About what?! The shapeways price is actually twice the price of i.materialise who I'm using to get prints done! I am pleased with the model though. At some stage I'll get the drummond chimney and dome versions done.

Just your cleverness with all this new fangled stuff. Very interesting to see it in progress.

Ah! I see! More progress below. Most of it will be covered in support material when it comes out, but I'll post pictures anyway.

post-33498-0-49071700-1519300120_thumb.jpg

Chassis and footplate now completed. The buffers appear to have printed undersize, probably because this printer is too basic to print the heads.

Edited by sem34090
  • Like 1

I had the opposite experience with iMaterialise, as they initially quoted about the same as Shapeways for my diesel shunter project, but once delivery and VAT were added, Shapeways was about £10 cheaper (without the iMaterialise student discount which I couldn't be bothered to set up - even so, it would have been £7 more expensive). I guess their pricing structure is different, still odd though.

Correct!

Plus the splashers, clack valves (?), most of the detailing and the bunker rear, but yes the whistle is missing!

Coats are to be left on the stand situated to the right hand side of the door to your (padded) cell...

• RMweb Gold

Going back to the G6, T3 and A12, I'm still trying to work out which chassis to use for my initial test sample, not necessarily for the final product.

For the G6 I have:

NER Class E1 0-6-0T (Mainline)

GWR Class 2251 0-6-0 (Mainline)

GWR Class 5700 0-6-0PT (Bachmann)

LBSCR Class A1 0-6-0T (Hornby)

SECR Class R1 0-6-0T (Dublo)

LMS Class 3F 0-6-0T (Triang & Hornby)

LMS Claas 3F 0-6-0T (Bachmann)

Hunslet 'Austerity' 0-6-0ST

0-6-0T (Electrotren)

T3:

SR Class L1 4-4-0 (Triang)

LSWR Class M7 0-4-4 (Triang & Hornby)

A12:

GWR Class 4800 0-4-2T (Airfix & Dapol)

LSWR Class M7 0-4-4T (Triang)

SR Class L1 4-4-0 (Triang)

I know we've been here before, but I need to sort this somewhat rather urgently. I know that sounds strange, but trust me: it's urgent! TgThe above are the only chassis I can currently access, so other (more appropriate) chassis are a no-go.

If anyone feels they desperately need to know why it's urgent, please PM me.

For the LSWR T3.. how about the Bachmann Compound 4-4-0 chassis... they are quite cheap to source and good runners, it’s out 5” in wheel diameter, but better than the other options listed. Just unscrew the cylinders and remove the extra rod.

The Cylinders are, I assume, in the wrong place for a T3? 

Which gives me a second thought: I can design the loco body for the Bachmann Chassis maybe in such a way as to accommodate that or the Hornby loco drive chassis, then design two tenders: one to scale (for use with a scale - 3D Printed - or Bachmann chassis) and one to fit the Hornby tender drive unit, That would essentially give three levels of realism: Hornby RTR compromise (For slimmer budgets and those less concerned about scale tenders), Bachmann RTR compromise (To the less chassis-building confident!) and with a scale chassis for those who feel able to build it.

Thanks for the idea though!

On another note, it appears that the Bachmann LMS 3F 0-6-0T is a good fit in the G6, so although not strictly to scale I will offer a second, modified, body to fit this chassis.

Well, on imaterialise the G6, with chassis, works out at £20.09. Shapeways has it at around £30, so I will probably sell them for £40 on shapeways, which isn't too bad. If not I will sell through imaterialise and shapeways, the latter being more convenient and offering more materials, the former being cheaper.

With the G6 now more or less complete until I can order it and get a decent print in my hand, my thoughts have turned to the T3...

post-33498-0-69126700-1519416736_thumb.png

Now I will be doing a chassis for it, but can anyone suggest anything regarding the Hornby MR Compound (Both Tender and Loco drive versions) and the Bachmann LMS Compound? Particularly if a Hornby, or any other, tender drive unit will fit in the tender of the T3.

• Like 2

The T3 had a comparatively small boiler, and smokebox, so it may be difficult to get any rtr chassis inside - shades of the problems that Bachmann had in the early days with the development of the model 'N' class. You might have to make your own chassis with a 12 series ( or smaller) motor, have a word with High-Level Kits.

Edited by bike2steam

The Adams Chassis was considered, but the compound is only a few inches out on wheel diameter.

Hornby tender drive may be the way forward.

Actually how about the 2P?

I will be doing a scale chassis regardless, but I know some people (myself included) are incompetent when it comes to building chassis or simply don't want to, so offering both options can't be a bad thing.

Edited by sem34090

Yep, both tenders were 6'6"+6'6" wheelbase, but the Adams tender was lower, and only built to take a 3 ton load, whereas the Fowler tender was 5&1/2 ton. If I remember rightly the moulded coal load, on the tender drive model, was raised to cover the top of the tender drive. Good luck, hope you succeed, watching with interest. :sungum: 

The tender chassis also has a similar look on both. I was intending to make a few tender versions, a complete one (for use with any loco chassis that the purchaser uses) one for the tender drive compound (Maybe with altered proportions) and one for the Railroad loco drive model (Not the current black edition). I will probably do an (incorrect in many ways) one for the current railroad edition simply because, at £45 on Hattons, it is cheaper than the previous versions.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Sem, could your G6 and chassis kit be readily enlarged to 7mm scale?  I'm just curious as I'm looking at ways to get myself a G6 without injuring myself trying to build one.  I'd most probably need the front splashers to be twice the width as well to allow for coarse scale wheels.  No big rush or anything if it is possible as I'd need to save up my pocket money to buy it.

• Like 1

When uploaded to shapeways it will be available in Gauges/Scales:

3 (Maybe...), 1, O, S, OO, HO, TT(1:101), TT (1:120), 2mmFS (1:144?) and N (1:148)

So the short answer is 'Yes', however I will require further information regarding Coarse Scale standards.

One of the major advantages of 3D printing is the fact that it takes only seconds to scale a model from one scale to the next.

• RMweb Premium

That's very good news about your intentions regarding the scale of your models Sem  G1dDhSj.png

If I may steal the chart from Kevin's thread these are the common wheel standards for 'O' gauge.  I would be looking at the old Greenly coarse standards myself because I use tinplate track. and recycled Hornby 'O' gauge wheels.

post-26817-0-28277300-1517954736_thumb.j