Gilberdyke Modernisation (Real Railway)

• RMweb Premium

Remarkable on that long straight line how far away you can see oncoming trains, especially with modern headlights!  In places they dip in and out of view as they rise over the waterway bridges.

Hi Steve,

Yes, and on a clear day you can see even further. I'll try and prove it one day if the sun ever decides to come out again!

Regards, Ian.

• Like 1

The present Staddlethorpe Junction/Gylberdyke signalbox is actually the third one. Prior to 1903 and the building of the Road Bridge there was a level crossing.

Early days yet, and almost ten months away, but I'm presently putting together an in depth talk/slide show on the history of the line Hull to Staddlethorpe1840 to April 2018. This will be given to the Signal Record Society, at the York meeting sometime this coming October. You don't have to be an SRS member to attend, and all welcome.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Steve,

Yes, and on a clear day you can see even further. I'll try and prove it one day if the sun ever decides to come out again!

Regards, Ian.

Just thought of something else regarding the "how far you can see comment". I don't know if you know the area Steve, but a few miles further west from Gilberdyke towards Selby is Wressle, a small village with a station and an AHB crossing. Every time I go across the crossing I can't help smiling to myself. Next to the crossing (on the Down side) is a house. Nothing unusual about that you might think, except the name which is "Sea View"!!!

Regards, Ian.

• RMweb Premium

The present Staddlethorpe Junction/Gylberdyke signalbox is actually the third one. Prior to 1903 and the building of the Road Bridge there was a level crossing.

Early days yet, and almost ten months away, but I'm presently putting together an in depth talk/slide show on the history of the line Hull to Staddlethorpe1840 to April 2018. This will be given to the Signal Record Society, at the York meeting sometime this coming October. You don't have to be an SRS member to attend, and all welcome.

Hi Mick,

Thanks for the "heads up". I would very much like to attend. Will you post a flyer on here a bit nearer the time with venue/date/time details? I'm sure you will have a lot of info, photos etc., but if you need any photos of "today's" signals etc. you are welcome to use any I post on here (if there are any of use that is). I'm not bothered about copyrights for an event such as this.

Regards, Ian.

Dear Ian, many thanks for allowing me to use you photo's, I'm sure a few will be very usefull, I last photographed Gylberdyke in 1989, the final year I was signalman there. Nearer the date, I will ensure all interested partys are informed.

Attached, a mid '80's interior view of Gylberdyke signalbox.

post-702-0-46410400-1516657775_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Dear Ian, many thanks for allowing me to use you photo's, I'm sure a few will be very usefull, I last photographed Gylberdyke in 1989, the final year I was signalman there. Nearer the date, I will ensure all interested partys are informed.

Attached, a mid '80's interior view of Gylberdyke signalbox.

attachicon.gifGylberdyke, interior.JPG

Hi Mick,

Smashing photo. Although I have walked about 60% of the Selby - Hull route in my career, I only visited Gilberdyke SB on two occasions, and they were in the Railtrack days. Will be a sad day when it closes, but I guess that is what progress does.

Regards, Ian.

• RMweb Gold

Thank you, roundhouse, for the 1986 photo's of Gilberdyke. They bring back many memories. The last one is interesting. A Peak on four air con MkII's. I know such formations were used on Hull to York services, at times, in the mid eighties, as well as loco hauled Trans Pennine services until the 'new' Sprinters took over. I wonder which of them it might be.

Best regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Thank you, roundhouse, for the 1986 photo's of Gilberdyke. They bring back many memories. The last one is interesting. A Peak on four air con MkII's. I know such formations were used on Hull to York services, at times, in the mid eighties, as well as loco hauled Trans Pennine services until the 'new' Sprinters took over. I wonder which of them it might be.

Best regards,

Rob.

Unfortunately I didnt record the loco numbers as I was more interested in the stations and boxes in those days.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Roundhouse,

Many thanks for posting two fantastic photos.

Regards, Ian.

I owe you an apology Roundhouse, for some reason when I viewed your original post I could only see the first two photos. Now I can see them all and there are four fantastic photos - I particularly like the banner repeater signal on the Down Main. Gilberdyke box isn't so visible these days, the trees at the rear of the box have grown substantially over the years.

Once again, many thanks.

Regards, Ian.

• RMweb Premium

Ian, here is a close up of the "Banner Reapeter", I believe now gone.

attachicon.gifSYX Banner at Gylberdyke.jpg

Many thanks Mick, brilliant.

Interesting that it is a banner repeater for Oxmardyke's Distant rather than Gilberdyke's Block (Starter) signal. I'm assuming this based on today's signalling, perhaps it was slightly different at the time of the photo (ignoring the obvious fact that it is now two-track rather than a four-track railway).

Regards, Ian.

