Aberdeen Kirkhill T&RSD

Flood

Signed copies available a week on saturday?

W H Smiths a bit thin on the ground around these parts!

Mike.

I'll direct everyone in the direction of Glenn (it must be his layout because there is only his name heading the article) but as his agent I will expect a cut from any bribery money that he is offered. :jester:

Edited by Flood
  • Like 1

Definitely merits a prize for the best RM cover for a long while!  Great article though I'd take you to task over the last sentence ​"though one thing is certain; there won't be a third Aberdeen Kirkhill..." ​In the words of Bond, David Bond 007 - Never say never.... In fact I know someone who could supply you with a scale 70' turntable from the original drawings of the Ferryhill one. :)

Great work guys.

• Like 2

Definitely merits a prize for the best RM cover for a long while!  Great article though I'd take you to task over the last sentence ​"though one thing is certain; there won't be a third Aberdeen Kirkhill..." ​In the words of Bond, David Bond 007 - Never say never.... In fact I know someone who could supply you with a scale 70' turntable from the original drawings of the Ferryhill one. :)

Great work guys.

Good to see you at Perth a few years ago Bob, will you be going to ModelRail Scotland this year? It would be a real pleasure to meet you again.

Hi fellas

Just finished reading through the article and the layout looks great in its new form, are coming anywhere South with it this year?

Sadly we've had no offers as yet but I'm sure you can bang a few heads together and get us invited somewhere nearer to you in the future.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Sadly we've had no offers as yet but I'm sure you can bang a few heads together and get us invited somewhere nearer to you in the future.

Leave it with me. Chris are you listening?

Edited by Temeraire

Flood, a quick question, how long are the sidings that hood a full scake length HST?

I am planning a terminus and it’ll give me an idea of length.

Ta

Dan

Each Mk3 is 75 ft long in reality so with couplings that's near enough 1 ft per coach so 8 ft. A model power car is 9.25 inches so in all that is 9 ft 6.5 inches in OO, 10 ft will just give some clearance by the points if it is a dead-end siding. Just in case you are a lot younger than me that length equates to 3 meters 4.8 centimetres.

Edited by Flood
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Fantastic article in the Modeller this month - the extension looks great :good:

The layout is on my bucket list so will try to get to Nottingham show, but if not hope you get to do some more shows ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Looking back through this thread, the graphic created back in 2013 to illustrate the passenger rakes operating on Aberdeen Kirkhill, I was wondering if any of the rakes have been altered in formation since or indeed if you have any additional rakes. I believe I'm correct in thinking that two HST power cars (at least one buffer-fitted) and 30-odd freight vehicles have been added since then but I'm not entirely sure if you have any extra passenger sets (possibly a third HST set ?) Apologies if this has been covered in a post since then or indeed in the Railway Modeller article and I've missed it.

When I first set up the stock for Kirkhill I managed to model every rake that would have worked on and off the depot and these rakes were all covered in the graphic of 2013.

Since adding the main line I did manage to form the two extra Mk2 push-pull rakes (one 5 car and one 6 car) and we now have numerous HST sets (about six I think). The only other passenger rake that was needed was an out and back Craigentinny Mk2 aircon set that was allocated to InterCity East Coast (10.30 Edinburgh - Aberdeen, 14.45 Aberdeen - Edinburgh). This too was made consisting of: Mk2C TSO (B/G), Mk2D TSO (I/C), Mk2D TSO (B/G), MK2C BSO (B/G), Mk2D TSOT (I/C), Mk2D FK (I/C). Strictly speaking the Mk2C TSO and Mk2C BSO were not made and had temporary Mk2A replacements.

Since we have realised that the mainline cannot be worked as per the actual timetable then some compromises have had to be made. Two HST sets start the sequence and a third can be added once a sleeper set is out of the fiddle yard and onto the shed. Sadly the East Coast Mk2 aircon set has had to make way, there is no room for it in the fiddle yard.

Two push-pull sets work the rotating mainline workings but we have used some modellers license to state that Aberdeen kept the maintenance of the Mk2 push-pull sets after 1985. This means that one push pull set that worked from and to Craigentinny ECS in reality can now do so from our depot. In turn we have enough space to keep a complete spare maintenance set on shed during the day which can swap with one of the other sets as required. By doing this we are now back to being able to use four push-pull sets in the sequence.

