How much different is a T1 from an O2?

Ooooooo a 'T1'.  Nice.  G1dDhSj.png

It's plainly enough from the same family as the 'G6'  so I would guess that the differences would be slight.

S4rxHRd.jpg

T1, the first Adams 0-4-4T for the South Western. His thinking was that it was not possible to produce a larger, more powerful version of the 415 Class radial 4-4-2T without causing unsteadiness at speed, so the 0-4-4 T1 was the next generation of suburban tanks.  Deliveries commenced in 1888 and a total of 50 were built through to 1896, the last few, thus, under Drummond.

Coupled wheels: 5'7"

Bogie wheels: 3'

W/B: 8' + 10' + 5'

Like the Radials before them, they tended to migrate to the Sticks when more powerful types emerged, in the case of the T1 this being Drummond's M7 (of 1897), so the Edwardian period sees them at various depots, Nine Elms, Strawberry Hill, Basingstoke, Guildford, Eastleigh, Bournemouth, Salisbury, Exmouth Junction, Plymouth and Fratton.

My particular interest is the fact that there were a stalwart of the Barnstaple-Ilfracombe line.

O2s followed in 1889, designed as a smaller version, specifically for light suburban and branch line operation.

Coupled wheels: 4'10"

Bogie wheels: 3'

W/B: 6'10" + 8'6" + 5'

A small kit making company called 'Craftsman', that has changed ownership a few times, used to make a kit for the T1, and pretty good it was too, I used to have one before I changed from Southern. The only thing against it being the full size version went into oblivion by 1951, so demand for another could be a bit limited.

Edited by bike2steam

A small kit making company called 'Craftsman', that has changed ownership a few times, used to make a kit for the T1, and pretty good it was too, I used to have one before I changed from Southern. The only thing against it being the full size version went into oblivion by 1951, so demand for another could be a bit limited.

Yes, I see them on Bay of Fleas every so often, but have never yet been able to afford one!

Well, the 5' 2'' of the 1400 is permissible for either, given the model was intended as a G6. They are slightly closer to the O2 though.

Your nearest RTR chasses (to a T1) would be an M7, as these had 5'7" drivers at 7'6" centres, or a Radial, with 5'7" drivers at 8'6" centres.

Either way, you're 2mms out on the w/b.

The 4800/14XX had 5'2" drivers, as you say, though at 7'4" centres.

Sorry, fell behind a little. Thanks, crummy work internet!

I could have sworn I'd put 'models railways' in my CV, but apparently not... Ah, that's why.

I forgot to put 'railways' after the term.

Whoops.

To be fair I did the same thing.

Besides, I can't imagine 'Models Railways' being particularly appealing to those in literature circles...

Speaking as someone with an A-Level in English Literature and a healthy love of the works of such luminaries as Dickens, Tolkien, Clarke, Wells and Orwell, I can easily disprove that.

Also every time I see your username I want to call you "Semprini". Hopefully some of you will understand what I'm thinking of with that.

• Like 2

I'm studying literature at university and almost decided to plan my dissertation for next year around the Railway Series, but decided against it; I may come back to the idea in due course. I find Dickens terribly dry, though his works lend themselves well to close textual analysis and adaptations, I didn't get on with Tolkien when I first tried to read his books but I'll come back to them at some point and give them another go (I found him too twee), Wells and Orwell I rather like, can't say I've read any of Clarke's works.

I much prefer du Maurier, the Brontes, Austen, Hawthorne and Fitzgerald, among many others. But that's what is so enjoyable about literature, surely; its versatility and the capacity for different interpretations and receptions of texts. I know categorically, for instance, I am not a fan of Blyton or Louis Stephenson due to the language choices and the style of narrative; it just doesn't work for me.

Fair enough. Excellent choices nonetheless. Personally, I like Stephenson but not Blyton so much. Fitzgerald meh, more a Hemingway guy. Never really read any du Maurier. And I adore Jane Eyre, it's actually one of my favourite novels (my favourite actually being The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy, in case anyone's wondering. They probably aren't.)

Also go for it. The Railway Series is actually far deeper from an analytical perspective than most think.

And Simprini; is someone a fan of Monty Python? I've never seen it myself, to memory, but I'll get around to watching it at some point!

Got it in one! It comes recommended; personally I love Python.

Edited by RedGemAlchemist
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I suppose I'm happy being average then? Doesn't invite criticism or comment :P

Only in that you undersell yourself by setting a mediocre target.

Despite the ratings, that wasn’t meant to be funny.

Average is another word for mediocre, and who wants to aspire to mediocrity?

Also go for it. The Railway Series is actually far deeper from an analytical perspective than most think.

How much of the sermonising and racism do you have to plough through first?
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Sorry, fell behind a little. Thanks, crummy work internet!

To be fair I did the same thing.

Speaking as someone with an A-Level in English Literature and a healthy love of the works of such luminaries as Dickens, Tolkien, Clarke, Wells and Orwell, I can easily disprove that.

Also every time I see your username I want to call you "Semprini". Hopefully some of you will understand what I'm thinking of with that.

I'm studying literature at university and almost decided to plan my dissertation for next year around the Railway Series, but decided against it; I may come back to the idea in due course. I find Dickens terribly dry, though his works lend themselves well to close textual analysis and adaptations, I didn't get on with Tolkien when I first tried to read his books but I'll come back to them at some point and give them another go (I found him too twee), Wells and Orwell I rather like, can't say I've read any of Clarke's works.

I much prefer du Maurier, the Brontes, Austen, Hawthorne and Fitzgerald, among many others. But that's what is so enjoyable about literature, surely; its versatility and the capacity for different interpretations and receptions of texts. I know categorically, for instance, I am not a fan of Blyton or Louis Stephenson due to the language choices and the style of narrative; it just doesn't work for me.

And Simprini; is someone a fan of Monty Python? I've never seen it myself, to memory, but I'll get around to watching it at some point!

- Alex

Fair enough. Excellent choices nonetheless. Personally, I like Stephenson but not Blyton so much. Fitzgerald meh, more a Hemingway guy. Never really read any du Maurier. And I adore Jane Eyre, it's actually one of my favourite novels (my favourite actually being The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy, in case anyone's wondering. They probably aren't.)

Got it in one! It comes recommended; personally I love Python.

Ge sagu orgilde snell scôlere, gên ðæge pro eardian and n¯ænig pro æfnung clipian birihte duguð dafen Englisc fær

Gary

10 points to whoever can translate that!! 1 point to anyone that knows what language it is!! Using Google disqualifies you!!

Right, I'm stopping this thread! It's Silly! And rather suspect if you ask me!

With apologies to the great Monty Python...

Ekki viss um hvaða tungumál það er, en google segir mér að það sé íslenskt. Ég geri ráð fyrir að það þýðir að ég sé vanhæfur? Eða fæ ég aukalega stig fyrir að hafa truflað svar á íslensku? Hins vegar er það allt í London, Chatham og Dover, en að minnsta kosti er það ekki Suður-Austurlöndum. Engu að síður fæ ég fyndið einkunn fyrir að reyna að skrifa um fyrirframgreiðslu járnbrautir á íslensku? Eða hef ég tekið brandara of langt?

Edited by sem34090

Ge sagu orgilde snell scôlere, gên ðæge pro eardian and n¯ænig pro æfnung clipian birihte duguð dafen Englisc fær

Gary

10 points to whoever can translate that!! 1 point to anyone that knows what language it is!! Using Google disqualifies you!!

Luke you are disqualified because I just said on Twitter what language it is!!!!

Don't have Twitter and I have no idea, so not even going to try xD

Edited by RedGemAlchemist
  • Like 2