Typicaly, I cant find any photograghs, but from what I remember, the Starter could be seen over the footbridge. I recall some years later reading in the Weekly Notice the signal had been reduced in hieght, but by then I was long moved on, and pushing buttons at ethir Paragon or Hessle Road.

I do recall one morning the Lineman and his mates coming into the 'box to tell me they were renewing signal arms, and "They Won't be Bothering Me". Obviously I left them to it, and worked the job as normal, whatever I pullef off Down Branch to Down Fast, and then thought nomore of it. The train passed the 'box with a couple of "Pops" on the whistle, I looked out and saw an armless starter but with the Distant below off. Needless to say, the train proceded as normal, and from that day to this not another word. A world long gone, a court of inquiry to day and a rain forrest of paperwork.

• Like 2

Best regards,

Rob.

I think it's the Hull to Brighton train which ran at lunchtime. The inbound working was from Paddington!

• RMweb Premium

Tonight's offering are the same signals, but with a different variety of DMUs. I haven't bothered with identifying which services they are (e.g. head codes, well except a freight working that will appear either tomorrow or the day after). So if anyone out there would like to try and identify any of the services, all the photos posted yesterday and today were taken on Saturday 20/01/2018 between 11:30 and 12:36.

The first photo is showing G7 signal 'off' for a change, for the branch to Goole.

post-32776-0-12730800-1516736352_thumb.jpg

This one is of 144015 approaching Gilberdyke platform 2.

post-32776-0-66217400-1516736372_thumb.jpg

Departing ...

post-32776-0-88406600-1516736408_thumb.jpg

... and taking the branch to Goole

post-32776-0-50417000-1516736450_thumb.jpg

The buffer stop at the end of what is now referred to as the Tamper Siding, though I think it has been sometime since a tamper ventured this far along the siding.

post-32776-0-37331500-1516736484_thumb.jpg

A non-stop (at Gilberdyke anyway) TPE '185'. Sorry I didn't take the unit number, I blame TPE for a change in policy in not displaying the number on the front (that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it).

post-32776-0-14361800-1516736506_thumb.jpg

... and on it's way to Hull.

post-32776-0-13024800-1516736530_thumb.jpg

This is 142079 approaching platform 1 ...

post-32776-0-87197400-1516736556_thumb.jpg

... and departing for Hull. Approaching on the Down Main is a '158' - more of that tomorrow.

post-32776-0-83241400-1516736577_thumb.jpg

That's all for tonight, hopefully I'll post some more tomorrow night.

Regards, Ian.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Tonight's offering are the same signals, but with a different variety of DMUs. I haven't bothered with identifying which services they are (e.g. head codes, well except a freight working that will appear either tomorrow or the day after). So if anyone out there would like to try and identify any of the services, all the photos posted yesterday and today were taken on Saturday 20/01/2018 between 11:30 and 12:36.

1W10    10:26    Sheffield    Scarborough (13:34)    Arrived : 11:26(+1), Departed :11:26(+1)

1A93    10:51    Beverley    London Kings Cross (13:51)    Passed at 11:32(+2)

1K13    11:37    Hull    Leeds (12:33)    Passed at 11:56(+1)

2R93    11:46    Hull    York (12:53)    Passed at 12:04(RT)

1J05    11:53    Hull    Doncaster (12:46)    Arrived : 12:12(RT), Departed :12:12(RT)

Hi Steve,

Regards, Ian.

I sn't the stretch from near Selby to near Brough the longest straight in the country, at about 18 miles?

• RMweb Premium

I sn't the stretch from near Selby to near Brough the longest straight in the country, at about 18 miles?

Yep, from (roughly) 11.75 mile post to 29.5 mile post.

Regards, Ian.

• RMweb Premium

158 is on the Up?

Spot on Steve. No prize I'm afraid - unless you happen to pass by the White Swan one day and I'll buy you a beer.

Regards, Ian.

• RMweb Premium

Spot on Steve. No prize I'm afraid - unless you happen to pass by the White Swan one day and I'll buy you a beer.

Regards, Ian.

Thanks Ian, sounds like a most acceptable prize to me!

• RMweb Premium

So in reality only just over 17 miles - interesting that it's always been presented as 18 miles or has something  changed over the years?

I did say roughly. But you were quite right to query it Stationmaster. Having looked at the 5 Mile Diagrams this time the best measurements I can get between the finish of one curve and the start of the next curve are 11 miles 1122 yards and 29 miles 1144 yards. So the answer is 18 miles 22 yards (give or take a couple of yards either way as I am reading it off a computer screen). Always wise to double check and I'm more than happy to be corrected. Hope this clears it up for everyone.

Regards, Ian.

Edit: Corrected spelling of "screen"

Edited by iands