Minix (and other) car improvements

quicksilvercoaches

I remember seeing one of those Friary conversions near Huntingdon in the mid-1970s, I didn't get a chance to have a good look at it, but assumed that it was a home-made job. This is the first time I've seen any reference to them, so thank you for that. Strange that Friary did the conversion - I always associate them with Vauxhall, and Fords with Farnham for their conversions.

• Like 1

The 'Italian Job' looks like the result of a mad mating session involving an Anglia, HA Viva and a Fiat 850, with a touch of early sixties Oriental influence thrown in. Having said that, it's quite an attractive thing, and more modern=looking than  the Anglia.

• Agree 2

• 3 months later...

I've been tinkering with a few things recently. Chucked some paint over the Kentoys Merc and I think it looks quite decent now - better than Cararama's crude oversized effort anyway. The wheels are the right style but stick out too far so I've shortened the axles but otherwise it's just a paint job.

R461AKR.jpg.7f6d7c71adcd5aebef9ed5290abe0aab.jpg

Then I went to the market just before lockdown and the chap with the collectables stall had an abundance of Kentoys he'd acquired from somewhere. Loads of Delicas, pickups and Landcruisers but also the lesser-spotted BMW. This must be quite rare as there isn't much reference to it online. A pretty good representation of an E36 3-series but the grille is missing its centre bar and there are a couple of weird lumps on the bootlid that shouldn't be there, probably just enough change to avoid a licensing fee. Given the same treatment as the Merc it should scrub up well.

BMW_3series_Kentoys.jpg.27056cb926ae7876f7b194c3ad8e2e34.jpg

BMW_3series_Kentoys_1.jpg.d648fe69e09b11e0a97d86134c828569.jpg

• Like 2

On 07/07/2020 at 22:38, BernardTPM said:

In the cars there was one Matchbox:

No.65 (a) Jaguar 2.4 Mk.I (1955-59)

but four Husky:

No.2 (a) Citroen DS Safari (1959-67)

No.3 (a) Mercedes 220S (1959-65)

No.5 (a) Lancia Flaminia (1957-70)

No.23 (a) Ford Zephyr 6 estate Mk.III (1962-66)

The last is the right length, though a little wide.

I now have all four of the 1/76 Husky cars with the purchase of this Mercedes. Also from the market, it's a bit battered but only cost a pound and has the opening bootlid still intact so it's a good candidate for restoration.

Husky_Mercedes.jpg.1945757929d013cf03b7d96f6777489e.jpg

• Like 3

Here's an alternative Mercedes-Benz, the 220SE coupe 1959-65 by Best Box of Holland. Also known as EFSI, there was a fair-sized range of these 1960s toys. This one scales up exactly to 1/76 scale in length, width and wheelbase, although I do not know how many of the range also measured up - the Model T Fords and the Formula One cars were certainly larger. The range  also had a Ford Transit  which was 1/76, and an Opel Rekord, VW 1600, Ford Taunus, Jaguar E Type and others which may have conformed. With prices on Ebay ranging from £35 upwards, I'm not about to buy any to find out - this one cost me £1 on a second-hand market, and is just missing its bonnet mascot.

DSCN4996.JPG

DSCN4997.JPG

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, fodenway said:

It would have to be someone else's display cabinet at that price !

It would cost more than most display cabinets! 
Having said that it’s horses for courses. I’m sure a diecast collector would snap it up whilst turning down a mint Wrenn locomotive at the same price.

• Agree 1

40 minutes ago, fodenway said:

Here's an alternative Mercedes-Benz, the 220SE coupe 1959-65 by Best Box of Holland. Also known as EFSI, there was a fair-sized range of these 1960s toys. This one scales up exactly to 1/76 scale in length, width and wheelbase, although I do not know how many of the range also measured up - the Model T Fords and the Formula One cars were certainly larger. The range  also had a Ford Transit  which was 1/76, and an Opel Rekord, VW 1600, Ford Taunus, Jaguar E Type and others which may have conformed. With prices on Ebay ranging from £35 upwards, I'm not about to buy any to find out - this one cost me £1 on a second-hand market, and is just missing its bonnet mascot.