I used to know the numbers of all the HST power cars but Glenn has added quite a few to the list now. 43064, 43092, 43117 (the towed dummy), 43159 and 43179 are in Executive, 43102 is in blue and grey, 43123 is the DVT and 43072 is in Swallow. I've a feeling that Glenn has at least two more in the pipeline. The HST power cars were covered in a bit more detail in the Rail Express article.

Finally there are the two rakes for the charter service hauled by the steam locos. One is the SLOA Pullman set with a BCK at each end, an executive liveried buffet in the middle, one Pullman 2nd class Kitchen car and six? Pullman 2nd class Parlour cars. The other is the InterCity land-cruise rake (Mk1 BCK, 5 Mk1 FO, 4 Mk3a Sleepers - all in Executive or Swallow).

Just to finish we would be delighted to see as many people as possible at either ModelRail Scotland w/e 23/24/25 Feb or at Nottingham w/e 17/18 March.

Edited by Flood
  • Like 5

In fact I know someone who could supply you with a scale 70' turntable from the original drawings of the Ferryhill one. :)

Interesting. I’m currently in the planning stage of a new layout which would incorporate this turntable... How would I get my hands on this?

Interestingly, the Ferryhill Trust are reinstalling the centre post of the turntable tomorrow (Thursday 8th Feb) and the refurbished turntable itself hopefully next month.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Just to finish we would be delighted to see as many people as possible at either ModelRail Scotland w/e 23/24/25 Feb or . . .

I’ll be there on 23rd as a punter and 24th helping on Newhaven Harbour. Will come and chat.

Paul.

• Like 1

What is it they say? "I saw this and thought of you" ?

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/920-railway-motors/page-82&do=findComment&comment=3039393

​Maybe a wee bit too late at 1994, but more suitable for Kirkhill3

Crickey Bob, I never realised that you were gonna take on the challenge that Kirkhill3 will obviously be. That's very brave of you. :jester:

The question is though whether it will be later than 1988 or earlier (1960s steam?)

• Like 2

Crickey Bob, I never realised that you were gonna take on the challenge that Kirkhill3 will obviously be. That's very brave of you. :jester:

The question is though whether it will be later than 1988 or earlier (1960s steam?)

Edit: Removed as most the post was cut off since the system does not like Apple Unicode emojis!

Edited by AberdeenMRC - Mike

It has to be post 1988 :)

I spoke with you guys in zPetth a while back but I’m looking forward to Glasgow. I’m currently planning a layout of Aberdeen, Vlayhills and the container terminal so hopefully you’re up for a chat! Perhaps Kirkhill3 can be on collaboration! :)

My loft is 60’ so the scenic will be 2x 48’ which can be joined at an exhibition or setup in an L. This gives me 12’ diameter curves.

Keep up the good work guys. I really enjoy seeing this layout and the recent article.

Edited by AberdeenMRC - Mike

I couldn't do the layout Justice - though if I could I'd probably move it on to 91-96 when the route and depot was electrified :)

Craigentinny! - has a very close affiliation with Kirkhill.....

(and In the land of fiction, as part of the route upgrade, Kirkhill was also electrified).  So instead of a lot of seagulls going about there were fried pigeon's around the shed doors).

​- Clayhills by 91-96 was reduced to three HST's overnight with a reducing amount of 158's over for fuel and during the day, the Sleeper set and an HST on turnaround.  Apart from the odd fuel point visitor, so your depot train plan has to be very much a "what if". On the other hand if you go back to steam days, the yard was very much busier.

Edited by Bob Reid

Kirkhill (sic) may not have had the same facilities or equipment as it's parent depot - but it did occasionally resort to the use of a crane (in this case re-wheeling one bogie on Generator Van 6313 off the Sleeper) 

post-6691-0-40212400-1518258270_thumb.jpg

​In that shot, the paint on those Oxford Rail Mk3's is looking a little less optimistic Graham!

Edited by Bob Reid
  • Like 7