N Gauge Class 68 Locomotive

gedlee

• RMweb Premium

My Intrepid arrived yesterday and I've snapped a few photos of it. 

Now, I've been a bit down on Dapol recently and as an N Gauge modeller I find them somewhat infuriating. Their Schools Class initially impressed, but over time running quality has become a problem on my example. The Class 33 has lovely moulded details, runs like a dream but is let down by awful design and sloppy finishing. My 9F runs like it has square wheels and a Britannia isn't far behind. I'd long hoped a 142 would appear in N Gauge, but Dapol's looks sufficiently unlike one that for me that it's off the list. Of course I've also had a few niggles with Fairsh stuff in the past but to nowhere near this extent, and their recent models have all been outstanding in every aspect. 

I ordered the 68 with an eye on a future project involving swinging bridges, but only after having a close look at the samples at Warley and being sufficiently impressed by those to take a punt on it, so there was some trepidation when it arrived yesterday. On extracting it from the box, one of the bogies immediately flopped loose.

Arse.....

After removing the body, which is pleasingly simple compared to the 33 (in so much as the model didn't reduce itself to its component parts) I found that the clip on top of the gear tower that holds the bogie in place had become unclipped. It was a bit of a faff to get it all back where it should be as the PCB covers almost the entire length of the chassis block, but once clipped back into place all was fine. Having run it around my usual Unitrack oval, the ruling qualities are superb, equalling those of the Farish Class 40 which is pretty much perfect. There is some light leak down the sides of the body so this will need to be blocked somehow, and Dapol haven't replicated the Halo lighting of the prototype, but that would challenge any mass market manufacturer in this scale I suspect. 

The 68 has clearly benefitted from the development of the OO Gauge model, and there really is nothing to find fault with in the quality of the mouldings. The separate plastic handrails are commendably fine and flat section as per the prototype and overall it looks like Dapol have perfectly captured the complex curvature of the cabs when compared to the real thing. My only real niggle is the fit of the centre headlight glazing, which is somewhat abstract at both ends on my example. This will need to be removed and seated properly after the small moulding pips still present have been removed. 

Clearly the 'wow' feature on this particular model is the finish. I have to give kudos to Dapol for even considering attempting this livery. Bachmann copped out with their OO FGW 166 by ignoring the colour transitions altogether, so to see a scheme which features multi coloured fading transitioning artwork done this well in N Gauge deserves maximum credit. Is it perfect? No, and close up the pixelated nature of the finish is evident, but you have to be seriously close up for it to even be a concern and the overall effect is as close as it's going to get in this scale. The Compass has a simplified representation map but again it's enough to give the right impression and the plethora of other markings are all excellent, right down to the tiny warning flash on the ETS fitting. Top marks to Dapol on this front! 

The 68 is a superb model in N Gauge. If it wasn't for the epic scale and gutsiness of the RevolutioN Pendolino it might even be model of the year. But this brings me back to my initial infuriation with Dapol. They can produce models which are the equal of Bachmann when they put their minds to it, the 68 proves this. But then we get a misshapen lump like the 142, or get strung along waiting for a model which never comes like the BoB/West Country. I want to like Dapol, I really do, but they just make it so dammed hard! From my own personal point of view, if they stopped flailing around like a sweaty octopus trying to unhook a bra and brought some focus and consistency to their range, they could really start to give Barwell something to be worried about. 

attachicon.gifCU0J9713.jpg

attachicon.gifCU0J9705.jpg

attachicon.gifCU0J9711.jpg

attachicon.gifCU0J9716.jpg

attachicon.gifCU0J9718.jpg

Tom. 

Great photos Tom but must take issue here. Firstly, I haven't seen the Pacer yet, or even a review of it . If you have and that's your impression, so be it.  If anything deserved your description, how about the Graham Farish cars--remember them? I have no issues with the 33 either.

TomE interesting review of the unreleased class 142, having seen the preproduction models in the display cases I disagree with you. I also know a lot of work has gone into these, there certainly aren't misshappen lumps of plastic. Yes the early CADs had errors but Dapol have done a lot of work on them since then, lets wait for their release shall we.

Class 68 does look good.

• RMweb Gold

Great photos Tom but must take issue here. Firstly, I haven't seen the Pacer yet, or even a review of it . If you have and that's your impression, so be it.  If anything deserved your description, how about the Graham Farish cars--remember them? I have no issues with the 33 either.

