eBay, have I just bought a pile of scrap, again! Has lock down affected my judgement ?

hayfield

An old Crownline kit to completely revamp the old Dublo / Wrenn BR Std.4 tank has arrived. This is the "full" version with Crownline's own etched chassis; I also have the body-only detail kit acquired a couple of decades ago.

It's every bit of a curate's egg as I remember it. The castings in particular are all whitemetal and have long since been left behind by today's lost-wax castings from AGW and Comet. The etches are actually alright and would still pass muster today, but the chassis fret itself could do with upgrading via Comet parts. I will stick it under the old Wrenn body that I began hacking at years ago - that diecast mazak stuff is pretty tough when it wants to be!

Have I gone mad ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brass-Metal-0-6-0-Loco-Chassis-With-Piston-Block-/283200099127?nma=true&si=3lCZ0YNx7Qndt%252B4H1UdZwPRXp0Y%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I have a sneaking idea about this, may help to look at enlarged photos, Think the chassis is incomplete from Tubbs Road and may have alternative wheels from the WD postal area.

Still worth £7 to see if my hunch is correct, thinking the chassis may fit a black loco body I have

Edited by hayfield
  • Like 2

Have I gone mad ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brass-Metal-0-6-0-Loco-Chassis-With-Piston-Block-/283200099127?nma=true&si=3lCZ0YNx7Qndt%252B4H1UdZwPRXp0Y%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I have a sneaking idea about this, may help to look at enlarged photos, Think the chassis is incomplete from Tubbs Road and may have alternative wheels from the WD postal area.

Still worth £7 to see if my hunch is correct, thinking the chassis may fit a black loco body I have

As I thought it was a k's LMS 4-6-0 chassis, either a Black 5 or Jubilee (never could tell the difference) motion missing some parts, but I have a Jamieson set spare plus a spare Mk 1 motor and a body to fit it, just need now to look out for a tender (at a reasonable price). Had thought the wheels might have been a bit better but at least they are the earlier style which are superior to the later ones. Still at £3.50 plus the same for postage a set of frame spacers ( it has a pair) would cost me more

• Like 3

Another £9.85 worth of scrap bought again, a 42/52/72xx missing its rear end

post-1131-0-90787200-1540459224_thumb.jpg

post-1131-0-86033000-1540459212_thumb.jpg

Many years ago before musc was put on eBay I was given a set of random castings for one of these locos, I guess with a lot of scratch building I may have cobbled together something, but too many other things on the go to even think about it. Then in April this year I bought a bodyline kit which was unmade and Devo63 very kindly sent a K's parts list. I looked at getting an etched chassis but its still one of those things to do in the future

Now this kit became available, at worst I have a chassis for the unbuilt kit

Thinking about it, the spares I have would allow me to rebuild the damaged item

Lurking in my spares box is some old i/8th brass bars which can be used for frames, could I cobble together another chassis ? Or buy a set of Gibson frames? or just look out for another set of K's frames ? 

Still at worst I have a set of chassis parts and a body which I can repair with parts in hand and all for a tenner, lets see the state of the loco and how much is usable

Edited by hayfield

As I thought it was a k's LMS 4-6-0 chassis, either a Black 5 or Jubilee (never could tell the difference) motion missing some parts, but I have a Jamieson set spare plus a spare Mk 1 motor and a body to fit it, just need now to look out for a tender (at a reasonable price). Had thought the wheels might have been a bit better but at least they are the earlier style which are superior to the later ones. Still at £3.50 plus the same for postage a set of frame spacers ( it has a pair) would cost me more

Just to show how bad the photos were

post-1131-0-26885100-1540462702_thumb.jpg

post-1131-0-59914500-1540462709_thumb.jpg

But there were tale tail signs of what it was, with a guide to its condition but no real detail

Another £9.85 worth of scrap bought again, a 42/52/72xx missing its rear end

attachicon.gif402.jpg

attachicon.gif401.jpg

Many years ago before musc was put on eBay I was given a set of random castings for one of these locos, I guess with a lot of scratch building I may have cobbled together something, but too many other things on the go to even think about it. Then in April this year I bought a bodyline kit which was unmade and Devo63 very kindly sent a K's parts list. I looked at getting an etched chassis but its still one of those things to do in the future

Now this kit became available, at worst I have a chassis for the unbuilt kit

Thinking about it, the spares I have would allow me to rebuild the damaged item

Lurking in my spares box is some old i/8th brass bars which can be used for frames, could I cobble together another chassis ? Or buy a set of Gibson frames? or just look out for another set of K's frames ? 

