'Main line' company locos sold into industrial or light railway service

Captain Kernow

• RMweb Gold

With 'proper' industrial types now becoming available RTR, I'm interested to know what types of former 'main line' steam locos (ie. those built for and used by any of the pre-Grouping or 'Big 4' companies, or indeed BR) that were sold into industrial or light railway service.

Some are well-known, such as the ex-GW panniers sold to the NCB (57XX/8750,15XX) and London Underground (57XX).

There was at lease one ex-LMS 'Jinty' sold to the (?NCB?) British Oak Disposal Point at Crigglestone in the West Riding (No. 47445).

An ex-L&Y 'Pug' 0-4-0ST was soldto the Turner Paper Mill company at Rawcliffe Bridge, near Goole.

There were also the two ex-LBSC 'P' class 0-6-0Ts sold to James Hodson (Millers) Ltd at Robertsbridge (loco was named 'Pride of Sussex) and that sold to Bowaters and named 'Pioneer' (both now being produced by Hattons in the near future).

There was also an ex-LNER 0-6-0T (No. 1662) sold (via a dealer) to the steelworks at Cantley.

If the search was to be widened to diesels, then clearly there is a plethora of diesel shunters sold out of BR service, but I find the steam loco side of it particularly interesting.

There must have been many more examples, what do others know of, please?

• RMweb Gold

Morning Kc

One I can immediately think of is 813...port Talbot saddle tank, now on Severn Valley. Google Web site for further gen.

Then there's the issue of how long you define usage....for example Worcester's pet 16xx with spark arrestor chimney 1661 was used as yard shunter for a while... Don't know exactly how long....by the scrappie at Briton ferry

Cheers

Phil

• RMweb Gold

LSWR Class 0330 0-6-0ST, KESR, East Kent Light Railway, possibly others.

LSWR Class 282, "Ilfracombe Goods" 0-6-0, various Col. Stephens lines.

LSWR B4 0-4-0T, Corrall's Southampton, Industrial.

and (of course) LSWR Adams Radial tank, East Kent Light Railway. 

SECR 0-6-0s, Classes O and O1, East Kent Light Railway.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold

A few NER 964 class locos were sold off into industry, including to the Seaham Harbour company

https://transportsofdelight.smugmug.com/RAILWAYS/BRITISH-INDUSTRIAL-LOCOMOTIVES/INDUSTRIAL-DIESEL-AND-ELECTRIC/i-DpDSTCh

Edit: 9 NER class H (LNER Y7) were sold into industry as well

What a superb photo archive.

lest we forget the vast quantities of Hunslet 'austerities' that ended up in industrial use, as well as a number of panniers which ended up with the NCB

And if we are extending it to diesels:

-Class 17 sold to Ribble Cement

-Class 14 sold to various contractors and were used to build HS1 among other operations

-Class 20 still in industrial use today, also used to help construct HS1 

-Class 08 often used as yard shunters for industrial complexes

Would you believe another ex GWR pannier tank, No 1956, at Sutton Manor colliery St Helens. Built in 1888 at Wolverhampton

Photo & info on this fascinating site - scroll down a bit

http://www.suttonbeauty.org.uk/suttonhistory/suttonmanorcolliery2/

Also at the nearby Haydock collieries was this ex London Chatam & Dover Rly 0-6-0, built in 1879, bought from the Southern Railway in 1940

IMG_20171010_0027-M.jpg

Interesting stuff - I might find some more !!.

Brit15

Edited by APOLLO
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

This is the book you want: http://lightmoor.co.uk/books/mainline-to-industry/L9020

The GWR sold off numerous absorbed locomotives after the grouping, and the Metropolitan 4-4-0Ts are well known but a couple of the more intriguing are:

A Midland & South Western Junction mogul that went to the Cramlington Colliery Co

Four M&GNJR 4-4-0Ts that were sold to the government in WWI, some of which ended up in Scottish collieries.

• Informative/Useful 1

Ex-L&YR Pugs:

19 - J Mowlem Southampton, named Bassett, later (1933) United Glass, Charlton, name Prince

43 - Penmaenmawr Quarry, 1933, later (1940) Doughty Goole Ferilisers, Lincoln

75 - Cooke & Nuttall paper mill, Horwich 11936

226 - R Frazer & Son, London 1933, later (1934) Conway Stone Co.

399 - A.R. Adams 1934, later ICI Widnes, named Weston

402 - J.F. Wake, Darlington 1932

517 - J.F. Wake, Darlington 1934, then (Pawson Bros, named Hannah, the ROF, Chorley 1940

613 - Turner Paper Co., Goole 1934

614 - Holloway Bros 1937, various sites for contract work.

The private railway for the mental hospital at Longridge, Preston bought a LBSCR 0-4-2 tank.

Jinties sold to the the NCB numbered three, not one (I think 7383, preserved on the SVR, was one of them).

