CARROG in 4mm & Ruabon discussion...

coachmann

I hope the 4mm building doesn't go to waste - I remember how impressed I was with the quality when you first built it, you got a really great result out of a ready-to-plonk item 

Your attention to detail, as always, is amazing

Edited by UnauthorisedCinnamon

Question for you please Larry, you said above that the Calculator was to convert from 4mm to 7mm, but as you actually measured the Buildings in 12'' to the ft, why are you not converting from 12'' direct to 7mm to the ft?

I am not aware of any convenient slate mouldings in 7mm so I cut Slaters 4mm paving slabs into strips and glued them to the roof-base overlapped. What a bummer of a job, but they look okay to me...

post-6680-0-35885500-1517591473.jpg

post-6680-0-16409600-1517591476.jpg

The ridge tiles were cut from 7mm paving and glued in place upside down so that there is raised humps between tiles instead of a grooves....

post-6680-0-92806300-1517591474.jpg

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

We all like to see your progress, and marvel at the speed of it.

What you may consider a slow build taking several days, would take some of us (like me) many months.

Please do keep posting the progress.

Pretty please.

Regards

Ian

Changing the subject for a moment, I retained some sound decoders when I sold all the 4mm models and have a MR/LMS Fowler soundfile I would like to find a use for. It must be the LMS in me!!!  I am left thinking about the Dapol 'Jinty'.  It would hardly have appeared on the Llangollen route without a Rule 1 Order, but I may yet end up with one. Which sound files have other modellers put in their Jinties?

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 1

Changing the subject for a moment, I retained some sound decoders when I sold all the 4mm models and have a MR/LMS Fowler soundfile I would like to find a use for. It must be the LMS in me!!!  I am left thinking about the Dapol 'Jinty'.  It would hardly have appeared on the Llangollen route without a Rule 1 Order, but I may yet end up with one. Which sound files have other modellers put in their Jinties?

I like the idea of a Jinty on CR Coach, mines is a std Paul Chetter one with a double speaker. Videos available of shunting and also running at our Club, on Penybont Sidings.

Hi Coachman,

You've heard and driven my Jinty which is the same sound file by Paul Chetter as Andy's and I think you may be able to get your current Zimo re-blown by Digitrains with that file. It's the one with the 4 gear positions built into it.

I'm away now till later next week, but let me know when I'm back if you want to borrow it to try out before plunging.

Jinty ;)

• Like 2

I cant see a problem with a 3F at Carrog Road.

It has obviously come down to Corwen from Rhyl and taken the wrong line back!

Water isn't a problem on such a journey, but I hope it doesn't run out of coal. Mind you, the tiny LNWR 0-6-2T and 2-4-2T's seemed to manage alright. 

Thanks for the info on Paul Chetter's 3F sound. The F-key 5, 6 & 7 stages of exhaust are fine for folk with handsets with plenty of F-keys, but not when using a dial handset with only four F-keys.  Okay, so there is a shift key to give 8 F-keys but it is inconvenient when controlling a locos movements, which is why I still prefer sound "gears" on the speed dial and control their duration by adjusting the relevant CV's. The LMS sound I have is for a 'Crab', and I love it!  So it seems the only way to find out what can be achieved is to buy a Jinty, fit the decoder and suck-it-and-see. I will most likely have to reduce the clanking volume a little bit. Going off a restored Jinty on heritage lines, these little locos still have a deeper exhaust than folk might think.

• Like 2

Okay, if you want to see progress, the basic station masters house was finished today (drainpipes and chimneys to follow). The adjacent roof is a little too high because I got the angle too steep.

Window frames will be hand painted onto thick glazing material and fitted when all the paintwork has been completed. 

post-6680-0-15775200-1517756787.jpg

The waiting room will be tackled next...

post-6680-0-09731800-1517759027_thumb.jpg

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 14

Water isn't a problem on such a journey, but I hope it doesn't run out of coal. Mind you, the tiny LNWR 0-6-2T and 2-4-2T's seemed to manage alright. 

Thanks for the info on Paul Chetter's 3F sound. The F-key 5, 6 & 7 stages of exhaust are fine for folk with handsets with plenty of F-keys, but not when using a dial handset with only four F-keys.  Okay, so there is a shift key to give 8 F-keys but it is inconvenient when controlling a locos movements, which is why I still prefer sound "gears" on the speed dial and control their duration by adjusting the relevant CV's. The LMS sound I have is for a 'Crab', and I love it!  So it seems the only way to find out what can be achieved is to buy a Jinty, fit the decoder and suck-it-and-see. I will most likely have to reduce the clanking volume a little bit. Going off a restored Jinty on heritage lines, these little locos still have a deeper exhaust than folk might think.

