S7 scratch building

Open topped cattle wagons were banned at some point, weren't they? Although in the special circumstances of 1914-18, the GWR converted some open wagons to carry horses, such was the demand. I can't recall the date of the ban.

• RMweb Premium

Now the cattle van is more or less finished until the axle boxes arrive I have been looking at wagons from other companies.

Not having many vans I thought I would try a van from the M.S.W.R. There is a drawing in Vol 3 of that railway with a corragated roof which I have not seen modelled before.

I have decided before I build the body I will see if I can make a roof that will satisfy me before I spend many hours building the body and then not being happy with the roof.

I have put some double sided carpet tape onto a plastic roof that I had in stock and then used some Slaters corragated sheet to cover it with. It has taken the shape very well but the glue from the tape is hard to cut cleanly even with a new blade in my scalpel.

I will try another with less aggressive glue before going any further.

post-20018-0-88442100-1508164939_thumb.jpeg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

The second attempt is a lot better with a neater and cleaner edge. The drawing scales out the planks to 5'' wide so I have made a new jig to cut the plank line to this size just like the one I use for the floors on open wagons.

post-20018-0-66115500-1508167551_thumb.jpeg

post-20018-0-10128500-1508167566_thumb.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Not having many vans I thought I would try a van from the M.S.W.R. There is a drawing in Vol 3 of that railway with a corragated roof which I have not seen modelled before.

Towards the bottom of this page: http://www.s-scale.org.uk/gallery6.htm

Model was made at least a quarter of a century ago.

IIRC, Steve Lee had one on the P4 layout, Grafton.

...  I thought I would try a van from the M.S.W.R. There is a drawing in Vol 3 of that railway with a corragated roof which I have not seen modelled before.

I have put some double sided carpet tape onto a plastic roof that I had in stock and then used some Slaters corragated sheet to cover it.

Mike, I like your thinking for forming a curved and corrugated roof.  What worries me about such an approach is the tenacity of the glue (on the tape) over time.  I suspect that we are all aware of what happens to sellotape and parcel tape products...  the glue dries, powders and then ceases to hold.  Unless you have experience to build upon, what measures might you take to ensure that the plastic does not unravel in the future?

regards, Graham

• RMweb Premium

Graham, I have not had any long term dealings with double sided tape so I really cannot offer any advice.

I have some Ambis corragated sheet aluminium foil that I did consider using but was unsure about making it curve of the roof profile.

I took all my wagons to the S7 meeting at Mark on Saturday as requested but where were you ?

...where were you ?

Woke Saturday with a hum-dinger of not feeling good.  I am sorry not to have seen the inside of your cardboard box...  about which I was informed by one or two who had been VERY impressed.

Original text amended to reflect Richard's correction....

Edited by Western Star
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I have not made much progress with the M.S.W.R. van other than made a better roof.

We have family around to see the new grandson so railways have had to take a back seat for awhile.

I still haven't got any transfers for the tare weights on all my builds or wagon numbers.

I am also doing some private owner wagons which will need lettering.

I have bought a cheap pen and white ink from my local art shop to see if I can do all this lettering by hand.

The first test piece that I have tried has proved that I may be able to achieve reasonable results so I might persevere.

I have sketched in with a pencil on the side of one wagon to see what I hope may be possible.

post-20018-0-85050800-1508753017_thumb.jpeg

post-20018-0-45875300-1508753033_thumb.jpeg

post-20018-0-97260400-1508753051_thumb.jpeg

post-20018-0-73845400-1508753064_thumb.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I have started the long slow process of painting the W.&J Turner wagon. This is my least favourite part of our hobby. If I was a rich man I would farm out all painting to professional painters but that is never likely to happen.

post-20018-0-68764300-1508858388_thumb.jpeg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

I have started the long slow process of painting the W.&J Turner wagon. This is my least favourite part of our hobby. If I was a rich man I would farm out all painting to professional painters but that is never likely to happen.

... but it's evident you do it to a very high standard.

• RMweb Premium

To all those people awaiting Vol 3 of L.N.W.R wagons like myself will no doubt be disappointed to learn that it will not be available until next Easter.

Advertised as 'coming shortly' in the latest MRJ but I guess that's on Wild Swan time... 

Edited by Compound2632

• RMweb Premium

First attempt at lettering by hand using ink and pen.

I am not satisfied so I will wipe it off and try again with brush and paint.

I have never found white ink to flow well enough, drying too quickly and making it rather blotchy as you have discovered. May I suggest you try replacing the ink with well thinned enamels, but still applied with the pen? Takes a bit of trial and error to work properly, loading the paint onto the pen with a brush at the right consistency, but does produce usable results which I found a bit easier to do than using a small brush.

Izzy

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Izzy, I might try that.

I will persist with the ink for a while longer to see if I get any better.

I may leave it as it is with the weathered look that hide's all my poor lettering skills or the lack of them.

post-20018-0-53054200-1509025187_thumb.jpeg

Edited by airnimal
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

First attempt at lettering by hand using ink and pen.

I am not satisfied so I will wipe it off and try again with brush and paint.

You might not be satisfied with that, but I would be - particularly once weathered.