In respect of the 142, I have looked at it close up at several shows now at various stages of development, seen the photos posted here and elsewhere, compared it to photos of the real thing and to my eyes it is a misshapen lump of plastic. For me personally, the shape of the model looks off enough to stop me from buying one. Others of course will feel differently, as is entirley their prerogative, and I'm sure they will sell well given how long people have been waiting for them. 

I'm afraid I don't remember the Farish car range, but then not having a need for them they probably weren't on my radar. I'm aware of the scale issues with the buses however and I'm not saying Farish are perfect, but I can only go on my own experiences. The fact is I can pick out any Farish loco from my fleet and I can be confident it will perform without issue. I just can't say the same for a significant proportion of the Dapol stock I own. 

The 68 is a beautiful model and proves Dapol can be up there with Farish in terms of quality & finish, and knowing they can be makes it all the more frustrating when you have to deal with the issues I've described previously. 

Tom.  

• RMweb Gold

My experiences are different to yours. I can't count on any Farish locos to perform at all, having had problems with "split gears" on class 24s (2 out of 3), "old" class 31s with Chinese mechanisms but original body tooling (2 out of 2 green ones, one of which was itself a replacement for one that was d.o.a), Scotrail "whoosh" 158, class 20s (ALL of those with the original body tooling with Chinese mechanisms) and B1 (one out of two). Also a class 46 and a 66. For some of these no spares are available.

By contrast I have had only issue with a Dapol model—a B1 which shed its valve gear on one side. The replacement has been no trouble and now runs better than the "good" Farish B1 I have. That's apart from the GW and Ivatt 2-6-2Ts which have never run very well, but haven't suffered any failures as such. My Dapol 66 is fine, too.

That said, by chance all of my Dapol models were bought before Dave Jones left, so I can't say whether newer locos are worse. Also, all of my newest-generation Farish models (new class 20s and 31s, and others with careless motors) are still O.K.

I haven't seen the Pacer yet, or even a review of it . If you have and that's your impression, so be it. 

Décor sample models of the class 142 were on display at TINGS and pics have appeared in the NGS Journal, Dapol adverts, other websites and even in the RMweb thread concerning them.

G. 

I can pick out any Farish loco from my fleet and I can be confident it will perform without issue. I just can't say the same for a significant proportion of the Dapol stock I own. 

I can't count on any Farish locos to perform at all, having had problems with "split gears" on class 24s (2 out of 3), "old" class 31s with Chinese mechanisms but original body tooling (2 out of 2 green ones, one of which was itself a replacement for one that was d.o.a),

I certainly don't have any more confidence in either manufacturer that the models I have will perform without issue every time they're used.

My experience is probably more running failures with Farish (particularly split gears, poorly aligned pick-ups, etc.,) while the issues on Dapol are more cosmetic (badly assembled detail, poor fit, things falling off, etc.,) although I had to work extensively on my Dapol Voyager to make it run well - it runs like a dream now. And there is rumour of poorly built PCBs although I've not experienced that.

Neither can be relied on 100%, but they do both make some exceptional N gauge models as well as Friday afternoon dogs.

G

The Dapol 68 does look great. Unfortunately there weren't any around the Western Region in the 1960s so I cant allow myself to buy one. I talked my brother into buying one from Cheltenham at Glasgow yesterday together with a bargain priced chip from Digitrains.

I have 19 Dapol locos and 14 Farish. All were purchased new since 2013 and all are running fine. Yes they have to be maintained and that has included a bit of soldering here and there and a bit of glueing things back on but I see that as normal maintenance requirements for hard working locos. The Farish locos may be just a little more resilient than the Dapol but from what I have seen there really isn't much between them. I'm just glad that first Dapol and then Farish have made such excellent models in recent years otherwise I would not be doing N gauge. 

The Dapol 68 does look great. Unfortunately there weren't any around the Western Region in the 1960s so I cant allow myself to buy one. I talked my brother into buying one from Cheltenham at Glasgow yesterday together with a bargain priced chip from Digitrains.

I have 19 Dapol locos and 14 Farish. All were purchased new since 2013 and all are running fine. Yes they have to be maintained and that has included a bit of soldering here and there and a bit of glueing things back on but I see that as normal maintenance requirements for hard working locos. The Farish locos may be just a little more resilient than the Dapol but from what I have seen there really isn't much between them. I'm just glad that first Dapol and then Farish have made such excellent models in recent years otherwise I would not be doing N gauge. 