Edited by LMS2968

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

Some LB&SCR examples that I can think of:

Terriers:

No.36 Bramley sold to Pauling in 1902

No.39 Denmark sold to Pauling in 1902

No.43 Gipsyhill sold the the WC&PR in 1925

No.49 Bishopsgate sold to Pauling in 1902

No.52 Surrey sold to Pauling in 1902

No.57 Thames sold to Pauling in 1902

No.70 Poplar sold to K&ESR in 1901

No.71 Wapping sold to K&ESR in 1905

No.72 Fenchurch sold to Newhaven Harbour Co in 1913

No.73 Deptford sold to Edge Hill Light Railway in 1920

No.74 Shadwell sold to  Edge Hill Light Railway in 1920

Craven 0-6-0Ts No.228 & 229 sold to Alexandra Docks Railway in 1882

D1 No.357 Riddlesdown sold to the Whittingham Hospital Railway in 1947

E1 No.110 Burgundy sold to the Cannock & Rugeley Colliery in 1927

There were also the two ex-LBSC 'P' class 0-6-0Ts sold to James Hodson (Millers) Ltd at Robertsbridge (loco was named 'Pride of Sussex) and that sold to Bowaters and named 'Pioneer' (both now being produced by Hattons in the near future).

I think the "P" class were SE&CR not LB&SCR.

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I think the "P" class were SE&CR not LB&SCR.

Quite right, just testing!  :jester:

This is the book you want: http://lightmoor.co.uk/books/mainline-to-industry/L9020

The GWR sold off numerous absorbed locomotives after the grouping, and the Metropolitan 4-4-0Ts are well known but a couple of the more intriguing are:

A Midland & South Western Junction mogul that went to the Cramlington Colliery Co

Four M&GNJR 4-4-0Ts that were sold to the government in WWI, some of which ended up in Scottish collieries.

I shall have to find a copy of that, Andy, many thanks for the reference, looks very interesting.

I'm certainly expecting to find a reference to this J72, sold to the NCB in the early 1950s, which ended up at Camerton Colliery  ;) :

post-57-0-28490600-1509016058.jpg

Edited by Captain Kernow
  • Like 4

What about those companies that bought surplus 'mainline' or B.R. locomotives and then hired them out to industrial concerns ?

Probably the best known company was A.R. Adams of Newport.

Adams purchased several redundant B.R. Class 03 shunters, a brace of Class 04s and one or two Class 11 shunters which they hired out to such companies as (i) Alcan,Rogerstone (ii) Monsanto, Newport (iii) Thomas Owen, Ely Paper Mill (iv) the N.C.B.O.E. (v) the N.C.B.

Many of these carried their full BR former livery whilst owned by Adams and hired out.

Brian R

• RMweb Gold

A bit tenuous as not really in industrial service, this isn't my photo but shows a Jinty in Germany...

OKH-In 10, (presumably former) WD No. 8, photographed in RAW Tempelhof, West Berlin in October 1953. Apparently it had a brake overhaul on May 5th, 1944 at Cottbus

post-898-0-30474600-1509024655_thumb.jpg

I'll dig out my models later as I love ex-mainline locos in industrial service and am slowly collecting what I can.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

LSWR Class 0330 0-6-0ST, KESR, East Kent Light Railway, possibly others.

LSWR Class 282, "Ilfracombe Goods" 0-6-0, various Col. Stephens lines.

LSWR B4 0-4-0T, Corrall's Southampton, Industrial.

and (of course) LSWR Adams Radial tank, East Kent Light Railway. 

SECR 0-6-0s, Classes O and O1, East Kent Light Railway.

John

The Colonel Stephens Museum site has lots of good info on ex-mainline locos in light railway service.

TERRIERS

LNWR COAL ENGINES

ILFRACOMBE GOODS

(EDIT) and of course the B4s in industrial service on that amazing smugmug site(not my pic, click for direct link)

post-898-0-15047300-1509025041.png

Edited by Corbs
  • Like 2

A bit tenuous as not really in industrial service, this isn't my photo but shows a Jinty in Germany...

OKH-In 10, (presumably former) WD No. 8, photographed in RAW Tempelhof, West Berlin in October 1953. Apparently it had a brake overhaul on May 5th, 1944 at Cottbus

attachicon.gifThis one, OKH-In 10, (presumably former) WD No. 8, photographed in RAW Tempelhof, West Berlin in October 1953. Apparently it had a brake overhaul on May 5th, 1944 at Cottbus.jpg

I'll dig out my models later as I love ex-mainline locos in industrial service and am slowly collecting what I can.

I thought all five surviving WD Jinties were returned. Seems not.

Further info here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WD_ex-LMS_Fowler_Class_3F

Jason

Further to earlier post LNER J15 7690 from 1885 was sold to Bairds + Scottish Steel 6/38 and scrapped 12/58 

Also seen at Coltnesss Iron Works was ex Barry Railway 49 (GWR 712) acquired circa 3/33 

And the odd J69 was to be found at Faslane too 

• Like 1