Help Modelling a River

• RMweb Gold

This evening I have finally started painting my model of the bridge over the river Avon in South Brent, so I have started thinking about how to actually model the river.

My intention is to create the basic structure from pink foam & poyfiller, profiled to the right shape, which will be integral with the lower part of the bridge (necessary to blend the pillars into the landscape.)  But I have no idea as to the best technique to model the actual water

This is the sort of look that I am going for 

gallery_54_4112_138566.jpg​River Avon: South Brent 2016

​The other issue is access to the work space.  The baseboards are semi permanent, and cannot be moved away from the wall for access.  The track bed across the bridge is also fixed in position, with minimal access behind the bridge (and next to no access once the bridge is glued into place.) 

The river runs from the garage wall towards the viewer.

Any advice / experience would be most appreciated. 

• RMweb Gold

My personal preference is Woodland Scenics realistic water. You just pour it on cold in a relatively thin layer and let it set overnight, then repeat, until you get the depth you want. Because it spreads like treacle, it will work its way into awkward corners quite well, especially with a bit of prodding. Once it sets, it's pretty stable. The only thing you need to watch is to make sure the river is level, and block off any chance of the water finding a way to leak out before it's set. You can work it as it dries to create a choppy look, as well as adding some white highlights using another product. Recently they have introduced some extra products into the water range, such as tinting agents, but I've no experience of those.

if you are using several layers of varnish or Woodland scenic realistic water, let each layer get touch dry and at that point you can paint in things like white highlights where fast flowing water and rocks are, then pour the next layer. I also managed to find some white fibre stuffing for cuddly animals which when teased out can look like spray from waterfalls.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks to all for the advice,

That woodland secnics product, along with their ripple agent looks to be exactly what I am going to need (and the posts on the Kirkby thread also provide some very useful guidance.   I will add a barrier across the ends of the river to hold in the liquid (a little harder on the back than the front) and take it from there.   The video's on the Woodland Scenics website are particularly helpful.

Reading the comment about keeping things level, I think I will need to get under the layout again and add some more support.  The hardboard temporary surface has drooped at the back (rather unsuprisingly) and will need to be replaced with some 5mm ply.  Once thats in place I can make a start.

Many years ago when modelling a canal, I painted the bed a murky green/brown and used about 10 layers of Ronseal varnish, letting each layer dry and adding a few painted highlights before painting on the next layer.  It looked pretty good, but took a long time.  I think this time I will follow your recommendations and use Woodland Scenics to make old father Thames.  Seems like some things have improved in the past 30 years!

Whatever materials and method you use I would say "take your time".  Getting the final colours right is, I suggest, the most important thing, and that is likely to need consideration and action before varnishing, adding Realistic Water or whatever.  Also, what looks right from one direction may not look right from another.  I really would try to do some as much as possible without the bridge in place.  Useful to have a photograph to follow - hope you achieve a good representation. 

I really like this guy's modelling. His videos (very clear, descriptive and in-focus) are excellent tutorials. In fact, I've come to realise that I'm watching more 'How-To' videos than actually 'doing'.

Here is Luke's video on modelling rivers & streams.

HTH, and look forward to seeing your modelling.

I guess it depends on what Fatadder is trying to achieve.  For flatish water then the Woodlands Scenic product sounds good - not that I've tried it myself.  any years ago I made a flat lake using Varnish; one this coat to seal then a couple of pours to get depth.  Problem was that the board was not level.  So I have a nice flat lake with a slight slope (since "frosted" to look like ice in a winter scene). 

For the sort of water scene shown in Fatadder's photo, I'd go for the varnish route, building up thin layers.  And also painting in water flecks as required.  You might get a similar effect using Woodand Scenics' Realistic Water applied in thin layers - but as noted, I've no experience of this product.

I've not used it myself, but I've been impressed with th elook of the river on Llangunllo - PVA I believe. The method was also used by Chris Nevard and Allan Downes.

The Llangunllo blog seems to have gone, but here's Mr Nevard's description of the method http://nevardmedia.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/pva-water-allan-downes-way.html

• RMweb Gold

I used Woodland Scenics Realistic Water with added Woodland Scenics Water Effects. The main tips are: if the rive is running to the edge of the board, plug the end with plasticard. It can be peeled off when its dry, and two - don't layer it too thick or it wont dry. Mine also cracked on the surface because I painted it too early and used solvent paint instead of acrylic. I hid the cracks with the Water Effects so no issue there.

Very impressed with it though.

I previously tried clear silicon which was ok, but difficult to smooth over.

post-21193-0-80397600-1499949542_thumb.jpg

post-21193-0-08275900-1499949682_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

I've not used it myself, but I've been impressed with the look of the river on Llangunllo - PVA I believe. 

The Llangunllo blog seems to have gone

Thank you John, the river bed was indeed created with PVA, followed by many coats of gloss yacht varnish.

The Llangunllo blog it is back, albeit in a different form. https://luggvalleyrailway.wordpress.com/llangunllo/

Geoff

• Like 1

Hello, i watch quite alot of videos on youtube about model trains. Luke towan has a good video on making a river, should check him out my friend.

Think the vids called river and streams.

Cheers

Dan

Yup. See post #10 above.