Still at worst I have a set of chassis parts and a body which I can repair with parts in hand and all for a tenner, lets see the state of the loco and how much is usable

Said loco arrived today and what now can easily be seen is it has a Nucast milled chassis, half the Romford wheels are mazac type but what do you expect for a tenner including postage. The body its self is literally falling apart. The glue is shot and as I removed the chassis block the body has come apart. Paint stripper comes to mind now.

Still saved me a lot of work just have to decide what I want to do, the chassis alone is worth the money.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

At it again thought I had found a Southeastern Finecast southern USA tank, poor photos and description. It was very cheap but did not looke right, some how it looked a bit odd. The chassis is white metal and was not of the Wills style. Anyway I put in a cheeky bid of £20 which included free postage. As soon as I pressed the button the penny dropped more likely to be either a MTK or a Q kit

Still I got it for just under £9 which included postage, given normal postage rates for locos is about £4.50 I am only in for the equivalent of under £4.50. Worth it to see what it’s like, especially the white metal coupling rods and motion.

If it’s too bad then it will be relisted with a correct description and decent set of photo’s, might even add a few wheels to boost the desirably

• Like 2

• 10 months later...

Schools.jpg.760248674948a8956ba8b0625e61507a.jpg

Whats the quote "a fool and his money are easy parted" Guilty as charged £40 + £12 postage

What really intreaded me is what I thought was a SR N/U class loco with decent valve gear, Wills introduced these to fit a Triang/Hornby chassis (I have 2 or 3) but only one with an etched chassis, plus these kits are now currently unavailable

Worst case scenario a Craftsman Schools chassis kit (which looks complete) and a pack of bits, a D11/12 motor. On eBay I guess these two are worth £30/35 so I am into it for £20

A set of HMRS GWR lining transfers and Gibson brake blocks, an incomplete (DJH?) GB4 gearbox, Hornby wheels 4 sets of etched black 5 balance weights and a couple of GWR coach detail etches, SEF Schools boiler & Metcalf kit

Then the unknown loco

625510315_Schools1.jpg.21718feef5d00da5c9a10575eac37c2a.jpg

Well its an etched and cast whitemetal Kit built loco, tender says its a DJH. The sellers description was  " including a complete loco ( it has been in a glass show case for years so will need re commissioning) "

Well the chassis had been stuck to the body, the Romford wheels look to have been stuck to the rails. A K's HP2M motor, pickups loose one side of the valve gear is corroded and stuck front bogie wheels corroded and stuck, paint missing on both loco and tender

That's the end of the gloom and doom

The body and chassis are well built, but as said in need of repair. The chassis can be stripped down, and the K's motor will find a new home on eBay. I would like to rebuild the loco to EM gauge standards, if so hopefully I can obtain the missing gears for the GB4 gearbox, if not a suitable High level gearbox will be used. if I keep it to 00 gauge I will  use the D11 and have a spare motor mount. If it is a DJH loco they are not available at the moment, but equivalent size locos are now £125 + wheels motor and gearbox. The nickle silver motion will clean up OK, I think the hardest job will be the fitting of pickups, plus reinstating the front chassis mounting nut

Depending on whether I keep the D11, I will sell on parts worth between £25 & £40. Given I have spare D11 motors I have a DJH loco + a few nominal bits for the transfer & spares box for about £12 net . Hopefully for a nominal sum I may even get a working gearbox. As for the Wills schools boiler, well as to be expected I have a Wills Schools class loco to be rebuilt, it can replace the older boiler

• Like 4

For the past few weeks I have seen prices rise on eBay, there still are a few bargains out there especially if you want something that needs some work doing to it, last week I saw a Southeastern Finecast N7 class which had been part built, the body was fine but not painted. the chassis was similar but the motor needed fitting also no pickups. I have just ordered a new airbrush so I need something to practice on, the chassis can be rebuilt to EM gauge, just needs pickups and wiring up. The kit new must be £90 ish, the wheels motor and gears must be £75 ish. I thought £45 was a reasonable price. The body is nicely built, the chassis is OK but the attempt of fitting pickups a bit hamfisted.

