Al's 7mm Modern Image Work Bench

D6775

• RMweb Premium

Starting to come together now. I decided today that I was as happy as I am going to be with the blue so it was time to take the masking tape off! Considering this is my first proper foray into 7mm and my first full blow loco re-paint I am pretty happy how this has turned out so far. Some bits have bled in places but I should be able to tidy them up without too much bother. Its actually come out better than I expected

Looks pretty good to me! Pleasing when it goes well but for me spraying is by far the least enjoyable part of modelling.

Looks pretty good to me! Pleasing when it goes well but for me spraying is by far the least enjoyable part of modelling.

I've been very nervous about doing this but it is coming along OK, all be it slowly!

Though it seems I am talking to myself most of the time, seeing the view counter going up is helping to keep my motivation! I will finish this project in the coming weeks (maybe months?)

This mornings progress has included re-fitting the fuel tanks & the air tanks. I've also been painting the cab bulk heads and modifying the Heljan ploughs ready for paint. I hope to have the buffer beams back together by the end of the weeknd baring air brake pipes which I need to order, the Heljan model only having buffer beam pipework suitable for a vac brake/steam heat loco. Still a bit to go but starting to come together!

39301429230_c319e3a13c_b.jpgHeljan O Gauge 26 by endoftheroad, on Flickr

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Well I’m reading and enjoying this thread and seeing others have a gives me the impetus to start those bits I’ve been putting off!

I find progress goes in bursts. I’ll get impatient to finish something sometimes so not unknown to mess up a finish by not leaving it alone long enough. Will be going back to my 33 shortly but I suspect reworking the fuel tanks could be a long job!

Edited by Hal Nail

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Well, not much progress to report, have been lacking motivation and still waiting on transfers for the 26. However a little progress yesterday with something else. I couldn't very well just have the 26 so after an opportunity to acquire a Heljan MK1 for a reasonable price I have been keeping my eye out for a couple more. Yesterday I spent some time numbering and branding them:

28552926657_dc9336f772_b.jpgHeljan MK1s by endoftheroad, on Flickr

41614700060_14e9feb56f_b.jpgHeljan MK1s by endoftheroad, on Flickr

28552926087_382de1ccc2_b.jpgHeljan MK1s by endoftheroad, on Flickr

41614699770_30aaed3241_b.jpgHeljan MK1s by endoftheroad, on Flickr

28552925667_7a7d79b6d9_b.jpgHeljan MK1s by endoftheroad, on Flickr

They've now gone to a friend for some dirt.

I other news I picked up another 26 body which is in the process of getting stripped.

42706540594_85190146b0_b.jpgHeljan O Gauge 26 by endoftheroad, on Flickr

28552927257_703bae7a99_b.jpgHeljan O Gauge 26 by endoftheroad, on Flickr

That all for now, hopefully this will give me  some more motivation.

Al.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so I have really caught the 7mm bug now! Time for the next project, there are a couple of other bits in the pipeline but more on them later. I finally resisted and bought a Heljan 37 as it was at a reasonable price.

43628675722_25ba7aa575_b.jpgHeljan Class 37 by endoftheroad, on Flickr

Out of the box the Heljan 37 looks to be a pretty good representation to me, it looks like a 37, the glaring issues for me are the bodyside windows which are far too low, the headcode panel & buffer beam skirts (very few survived beyond blue with glass panels or skirts, in fact only 116 & 183 made it out of blue with skirts). there are also some livery issues but as this will get stripped I can ignore them. Now without filling and re-cutting the windows I'll mask this with the choice of livery, the skirts can be removed and a new bufferbeam fabricated

42958825694_3a34d29395_b.jpgHeljan Class 37 by endoftheroad, on Flickr

The body is now stripped down to its component parts and I have cut back and filled the skirts off, it doesn't look too bad and will get tidied up again once its stripped of paint and new beading added around the edge. Even at this stage with the skirts and glass panel removed it looks so much better.

Next to the stripping bath. Progress will likely be slow on this as there is a house move in progress!

Edited by D6775
  • Like 2

Small update this weekend, progress is slow as we're in the throws of a house move, but a little modelling is still being done!