I would fully agree.  There is little to choose between Dapol and Farish when it comes to reliability overall.  I speak from running an exhibition fleet of now well over a hundred locos that have to work hard for their living.  Over a two day show each loco will run over a mile (or the equivalent of over 150 scale miles).  MOST locos run reliably show after show.

True certain types have their issues.  In diesels there is little to choose between makes- I can pull any Dapol Class 27 or Farish 24 out of the box and know it will run perfectly and continue to run for the whole exhibition.  With steam there are certain foibles BUT I know that the vast majority of locos will pull their rostered train quite happily for the whole weekend.  Farish may be glossier, but my most reliable performers on the heaviest trains are my fleet of Dapol A3s.  On lighter duties the Farish WDs run well as do 4 of my 5 Farish A1s (the other  prefers BR Lines company to mine - just returned for the 5th time yesterday with almost no mechanical parts remaining now from the loco I originally bought new).

Having also previously run a fleet of Continental locos on an exhibition layout you may pay a lot more for Minitrix, Fleischmann and Arnold but you DON'T get an increase in quality that matches the price.

The new 68 looks superb, and the vast majority will run superbly.

TomE - As to the "dropped" bogie- the loco should have been tested before being boxed.  It is then subjected to being bumped about in its container and to umpteen thousand miles of vibration from ship engines.  That is guaranteed to detatch parts from a few locos.  This is why getting your dealer to check it before purchase is a good idea.  Having said that the Royal Mail and certain couriers don't treat small packets that gently, so the detached bogie might have been caused by the service that delivered your loco to you.

Les

• RMweb Gold

My 68010 'Oxford Flyer' arrived safely and all bits still attached. However there was a bit of white fogging around one of the cab door handrails, it looks like someone had checked it and added a touch of cyno to this handrail. Luckily the fogging rubbed off both the body and glazing to the door.

Loco has now been on the rolling road and run in. I am now just awaiting a Next 18 doecoder to arrive in time for it to be used on the layout this weekend.

Loco has now been on the rolling road and run in. I am now just awaiting a Next 18 doecoder to arrive in time for it to be used on the layout this weekend.

The 26 page owners guide says "no special running in or initial lubrications is required" although it also adds that they suggest "first run it in both directions at a slow speed whilst checking for correct operation".

G

• RMweb Gold

The 26 page owners guide says "no special running in or initial lubrications is required" although it also adds that they suggest "first run it in both directions at a slow speed whilst checking for correct operation".

G

I only ran it for about 10 minutes so wasnt a full 'run in'.

There is already plenty of lubrication as it is on one side of one of the bogies, so needs wiping off. I do find that these days that quite often locos have too much lubrication added at factory both from Dapol and Farish.

• RMweb Gold

TomE - As to the "dropped" bogie- the loco should have been tested before being boxed.  It is then subjected to being bumped about in its container and to umpteen thousand miles of vibration from ship engines.  That is guaranteed to detatch parts from a few locos.  This is why getting your dealer to check it before purchase is a good idea.  Having said that the Royal Mail and certain couriers don't treat small packets that gently, so the detached bogie might have been caused by the service that delivered your loco to you.

Les

I've seen other reports of the same issue elsewhere so it appears to not be an isolated issue however it's an easy enough fix, if a bit of a faff given the restricted access due to the PCB. The packaging holds the model tight, so my guess would be the clip wasn't quite seated properly in the factory and it's come loose somewhere in transit.

As I said in my original post, the 68 is a superb model, and I've since ordered a second one. All I need now is for Farish to get a move on with the aircon Mk.2s and some Anglia Turquoise paint....

Tom.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Well Both DRS and Scotrail arrived today. Packaging sensibly tells to lift using the slip of polythene that loco lays in the tray.

Below all the packaging is a little 26 page booklet - a great preop read and suggestions/ info on DCC. A welcome upgrade in its own right.  Jewel boxes slightly smaller but foam packaging just right.

The model feels hefty and well made. The detail pipes are fully installed on one end and with shortened  pipes at coupler end. Bits bag has more shorts and another rapido  to make loco double ended for end to end operations. Looks to take easy shunts but not fitted these yet.

Like the real thing power full and smooth, unlike the real thing its quiet !!  Brilliant model in every way and shakes off old school input.