But perhaps I am being a bit more discerning now, certainly clearing out my northern locos to concentrate on the southern parts of the country, but the last decent loco kit I bought was £90 ish. But part I find most interesting and get the most fun out of  is finding items, mostly it goes well but now and then I buy a pup. This time has lockdown boredom finally set in.

Lot 1

s-l1600.jpg.1fd740e1c0ad1035d8bd52de465c6865.jpg

I have been using up my motors and gearboxes recently as I have built 3 loco kits, and with Mashima's going on eBay for £30+  I thought £38 was a safe bet

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bulk-Lot-Selection-Of-OO-amp-N-Gauge-Locomotive-Spares-Parts-Wheels-Motors-Etc-/164150988447?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=lK%2FBybn1bH9JDCCL5Trw%2B7tiZIM%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc

Lot 2

1121011492_s-l1600(1).jpg.dc51fa904016dfc0671969eaebc634e4.jpg

Thought this was worth a punt, another motor, a loco, possibly, a chassis and some interesting spare parts, I think it will possibly be the better of the 3 lots and the cheapest at £20 ish

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bulk-Lot-Selection-Of-Railway-Modelling-Metal-Parts-N-Gauge-Chip-Spares-Motor-Et-/164150987298?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=lK%2FBybn1bH9JDCCL5Trw%2B7tiZIM%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc

Lot 3

27138817_s-l1600(2).jpg.bd024d86b4e6ed16ddd7a7b533d5504a.jpg

This is the biggest gamble, at worst the etched 3F will recoup £20, there is an etched 0-6-2 chassis that might fit a GEM 56xx I have, the spares are worth a bit and I might get lucky on the Hawthorn Leslie, tucked away there are also some pannier tank etched bits, but nothing complete. Someone could even want the mogul bits 

Might have lost some of my £53 punt on this one

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bulk-Lot-Selection-Of-OO-Gauge-Kit-Locomotive-Metal-Spares-Parts-Chassis-Etc-/164150986677?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=lK%2FBybn1bH9JDCCL5Trw%2B7tiZIM%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc

On the whole the exercise was to replenish my motors and gearboxes and there are some wheels, at full RRP how many branded motors and gearboxes would £112 buy ? Plus its a bit like Christmas, in what will be coming? Certainly there are bits that I don't want, which will cushion the financial gamble, but the real fun is what's there that I cannot see clearly 

• Like 3

I managed to both build up my motor and spares stock and add a couple of locos and have a few surplus items to sell

The Agenoria Hawthorne Leslie 0-4-0T loco looks complete but has no instructions, there is also a GEM Cambrian 2-4-0T with a Mainly Trains chassis, but missing a footplate, coupling rods and brake gear, hopefully I can cobble together the missing bits from my scrap box

8 motors, 2 Small mashima's, two H1024, a micro Tenshindo and a 12mm can motor, there are also 4 gearboxes/motor mounts, 10 Markit and 4 Alan Gibson drivers. A good 10+ packets of different packs of spares, including several lost wax castings and a couple of packs of sprung buffers. Also a box of bits and bobs which may or may not come in handy

On the not wanted and going to sell pile is an incomplete etched brass 1F loco body, a couple of cheap Hornby motors, some N gauge wheels and couplings and a whitemetal N gauge class 15 loco body

On the negative side is an incomplete Agenoria GWR Avonside 0-6-0ST, missing the footplate, smokebox  and chassis mainframes. CSP models sell the chassis separately, I guess the footplate could be fabricated quite easily, the smoke box would be the hardest to replicate. Its in another lot bought by someone else, but I asked the seller a few days ago if he could arrange a contact, but I never got a reply.  It's just a real shame to ruin a model for the sake of a message

Still I am very happy with what I got, infact the Agenoria 0-4-0 T is far better, The GEM also better than feared, and whilst the Agenoria 0-6-0ST is better than I thought, the smoke box is annoying me about the smoke box. On the whole the motors, gearboxes and wheels again far better than feared. 

