“Highland Sulzers” - Inverness TMD in the 80's - P4

Indomitable026

I went down the GCR today, plenty of Sulzer action...

attachicon.gifGCR4.jpg

attachicon.gifGCR10.jpg

attachicon.gifGCR16.jpg

She sounded great but looked odd...

IIRC around 1970 5343 was distinguishable from other 26s in having the yellow cab end paint carried right up to the rainstrips and this is as portrayed here.  Another feature is that latterly most if not all 26s had the large cab front windows fitted using rubber grommets (like the 27s had from new) and this also served to alter their appearance - compare some of the pics in https://6lda.wordpress.com/test-history/26043d5343/

Alasdair

IIRC around 1970 5343 was distinguishable from other 26s in having the yellow cab end paint carried right up to the rainstrips and this is as portrayed here.  Another feature is that latterly most if not all 26s had the large cab front windows fitted using rubber grommets (like the 27s had from new) and this also served to alter their appearance - compare some of the pics in https://6lda.wordpress.com/test-history/26043d5343/

Alasdair

Yep, get all that, but the beading has been removed from above the windscreen?

Was the yellow painted that far up?

All fired up from the Sulzer action yesterday at the GCR I've had another look at the mock up of my proposed layout this morning, I'm still liking it, here's a couple more pics taken with my SLR rather than on the phone...

post-8734-0-08769100-1505028144_thumb.jpg

post-8734-0-31897200-1505028239_thumb.jpg

post-8734-0-82012100-1505028340_thumb.jpg

Off to EXPO EM Autumn 2017 now to see the Buckeroo boys, Rosewater Paul and a lot of superb looking layouts - it looks like another classic line up.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gifGCR4.jpg

attachicon.gifGCR10.jpg

attachicon.gifGCR16.jpg

Flat front 2.5 windows...

I keep looking at those photos, is there something different/modified are the main windscreens? They look bigger than normal and something doesn't look quite right.

For the class 26s we have the current options on the menu...

Number 1 end;

• Main cab front windows - original, class 27 style
  • Small centre window - original, class 27 style
  • Head code discs
  • Nose doors removed
  • Beading above windows
  • Beading below windows
  • Snow ploughs
  • Head lamps, double/ single
  • Buffers, round/ oval
  • Cab side windows, original drop/ full depth sliding/ reduced depth sliding
  • Door windows, blanked off, doors from other locos
  • Body side windows/ holes

Repeat for Number 2 end (which may be different to Number 1 end)

We are only nudging the iceberg here.

What other variation's are there?

• RMweb Gold

Hi there.

Grommets are a rubber seal that fits around anything that is fitted into sheet metal some are round although not all are. It's purpose is to either prevent water ingress or to prevent pipes and cables from rubbing or both. Think old school windscreen seal rubbers that have an internal and external groove but smaller and they serve the same purpose.

Regards Lez.Z.  :senile:

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifGCR4.jpg

attachicon.gifGCR10.jpg

attachicon.gifGCR16.jpg

Its missing a number of key details like.... the discs are hash up, but there was so much corrosion in the yellow ends compromises had to be made unfortunately, its also not possible to re-instate the tablet catcher on a dual brake fitted 26 as the FV4 valve is in the way....

Did carry that configuration in the late 70s, granted with the water tank still present, but that livery was carried with the arrows on the door and the D number, dont worry though the correct doors are planned to be returned and possibly snowploughs and TOPS numbers re-instated, provided the major repairs required dont take too much time and go to plan! Might sound good but produces a bit too much smoke for my liking...... yes the beading has been removed due to excessive corrosion above the cab windows....when the ends are replated that and possibly the west highland lamps may be re-instated but that requires the movement of an Air tank, and that all a long way off.... Windows have never changed on 26s, they dont use a "fillet" on the seal so the seals are larger.

The livery is due to a "1976"policy applied at the gloucestershire warwickshire railway" it would be back in civils if i had my way.....

As regards the doors....they were not blanked off 26s were given entirely new doors on refurbishment, the original doors were discarded, 26043 current carries a set of ex 33 doors, the doors it carried at the end are made entirely of wood with a fibreglass skin.

If you need to take a closer look at it for moddeling purposes do drop me a line...

10816599023_45eb7b4fed.jpg

Edited by pheaton
  • Like 1

Hi Damian,

26/0s also had oval buffers when built and different bogie springs. But by the 80s some had round buffers and some loco's had bogie swaps and were running with later bogies.

Cheers Peter.