“Highland Sulzers” - Inverness TMD in the 80's - P4

Indomitable026

And from the other end.

attachicon.gifmockup27.jpg

I've added the 'sky radius' in to see how that will look.

On the face of it I may be able to fit the third fuel tank in.

Yep, that could work - bonus

post-8734-0-23956400-1505564745_thumb.jpg

There may be a risk that the tank will shadow on the back-scene, so I'll have to be smart with the lighting.

• Like 1

Buffer stops.

The question is, what sort are these?

attachicon.gifbuffer stop.png

attachicon.gifbuffer stop1.png

attachicon.gifbuffer stop2.png

Scottish? BR? Other? 

This is the nearest I can find on Lanarkshire Models website.

http://www.lanarkshiremodels.com/lanarkshiremodelsandsupplieswebsite_175.htm

Have I got the right one?

Now I've started thinking about construction issues around the board build. I've ripped some plywood to a three inch depth, these will form the main frame below to baseboard top.

post-8734-0-71801100-1505649052_thumb.jpg

post-8734-0-07571800-1505649056_thumb.jpg

post-8734-0-72526200-1505649058_thumb.jpg

I've made sure that none of the cross braces interfere with where the two point motors need to be located.

post-8734-0-77124400-1505649137_thumb.jpg

Obvious perhaps but learnt from painful lessons in the past.

• Like 3

Here I'm working out the detail of the base fascia.

post-8734-0-09519300-1505651204_thumb.jpg

post-8734-0-73408600-1505651206_thumb.jpg

One of the things Mark advised me from Fryers Lane was do not build all of the frame and fix it in place permanently, as it becomes a nightmare to work on anything within the layout.

So the corner timber up right will be fixed but everything else on the frame will be dismountable.

Note this will not be the final finish fascia, there will be separate dismountable one that will fit over and within this one. hope that makes sense.

• Like 6

Thanks for that.

Just out of interest when did BR rebuild the depot?

According to "Diesels in the Highlands" by G.Weekes (Bradford Barton), in the early 1960s when the Lochgorm site was redeveloped and the old roundhouse demolished. Presumably to coincide with introduction of diesels. (Early 60s allocation noted as "48 Type 2s, 2 Type 1s and 2 Railbuses for the Aviemore locals and the Speyside Branch"!)

According to "Diesels in the Highlands" by G.Weekes (Bradford Barton), in the early 1960s when the Lochgorm site was redeveloped and the old roundhouse demolished. Presumably to coincide with introduction of diesels. (Early 60s allocation noted as "48 Type 2s, 2 Type 1s and 2 Railbuses for the Aviemore locals and the Speyside Branch"!)

I haven't got that, I'll have to try and get a copy.

Railbuses!

• Like 1

I haven't got that, I'll have to try and get a copy.

Railbuses!

Istr they were the 4 wheeled flavour, though not sure which type. The book does have several good photos of Inverness Depot and surroundings, including interior and fuel point shots, mainly from the early-mid 70s, although several captions are wrong, eg class 24/1 noted as a 25, 26 as a 33 etc . . . . but it doesn't detract from being a useful source of now historical photos as with all the Bradford Barton series.

Regards,

Martyn.

Istr they were the 4 wheeled flavour, though not sure which type. The book does have several good photos of Inverness Depot and surroundings, including interior and fuel point shots, mainly from the early-mid 70s, although several captions are wrong, eg class 24/1 noted as a 25, 26 as a 33 etc . . . . but it doesn't detract from being a useful source of now historical photos as with all the Bradford Barton series.

Regards,

Martyn.

4 wheeled variety, I bet they were a runaway success.

Thanks for the info.

Regards,

Martyn.

Probably the Park Royal type, if this is anything to go by - https://www.railscot.co.uk/img/26/125/ - subject of the Airfix/Dapol kit and RTR by Heljan in 4mm.  But rather too early and thus a bit OT for this layout !

Alasdair

• RMweb Premium

Can't say I'd be looking for one of those to take me home on a dark snowy night in the middle of winter in the highlands.

Where's your sense of adventure?

Interesting to read that most of the first generation railbus designs were failed due to frame or chassis fractures. Too long a rigid chassis?