• Like 1

I was given a couple of (I assume) old 7mm Precision Models kits (anyone heard of these?)  at a show 2 years ago.  I did the inspection and thought they were not going to be made.  Some etched brass stuff and a LOT of dodgy looking WM castings.  Really horrid coarse wheels.  However, I persevered and made up two decent wagons.

P1010075.JPG.177d31dd14badd19a7707cb010a72ddb.JPG

Most of the castings supplied were discarded and I made a lot of the brake gear parts myself.

P1010114.JPG.8a87c37dd40c3eba3f9ef59ddd9ae8dc.JPG

MCV.  Much the same story.  Buffers, couplings, wheels, vac pipes were all bought in.  Chassis is Peco's which I think is very good.

Just goes to show that you can build just about anything if determined.

John

Edited by brossard
  • Like 10

John

Your thread has been extremely enjoyable to follow, and shows some superb modelling skills in turning older more basic kits into stunning models. I think now we are blessed with extremely well detailed kits in both brass and plastic, with newer mediums bringing even better details to our modelling tables/benches

In the past modellers had to put up with quite basic kits to which modellers had to add their own building skills to, these now come under the scratch building aids titles, and  I think can be more rewarding turning these into decent models than building one of the new breed of kits

I now have time with the house refurbishment coming to a conclusion to do some more modelling, with about 3 or 4 kits on the go my stockpile of wheels motors and gears was getting a bit low, certainly at the moment with shops on shut down etc the usual sell on market for these parts has increased in price, Mashima motors are now being offered at over £30 and wheels and gearboxes at close to MRRP

I am not going to but if someone just put a little thought into sorting these items out I think they could have fetched at least 3 times what I paid, probably I would have spent the same amount of money on a smaller number of items and still have been happy, The first of the 3 items I showed certainly was the better buy, 6 decent motors, a couple of gear boxes all for £38 plus Romford and Gibson wheels, 

Still I have a few bits to sell on to cushionion the price, a couple of loco kits to build all from the proceeds of selling a few kits which were surplus over the past few weeks

• Like 1

Thanks John, I'm glad to hear you've been through my thread.  These older "kits" are more akin to parts packs or aids to scratchbuilders.  It is fun to go back to basics...for a few models.  These take a very great deal of time and effort to do so I think I prefer the modern offerings from Parkside, Slaters et al.

It is interesting what can be found on eBay although I haven't done any buying.

John

• Like 1

John

Unfortunately time is what a lot of folk have at the moment, railway modelling is a great distraction from what is going on especially for those of us who cannot help others out. It seems many are actually having a go at building things which is a great reliever of stress. As you say either building one of this style of kits, or kitbashing a standard kit is far more rewarding than building something far less demanding, certainly the mental and physical processes required help keep us older ones in far better mental and physical state. 

As railway modellers I think we are more fortunate than a lot of others.  I get the impression that most people are bored out of their minds.  We, on the other hand have no shortage of challenging projects.

I have made great progress on my layout over the last few weeks, finishing most of the buildings and making a backscene.  I'm well on the way with tracklaying too.

John

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

Over the weekend I bought another 2 lots, many would have thought both were a pile of whitemetal scrap and they may turn out that way, on the other hand I have a sneaky idea I might have found a couple of gems plus some useful items. The first lot cost £21+ postage, the second just over £60 including postage, at least in the second lot there is clearly an etched chassis, 2 decent motors and some Bromford and Gibson drivers, but these are not the interesting bits 

To be continued

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Have a quick look and see if you can spot what interested me

185.jpg.e23b8a6e8309b0d2793dbc310b47f472.jpg

This is the cheaper of the two, could be the best value?

