Disused line and farm yard

andyfoulger

As a newbie ... this challenge seems to be an ideal opportunity to develop some modelling techniques (ahead of the cameo comp that I also entered during [another] moment of madness)

I'm thinking of a disused single line running along an embankment, small service bridge allowing access to a run down farm yard, a grounded 10t van .... A local scene serves as the inspiration ... 

A card mock-up has been started, I'll post some images during the week.

Andy

post-32049-0-77158200-1507621424_thumb.jpg

• Like 18

Considering the addition of a 'track removal crew' for the disused track... I believe that the Padiham loop was 'recently' removed by contractors using conventional JCB type kit (research required) .... there should be scope to add interest with this type of activity.

Paul - I might need to pick your brains on a few points as this develops ...

Andy

• Like 1

I've been using google maps and bing maps to look for similar bridges, single line embankments, small farms etc and caught myself thinking "now that's a nice bridge" ahhhgg - taking this too seriously ?!

Do I a) seek help b) join an appreciation society c) pretend that this thought never crossed my mind ?

Having read the other posts in this forum I've realized that 'more' is required for my 'box' as there's some cracking ideas being presented.

Andy

• Like 3

As a newbie ... this challenge seems to be an ideal opportunity to develop some modelling techniques (ahead of the cameo comp that I also entered during [another] moment of madness)

I'm thinking of a disused single line running along an embankment, small service bridge allowing access to a run down farm yard, a grounded 10t van .... A local scene serves as the inspiration ... 

A card mock-up has been started, I'll post some images during the week.

Andy

Wow! If that's your card mock-up the rest of us might as well not bother!

Wow! If that's your card mock-up the rest of us might as well not bother!

post 1 includes an image of the 'inspiration' rather than the mock up - sorry for any confusion.

I know that the other entrants have little to fear from my modelling skills

Andy

I've been attacking bits of card this evening, just to see what 'happens'  the white card and the white beasts make for difficult viewing but the hopefully the concept can be seen. I'll put the track bed on an incline in the next mock-up and the abutments will be similar to the photo in post 1. The farm / farm yard and the grounded van body will be placed on the level bits either side of the bridge.

Family outing tomorrow to measure-up the bridge of post 1, it's 100m around the corner from home so no flasks / butties / road map required ...

Andy

post-32049-0-76733200-1507937642.jpg

post-32049-0-85199900-1507937656.jpg

post-32049-0-64703300-1507937667.jpg

post-32049-0-08577200-1507937679.jpg

• Like 6

Risk assessment.... ah, erm...

our older girl looked at the mud... and that was that, back to car she went! Younger girl was ok until she fell on her backside, game over! Got some simple measurements, pics and a much better idea of what needs to be modeled.

I think that The ‘ farm’ has morphed into allotments following the outing.

Andy

Edited by andyfoulger

I've allowed myself to get distracted by the other 'cake box discussions' (fellow club members do have to give me a nudge once in a while when I loose focus!).

The mention of multiple entries and 'through the window perspectives' are very interesting.

The idea of 3 or 4 cake boxes being placed next to each in order to create a large scene got my attention, each cake box being a valid entry and post-competition they can be posed as a collective.

I didn't find any workable ideas for 4 cake boxes making a square 'mega cake', well, non that retained the embankment idea I'm working with. 3 cake boxes being placed end to end (as per box file layouts [nod to BOOKING HALL])could work though ...

'through the window perspective' ideas... I'm now considering the grounded box van being placed on an outer edge of the scene - with the outer wall missing - more detailing work required for the van interior - and the loading doors in the open position... would this be considered 'modelling plagiarism' ?

Andy

while looking for more images of 'track removal' - I stumbled across a 1972 image of 'Holborn low level' (http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/s/snow_hill/index55.shtml), [copyrighted image?] the signal box caught my imagination. hmmm, cake box number 2 ?

Does anyone have additional images of the box ? or ideas where else I should be looking ?

I've skimmed through the layout threads by Sebbarrow and bigdaveadams1 - didn't spot anything .

Andy

progress on this 'box' ?

erm,

delayed by a)work, b)a total clear out of the cellar  (well, a very good tidy up at least), c)new lighting installed in the cellar so that I can see what I'm doing in the new space and d)too much 'researching' ....

The embankment will be made from expanded foam insulation rather than card as used in the mock up.

I've failed to locate any off-the-shelf bridge 'kits' that match then image in post 1 above - so I've dug out the DAS ready for this weekend.

