Aberdeen Kirkhill T&RSD

Flood

More progress this weekend:

Board 1, the last to be extended has had its extension added:

80134C8B-8944-4DCD-834E-E1C0BCB14872_1_105_c.jpeg.c94230778647d80edfa67278872a3b07.jpeg

This board doesn't join to anything else at this end, so this is where all the tolerances stack up so this is where all the slight differences in length of the components become apparent, hence it has been surformed to neaten off the end.

The join between boards 1 & 2 has worked well too.

014884AB-0854-47B0-BD83-4B4EAC31C673_1_105_c.jpeg.14003d71402730ff01fa55df94fee868.jpeg

I've also begun to cover the extensions in cork, to provide the base for the track etc. in the same way that we did for the original boards. The easiest way I've found is to glue cork flooring tiles on to the plywood.

6666916E-C001-4866-AF6D-BFF547850B9B_1_105_c.jpeg.d45c3318f7f77025cc6eb800159eb303.jpeg

I've stapled the edges to help stop them lifting while the glue sets.

67F26143-313E-44AA-80C4-F8E1AD94C560_1_105_c.jpeg.f5ae35a94bbd54deefb9b7e42dfeee66.jpeg

The change in construction method seemed to work well and as I said last week, results in a stronger board, so I've begun to add cross-members to the other boards as well. I did 5 and 6 yesterday.

518FB5DD-5A1D-47FE-A764-CAD0F7C43807_1_105_c.jpeg.521d13518c8f39b3a70f7179f07b2b53.jpeg

I've also made new end boards to the new width for Boards 5 & 6. The rest to follow.

50584EF7-F4AE-44D1-9299-16695921D2F7_1_105_c.jpeg.fa2d798a13473ca9410987aa0596ac0c.jpeg

Edited by Dunedin
Re-inserted missing images.
  • Like 7

The layout is going to look fantastic once all the mods are done. When's its first outing down south on the exhibition circuit again?

Thank you. That's certainly the intention anyway.

We don't have any confirmed bookings after Crewe in November this year. We had invitations for 2016 for Model Rail Scotland, Turner's Folley and Chatham, but these had to be declined due to our year off. I am hopeful that we will be invited again next year, but time will tell.

I am also hoping to get us a follow-up article in Railway Modeller early next year, so that should also assist in generating renewed interest on the exhibition circuit - in addition that is, to this thread!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thank you. That's certainly the intention anyway.

We don't have any confirmed bookings after Crewe in November this year. We had invitations for 2016 for Model Rail Scotland, Turner's Folley and Chatham, but these had to be declined due to our year off. I am hopeful that we will be invited again next year, but time will tell.

I am also hoping to get us a follow-up article in Railway Modeller early next year, so that should also assist in generating renewed interest on the exhibition circuit - in addition that is, to this thread!

Good luck with more invitations and with the RAilway Modeller article. Will be looking forward to seeing progress on the feed.

• 1 month later...

How's progress on the modifications going?

Phil

All the original six boards have had their 9" extensions added for the main line. I popped over to Glenn's a week last Wednesday and we completed about 3/4 of board 7. This was finished, including an additional diagonal strengthener, by Glenn last weekend.

So the next stages will be adding the cork to all the new horizontal surfaces and then painting all the new sections of wood in primer. Once this preliminary work has been done then track laying and wiring can commence. Finally all the revised scenery, buildings, lighting towers etc can be added.

We would like to have all the fiddle yard with a working main line ready for the Alsager Exhibition on 5th and 6th November this year but we now feel that is asking too much. A realistic option is all the main viewing boards completed with half the fiddle yard able to be used to run stock into and out of the depot. Even then we will probably have to have manually operated points in the fiddle yard.

We feel that as long as the front is finished then the layout will at least be to exhibition standard, anything we can achieve that is more than the above will be a bonus.

Glenn is busy this weekend, I will drop him a line and hopefully he can post photos of our work over the last week.

Many thanks for your continued interest.

Edited by Flood
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

All the original six boards have had their 9" extensions added for the main line. I popped over to Glenn's a week last Wednesday and we completed about 3/4 of board 7. This was finished, including an additional diagonal strengthener, by Glenn last weekend.

So the next stages will be adding the cork to all the new horizontal surfaces and then painting all the new sections of wood in primer. Once this preliminary work has been done then track laying and wiring can commence. Finally all the revised scenery, buildings, lighting towers etc can be added.

We would like to have all the fiddle yard with a working main line ready for the Alsager Exhibition on 5th and 6th November this year but we now feel that is asking too much. A realistic option is all the main viewing boards completed with half the fiddle yard able to be used to run stock into and out of the depot. Even then we will probably have to have manually operated points in the fiddle yard.

We feel that as long as the front is finished then the layout will at least be to exhibition standard, anything we can achieve that is more than the above will be a bonus.

