Following a query from Michael, I've decided to post here a rough outline of how I start a CAD model for a steam loco, in this case an LBSCR Class L 4-6-4 'Baltic' Tank:

attachicon.gifLBSCR Class L1 4-6-4T (2).jpg

The base drawing taken from a huge folder of SECR, LBSCR, LSWR & SR tank engines that a friend had given to me.

attachicon.gif1 (2).png

A red block: this will have been measured out at 20ft long, as that is the only measurement given on the drawing.

attachicon.gif2 (2).png

The drawing is imported into Sketchup, but is the wrong scale and the wrong way round.

attachicon.gif3 (2).png

The drawing rotated, but not yet scaled.

attachicon.gif4 (2).png

The drawing re-scaled so that the 20ft length of the cuboid matches the 20ft length marked on the drawing.

attachicon.gif6 (2).png

The red cuboid is deleted, and the drawing is sectioned into side and end.

attachicon.gif7 (2).png

The lines between them are then deleted.

attachicon.gif8 (2).png

The end views are then rotated and placed perpendicular to the side drawing at key points.

attachicon.gif9 (2).png

The drawings are then trimmed as appropiate.

attachicon.gif10 (2).png

The footplate profile is then drawn, using the side drawing as a guide, then it is extruded to the edge of the footplate, as marked on the end drawing.

attachicon.gif11 (2).png

The boiler barrel is then created using a combination of the end and side drawings. From here it is more or less a case of drawing round bits of the drawing and extruding them, but making sure that photos 'agree' with what you're doing!

I hope someone finds this helpful, if only to see what I'm doing right/wrong or why I need/want drawings! I also hope that it helps to show why the model begins life as a true-to scale model, with any adjustments to fit a chassis coming later when the model is all-but complete. The full-size true to scale model will be finished first, then the model will be scaled to whichever scale is required. It is after the re-scaling that the model is adjusted, and it will be saved after re-scaling and before the adjustments in order that a scale version can be offered alongside the compromised one.

E. Missenden

Very big locos compared with a terrier, but then again so are most locos!

post-29975-0-55153700-1521316508_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Very big locos compared with a terrier, but then again so are most locos!

Wow. That is one heck of a size difference!

Hmm... trouble is Hornby Adams Radial is a lot more expensive than an Oxford one, to be used purely as a chassis donor.

Yeah. That's the case with Hornby and Oxford in general though isn't it?

Hmm... trouble is Hornby Adams Radial is a lot more expensive than an Oxford one, to be used purely as a chassis donor.

Well, I waited until I could pick one up at Oxford prices.  Possible if you shop around.

As I don't tend to view my locos from a God-like perspective, given the choice, I'll go for sunlight under the boiler whenever it's supposed to be there (and I tend to prefer locos equipped with ash-pans, too!).

Well, I waited until I could pick one up at Oxford prices.  Possible if you shop around.

As I don't tend to view my locos from a God-like perspective, given the choice, I'll go for sunlight under the boiler whenever it's supposed to be there (and I tend to prefer locos equipped with ash-pans, too!).

Wish the same could be said for a bl**dy Hornby L&Y Pug... 

And yeah. While for me it doesn't totally matter if the overall end result looks good, sem isn't working freelance so accuracy is kind of important.

I have an Oxford Radial, so for me it would make much more sense to design any CAD for that chassis, as it saves me forking out for a Hornby one.

That doesn't mean that I wouldn't do one for the Hornby chassis though.

Trouble is that one can buy an RTR O2 in 4mm...

Upscaling will happen once I've modified it to allow it to be either a G6 or an O2, and actually allow it to fit an RTR chassis.

The T3 will be progressed once the chassis gets here. Derwent will be the next to be completed. I am really sorry to everyone whose time and (in some cases) money I've ended up wasting. This has all been an incredibly, rack and pinion warranting, steep learning curve fitted with a checkrail.

• RMweb Gold

Well, there’s plenty of O2s and not so many G6s, and G6s were usually a goods siding loco, whilst O2s got about a bit. Now, if it could be upscaled as well...

And for what it's worth, if it can be downscaled to 3.5 mm I can definitely use an O2 and / or G6, even if I have to bodge up a chassis myself!   

• Like 1

Well, the poor quality G6 has been done at 3mm, so 3.5mm is a doddle!

Anyway, I didn't think you had commissioned me to do anything yet, Alex?!

Or were the Pullman drawings a hint... :jester:

At any rate neither your good self or James' daughter should be referred to as menaces on here! You're both emerging as railway modellers, and you should both be encouraged!

Incidentally, I've posted in your thread again...

Edited by sem34090

Well, as always, if you have the drawings...

I do need to get on with those pullmans at some stage.

I am well aware that you are not a menace and are indeed a Lady! Also, may I suggest that you perhaps seek alternative people who you use to describe yourself - someone may get rather the wrong impression! :jester:  :O

The latter Lady could perhaps be described as portraying a menacing figure... as can be seen I am ignorant of both TV series.

mast-DA2-maggie-hires-crop-444x250.jpg

olenna-tyrell-compressed.jpg

Well...

I would imagine it's for the best... don't want potential employers being put off by the thought that you may spend huge amounts of time stuck in sheds or wandering around railway stations at odd times of day! :jester:

Besides, I can't imagine 'Models Railways' being particularly appealing to those in literature circles...

• RMweb Premium

Not sure yet...

Change of plan with my G6... it will now have to be an O2. I designed it so bl00dy badly that no 0-6-0 chassis I have will fit.

Just a stage along the way to perfection Sem.  Anyone who says they never made a mistake never made anything.  C1ST5Fx.gif

• RMweb Gold

I have it on my CV. No problems.

The only person I have met who goes into childish giggles is one of my neighbours. Show people a photo, or share a link, of your best modelling output and you get genuine interest, I find.

• Like 1

Fair point... I only had one who seemed to take an active dislike to me after reading that!

Mine currently states that I am an active railway modeller, a member of a model railway club, a band, a former MHR volunteer, and a few other things besides...

These are, indeed, mere stumbles upon the Path to Perfection.

If looking for an alternative to the G6 (which I'd have bought from you, but don't really need), might I suggest, rather than an O2, which has been done RTR, albeit not brilliantly, a T1?

post-25673-0-98214200-1521447448.jpg

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 3