CARROG in 4mm & Ruabon discussion...

coachmann

I like the New Name Larry, superb work on the Box.

Thanks Andy. I hope you are progressing health-wise. Seeing as Carrog is only being used as the inspiration, I thought it best to adopt a new name. I cannot claim any credit for Carrog Road, as it was suggested by Adrian who does my CAD's. It means the station is down the road from the village it serves. While I intend having a siding behind the signalbox serving the cattle dock, most of the goods facilities will be at the front of the layout where fly-shunting can take place and couplings easily reached. 

As things stand in the RTR market, I will have to build the passenger corridor stock. I am too old and impatient to wait for plastic RTR GWR coaches. This layout is no small project and I wanted to know for sure it would be built before posting anything on this forum. It will, but progress will not be at my usual rate of knots.

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 1

The white cement mortar courses were added using diluted Humbrol matt white, then individual bricks were picked out at random....

post-6680-0-05754700-1517171139_thumb.jpg

I expect some weathering will be added once I see how it looks on amid scenery. The brown is GWR coach Brown with signal red added. This shade appeared to be common on GWR and Cambrian lines in the area and the preserved station and signalbox has it to a tee....

post-6680-0-27427600-1517171141_thumb.jpg

post-6680-0-79379700-1517171401_thumb.jpg 

• Like 17

Glad to see you like the Minerva pannier, Larry. I've got one as well and I'm very pleased with it, although I had a closer look at the new Dapol one at the Bristol 'O' Gauge show today, and that also looks pretty good!

It will be interesting to compare the two Captain. I am eagerly awaiting the Heljan GWR 2-6-0 or the 2-6-2T, as these will determine how much rebuilding will be necessary to accommodate a larger radius garden loop.

• RMweb Gold

It will be interesting to compare the two Captain. I am eagerly awaiting the Heljan GWR 2-6-0 or the 2-6-2T, as these will determine how much rebuilding will be necessary to accommodate a larger radius garden loop.

I also noted a line up of four 64XX and 74XX panniers on their display stand, Larry, which looked absolutely superb. The chap on the stand said that he thought they were already on the boat from China (the former Lionheart ones). They also had some production samples of the former Lionheart 16t diagram 1/108 mineral wagons on show, which were also great and seem to be listed at £45 a piece. Very nice, but I am also looking forward to building one or two Parkside ones as well.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

The white cement mortar courses were added using diluted Humbrol matt white, then individual bricks were picked out at random....

attachicon.gifWEB 0 signal box 7.jpg

I expect some weathering will be added once I see how it looks on amid scenery. The brown is GWR coach Brown with signal red added. This shade appeared to be common on GWR and Cambrian lines in the area and the preserved station and signalbox has it to a tee....

attachicon.gifWEB 0 signal box 8.jpg

attachicon.gifWEB 0 signal box 8B.jpg

Your ways of transforming a model at the painting stage will never cease to amaze me.

Your ways of transforming a model at the painting stage will never cease to amaze me.

They amaze me at times haha..... I was trying to rub white mortar paint off the surface of some bricks and accidentally used a section of kitchen roll that had soaked up some white spirit. It was a divine revelation that I immediately adopted as part of the process!   :sungum:

• Like 2

Liking the signal box rebuild Larry.

I tend to agree with you about waiting for the RTR ( possibly in the pipeline ?) but as my period is pretty well catered for, early GWR, I suppose I consider myself lucky having started in O Gauge.

That said, when I left the Bristol exhibition this afternoon I got into conversation with one of the GOG demonstrators.
He mentioned that it's good to see the introduction of more RTR locos etc but also felt that it's possible the younger element of our wonderful hobby may loose the ability to construct a model / brass kit or even want to ?
With so many small hardworking kit manufacturers there it did make me concerned about our conversation and the possible impact it may well have on them.

That said, I'm wrestling with the proposed RTR GW Mogul in the offing or buying a kit.
I will admit to purchasing a Minerva 57xx last December and don't regret it one little bit.

All the very best to you and reinforce the comments about you being back here.

Grahame

Edited by bgman
  • Like 2

About the only difference that I can see with the Minerva 8750 is that it doesn't have firebox glow whereas this seems to be a standard feature of Dapol.

I'm sticking with RTR locos for now although I do want to try my hand at a kit - have a Slaters 1F on the shelf.

Wagon kits aren't that big a deal, I can do one within a week as a rule.  Given the kit and RTR wagon prices are about the same, I'll go for RTR and titivate as needed.

John

• Like 2

Unless one happens to enjoy building loco kits, I suppose it is inevitable that people will go for the latest super detailed RTR. Indeed, why wouldn't they.  Having looked around the 0 gauge second hand websites, it was disappointing to see so many poorly built locos, some with dodgy running that are not worth the original kit, motor and wheels price. So I am playing safe with RTR. All I need is for someone to announce a 7mm GWR 'Manor' and that's me sorted!