Glenn is busy this weekend, I will drop him a line and hopefully he can post photos of our work over the last week.

Many thanks for your continued interest.

Thanks for the update. It's a great layout and really interesting watching what you're doing to develop it.

Since Graham has said I might post an update, I suppose I'd better do it then!

Board 7 is an entirely new board, being at the right-hand end of the plan that I posted on 31st January. This board both lengthens the layout, enabling us to fit the new fuel point where the fiddle yard was and it will also carry the mainline round a curve, through the junction onto the depot and onto what will be a new bridge board to the new fiddle yard.

It will also have the new Wellington Road Bridge which will cross the mainline and form a scenic break on the curve. As a result, it is quite large, being basically 4ft x 4ft, with a corner chopped off.

Board 7 with the torsional stiffener added underneath:

I thought we may need two diagonals, but one has proven to be sufficient.

822024A4-7A73-4690-AA1A-A21E891FBDC8_1_105_c.jpeg.869274aab6944610d3920f25e092ab22.jpeg

Board 7 mated to the existing, extended Board 6:

E984A514-9F87-40E9-AC97-D8980165A4FD_1_105_c.jpeg.204db061201cf455429998e1e4114a92.jpeg45E69139-FA6C-4AED-B836-1C4AEB7DAEC4_1_105_c.jpeg.6743dd338e9d731c9fea60857b1d0b8b.jpeg

Board 7 with the points for the depot junction laid on loosely and some flexi-track for trial-fit. This is to make sure that the positions on the plan translate into reality and there are no cross-members under the board where the point motors need to go!

6FE00A2A-8A58-4B55-BF26-F177F706E59B_1_105_c.jpeg.e7b856fac402de5d7d93a217f52a5d1d.jpeg

On this last photo, you can see that part of the board is now covered with cork. This is the depot area. The mainline and the junction will also sit on cork, but it will be cut as a template under the track, so that it helps to create the impression of a ballast shoulder. We don't need this in the depot area, so everything will be on the same level. Doing this also means we don't have any height transition between the depot and the mainline through the junction, so things should run smoothly and reliably.

I've also painted the top of Board 7 this evening with undercoat.

Edited by Dunedin
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Since Graham has said I might post an update, I suppose I'd better do it then!

Board 7 is an entirely new board, being at the right-hand end of the plan that I posted on 31st January. This board both lengthens the layout, enabling us to fit the new fuel point where the fiddle yard was and it will also carry the mainline round a curve, through the junction onto the depot and onto what will be a new bridge board to the new fiddle yard.

It will also have the new Wellington Road Bridge which will cross the mainline and form a scenic break on the curve. As a result, it is quite large, being basically 4ft x 4ft, with a corner chopped off.

Board 7 with the torsional stiffener added underneath:

I thought we may need two diagonals, but one has proven to be sufficient.

attachicon.gifIMG_3431 copy.jpg

Board 7 mated to the existing, extended Board 6:

attachicon.gifIMG_3414 copy.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_3416 copy.jpg

Board 7 with the points for the depot junction laid on loosely and some flexi-track for trial-fit. This is to make sure that the positions on the plan translate into reality and there are no cross-members under the board where the point motors need to go!

attachicon.gifIMG_3432 copy.jpg

On this last photo, you can see that part of the board is now covered with cork. This is the depot area. The mainline and the junction will also sit on cork, but it will be cut as a template under the track, so that it helps to create the impression of a ballast shoulder. We don't need this in the depot area, so everything will be on the same level. Doing this also means we don't have any height transition between the depot and the mainline through the junction, so things should run smoothly and reliably.

I've also painted the top of Board 7 this evening with undercoat.

Thanks for the great update. Some really nice progress there. Looking at the track layout in the pictures and the track plan (although Rmweb copy of pic is not clear) so I may be looking at it wrong. Does the main line go from double track to single as it exits the scenic section off board 7?

Thanks for the great update. Some really nice progress there. Looking at the track layout in the pictures and the track plan (although Rmweb copy of pic is not clear) so I may be looking at it wrong. Does the main line go from double track to single as it exits the scenic section off board 7?

Thanks.

The mainline is intended to stay as double track round to the fiddle yard in both directions. The depot junction takes the track from the depot onto the Up Main, so there will be a further crossover to the Down Main for trains heading from the depot to Aberdeen. On the plan, I haven't drawn both lines beyond the crossover, which is why it may be unclear. This will be on the bridge board before the fiddle yard, but the intention is to keep the mainline double so we can pass trains should we want to/need to. It would of course be simpler to reduce the main to a single track off-scene, but this will mean more operational restrictions, so I'm hoping to keep it double. As Graham said, we may need to simplify some things off-scene for the first few appearances, but I'm hoping we can retain this part of the plan.