The body is now pretty much fully stripped (there are a couple of bits to go over) I have added microstrip to the other end, filed off the raised detail around the boiler filler hatch, filled the boiler steps and filler hatch. Also placed an order with PHD for some additional bits for the center panel and roof blanks etc.

Transfers for the numbers and data panels are already here so I just need some blue stars and warning flashes, pretty sure I have also go the right paints tucked away. Now I need to get hold of some nameplates!

43148090554_7b07a8fed4_b.jpgHeljan Class 37 by endoftheroad, on Flickr

That's all for now,

Al.

• 3 weeks later...

Well 99% 0f the house move is done and some modelling progress sis being made (and will hopefully continue to be made!). Transfer form Steve at Railtec are also here and so it was back to the 26 this morning. Transfer added and ready for a coat of Satin Varnish before weathering.

44251175431_eb07096aa0_b.jpgHeljan O Gauge 26 by endoftheroad, on Flickr

43534004264_d4790743d4_b.jpgHeljan O Gauge 26 by endoftheroad, on Flickr

Jobs still to do:

Door Handles to make & fit.

Cab internals to finish painting, Including drivers.

NRN pods to put together & paint.

Sound chip to fit.

Weathering.

I think that's it!!

• Like 5

Not a lot of progress this week, but I have been tinkering with a set of Skytrex station buildings I bought some time ago for a project. Said project may be moving up the priorities as its likely to be built in small sections which will fit in my office!

Main station building is complete , still some filling and filing to do before painting but its starting to look the part.

44386337711_faecbb7e85_b.jpgUntitled by endoftheroad, on Flickr

Impatient as ever I wanted to see what it would look like painted, so I decided to sort out the shed & toilets:

43668977894_a13fc7f5e6_b.jpgUntitled by endoftheroad, on Flickr

I'm actually quite please with how these have turned out, boards around the bottom added, Halfords Red Oxide primer for the roof and some very old (probably not been opened for nearly 20 years) Humbrol paints resurrected with thinners for the brown and cream. Some tidying up to do but they look how I wanted!

• Like 1

Saturday morning update. I have made a start on the next project this week. With the 26 almost done (weathering and a few odds and sods left) and the 37 nearly ready for paint, I've dug out an Easybuild 101 i bought earlier in the year for a 'Summer Project', well it'll now be a winter project. So far I have got four sides prepped and together, the roof isn't stuck down as this needs some further work, just placed to ensure the sides are square.

43638075295_8168f4f314_k.jpgUntitled by endoftheroad, on Flickr

Edited by D6775
  • Like 1

Saturday morning update. I have made a start on the next project this week. With the 26 almost done (weathering and a few odds and sods left) and the 37 nearly ready for paint, I've dug out an Easybuild 101 i bought earlier in the year for a 'Summer Project', well it'll now be a winter project. So far I have got four sides prepped and together, the roof isn't stuck down as this needs some further work, just placed to ensure the sides are square.

43638075295_8168f4f314_k.jpgUntitled by endoftheroad, on Flickr

Al,

That roof does sit very proud in the top centre doesn't it? From your other models, I assume you'll be doing a refurbished set?

In my experience you have two choices:

Sand down the bottom edges of the roof and redo the rain strip with plastic section (you have to fabricate some above the cab doors anyway). The drawback is that you also lose the inside step that gives a good square seating on the side, leaving a butt joint.

Option two involves reducing the thickness at the apex of the roof by sanding. This involves a lot of extra mind numbing sanding of course!

The only other option I very briefly considered was to obtain some sheet brass and bend a new roof.

It's a real issue caused primarily by the unique shallow roof profile of the Met Camm group of units.

Great start, all the best of luck with it.

Yep, refurbed set is the plan. I'm pretty sure I am going to give the filing of the roof down with a drainpipe and coarse sandpaper route a try!

I am also not happy with the way the bodysides and the cab go together, if I match the top and bottom of the bodyside with the cab, the bodyside seems to bow out, but if I match the center of the bodyside the bottom of the side and the top of the cab door are sunk in. The blunt end goes together perfectly so I don't think the sides are bowed. I'll have a proper look in daylight tomorrow but I might putt the other body together and see how that looks.