DSCN4996.JPG

DSCN4997.JPG

How does the Lesney Mercedes scale up as it is very similar to the above? I’d guess about 1/72 not having one to hand.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, quicksilvercoaches said:

I've been tinkering with a few things recently. Chucked some paint over the Kentoys Merc and I think it looks quite decent now - better than Cararama's crude oversized effort anyway. The wheels are the right style but stick out too far so I've shortened the axles but otherwise it's just a paint job.

R461AKR.jpg.7f6d7c71adcd5aebef9ed5290abe0aab.jpg

Then I went to the market just before lockdown and the chap with the collectables stall had an abundance of Kentoys he'd acquired from somewhere. Loads of Delicas, pickups and Landcruisers but also the lesser-spotted BMW. This must be quite rare as there isn't much reference to it online. A pretty good representation of an E36 3-series but the grille is missing its centre bar and there are a couple of weird lumps on the bootlid that shouldn't be there, probably just enough change to avoid a licensing fee. Given the same treatment as the Merc it should scrub up well.

BMW_3series_Kentoys.jpg.27056cb926ae7876f7b194c3ad8e2e34.jpg

BMW_3series_Kentoys_1.jpg.d648fe69e09b11e0a97d86134c828569.jpg

As someone who wasted a lot of money on one of these and subsequent BMWs in my youth I can advise that the single grille was a recognised modification on BMWs at that time.

Also the trend of fitting lookalike Lexus lights to the rear. One of the requirements when doing so was to fit two circular reflectors (nasty stick on items) right where the bulbous protrusions are on that model to meet regulations. None of us did as they were awful! I cannot find a picture of that for the same reason! 

Nevertheless it justifies the appearance of the car should you decide not to attack it with the file!  

9260C0E1-9D17-4F84-9BF4-6D6CF2EB0307.jpeg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, ianmacc said:

How does the Lesney Mercedes scale up as it is very similar to the above? I’d guess about 1/72 not having one to hand.

4 hours ago, fodenway said:

Not sure of the exact scale (not having one), but certainly noticeably larger than 1/76.

Lesney quote 1/68 but like many Lesney models that can be taken with a pinch of salt.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 2 months later...

Here's a couple I ought to finish:

MinixMinx.jpg.902324a8f2ebc5c923ef7b1b968e50de.jpg

The MINIX Minx has it's original wheels reset at the correct track, though they might be replaced in the end. The seats are cast metal from one of my early kits. The colour is Willow Green. The Viva is my Cartkit-4 68V34 HB  Viva SL 4 door, in Peacock Blue.

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Premium

Those Minix models come up a treat. In my stash of broken models I have the Minix caravan, unfortunately the tow hook is broken. I am looking into the possibility of using parts from the Cararama 'tear drop' caravan and wheels from the Cararama Mini.

20 hours ago, BernardTPM said:

Here's a couple I ought to finish:

MinixMinx.jpg.902324a8f2ebc5c923ef7b1b968e50de.jpg

The MINIX Minx has it's original wheels reset at the correct track, though they might be replaced in the end. The seats are cast metal from one of my early kits. The colour is Willow Green. The Viva is my Cartkit-4 68V34 HB  Viva SL 4 door, in Peacock Blue.

How do you glaze your vehicles?

Thanks

steve

Edited by steve1
  • Like 2

Generally front and rear screens are from fizzy drink bottles, the domed ends are particularly good for this, though usually from the larger sizes. For side glazing I usually used some thin polycarbonate sheet I had, though I've lost that now and not been able to find the really thin stuff anymore. The Mk3 Cavalier here was done with the fizzy drink bottle material all round:

Cavalier.jpg.1596b48dd316f6b8bf59b763b2eb730d.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1