That's why I've ordered a Sig naTrak for my O Gauge, which when MORE is pressed displays all 28 Function Buttons plus has a 4 Button Hand Set available, and so you can tap the MAIN button, then any of the 28 and revert to the Hand Set should you so desire.

http://www.signatrak.co.uk/products/ace-dcc-controller-accessories/dcs2044-ace-15

• Like 2

I'll stick with my Lenz system Andy, as it has proved very reliable. Thanks for the info though. Carrog's waiting room was attached just now so it would be hard in the morning. It is rather a delicate structure due to the high windows...

post-6680-0-47264400-1517825358_thumb.jpg

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 14

Job stopped....Ran out of Mekpak. Anyway, the main detail is now done...

post-6680-0-45985800-1517848672_thumb.jpg

I may deviate from the 'true' Carrog by omitting the second roof canopy over the yet-to-be-built bay window. The roof was a real time waster this morning and the slates haven't even been added yet.... 

post-6680-0-92745700-1517848670_thumb.jpg

Some of the beams require more shaping once the structure has hardened off....

post-6680-0-39615100-1517848673.jpg

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 18

6 days work on and off so far .....gulp!  This shows the entrance from the road side (the platform side is basically identical). The back of the building was in shadow and I was better able to balance the exposure in order to show detail beneath the canopy. Lack of attention led me to fit the main support beams at an angle instead of horizontal. Taken overall, this building is oozing with character. The station house at Glyndyfrdwy is basically the same although it plays no part in the heritage railway. Only the red and blue brick GWR waiting shelters and some of the signal boxes display any form of GWR house style throughout the Acrefair-Dolgelley section. 

post-6680-0-12739700-1517911140_thumb.jpg

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 15

I could make a whole building in the time it took to build the little canopies and bay window.  I got the shapely supports with rounded arms a little too deep, but interest was waning last night....

post-6680-0-99366000-1518015654_thumb.jpg

post-6680-0-52066600-1518016102.jpg

The bay window minus its the window frame...

post-6680-0-74054300-1518015656_thumb.jpg

Full-frontal of the booking office and waiting rooms...

post-6680-0-18428000-1518015658_thumb.jpg

Overall view. It's getting there...

post-6680-0-78331000-1518015659_thumb.jpg

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 16

I could make a whole building in the time it took to build the little canopies and bay window.  I got the shapely supports with rounded arms a little too deep, but interest was waning last night....

attachicon.gifWEB Station up 19.jpg

attachicon.gifWEB Station up 19D.jpg

The bay window minus its the window frame...

attachicon.gifWEB Station up 19B.jpg

Full-frontal of the booking office and waiting rooms...

attachicon.gifWEB Station up 19C.jpg

Overall view. It's getting there...

attachicon.gifWEB Station up 20.jpg

Blimey Larry that's some excellent modelling especially on the canopies WOW ....Interest is not waning from the readers view point especially if your going to show 'full frontal' shots  :jester:

Andy York we do need a WOW button please !!!!!!!!

Day of the Triffids chimneys today. Nothing at Carrog is straightforward!  I perchance spotted some Plastruct bits in Rhuddlan Models and a 7mm section of square tubing. Just the job so a pair were cut and glued corner to corner last night...

post-6680-0-87432200-1518085510.jpg

Waiting room twin chimneys....

post-6680-0-13565600-1518085508.jpg

Station house quad.....

post-6680-0-73389100-1518085509_thumb.jpg

Bedroom and kitchen chimneys....

post-6680-0-73507200-1518085511.jpg

• Like 14

I spoke to Tower Models yesterday about the upcoming Heljan mogul. They think that the mogul may not be ready until late 2018, certainly some time after the large prairie is finally produced. Dapol’s small prairie is likely to be availabe sooner.

Although not your preference, the David Andrews Dukedog is going to be among a limited range of kits released this summer. I am reserving one as I like his kits and David honours his dates.

The station building looks great! What a challenge, I hope Penmaenpool’s will be easier.

Paul

• Like 1

Are you brave or foolhardy Larry attempting those chimney's is very must a 'dark sooty art'.... I always look at the waiting room chimney stack when I pass, if there's smoke coming out of it I know trains have been running that day .... it's that or they have elected a new Pope  :jester:

Fantastic modelling following with admiration  :good:  :good:

• Like 1