Saving up pennies for rest of the fleet.

Thanks to all at Dapol for this great model.

Robert    

• Like 1

I've seen other reports of the same issue elsewhere so it appears to not be an isolated issue however it's an easy enough fix, if a bit of a faff given the restricted access due to the PCB. The packaging holds the model tight, so my guess would be the clip wasn't quite seated properly in the factory and it's come loose somewhere in transit.

As least 3 I've read on various forums, and also on Facebook one trader saying all his were affected. Easy fix fortunately.

Cheers,

Alan

• RMweb Gold

As least 3 I've read on various forums, and also on Facebook one trader saying all his were affected. Easy fix fortunately.

Cheers,

Alan

Add to that my second, this time both bogies unclipped. Not a show stopper as you say, but a bit frustrating. The fit of the centre headlight glazing on my second was also as bad as the first.

But, those little niggles aside it is still a superb model. 

Tom. 

Add to that my second, this time both bogies unclipped. Not a show stopper as you say, but a bit frustrating. The fit of the centre headlight glazing on my second was also as bad as the first.

But, those little niggles aside it is still a superb model. 

Tom. 

That sounds more like an underpaid Chinese worker not pushing them home hard enough.  Likely to be a batch issue as not all will be assembled by the same person.

Les

Just posted a mini-review of sorts on the Dapol digest forum. I won't repeat it all here as I've not really said anything that hasn't already been said in this thread, but I will say this - do not get white spirit anywhere near your Class 68 windscreen. Unless that is, you want to model an iced up windscreen to suit the freezing temperatures we're seeing at the moment...

Photographic evidence of my stupidity attached - I'm hoping I can get hold of a replacement easily enough and the factory weren't too over-zealous with the glue when fitting the glazing...

post-15125-0-24006100-1519947280_thumb.jpg

post-15125-0-56592300-1519947309_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ash,

I appreciate you might be wary of going near the windscreen with any more chemicals, but it might be worth trying to rub it with a small amount of Johnson's Klear floor cleaner. That certainly clears fogging caused by cyano on clear glazing.

Cheers

Ben A.

The rule is - don't get white spirit near any glazing on any model.

Absolutely. This model seems very sensitive to it though - I merely brushed it lightly it with a cotton bud before I realised it had a bit of white spirit on, and within minutes it was white!

Hi Ash,i

I appreciate you might be wary of going near the windscreen with any more chemicals, but it might be worth trying to rub it with a small amount of Johnson's Klear floor cleaner. That certainly clears fogging caused by cyano on clear glazing.

Cheers

Ben A.

Thanks for the tip Ben, I'd certainly give it a go, got nothing to lose. I can't seem to find the product you suggest though. I've found a Johnson's floor wax, but that's about it. Where did you buy it from?

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ash.

This is the stuff you need. It certainly works with fogging from superglue so it may help with the white spirit also, although I’ve never tried it for that personally.

post-1467-0-56435200-1519996578_thumb.jpeg

Tom.

My class 68005 arrived from Kernow MRC mid week and I have test run it today, I am very pleased and impressed with this model. Yes 1 handrail was misaligned but otherwise all seems to be excellent, it runs very quiet and very slow. I have taken the body off and the bogies are correctly assembled and lights seem to be correct. I have rather forcible removed the  cove on the roof to access the switches, real shame this is glued down and so difficult to do, otherwise it would be a great idea. Overall a great model, real pleased with my purchase and definitely a rule 1.

My class 68005 arrived from Kernow MRC mid week and I have test run it today, I am very pleased and impressed with this model. Yes 1 handrail was misaligned but otherwise all seems to be excellent, it runs very quiet and very slow. I have taken the body off and the bogies are correctly assembled and lights seem to be correct. I have rather forcible removed the  cove on the roof to access the switches, real shame this is glued down and so difficult to do, otherwise it would be a great idea. Overall a great model, real pleased with my purchase and definitely a rule 1.

Just fitted one with a Legomanbiffo Sound decoder, runs as sweet as a nut, and it loud too!

• RMweb Gold

Just fitted one with a Legomanbiffo Sound decoder, runs as sweet as a nut, and it loud too!

Forgive my ignorance, i'm new to this sound stuff, but I had a look on the DC kits website and I couldn't see an option for a NEXT18 decoder with the legomanbiffo sounds. Will this be an option on offer in the future? 

Cheers, 

Tom.