• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Worsdell forever said:

You're gonna have to build a storage unit to keep this lot in next...

Ah, you appear to be assuming that I do not already have a cunning plan. :paint:

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1
  • RMweb Gold

I spent a useful couple of hours earlier sorting & tidying the garage loft.  It is now looking more like a storage area than a near inaccessible dumping ground.

I found a few model railway items that I thought were there but just couldn't remember which box they were in.  Amongst them was a large 850g cannister of Badger Mogramair airbrush propellant.  The price sticker says £3.62 Ashton Model Supplies.  This is partly used and has the airbrush valve fitting screwed into the top.  It feels slightly over 3/4 full.  It hasn't been touched for 39 years!  I'm amazed it hasn't leaked away.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi Rob.

With all the innovative gadgets you have built, I'm hoping you wont mind accommodating  Sasquatch in Teaky's attic as well. :biggrin_mini2:

• Like 2
  • Funny 1
  • RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

Hi Rob.

With all the innovative gadgets you have built, I'm hoping you wont mind accommodating  Sasquatch in Teaky's attic as well. :biggrin_mini2:

No problem Shaun.  Welcome aboard the slowest layout thread on RMweb.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1
37 minutes ago, teaky said:

Welcome aboard the slowest layout thread on RMweb.

Oh ! I dunno !!! :lol:

• Friendly/supportive 2
6 hours ago, teaky said:

No problem Shaun.  Welcome aboard the slowest layout thread on RMweb.

Don't be too  sure about that. It took me a year to get the ballast down on Queensbury!

A snail passed me the other day and I nearly caught a cold from the draft.

Edited by Sasquatch
Procrasinated too long and timed out.
  • Funny 6
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I found some softer foam and used it to modify the mounting of the paint shaker to allow it to wobble more.  I also turned the motor through 90° for additional wobble.  After digging out a few tinlets of enamel and trying them this has definitely helped.  However, I am not totally convinced.  The lumpier paints needed a brief stir to ensure the lumps were small enough to move around freely and even once everything appeared fully stirred I still found myself using the old small screwdriver I use for mixing by hand to check there were no lumps left.  I have a feeling I may still use the mixer but more for 'maintaining' paints rather than 'restoring' older ones.

Here's a photo of the modfied set up.

1413047504_workbenchpaintmixer2.JPG.7622d61c6e2782edc3de01b99a29740c.JPG

It is my intention to standardise on acrylics for most tasks.  It may be that the shaker copes with these better but I don't have any that have settled out to test with.

The photo above also includes a modified milk frother.  This stirs the paint well but doesn't have the strength to loosen too much solid paint if it has settled a lot.

There we have it.  Both stirrers work but neither is as versatile as an old screwdriver.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

I made a small "paddle" which I can use in my mini drill.... cover the tope of the open jar/tin before starting it up though!

Baz

• Informative/Useful 1
  • RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, chris p bacon said:

Yeh...and I bet it was manna...:D

Yes, it was.  So much for my attempt at some mild humour. :rolleyes:  I think Manna may have got it though.

I ordered a 10ml bottle last night, so when it arrives I will test it on a particularly crusty tinlet of Humbrol enamel.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2
  • RMweb Gold

The eucalyptus oil arrived yesterday so I gave it a try on a few old tinlets.

The particularly crusty one proved too much of a challenge.  Several drops of oil turned the contents into something with a similar consistency to warm Blu Tack which seemed promising but, not wanting to use up too much of my new purchase, I then added some white spirit and have not been able to improve on a rather grainy mixture.  Tinlet written off.

Some other tinlets of varying ages (several branded Airfix!) have come out very well using 3 or 4 drops of eucalyptus and nothing else.

It would be wrong to say that this is statistically significant but I will definitely be reaching for the eucalyptus oil as a first option from now on whenever I need to improve the consistency of old enamel paints.  Thanks Manna.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 5