on the board, but then kept thinking?????

I often look at KM, and although this may sound vain, but I admire my scenics on KM, and I'm very proud of what I've achieved there. To attack it with a saw and knife would be sacrilege.

But, and ii's a big B U T, I look at the Track and wish I'd gone for SMP or Bullhead. The Sleeper spacing still looks wrong, not in a bad way, but just not in a good way.

I then look at the 70 or so ''OO'' Locos, about 50% with sound, at least 200 wagons and think to myself, how would I dispose of all that, then there are the smaller things, fencing, the Herd of Cattle, 60 plus Sheep, about 50 or so ''OO'' Gauge Vehicles, and other bits like Lamp Posts, Telegraph Poles, Signal Boxes etc.

Going ''O'' again is my ultimate aim, just a simple BLT with the facility to run the B Set and some wagons through a length of country side AKA Carrog, and NOT have to buy 100 Locos, 200 wagons etc.

A simple Layout, about 6 Locos, the B Set, and about 20 wagons for variety would suffice, maybe a couple of Cars, and half a dozen people.

But I still need to decide if I want to pursue KM and the lovely long Goods Trains that I enjoy seeing running below my countryside, or to bite the bullett again as Larry is BRAVELY doing.

I am building Penybont Sidings, but I know in my heart of hearts it's a short term fix to a ling term desire.

The Jury is out, I'm still sitting on that darned fence, and IT HURTS.

I knew it!

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/120051-kings-moreton-wr-through-oxfordshire/?view=findpost&p=2855045

• Like 1