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Unless one happens to enjoy building loco kits, I suppose it is inevitable that people will go for the latest super detailed RTR.

I do enjoy building loco kits, but I've only ever done that in 4mm scale.

The advent of affordable 7mm RTR offered a way into this scale for me, which I would probably otherwise not have been tempted to take, as modelling time is inevitably limited and I still have lots in 4mm that I want to do as well!

• Like 4

The advent of affordable 7mm RTR offered a way into this scale for me, which I would probably otherwise not have been tempted to take, as modelling time is inevitably limited and I still have lots in 4mm that I want to do as well!

Oh dear Tim, another one bites the Dust / 7mm urge. :O It will be good to see what you do in 7mm, S & D BLT with the Jinty and Pannier perhaps? :sungum:  :sungum:

• Like 1

The thing that surprised me was the ease in which 7mm scale models can be built if one is only used to building in 4mm. That said, I stopped building locos for a living in 1979 (gulp!) and am in no mind to start building now in the larger scale. I would dearly love my old friend Brian Brown (ex Westward Models) to build me a 'Manor', but I would have to sell the car!   :mosking:

• Like 1

The thing that surprised me was the ease in which 7mm scale models can be built if one is only used to building in 4mm. That said, I stopped building locos for a living in 1979 (gulp!) and am in no mind to start building now in the larger scale. I would dearly love my old friend Brian Brown (ex Westward Models) to build me a 'Manor', but I would have to sell the car!   :mosking:

A friend of mine had a 7mm Manor Built, but I don't know who by, but it was stunning, and the Cab detail was out of this world for a Kit Built Loco, I'm sure he made a profit when he sold it, despite it costing both arms, both legs and his dangly bits :O  :no:  :no:  :no:  :no:

Interesting you say that about building 7mm kits Larry.  I would have thought it to be more involved if not more difficult. 

The value of Dapols RTR is very high I think.  Is the same prototype from, say, Fine Scale Brass or "gulp"  :O Masterpiece worth the price multiple I wonder?  I wouldn't like to think what a professionally built model would cost.

John

• Like 1

I have ordered a Lee Marsh Manor, it will be Foxcote Manor for several reasons (89A being one of them) because I know it will be a superb model and it can be kept in perfect condition on Penmaenpool because it was one of those that was usually kept in good condition as a regular on the Cambrian Coast Express.  Less expensive RTR locos allow me to contemplate weathering, a feature I find hard to contemplate on my own kit built models.

Having built quite a few 7mm scale locos I can say that they are easier to build than the equivalent 4mm scale model, even with the many additional parts that often need to be added.  My first was the Connoisseur Jinty which I found an easy kit to build.  I added a few brass castings to replace vulnerable white metal pieces but that was all.

Paul

• Like 6

I have ordered a Lee Marsh Manor, it will be Foxcote Manor for several reasons (89A being one of them) because I know it will be a superb model and it can be kept in perfect condition on Penmaenpool because it was one of those that was usually kept in good condition as a regular on the Cambrian Coast Express.  Less expensive RTR locos allow me to contemplate weathering, a feature I find hard to contemplate on my own kit built models.

Having built quite a few 7mm scale locos I can say that they are easier to build than the equivalent 4mm scale model, even with the many additional parts that often need to be added.  My first was the Connoisseur Jinty which I found an easy kit to build.  I added a few brass castings to replace vulnerable white metal pieces but that was all.

Paul

I saw the Dean Goods ( without its top coat on ! ) at the Bristol show yesterday and it looked superb......so so tempting together with the finish 517 mmmm ! 

Good to see you back in action, I was starting to get withdrawal symptoms.

Nice treatment of the Dapol coach, I hope they do it in 4mm. My layout area had panelled autocoaches right up to the coming of the Class 122 DMU, but they were the 70' version. 

There is always the old Ks Kit! ;)

I have two in bits awaiting making one good one....with a floor! ;)

• Like 1

Mines 9710 / 6C Croes Newydd, hahhah.

Ah...now then...6C, that's a LMR code, so later 1960s!

In my world, Croes Newydd is either CNYD,,,,or 84J! ;)

From...http://www.greatwestern.org.uk/m_in_gwr_sheds.htm

CROES NEWYDD ------ GWR 64 or CNYD BR(WR) 84J (1949 - 1960)  Shed code changed to 89B (1960 - 1963) then transferred to London Midland Region and shed code changed to 6C (1963 - 1967)

Allocation 8/1950 - 54. Closed or Closed to steam - 1967.

Edited by Sarahagain
  • Like 2

Work has started on the Carrog Road's Up platform building. The 4mm version used a ready-to-plonk station house as the basis, but this 0 scale version is scratchbuilt and will be closer to scale (in some areas)....

post-6680-0-45191600-1517500460.jpg

The bay window was built from thick glazing sheet and is removable so that the building can be sprayed eventually....

post-6680-0-97175600-1517500461.jpg

• Like 17