Yep, refurbed set is the plan. I'm pretty sure I am going to give the filing of the roof down with a drainpipe and coarse sandpaper route a try!

I am also not happy with the way the bodysides and the cab go together, if I match the top and bottom of the bodyside with the cab, the bodyside seems to bow out, but if I match the center of the bodyside the bottom of the side and the top of the cab door are sunk in. The blunt end goes together perfectly so I don't think the sides are bowed. I'll have a proper look in daylight tomorrow but I might putt the other body together and see how that looks.

It's not a snug fit between the side and cab but I concluded that maybe by design as the seam represents a door/body interface. If not by design, the effect I found to be fortuitous to representing such. I maybe worth considering whether the roof panel etch is applied prior to fixing the roof to the body too. You'll certainly need numerous clamps to hold it all together.

This weeks progress report. Not a massive amount done, but if I can manage to do a few bits each week things get moved on. I have to say I am really enjoying mucking baout in O gauge, something I have lacked considerably in 4mm scale for some considerable time!

37 body has had a step filled (I missed it first time round!) and is now Primed and away for its top coats. Bufferbeams have been built up and re-fitted. This weekend/next week will hopefully involve sound fitting and bogie mods with any luck, nameplates are on order so this shouldn't take too long to finish now.

29724161527_102ce00d8a_b.jpgHeljan Class 37 by endoftheroad, on Flickr

44661955051_dd5ba20741_b.jpgHeljan Class 37 by endoftheroad, on Flickr

29752835107_c9b46b631d_b.jpgHeljan Class 37 by endoftheroad, on Flickr

Back to the 101. I wasn't happy with the fit of the cab so this got removed and re-fitted. I know its not much but to my eye it looks a lot better and won't take too much to blend in now.

29724161577_40ba75d0e1_b.jpgEasybuild 101 DMU by endoftheroad, on Flickr

Thats all for now.

Al.

• Like 1

Well its Saturday again! Not the best of weeks very much lacking in motivation at the moment. However, Cameron has been ploughing on painting the 37 body for me and I've built the basic body of the 101 DTCL (now I have both roofs to sort!) and the three trailing bogies, still a lot of work to do but getting there slowly.

44045308374_5da5ba74cf_b.jpgHeljan Class 37 by endoftheroad, on Flickr

30893313898_5821df5360_b.jpgEasybuild 101 DMU by endoftheroad, on Flickr

44106257354_3f5855e775_b.jpgEasybuild 101 DMU by endoftheroad, on Flickr

The yesterday I turned my hand to adding pickups on these bogies, one for the motor and the other two simply to provide lights in the DTCL. This was my first attempt with some scrap brass, however was far too stiff so has been ditched. This morning I have decided to use som wire rather than brass, this is probably not perfect, but with 8 wheel pickup in each vehicle I hope i'll get away with it!

43915807775_e11e80f4ec_b.jpgEasybuild 101 DMU by endoftheroad, on Flickr

Hopefully have some time (and maybe progress) over the weekend!

Al.

• Like 1

A Slight deviation this morning. Back in April I started scratch building a signal box for a friends layout, I have been meaning to get back to it for some time, well this morning I have doen a bit.

This is how it looked in April:

40920088514_183a0408bd_b.jpgO Gauge Signal Box by endoftheroad, on Flickr

40920088514_183a0408bd_b.jpgO Gauge Signal Box by endoftheroad, on Flickr

This morning I have finished the brick work and capped the steps. Hopefully get the roof on later then it will be windows!

43046732870_7e4d727e31_b.jpgO Gauge Signal Box by endoftheroad, on Flickr

Its not going to be the most acurate and fantastic build in the world, but hopefully it will look the part.

• Like 1

This morning I have finished the brick work and capped the steps. Hopefully get the roof on later then it will be windows!

43046732870_7e4d727e31_b.jpgO Gauge Signal Box by endoftheroad, on Flickr

Its not going to be the most acurate and fantastic build in the world, but hopefully it will look the part.

That looks nice. Is that foam card or plasticard you used?

Dougal