• Like 1

The new Board 7 was painted last week, which meant we could finally begin track-laying last Sunday.  Hooray!

This started with the removal of the old fiddle yard and the laying of the new fuel point:

Getting the alignment correct before actually laying the track:

7AD3DE36-134D-4461-AA64-3B18D1F74851_1_105_c.jpeg.da0a95aa44430f6e86de18681b140565.jpeg

0F1BA322-48EE-41D7-8F8B-A7712599771E_1_105_c.jpeg.6c72199933248e18e2e986a5e57afaeb.jpeg

The points for the depot junction:

EFF2E167-BE3B-4899-8111-2ABDB5682F89_1_105_c.jpeg.418fb950ba28ec3c1beab01307afa9a4.jpeg

Do we name it Kirkhill Junction or Wellington Road Junction, as it will be under Wellington Road Bridge?

We're going to change the point at the depot end of the fuel point tomorrow night from a medium right hand point (SL-E95) to a large radius Y (SL-E98) because this will give us about another 4 inches of straight at the fuel point and means we don't have anything on a curve. The junction at the far end isn't quite where I drew it on the CAD, because I hadn't made allowances for my torsional stiffener, which has ended up beneath the board right where the point motors needed to be. This means the junction has had to move in about 2 inches, with a corresponding effect on the fuel point. Such is life!

You begin to see in these photos just how much larger Kirkhill 2 is going to be - and this is only just over half of the length. Cripes!

Edited by Dunedin
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium

The new Board 7 was painted last week, which meant we could finally begin track-laying last Sunday.  Hooray!

This started with the removal of the old fiddle yard and the laying of the new fuel point:

Getting the alignment correct before actually laying the track:

attachicon.gifIMG_3459 copy.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_3460 copy.jpg

The points for the depot junction:

attachicon.gifIMG_3461 copy.jpg

Do we name it Kirkhill Junction or Wellington Road Junction, as it will be under Wellington Road Bridge?

We're going to change the point at the depot end of the fuel point tomorrow night from a medium right hand point (SL-E95) to a large radius Y (SL-E98) because this will give us about another 4 inches of straight at the fuel point and means we don't have anything on a curve. The junction at the far end isn't quite where I drew it on the CAD, because I hadn't made allowances for my torsional stiffener, which has ended up beneath the board right where the point motors needed to be. This means the junction has had to move in about 2 inches, with a corresponding effect on the fuel point. Such is life!

You begin to see in these photos just how much larger Kirkhill 2 is going to be - and this is only just over half of the length. Cripes!

I think Wellington road junction sounds better.

• RMweb Premium

, because I hadn't made allowances for my torsional stiffener, which has ended up beneath the board right where the point motors needed to be. 

There's no answer to that quote .......................... but plenty of innuendos  :jester:

• Like 1

More progress to report this week - being on holiday has helped somewhat!

Track-laying has been in progress on Boards 4, 5, 6 & 7. With the exception of the main line, it is complete on Boards 4 & 5 and nearly complete on Board 6. I reckon another decent day would do it, but that probably means several evenings in reality.

I've annotated the attached photos so you can see more easily how things are progressing and how it will all fit together:

View from Board 4 looking north towards Board 7. Trains will usually arrive onto the fuel point from the north, heading towards where this photo is taken from. There is also a single-lead access to/from the main line to the south.

30C15A71-04EA-48F8-9C24-947CFC83D2EB.jpeg.aabea969044b14136282416f825584e7.jpeg

View from Board 7 looking south towards Board 4.

AC9225C1-D6AB-49FE-B9F8-995FDA31D070_1_105_c.jpeg.3d584aa2c6b9326d04b73caa9b2eb8fe.jpeg

Looking in the opposite direction onto Board 7 showing the approximate position of the fuel tanker off-loading point, north access to the maintenance shed etc.

F0697E75-8B0F-4C1F-8119-8FD039F053D9.jpeg.544497421d7f4bad2a82c42173278974.jpeg

The new (and old) location of the wheel lathe. This will enable a headshunt beyond the lathe, allowing more than one vehicle in a rake to access it without the need for remarshalling.

F9FF67BF-B8A2-4D97-B60A-8ED5A277F846.jpeg.de1f0fa6c0bc1f07cb7b2a40f71b6ec0.jpeg

The new location of the maintenance shed, with the alterations which are necessary to make it fit the new location.

40149715-FE0F-4F55-A0F4-53F712CBE394.jpeg.2a8c8f5fc6113dfa7c848071d7fea94b.jpeg

I'm off to the garage to do another late shift and see if I can complete the track-laying on Board 6, or shall I cut the hole for that inspection pit.......?

