Woolmer Green 1935-40

Jesse Sim

2 minutes ago, Barry O said:

I have one to complete. Going to use a Mitsumi motor and a high level models gearbox. Quieter, smaller and a lot cheaper than other combinations. Look on his webpages as he gives a lot of help deciding gear ratios, size of gearbox (you can then easily  check if the gearbox chosen will fit). I think I can get it into the firebox.

I may start that after finishing some weathering and fettling some kit built DMUs . I yave finished the J11 tender. The boiler material isn't the best but it needs finishing.

Baz

Thanks for that. My J11 is complete, painted, weathered etc so I’m hoping to fit a combo that doesn’t involve cutting into the body. Knowing our respective rate of modelling yours will be Probably be finished before mine. Progress with J10 is incredibly slow and I don’t like to have too many projects on the go at the same time so the J11 will have to wait a bit longer. I’ve ordered some transfers but our local sorting office has had an outbreak of COVID so deliveries are sporadic.

i can’t seem to locate a 4mm scale drawing of the J11.

Thanks ROBERT

• Like 1

If they will play ball, rather than only supplying a full kit as and when they might have any stock, Gibson's?

Or, even if the detailed appearance of the frames isn't right and a bit of trimming might be needed in order to suit the different body, what about a Comet J39 chassis. Very similar wheelbase I seem to remember......

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I won an eBay bid for a Nucast o2, from a member of this parish, I’ve forgotten who, apologies if you’re reading this. I decided on using the kit to make a few things, seeing as Heljan are producing the GNR version of the O2. The chassis and running plate were going to be used for my P1, however, it was proving difficult to use the complete running plate, as more problems were occurring then I could keep up with. I decided on butchering another Hornby A1, and using sections of the running plate. It’s turned out much better and easier to work with. I feel it’s moving forward by a step and not back by ten!! It will have one or two discrepancy’s but so minor only the eagle eyed viewer or Graeme King might notice, but I am happy to live with them, considering this will be my first scratch built  loco - watch Hornby will announce it next year! On the note of Graeme King, thankyou for the help, I apologise for the countless emails I have been throwing at you, I’m very grateful (got a spelling lesson from Tony about that word just now) and I very much appreciate it. 

Here she is here, the tender needs to be scratchbuilt as well, but thanks to all those pictures and emails from Mr King I know exactly how to do it, thanks again. I’m waiting for some wheels to arrive from Markits for her and then I’ll build the frames, fit the motor and wheels correctly. She may just tow a GS tender for a little while, so I can make sure she’s running well. 

87B9291E-5876-42B3-B459-D16012301D0D.jpeg.d024cb6453112d69907706e6b99dbdba.jpeg

I was hoping to use the GNR tender and cab on a K3, but the cab is the wrong one. But, I’ve found a photo of a K3 at Sandy with a GS cab and GNR tender, so I’ve done exactly that.

20965AF0-AB17-47D3-8B2F-1E8E3C6CE7EE.jpeg.44fe9ff1449a9303ba99232162759cde.jpeg

Shes in the middle of paint job at the moment, but couldn’t help pair them up. 

The motor for the J6 should be here soon, as soon as it arrives I’ll crack on with that! 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

I won an eBay bid for a Nucast o2, from a member of this parish, I’ve forgotten who, apologies if you’re reading this. I decided on using the kit to make a few things, seeing as Heljan are producing the GNR version of the O2. The chassis and running plate were going to be used for my P1, however, it was proving difficult to use the complete running plate, as more problems were occurring then I could keep up with. I decided on butchering another Hornby A1, and using sections of the running plate. It’s turned out much better and easier to work with. I feel it’s moving forward by a step and not back by ten!! It will have one or two discrepancy’s but so minor only the eagle eyed viewer or Graeme King might notice, but I am happy to live with them, considering this will be my first scratch built  loco - watch Hornby will announce it next year! On the note of Graeme King, thankyou for the help, I apologise for the countless emails I have been throwing at you, I’m very grateful (got a spelling lesson from Tony about that word just now) and I very much appreciate it. 

Here she is here, the tender needs to be scratchbuilt as well, but thanks to all those pictures and emails from Mr King I know exactly how to do it, thanks again. I’m waiting for some wheels to arrive from Markits for her and then I’ll build the frames, fit the motor and wheels correctly. She may just tow a GS tender for a little while, so I can make sure she’s running well. 

87B9291E-5876-42B3-B459-D16012301D0D.jpeg.d024cb6453112d69907706e6b99dbdba.jpeg

I was hoping to use the GNR tender and cab on a K3, but the cab is the wrong one. But, I’ve found a photo of a K3 at Sandy with a GS cab and GNR tender, so I’ve done exactly that.

20965AF0-AB17-47D3-8B2F-1E8E3C6CE7EE.jpeg.44fe9ff1449a9303ba99232162759cde.jpeg

Shes in the middle of paint job at the moment, but couldn’t help pair them up. 

The motor for the J6 should be here soon, as soon as it arrives I’ll crack on with that! 

Great stuff, Jesse,

However, check that K3 picture you mention. I doubt if it'll have the same cab as on your model (which is the longer one, only fitted to the later-built K3s - although a few earlier builds got the type in BR days). 

At the end of the LNER's existence, the K3s fitted with GN tenders were 1812, 1841, 1854-59; all with the earlier-style of side-window cab (not the NER-style ones), and RH-drive. No tender changes were subsequently made up to the withdrawal of the class. 

