The Pre-Grouping Modelling Showcase.

• RMweb Premium

I do like the D358 and D359 covered goods wagons with different varieties of roof hatch - are they based purely on the diagrams or have you seen photos/drawings? Essery, Midland Wagons, records two numbers for D359 (one of which you've used) and none for D358 but doesn't have a photo of either. I wonder if the roof hatches would have survived to LMS days - remembering that these wagons were built in 1892?

Also, pardon my asking, but what is the evidence for what I take to be "passenger red" livery on the D361 covered goods wagon? I'm sure in Midland days they were always grey, even though rated to run in passenger trains.

Edited by Compound2632

I do like the D358 and D359 covered goods wagons with different varieties of roof hatch - are they based purely on the diagrams or have you seen photos/drawings? Essery, Midland Wagons, records two numbers for D359 (one of which you've used) and none for D358 but doesn't have a photo of either. I wonder if the roof hatches would have survived to LMS days - remembering that these wagons were built in 1892?

Also, pardon my asking, but what is the evidence for what I take to be "passenger red" livery on the D361 covered goods wagon? I'm sure in Midland days they were always grey, even though rated to run in passenger trains.

Hi Compound,

I haven't my books to hand to check but I recall doing the one with the centre hatch from an outline drawing in Essery (not sure where I got the number from but it must have been a best guess from one of the ranges quoted). 

Re the Covered good's, it's red oxide for a fitted van rather than passenger red it's the photo lighting that throws it a bit off.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi Compound,

I haven't my books to hand to check but I recall doing the one with the centre hatch from an outline drawing in Essery (not sure where I got the number from but it must have been a best guess from one of the ranges quoted). 

Re the Covered good's, it's red oxide for a fitted van rather than passenger red it's the photo lighting that throws it a bit off.

Didn't red oxide for fitted wagons on the LMS coincide with the smaller lettering in the bottom corner?  Sometime post 1935 IIRC (IIRC it was 1936 when the GWR went to small lettering).

In which case, is this an example of the new livery1936 adapted (to accommodate the presence of the louvres)?  I would have thought that, in the grey livery, the 'L M S' would have been larger.

I speak from a position of ignorance, mind you.

• RMweb Premium

Out of my “Railway Liveries - LMSR” Brian Haresnape, he says in 1936/7 the livery for goods wagons was changed from grey to bauxite brown, (or red, being an indecisive shade between red and brown) At the same time the use of the large letters LMS was abandoned and these appeared at L.H. end of the wagon in small characters. Worth noting that this brown was quite a darker tone than what we think of bauxite nowadays. The sizes of the old “LMS” large lettering varied considerably, there wasn’t a standard height or style.

Don't know how I missed this thread lovely stuff all of it.

As a bit of light relief a couple of my loco's;

Florence No. 12 North Tees Railway circa. 3rd Aug 1913 11.30am. approx. LRM NER P1 kit adapted.

post-13703-0-06005400-1524166023.jpg

South Farne Iron Company No.1. circa. 3rd Aug 1913 11.30am. approx.  Adapted Consett A class Judith Edge kit.

post-13703-0-34597200-1524166040.jpg

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Florence No. 12 North Tees Railway circa. 3rd Aug 1913 11.30am. approx. 

It is generally believed that around 11:55am, with cloud overhead looking to turn to rain, the crew rigged up their tarpaulin cover between the engine and tender cabs. Shortly afterwards they got the bobby to telegraph for assistance as they were right out of coal.

Crikey Compound2632 it appears you're a greater authority on the South Farne system than even I am!  :jester:

You're right of course, even though I got the paint formulation spot on, I forgot to put the coal in both engines. What a chump.

Edited by Iain Popplewell
  • Like 4

Just finished these 3 Furness Rly medium cattle van, 2 Great Eastern 5 planks. They need weathering now or the Cattle van does as its for me the GER wagons aren't so I will let them do that if they choose.

Marc

post-13539-0-25263500-1524487784.jpg

post-13539-0-90707800-1524487803.jpg

post-13539-0-89704400-1524487813.jpg

post-13539-0-75083600-1524487833.jpg

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Thanks gent's I hadn't realised that they changed from grey to red oxide that late. Perhaps a repaint is in order at some point.

