LNER Gresley Teak Coaches in O Gauge from Hatton's

Hattons Dave

On 10/06/2021 at 14:48, Hattons Dave said:

Hi everyone,

H7-TC115-001_202106091437_3252055_Qty1_1.jpg.33519290edc5051ad1aacbf55d8456fb.jpgH7-TC175-001_202106091509_3252043_Qty1_1.png.e458b7fed02738fffaf62ae3f5d007d2.png

I'm pleased to let you know that the LNER Teak liveried variants of our Gresley coaches have now arrived into stock. These are all priced at £179 each and are not subject to the grading system (as per our BR liveried models). 

You can view the full range, HERE

Regards,
Dave

Hello Dave,

Thats good news - I’ve been waiting for these!

One question if I may, why is the lining a sort of orange/ teak colour? I was expecting it to be primrose like on the pre production sample below. Is there a prototypical justification for the orange colour? It looks neatly done, so it would be a shame to have to redo it.

Regards

Andy

• Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Had a bit of a false start with these as two out of the three I had ordered arrived with broken steps and running boards. Today the replacements arrived safe and sound with no broken parts. However, like John earlier in this thread , I fail to see how these will couple up?

I am loathe to have to start hacking them about.

Dave answers to this?

Thanks.

Cheers, Ade.

4 hours ago, Adrian Stevenson said:

Had a bit of a false start with these as two out of the three I had ordered arrived with broken steps and running boards. Today the replacements arrived safe and sound with no broken parts. However, like John earlier in this thread , I fail to see how these will couple up?

I am loathe to have to start hacking them about.

Dave answers to this?

Thanks.

Cheers, Ade.

I think I posted some clues to coupling earlier in this thread Ade.  I used Kadees between the coaches (0 gauge Kadees are so much nicer than the 00 ones) and

a folded paper gangways (from Invertrain I think).  The gangways supplied are rigid and only OK for loco ends IMO.  For the loco ends, dropped cosmetic buckeyes (included) and hooks.  If you wanted you could use screw link, it just wouldn't be prototypical.  I did find I had to hack up the gangway base to get access for the hook coupling.

John

• Like 1

On 15/06/2021 at 09:11, thegreenhowards said:

Hello Dave,

One question if I may, why is the lining a sort of orange/ teak colour? I was expecting it to be primrose like on the pre production sample below. Is there a prototypical justification for the orange colour? It looks neatly done, so it would be a shame to have to redo it.

Regards

Andy

Hard to tell without seeing a larger image but it could be an optical illusion. The prototype was lined with primrose but had a thin red line alongside the primrose which may look orange at a distance.

8 hours ago, MikeTrice said:

Hard to tell without seeing a larger image but it could be an optical illusion. The prototype was lined with primrose but had a thin red line alongside the primrose which may look orange at a distance.

Thanks, that would make sense. If Dave confirms that with a close up picture, I might buy one. Otherwise I’ll wait until I can  see one in the flesh.

Andy

Posted (edited)

Thanks Ade,

That looks much better. The red looks rather over thick to me but I can live with that. I’ll take the plunge and order one.

Regards

Andy

Edited by thegreenhowards
Typo
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

I finally got the lights installed in my coaches.  This took a long because I had 30 odd figures to paint - a job I detest.  The figures are a mix of Slaters and Omen.

I chose a system from Layouts4U which involves a 3V battery and switch installed in the end door.  This was quite inexpensive.  Batteries are included.

There is an official lighting system from Gaugemaster that uses some kind of motion sensor to turn the lights on.

P1010013.JPG.e3122954d5f38a0ed1af4cfcb52b07f5.JPG

You can see the battery holder glued to the bulkhead.  The switch can just be made out as a button in the middle of the end door.

P1010015.JPG.d0e8cdcc29c3f9be7473ec34b125a0f5.JPG

Switch from the rear.  There is a spine that needs to be removed otherwise it is too thick.  I retained the top of the spine because it has the "canvas" gangway cover.

P1010016.JPG.20136c3ec839e81bcab2a1f82e978fdd.JPG

LED light strip is self adhesive.

P1010017.JPG.c89c25b8f777edef6ff27d46b55f0f74.JPG

Whoa!  Those are bright!

P1010018.JPG.a0fa70e3f99a433522ecf0328701203c.JPG

Coach interior illuminated.  Too bright?  I will ruminate on that.

I think that's it for these for now, there are a ton of other jobs to get done.  Eventually, I would like to super detail the underframes.  You will see what I mean in this pic:

P1010019.JPG.eaf4b6f2b1c68b8c0a7387423bf029e1.JPG

You can see how sparse the U/F detail is on the Heljan.  The lower coach is a heavily modified Kirk kit of a 52' Gresley BG.

Cheers for now.

John

Edited by brossard
  • Like 2