Gilberdyke Modernisation (Real Railway)

• RMweb Premium

Any up dates on the resignalling? I have heard that all is not going to plan.

Hi Mick,

I must admit I've not been out that way to judge on progress for about 3 weeks, so I couldn't really comment. I'll try for a trip out over the weekend - weather permitting.

I'm due to start back at work in a couple of weeks so I'll make some enquiries via the "bush telegraph".

Regards, Ian.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mick,

I must admit I've not been out that way to judge on progress for about 3 weeks, so I couldn't really comment. I'll try for a trip out over the weekend - weather permitting.

I'm due to start back at work in a couple of weeks so I'll make some enquiries via the "bush telegraph".

Regards, Ian.

Hi Mick,

Quick update, just heard on the grapevine that the contractor on the job have had a few problems from early on, from day one in fact. No need to go into details, but suffice to say "corporate politics" is involved.

Regards, Ian.

• Like 1

By the day(s) thirty five years ago since Hessle Haven closed.

I still have the final Train Registar.

Saturday 26 February 1983.
Last Up Train, Description received at 2256hrs, and sent forward to Melton on passing at 2301hrs.
Last Down Train, Description received and sent forward at 2352hrs.

Abolished as a Block Post 0334hr Sunday 27 February 1983.

post-702-0-64638200-1519514911_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

The Four Road Section, originally stretched from Hessle Junction SB  (later Hessle East) to Staddlethorpe Junction SB (now Gylberdyke), in all there were 12 Signalboxes, 2 Ground Frame's and 2 Gateboxes. If all goes to plan all that remains, within approx five weeks will be history, it's interesting to relate, that as early as June 1909, Swanland 'box was listed as "Not in Use".

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Finally managed to get out today with the camera. Some installation work on the signals has been completed, but a few still to do yet. Also managed to get down to Broomfleet for a few shots.

This new signal GH1706.

post-32776-0-20725700-1519593070_thumb.jpg

This is new signal GH1704, but not yet erected.

post-32776-0-03165600-1519593081_thumb.jpg

A bit hard to see, but new signal GH1703 is laying towards the camera and will replace the semaphores G45/O9 behind.

post-32776-0-95893600-1519593088_thumb.jpg

For anyone interested in modelling a wooden platform, this is a shot of platform 1 at Broomfleet.

post-32776-0-73095200-1519593097_thumb.jpg

Signal B12 at Broomfleet...

post-32776-0-79972600-1519593106_thumb.jpg

... and a closer shot.

post-32776-0-93756200-1519593101_thumb.jpg

Broomfleet B39 signal.

post-32776-0-76271900-1519593197_thumb.jpg

The old platform 2 when the line was four-track.

post-32776-0-12098100-1519593174_thumb.jpg

New signal GH1709.

post-32776-0-39568200-1519593182_thumb.jpg

Signal B45 "on"...

post-32776-0-95734800-1519593189_thumb.jpg

... and B45 "off".

post-32776-0-36537700-1519593204_thumb.jpg

That's all for now. I'll try and get some update's next weekend, but if the weather is anything like what is forecast, I might just stay in and keep the fire company!

Regards, Ian.

• Like 14

let's hope when they shut signal boxes they remember to stop the phone, water, electricity etc...

During the short time I worked for the North Eastern Gas Board, as it was then in the 60's, I was sent to the mortal remains of Dairycoates West signal box. The pile of bricks had been reported as smelling strongly of gas. We found after, digging down, a still installed meter, that the demolition crew had evidently missed.

• RMweb Gold

Well, with the delay, at least we will get to see the semaphores for a bit longer than we would have. The new colour lights were due to be commissioned over the Easter weekend, with no trains over that weekend.

Regards,

Rob.

Can someone tell me, do the railway now instruct the designers of their infrastructure to incorporate as much ugliness as possible into everything which is installed? Signals, station installations, even some of the trains are now often hideously ugly with no thought as to the aesthetics of what is being deployed.

Cheers

Mike

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I agree with your point on aesthetics. York used to have round topped signal heads and useful double-sided theatre boxes with large clear figures using lamps. The modern replacements are ugly, lack style and modern theatre boxes use harsh thin white figures.

As for those stumpy LED signals with no backboards, I despair.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

It's now two months since the resignalling was put back. Have any dates been published for when it will now actually happen?

Hi Mick,

Not heard anything yet, but I'm attending an IRO evening at York on Tuesday (presentation on New Northern trains) so I'll ask if anyone there knows of the new date.

Regards, Ian.

• RMweb Gold

It’s dragging on a bit, Ian. I was at Broomfleet last Sunday, cycling around the area, and all the new equipment is in place but covered up in plastic etc. I took some photos, one of which I posted in my East Yorkshire thread. It will be interesting to see what is actually to happen about the new signalling.

Best regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

I think it's the Hull to Brighton train which ran at lunchtime. The inbound working was from Paddington!

1322 Hull-Brighton, 1J01 I think, joined the 1156? Newcastle-Brighton at Sheffield. Shunt manouver carried out by one of TI's usually scruffy 08's.

• RMweb Premium

It's now two months since the resignalling was put back. Have any dates been published for when it will now actually happen?

Hi Mick,

As I mentioned in post #115, I attended an IRO event this evening. Unfortunately, the people I spoke to were still in the dark regarding a new date as to when the new signalling on the Gilberdyke - Hessle stretch would be brought into use. So for now, I'm afraid it's still a case of "watch this space".

Regards, Ian.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Do we know what the delay is for?

I've heard one or two rumours, but without any evidence to corroborate I wouldn't like to repeat those rumours on RMweb.

Regards, Ian.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Do we know what the delay is for?

I'm told communications problems between the lineside infrastructure and York ROC.  Ie one is not talking to the other!  Easter next year is the latest rumour I've heard, but I don't think there is anything definitive yet.

• 2 weeks later...

I have just been again looking through my collection of S&T drawings, it's interesting to reflect that some years ago, there were plans to single the line west of Gylberdyke and also to reduce Brough East to a Gatebox but retain Brough  West.