It seems that reasonably realistic 00 bulldozers are a rare bread, Woodland scenics produce a kit for £10... maybe the Hazel Grove show this weekend will have something cheaper ?

Andy

• RMweb Gold

"b)a total clear out of the cellar  (well, a very good tidy up at least), c)new lighting installed in the cellar so that I can see what I'm doing in the new space"

How big is your 8" x 8" diorama going to be ? ;)

I think that the bulldozer in post 13 hs been identified as a 'Caterpillr 933g'! A link in Ron Heggs brilliant  'Manchester Cetral' page had a very clear image of two of these things being transported by Becks heavy haulage.

Can't find any 4mm models of a 933g bulldozer - 'Booking hall' wonders if I'll be scratch building ... ah.

Having thought about the scratch build question ... This entry is all about learning (post 1) and having seen Ron Heggs take on 'Manchester' (I've only read 50 of the 131 or so pages so far) ...why not scratch build a simplified bulldozer ? nothing ventured and all that ....

Andy

I think that the bulldozer in post 13 hs been identified as a 'Caterpillr 933g'! A link in Ron Heggs brilliant  'Manchester Cetral' page had a very clear image of two of these things being transported by Becks heavy haulage.

Can't find any 4mm models of a 933g bulldozer - 'Booking hall' wonders if I'll be scratch building ... ah.

Having thought about the scratch build question ... This entry is all about learning (post 1) and having seen Ron Heggs take on 'Manchester' (I've only read 50 of the 131 or so pages so far) ...why not scratch build a simplified bulldozer ? nothing ventured and all that ....

Andy

Hi. might I suggest the Langley models Drott. often seen on track lifting expeditions.

Hi. might I suggest the Langley models Drott. often seen on track lifting expeditions.

thanks for the suggestion. I had a look at the Langley models Drott and then stopped looking when I saw the price tag :) 

Woodland scenics have a 'bulldozer' kit at £11 or thereabout but it seems to have a cable operated blade.

I'll stick to the scratch build idea for the moment.

Andy

I was just wondering had you considered looking in the german HO ranges for a dozer ?

Wiking do a nice old fashioned Hanomag bulldozer , maybe with a repaint it could look ok ?

Cheers

hi, thanks for the Wiking suggestion ... seems that my previous efforts to find a 'dozer were rather feeble ...

scratch building ( or perhaps - creating huge pipe of waste plastic) will be attempted first - I've still got an whole 19 days until the 'dozer is required for our club show ...

Andy

• 4 weeks later...

My self imposed deadline of the club's annual show was upon me all too soon, the deadline was missed and I ended up displaying a CBC entry that was far from complete, this caused me a great deal of discomfort given that I'd encouraged other club members to present their own CBC entries - which were stunning. One lesson well and truly learnt.

Mock-ups 1, 2 and 3 came and went, mock-up 4 was half of mock-up 3 plus some other bits tacked on.

The curved wings of the bridge presented some difficulty, I had to re-learn how to draw 2D sections of a 3D cone in order to cut the required piece of card - the piece that would be 'the wall'.

post-32049-0-42213400-1511420641_thumb.jpg

I got there in the end, now the plan was to cut some embossed stone sheet to glue onto this framework. I hadn't appreciated that the resulting stone work would not appear level, so the embossed sheet idea was scrapped and a layer of DAS was applied with a view to scribing in the stonework. The scraps of foamboard glued to the back of the 'wall' were added to provided support for the stone cappings that would be made from DAS.

Andy

• Like 1

More views of the displayed CBC

post-32049-0-70933000-1511423145_thumb.jpg

post-32049-0-29770600-1511423146_thumb.jpg

post-32049-0-20890100-1511423148_thumb.jpg

post-32049-0-17975200-1511423145.jpg

Mock-up 5 (final version?) will have a number of differences to previous efforts...

- The embankment will be parallel to the back edge.

- The 'rear face' of the embankment won't be modelled.

- The track bed will be level.

- A larger section of the farm building will be modelled.

- Some sort of foam block will be used for the embankment in order that the scenic material is supported in a good way

- It will actually have a footprint that fits inside the allowed 8" x 8" !!

- It will have a scenic finish applied.

I'd mentioned a Caterpillar Bulldozer in earlier threads, this hasn't been forgotten. I was able to find some more images that showed the 'missing' details, so I'll be putting on my learning cap again and having a go a scratch building a 'dozer.

Andy

• Like 6