Rapido LMS/GWR/BR Gunpowder Vans announced!

Garethp8873

• RMweb Premium

But from the photograph of their stand in their newsletter of last night, they have early EP prints at Warley! That photo wasn't a close up, so perhaps someone else managed to get somenting closer with their mobile phone?

John S

Ha! This is my first experience of the widespread phenomenon that is buying/starting a kit, only to have one of the RTR boys announce said item not two weeks later! I bought a Parkside GWR gunpowder van kit at the Hull show and now this has been dropped on me from a great height...

In all seriousness though, this is a good move, and a promising sign on more things to come?

The image can be seen on Facebook here, for those of you not in receipt of the Rapido newsletter. You may have to play a bit of Where's Wally - as I did - but if you can't be bothered for that sort of thing, then take a look to the bottom left of the right-hand perspex display cabinet.... They look like 3d printed stereo samples to me, and would love some additional images if any RMwebber in attendance would be so kind. 

Cheers, 

CoY

Edited by County of Yorkshire

• RMweb Gold

Ha! This is my first experience of the widespread phenomenon that is buying/starting a kit, only to have one of the RTR boys announce said item not two weeks later! I bought a Parkside GWR gunpowder van kit at the Hull show and now this has been dropped on me from a great height...

CoY

At least your parkside one is to a different diagram, (and is very different) I understand this is for the smaller sized diagram once produced by Hornby Dublo, so will look good together with the parkside one.

I have a half finished Dublo model to go with my finished parkside which will now be left in parts, while the transfers ( you get two sets on the Fox sheet) will probably end up on an iron mink conversion.

• RMweb Gold

What diagram is it, and what's the earliest building date?

D1665, 1929 1923 as far as I can make out.

Those were rated at 7 tons, the later 11-tonners (Dia.2093) seem to have been built from 1943.

Apologies for initial typo.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

Just took a quick snap...

O Lordy! Good job its an EP.

Panel spacing looks a bit suspect. Brakes pushrods are reversed and vac cylinders on the wrong side. What diagram is this supposed to be? Looks Like a mix of GWR & BR.  Oleos look good though.

I think those boys at Rapido are testing our observational skills and 10/10 for announcing this in November.

Yours appears to be the npowder variant

Correct. It's based on a GU drawing.

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 1

D1665, 1929 1923 as far as I can make out.

Those were rated at 7 tons, the later 11-tonners (Dia.2093) seem to have been built from 1943.

Apologies for initial typo.

John

Oh. More boring modern image stuff then :(. My bank account will be happy :).

• RMweb Gold

Snap!

attachicon.gifDapolGPVDetailing29-EditSm.jpg

Console youself in the fact that yours will be better, and probably a different digram.

Lets not bang on about it and rub saltpetre in our wounds. :smile_mini:

P

Ouch!

I intend to carry on with mine. After all, what else could I make out of the donor bodies?..........

John

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

O Lordy! Good job its an EP.

Panel spacing looks a bit suspect. Brakes pushrods are reversed and vac cylinders on the wrong side. What diagram is this supposed to be? Looks Like a mix of GWR & BR.  Oleos look good though.

I think those boys at Rapido are testing our observational skills and 10/10 for announcing this in November.

Correct. It's based on a GU drawing.

P

IIRC the panel spacing is one of the features that differentiate the various origins of these vans, so I hope they don't think they can do all of them with one bodyshell.

The pushrods are right if the photo is of the Morton clutch side, which I think it might be (all the milky bar stuff is a bit confusing, especially as not all of it is straight) but you are definitely right about the vac cylinder. Mind you, a lot of (if not most) gunpowder vans were built unfitted and with independent brakes. The Oleos and the AVB both hint at a wagon built or rebuilt by BR so there is hope.

I certainly hope Rapido haven't been learning about Morton brakes by looking at Bachmann wagons, because most of them are wrong........

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

This thing could also replace the Triang exploding car by using gunpowder triggered by DCC control.

"Rapido's most realistic exploding RTR van to date. Can be used once but we will ensure continuous supply.. We gaurantee this model is in perfect condition until it explodes."

• Like 1

The pushrods are right if the photo is of the Morton clutch side,

You're right. Now I'm on my big puter I can see the Morton Clutch. Unless it a badly aligned lever.

Looking at the W Irons and stanchion to solebar fixing It looks like it could be GWR  Diagram Z4 on a N30 underframe with the BR retrofit stuff or one or the example built by the big four.

The outer panel looks to be wider than the inner, (Never happened as far as I know) but that may be a trick of the light. The other way round, yes, like the last BR builds as in my pic above.

Best wait for a better quality image before we start speculating (Frothing)

Deffo neither of these two:

9875964913_4f631b3dbd_h.jpgBR Gunpowder Van B887126 by Bill Johnston, on Flickr

https://flic.kr/p/dc981J

I assume rapido know that some vans in preservation don't reside on their original u/frames. There's so much info beie published on these vans down the years I'd be surprised if they got the final edit wrong.

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 2

If my experience with the production and delivery of Rapido North American prototype freight cars (see Northern Pacific wood box car) is any indication, it will be and extended wait for these to appear.