Edited by Dunedin
  • Like 12

In the end, I added the maintenance shed inspection pit and a couple of lengths of track. The pit is held down with four fixing screws - one at each corner, so the plasticard floor needs to be glued back in place.

1096147406_AC9225C1-D6AB-49FE-B9F8-995FDA31D070_1_105_c2.jpeg.32cffe37a83c57587cbc81747150097a.jpeg

5CAA2D2E-8387-440E-85BF-561422868399.jpeg.708761073cd1f833f5518ac67892293a.jpeg

Edited by Dunedin
  • Like 11

• 2 weeks later...

Following a break for Easter, things have moved on again this week. Before the main lines could be laid, the undersides of the new extensions to Boards 4, 5 & 6 needed to be painted. This was done on Tuesday. The boards had to be split from each other and laid on their sides for the painting, so I made a start at wiring since I had access. I can't do everything until the mainlines are in, but I could make a start with the power feeds to the depot lines and install the point motors and wire them.

The photos below show progress during today.

Board 4 with feeds connected and point motor wiring in progress.

15C2E862-6807-4F88-B029-F4A85B5D4BEA_1_105_c.jpeg.16cb360e08ac331faa0099a469e88d3d.jpeg

Tag strip with feeds from panel to points on Boards 4 & 5. Nomenclature for wiring to Point 13 as an example. I don't colour-code the control wires; I number them, so Point 13 has two switching wires - 13N for the normal position and 13R for the reversed position. The common feed is not numbered, but this is the only wire on the layout that isn't. Each point is fitted with Peco motors and micro-switches. One set of switches is used for the frog polarity and the other will be used for points position detection on the panel. This won't be installed initially, but it's easier to put all the wiring in now. Point 13 detection wires are 113N and 113R for normal and reverse respectively. The common detection wire is simply notated as D. The coloured wires below the tag strip are the multiway jumper cable to the panel.

7BBCE498-7E01-48B7-8750-CEC58230932A.jpeg.68fc4e807c694fb31b36209bb53db589.jpeg

Tag strip for connection to jumper from Board 4 to Board 5 points. This view also shows a close-up of the DCC power bus and droppers connected to it. These are colour-coded because I only need two colours (although it turns out to be 3!). For each track, I use red as a dropper for the rail at the rear of the layout (from the public viewing side) and blue for rails towards the front. These are soldered onto the bottom of each rail before the track is laid, holes are drilled in the board, then the droppers are poked through as each length of track is laid. Every rail has its own dropper - the only thing the fishplates do is align the rails mechanically; they aren't needed for carrying current. This way, by the time I've ballasted and everything has been soaked in a corrosive solution of PVA, water and washing-up liquid, if a fishplate goes high resistance, it doesn't matter. The power bus under the board is twin & earth lighting cable with the outer sheathing and earth removed. I plan where the droppers will be so I can minimise the run of power bus, then the droppers are soldered to the bus: blue to blue and red to brown (hence the three colours).

AD1F4FA4-C488-4CA3-A981-4CB31097DC69.jpeg.c8e43533fc54059ef5d638391770f44b.jpeg

Semi-complete Board 4 - main lines and Point 13 to add.

36F18CA1-7A48-4271-B1F0-6BB0E682DE57.jpeg.59c81dc6162091069883fbee8cfee3f0.jpeg

Board 5: point motors installed (still to wire) and track droppers still to connect to DCC power bus. You can also see the yellow wires here from the point frogs. These run to the switches on the point motors.

6FAF07FA-0A4A-4040-A7AD-07105E120C91.jpeg.6099393faac4b83791968dd6d931e119.jpeg

Edited by Dunedin
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Just got Express magazine and had a good look at your layout in there . What a great depot layout like it a lot well done 

Many thanks for your comment. I picked up my copy this Tuesday and we are both very pleased with the photos and the layout of the article. It makes us realise that we made quite a good job of the depot at our first attempt but there should be no reason why Mk2 shouldn't be better. All the new reception roads are now in and the main lines have been laid on boards 4, 5, 6 and 7. Glenn is currently spraying the edges of the rail in sleeper grime and has started on the ballasting. He will probably post some more pictures once the ballasting is well under way.

In the meantime I will be constructing a 1.2ft long extension to the main shed.

Edited by Flood
  • Like 3

Many thanks for your comment. I picked up my copy this Tuesday and we are both very pleased with the photos and the layout of the article. It makes us realise that we made quite a good job of the depot at our first attempt but there should be no reason why Mk2 shouldn't be better. All the new reception roads are now in and the main lines have been laid on boards 4, 5, 6 and 7. Glenn is currently spraying the edges of the rail in sleeper grime and has started on the ballasting. He will probably post some more pictures once the ballasting is well under way.

In the meantime I will be constructing a 2.2ft long extension to the main shed.

Am very much looking forward to the second version and will keep an eye out for more great photos on here mate .