N gauge Crowdfunded APT-P (Warley announcement)

DJM Dave

• RMweb Premium

I can well imagine!  Apologies if I'm a bit late to the party and you already have done, but have you thought about writing a magazine article(s) yourself with your memories and insight into the APT?  I'm sure there would be lots of interest if you haven't already.  (And if you have, where can we find them?!)

I can well imagine!  Apologies if I'm a bit late to the party and you already have done, but have you thought about writing a magazine article(s) yourself with your memories and insight into the APT?  I'm sure there would be lots of interest if you haven't already.  (And if you have, where can we find them?!)

I sort of have already, but not for 'general circulation'.

I wrote the first chunk of the book that came with the Rapido APT-E model, and an extended version of that is being serialised in the DEMU Updates, the first part of which is due out before much longer.

• RMweb Premium

15 feet for the OO one sounds a bit long to me, a Mk4 is around a foot long, APT vehicles are shorter.  Assuming 15 feet in OO though, that would be around 7.5 feet in N for a full 14 car set.  For the sake of easy maths, lets say 7 feet, which would mean each coach would be around 6 inches long.  10 coaches at 6 inches is 60 inches, or 5 feet  :good:

Ok, that's a very simple generalisation, and I know some vehicles are different lengths, but I'd say that in N a 10 coach train would fit.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

15 feet for the OO one sounds a bit long to me, a Mk4 is around a foot long, APT vehicles are shorter. Assuming 15 feet in OO though, that would be around 7.5 feet in N for a full 14 car set. For the sake of easy maths, lets say 7 feet, which would mean each coach would be around 6 inches long. 10 coaches at 6 inches is 60 inches, or 5 feet :good:

Ok, that's a very simple generalisation, and I know some vehicles are different lengths, but I'd say that in N a 10 coach train would fit.

I work put the 00 version at just over 12.5 feet.

Roy

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hmm, that would be too long. Need more data. Are the prototype measurements out there?

But that's the 14 car OO version, so half that for an N version, around 6.25 feet, minus 4 coaches, still well under 6 feet.

• RMweb Gold

Hmm, that would be too long. Need more data. Are the prototype measurements out there?

Take a look at: https://web.archive.org/web/20080821122335/http://www.therailwaycentre.com/Recognition%20Tech%20Data%20EMU/EMU_370.html

Was all I could find.

Edit: Note that the figures quoted are for a half set (7 coaches).

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Just looking at the diagrams found by clicking the individual vehicle types in Rob's link, I wondered (I know, I need to get a life!) why the TU has 2 aisle seats missing in the centre?  The layout is similar to a TF but with those two and a further 2 end seats missing - the end two replaced with a space marked what looks like "Waster Point", whatever one of those might be...?

Whilst on the subject of seating layouts here is something that has been puzzling me for a while now - what is the meaning of the colours of the seats in the diagram attached (first, second, smoking / non, facing etc I tried them all)

Thanks in advance

Rob

post-1305-0-46152700-1513088720_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hmmm, interesting, the first thing that comes to mind is something to do with groups if it's a demonstration run, maybe allocated seating for certain groups/organisations.  That said, the date/time slot at the bottom suggest it was a regular (or at least on more than one occasion) occurrence.  Something else to do with seat reservations, staff guidance on the order that seats should be reserved maybe?  Red ones first, then yellow, etc...?  Seems a bit of a stretch though.  

Maybe it was an early diagram of the colours of tartan to be used on each seat  :O  :jester:

Could they be seats in the allocation of a particular reservation office i.e Glasgow Central, London Euston, and intermediate calling points? Say red for Glasgow, blue for Euston,etc. Remember that there was not a computerised reservation system so each reservation office needed specific seats to reserve. When the allocation was all used, it needed a phone call or teleprinter message to get seats released from another office’s allocation. Just a thought.

Edited by mikeharvey22

• RMweb Premium

Even weirder is that it's not symmetrical, most of the colour codes in one set are different to the matching vehicles in the other set.  :O

In the main they are symmetrical, in that the blocks of colours are the same working in from each end, apart from the red in coaches G and H mirrors the yellow in E and F, and some of the solid colours in one set are mirrored by blue/white or green/white on the other (eg seats 17-20 in the driving cars).

• RMweb Premium

I think we're saying the same thing in different ways!  Say it is to do with reservations, I wondered if all the green zone seats for example are for one group/booking office, but the green and white ones are maybe "maybe's" or "priorities", "use first/last", "might not be needed" if its a group booking plan or something.  

More evidence that it is something to do with the allocation of seats comes from the fact that the sheet appears in the 'Boarding Pass Kiosk' in the BTF's Round Trip to Glasgow film.

See still here -

http://www.apt-p.com/APTPBoardingPass.htm

I have attached it too as my website seems to be offline again :-(

Rob

post-1305-0-43632200-1513152974.jpg

Edited by aptp

I think we're saying the same thing in different ways!  Say it is to do with reservations, I wondered if all the green zone seats for example are for one group/booking office, but the green and white ones are maybe "maybe's" or "priorities", "use first/last", "might not be needed" if its a group booking plan or something.  

I think that the hatched blue and green ones are just another colour code. Easier than having say a pale blue or a pale green which could be less easy to discern in platform kiosk with 1970s tungsten lighting.  Though I am not sure of the relevance of kiosk staff needing to know who was booked from where. Anyway maybe Glasgow = green, Motherwell = hatched green, and so on.  When I worked with these charts on simpler trains they were copied black and white sheets coloured in with a crayon to show our allocation and marked with a large X for a seat booked from our allocation.