This is the style of cab the GN-tender K3s carried (after they'd lost their Spartan GN cabs. 

2129375162_SEFinecastBachmannLondonRoadK361812.jpg.ac8e436e19446da230db417ed2bf6467.jpg

Note the shorter cab, larger windows and thinner mullions. 

And, RH-drive. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Great stuff, Jesse,

However, check that K3 picture you mention. I doubt if it'll have the same cab as on your model (which is the longer one, only fitted to the later-built K3s - although a few earlier builds got the type in BR days). 

At the end of the LNER's existence, the K3s fitted with GN tenders were 1812, 1841, 1854-59; all with the earlier-style of side-window cab (not the NER-style ones), and RH-drive. No tender changes were subsequently made up to the withdrawal of the class. 

This is the style of cab the GN-tender K3s carried (after they'd lost their Spartan GN cabs. 

2129375162_SEFinecastBachmannLondonRoadK361812.jpg.ac8e436e19446da230db417ed2bf6467.jpg

Note the shorter cab, larger windows and thinner mullions. 

And, RH-drive. 

Regards,

Tony. 

I’m not sure which one it is Tony, here’s the picture from the book. 

No matter if it isn’t the correct one, I’ll find the correct one eventually. 
001022D3-9AAA-45C0-A726-BB00CEA0B7EB.jpeg.a9efd0ef660734ed4d5c6e13b91c0088.jpeg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

It's the same style of cab as fitted to my 61812. Note also RH-drive.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Thanks 1

Erm....... A thorough and careful check on details in the green book or other reliable source may be in order regarding K3 cabs.

I believe that all of those originally with GN cabs (as built by Doncaster before grouping) AND GN tenders kept the GN cab until about 1939, when they received the final type of long group standard cab and low boiler mountings to clear them for work in more areas of the LNER, although that doesn't mean that they kept their GN tenders until 1939. I think most got 4200 gal GS tenders quite early.

I think the cabs with the rounded-top windows only featured on the early post-grouping locos built to a design revised by Darlington to clear LNER gauge from the outset. Some of this large batch got hand-me-down GN tenders rather than the early GS 4200 gal tender with stepped-out copings. The shorter GN tenders suited use on lines with shorter turntables, eg. in Scotland.

Later batches of post grouping locos had the longer cab with flat-topped windows either from new, or in the case of a small number initially built with a Pacific / D49 cab, as an early replacement for that following complaints from crews.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

14 minutes ago, gr.king said:

Erm....... A thorough and careful check on details in the green book or other reliable source may be in order regarding K3 cabs.

I believe that all of those originally with GN cabs (as built by Doncaster before grouping) AND GN tenders kept the GN cab until about 1939, when they received the final type of long group standard cab and low boiler mountings to clear them for work in more areas of the LNER, although that doesn't mean that they kept their GN tenders until 1939. I think most got 4200 gal GS tenders quite early.

I think the cabs with the rounded-top windows only featured on the early post-grouping locos built to a design revised by Darlington to clear LNER gauge from the outset. Some of this large batch got hand-me-down GN tenders rather than the early GS 4200 gal tender with stepped-out copings. The shorter GN tenders suited use on lines with shorter turntables, eg. in Scotland.

Later batches of post grouping locos had the longer cab with flat-topped windows either from new, or in the case of a small number initially built with a Pacific / D49 cab, as an early replacement for that following complaints from crews.

Interesting, so what does that mean for my loco? 

2 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

Interesting, so what does that mean for my loco? 

Change the tender, or change cab (and any other necessary details) as per Mick's suggestion, or apply Rule 1 as Baz says, regardless of the real thing.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I’ll talk to SEF about spares and get the appropriate cab and anything else. 

I think if I used the rule 1 here it would be blatant ignorance to the real thing. That probably sounds like I’m contradicting myself, as the P1 isn’t going to be 100% accurate, but I can live with the P1 as its scratch building a loco and not kit bashing one. Does that make sense? 

Cheers for the help

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

If it's of any use the picture was taken on the 25th May 1935. 

7 hours ago, chris p bacon said:

If it's of any use the picture was taken on the 25th May 1935. 

Just in my time scale.

It’s a good little book isn’t it? Nice section on the Nottingham to Grantham line, that will come in handy for Allington Junction. 

Edited by Jesse Sim

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Jesse Sim said:

It’s a good little book isn’t it?

I don't know which one it's in, I've got a copy of the photograph......well actually I've got something like 500 photographs of Sandy from about 1890 that I've picked up....and that's not including what I took from the mid 70's onwards......

That's starting to sound obsessive :D

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Good evening Jesse,

This loco should be on its way to Brighton Junction soon...............

1149797229_Klondike325401.jpg.2d280ab743ad8723c4ee67b4d8f8543f.jpg

1717623719_Klondike325402.jpg.35158b8604c6d9773b66a19cefb52cef.jpg

Having painted it (beautifully), Geoff Haynes delivered it this morning. 

I hope your wallet's heavy!

Regards,

Tony. 

Woweeeee, very keen to see her in the flesh, can’t wait! 

Thanks Tony and Geoff, she looks beautiful. 

My wallets always heavy, not with money, just receipts.....

• Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 3

28 minutes ago, richard i said:

Your obviously not married and have kids. My wife and kids ensure my wallet stays light. Tennis lesson, tutoring and shoes. Children seriously go through shoes at a ridiculous rate. 
richard

I’m not married, nor have kids, I bloody well hope not....

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 4