Essery in 'Midland Wagons' Vol 1 seems to agree, although he's very sketchy on liveries for covered wagons. Unfitted covered wagons were certainly grey in LMS days (pre-1936ish).

For fitted vans, Plates 185 and 186 show these, and the last bit of text says 'when in LMS grey livery, the 'X' was on the bottom half of the door...' So fitted vans were also in grey at the start of LMS days.

I hope that helps.

• RMweb Premium

As a general rule, LMS wagon livery was MR wagon livery apart from the change of initials up to the change to bauxite and small lettering. There was never any distinction in livery between fitted, piped, and unfitted wagons (apart from the X branding and any other specific instructions. The only distinction was between goods vehicles and passenger-rated vehicles. The D361 van in question was a goods vehicle.

Another couple of snaps (on my mobile) of Modbury before I pack it up ready for the Epsom & Ewell show at the weekend.

Firstly a view towards Plymouth (please excuse the extension lead coiled up on the traintable beyond the bridge!  I hadn't realised it was there until I uploaded the photos)

post-12089-0-56541600-1524601935_thumb.jpg

And a view in the other direction across the station environs

post-12089-0-92269200-1524601953_thumb.jpg

The layout still has a lot to do on it, but I think that what is there is acceptable for its second public appearance.

Ian

• Like 19

Another couple of snaps (on my mobile) of Modbury before I pack it up ready for the Epsom & Ewell show at the weekend.

The layout still has a lot to do on it, but I think that what is there is acceptable for its second public appearance.

Looking superb, Ian.  I would say that it is looking more than just 'acceptable'!  Hope it goes well at the Show.

Jim

Hi Ian,

Are you bringing Modbury along to Chelford this year?

It would be great to see the progress in the flesh. 

Argos,

Yes, Modbury will be there at the "Skills Day".  Please make yourself known if you come, it's always nice to put a face to a name or mnemonic :-)  -  I'm glad you asked as it prompted me to update the "Exhibition Diary" on my website (I really ought to get round to adding some more pages on there too!) :-)

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Argos,

Yes, Modbury will be there at the "Skills Day".  Please make yourself known if you come, it's always nice to put a face to a name or mnemonic :-)  -  I'm glad you asked as it prompted me to update the "Exhibition Diary" on my website (I really ought to get round to adding some more pages on there too!) :-)

Ian

Hi Ian,

I'll be there with RNAS Glencruitten so should be fairly visible!

I'll introduce myself anyway 

Argos (otherwise known as Angus)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Some GW wagons for your perusal.

First, a Coopercraft 4 Plank wagon and 2 David Geen 3 plank ones.   

post-21453-0-28263500-1525534373_thumb.jpg

And here are some modified Coopercraft 4 plank wagons as seen in the Nov 2016 Railway Modeller.

post-21453-0-59759300-1525535530_thumb.jpg

post-21453-0-46713700-1525535509_thumb.jpg

post-21453-0-51667700-1525535552_thumb.jpg

post-21453-0-32235600-1525535566_thumb.jpg

Then there is this D & S double bolster wagon - very nice and easy to build and still nominally available through the the ABS brand (although with Adrian's illness he isn't in business at the moment it seems.)

post-21453-0-04221900-1525534395_thumb.jpg

Now a couple of cattle wagons.  First an ABS W2 medium cattle wagon modified to have grease axleboxes and awaiting the final detailing the of interior (straw) and then the roof can be added.

post-21453-0-49812300-1525534423_thumb.jpg

And here is a Ratio/Shire Scenes collaboration to produce the one off iron cattle wagon.  I have done it as built, so again grease axle boxes. (And it is resisting all attempts to get it the right way up on here)

post-21453-0-76561600-1525534461_thumb.jpg

Something in grey this time, the prototype Mink D, a modified Parkside Mink D kit with new ends and a longer wheelbase, as seen in June 2017 Railway Modeller.

post-21453-0-29364300-1525535188_thumb.jpg

Finally, rake of red wagons with an outside framed brake van (D & S).  The wagons are Ratio and Coopercraft (and modified too).

post-21453-0-81545500-1525535102.jpg

Edited by drduncan
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

And here is a Ratio/Shire Scenes collaboration to produce the one off iron cattle wagon.  I have done it as built, so again grease axle boxes. (And it is resisting all attempts to get it the right way up on here)

Must be the Australian version.....