186.jpg.978adae3e060afd9bf9e91cfb5b227a1.jpg

Possibly the safest bet of the two lots, but was the dearest, my money is covered by the etched chassis, motors and wheels

Edited by hayfield
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I have just forked out twenty odd quid on a whim for a pile of N gauge spares or repair which may illicit a few useful bit or I may have just become the next step in its journey to landfill.

We shall see when it arrives....

• Like 1

6 hours ago, hayfield said:

Have a quick look and see if you can spot what interested me

185.jpg.e23b8a6e8309b0d2793dbc310b47f472.jpg

This is the cheaper of the two, could be the best value?

186.jpg.978adae3e060afd9bf9e91cfb5b227a1.jpg

Possibly the safest bet of the two lots, but was the dearest, my money is covered by the etched chassis, motors and wheels

So it was you that beat me to it then!!:wacko:

• Friendly/supportive 2

34 minutes ago, MartinWales said:

No, just that one!:P:blush: Need some motors for future projects, like an S scale 15" Hunslet....

Crikey you wanted the motors badly, what type are you looking for ?

The motors were part of what I call the bankers along with the wheels and the etched chassis. There is a Peco 0 gauge Hunslet body missing a bit or two, but along with a funny looke g 0-4-0 or 2-4-2 chassis I think there is a K's TVR 0-4-0 loco, there might also be the odd bits for the first lot

• Like 2

Well one half (the dearer one) arrived as the 2 lots were posted separately owing to their combined weight

My hunch was correct and most pleased with what I had. The wheels motors and Perseverance chassis were as expected and more than covered the cost of the lot.

Clearly there was a Peco 0-16.5 Hunslet loco missing one cab side, just missing a couple of other small parts, the footplate was slightly deformed and the cab front which was soldered to the footplate was severely bent into a C shape. With the aid of boiling water it was carefully straightened, however one part snapped. After using 3" of de-solder braid it cleaned up and I was able to make the repair. There was a strange chassis in the lot, which on inspection seems to be for either a scale 3' or 3'6" gauge, no good for me as it is, but will work if I take it apart and fit new spacers

The other item as I thought was a K's TVR 0-4-0, some old and some new parts, certainly missing the roof and supports, cylinder is broken and missing bits and there may be smaller bits missing. On the plus side there is a decent very small open frame motor in the lot. The K's HP2M motor and gears along with the plastic wheels will go on Ebay. I will either fit some Gibson wheels into the chassis or buy a set of frames from Alan Gibson. 

My hunch on lot 2 was correct and I seem to have got away with 2 almost complete kits as the bonus

• Like 3

Somehow I missed the fact that the Cab and chimney were missing along with a few other small bits, but thanks to assistance from some members and a bit of research I have a set of K's instructions, and have found a couple of plans. Also waiting a reply to an email from Ambis Engineering re a new chassis

The postman has just delivered the second lot I won from the same buyer, doubt if any of the missing bits are in it but on the whole I have a basis of a K's TVR loco and on checking the Hunslet its complete except for one cab side

• Like 1

Well just as I thought, the easy spot was the K's autocoach, seems complete except for the roof (if I keep it I do have a spare plastic roof), what is very useful is 4 spare autocoach buffers as I have another K's autocoach missing 2 buffers

Best of all and what I had hoped for was 2 what I believe are Center Models Avonside SS class locos, one pretty much complete the other missing a few parts, but there looks to be several spares some of which will be useful on the K's TVR 0-4-0

My hunch was correct, either this or another of my autocoach's are surplus which will make the Avonside's an even better project

• Like 1

I have had a busy afternoon tinkering about.

First up regarding the Avonside's I have made a new smoke box from an old whitemetal smoke box casting, and making a new front buffer beam, then I will make a new can side from some flat whitemetal I have. Prior to that I have looked at a plan and have been sorting out the smaller castings that I can identify

Secondly I may have resolved the chassis problems, these are available from Ian at CSP (Agenoria).

• Like 2