The Pre-Grouping Modelling Showcase.

• RMweb Gold

Some GW wagons for your perusal.

First, a Coopercraft 4 Plank wagon and 2 David Geen 3 plank ones.   

attachicon.gifIMG_4727-min.JPG

And here are some modified Coopercraft 4 plank wagons as seen in the Nov 2016 Railway Modeller.

attachicon.gifO5 article finished wagons 13.JPG

attachicon.gifO5 article finished wagons 12.JPG

attachicon.gifO5 article finished wagons 15.JPG

attachicon.gifO5 article finished wagons 16.JPG

Then there is this D & S double bolster wagon - very nice and easy to build and still nominally available through the the ABS brand (although with Adrian's illness he isn't in business at the moment it seems.)

attachicon.gifIMG_4730-min.JPG

Now a couple of cattle wagons.  First an ABS W2 medium cattle wagon modified to have grease axleboxes and awaiting the final detailing the of interior (straw) and then the roof can be added.

attachicon.gifIMG_4729-min.JPG

And here is a Ratio/Shire Scenes collaboration to produce the one off iron cattle wagon.  I have done it as built, so again grease axle boxes. (And it is resisting all attempts to get it the right way up on here)

attachicon.gifIMG_4064.JPG

Something in grey this time, the prototype Mink D, a modified Parkside Mink D kit with new ends and a longer wheelbase, as seen in June 2017 Railway Modeller.

attachicon.gifIMG_4832.JPG

Finally, rake of red wagons with an outside framed brake van (D & S).  The wagons are Ratio and Coopercraft (and modified too).

attachicon.gifRed wagons 1.jpg

Great stuff, I really like the chalk markings.

Don't think I have seen the bolster kit in red before before, lovely vehicle.

Edited by Mikkel

Great stuff, I really like the chalk markings.

Don't think I have seen the bolster kit in red before before, lovely vehicle.

Hi Mikkel,

Thanks. The chalk markings were done with a cocktail stick and white acrylic or a 4 O brush for the ‘words’ - which are really just the capital letter and a squiggle and the odd loop for a y or an l and it’s amazing what the eye will see.

D

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a GWR Dean Goods in Pre WW1 condition.

The basic body is mainline, with new chimney, dome and safety valve cover as well as a new smoke box door assembly from Quarryscape's (of this parish) Coast Line Models Range.  Then it was just a reprint and lined with HMRS pressfix GWR loco lining.  Underneath both loco and tender are High Level Kits chassis kits, which, to be frank, are superb.  IN the tender is the DCC Zimo sound chip (I'm using a YouChoos Collett Goods sound fileas there isn't a Dean Goods available at the moment).

post-21453-0-25321800-1526739181_thumb.jpg

• Like 17
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

At long last, the loco that kickstarted my interest in Pre-Grouping Steam is complete!

DSC09617.JPG.f1d5b367f4197817494c4d40b06feb77.JPG

DSC09618.JPG.5bb5176e2b518938930b3e5cac69c299.JPG

The L&YR Class 25 0-6-0 No. 957 as preserved on the K&WVR later found fame as The Green Dragon in the 1970 film The Railway Children. This loco along with repainted clerestory coaches to nicely compliment it took two years to make and complete. The numberplates were exclusively made and the loco was converted from a Bachmann C Class 0-6-0 with exchanged parts and decalsof said-company which are extremely rare nowadays but I was lucky to get ahold of some.

Anyway, this was the first one to be completed alongside my MR 2511 Class 2-6-0 which is next and my LNWR 19" Goods Class 4-6-0 is next in line.

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Mrkirtley800 said:

I can't really match that last entry

Yes you can! simply stunning (as is Copenhagen Fields mind, I just wouldn't like to choose between the two!) 

Edited by Argos
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Mrkirtley800 said:

That looks really interesting.  How about some more photos?

Derek

There aren't many more photos as it's still a work-in-progress but you can see more of the layout if you click on the link in my signature line, below.

7 hours ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

Probably my favourite carriage  built for London Road. A LNWR D10, 65' 6" Composite Dining Saloon, modified from a Modellers World D9 kit by using a Bill Bedford narrow vestibule etch and running on Masokit sprung bogies. The photo was taken by Barry Norman for MRJ but not used in the London Road article.

932884747_D10Diner.jpg.8a2a5590e310f7fc1a842b0a61d6d209.jpg

Gorgeous model of a sumptuous prototype. 

It is very American in its influence; sort of Country & North Western. 

• Funny 4

53 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Gorgeous model of a sumptuous prototype. 

It is very American in its influence; sort of Country & North Western. 

Perhaps a bit of Pullman influence? The LNWR generally only used clerestory roofs on some of the 12 wheel diners and sleppers, Royal train carriages and some other Diagrams including a45ft Family Saloon and some 45ft bogie vans (some of which were converted for use in WW1 Ambulance Trains).

Here, by way of a change is something different. A GER Horsebox, built from a D&S kits and painted by Ian Rathbone. I don't know who built it, I took it as payment of a debt, together with its GWR counterpart.

76252533_GERHB.jpg.1c8c25fc9e682c5e658713b6125c85b7.jpg

Edited by Jol Wilkinson
Additional text
  • Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

On 28/03/2019 at 13:00, CF MRC said:

My iPad desktop picture (courtesy RM, Craig Tiley).

Tim

28AE4D05-19C1-44CA-8F90-F9E1035BAA38.jpeg

Great pic, spoiled by the signals, if it's pre-grouping. Distant signals didn't become yellow until 1928, IIRC, and if this is true GN, surely they should be somersaults, rather then upper quadrant.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

True, re signals, but the layout is set between the wars and we alllow ourselves a latitude in the stock running from the 1900s up to 1940.  The track plan is accurate  for the main lines up to 1932 in the Belle Isle section. 

Tim

Edited by CF MRC
  • Like 1