Minerva announce Manning Wardle K Class 0-6-0ST

Andy Y

The various photos illustrate the large number of variations for this class of locomotive. Our aim is to provide a model that can be used as is, but can also be easily customised and converted. 

Regards,

Chris K

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

If the Peckett E class and the Victory are anything to go by, they will be fantastic little locomotives.

Even more useful for microlayouts, considerably smaller than either of those.

• Like 2

I quite fancy getting one of these and doing it as Metropolitan Brill No.1, although it seems the brake gear if different.

Yes, you will need to fit replacement brake gear to model this version. The sanding gear will also need to be moved. There were so many variations to this loco that a photograph of your chosen prototype will be essential.

Regards,

CK

Perhaps the sandboxes should be separate components only lightly held in place with glue, or even supplied as separate parts for the user to fit themselves?

The sandboxes are separate parts that will be attached with a glue that can be softened with white spirit. However, there is a raised casting on the metal footplate underneath the plastic sandboxes that is needed to secure the sanding pipes firmly in position. Different operating levers and rods will also be required.

One of the challenges of making a model of such a long-lived class of locomotive is that there are almost as many variations as there are locomotives. We have based the model on a factory general arrangement drawing as the starting point, but there are many variations of cab, different brakes, buffers, smokebox doors, handrails around the chimney, safety valve bonnets (or none e.g. ALDWYTH), cab steps and more. Frequently, the locos were modified by their owners. We will supply a loose handrail for the chimney end that can be fitted into the top of the saddle-tank as on ALDWYTH or trimmed and fitted into the front of the saddletank as on the Metropolitan Railway BRILL No 1. A spare toolbox will also be included. If feasible, we will mould a light groove on the inside of the cab roof to provide a cutting guide that will ease conversion to locos fitted with the large weatherboard like SHARPTHORN at the Bluebell Railway. But, ultimately, we have to stop somewhere to ensure the model is commercially viable. 

Regards,

CK

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Assuming this is a K class, this would seem to be a fairly straight-forward conversion cab project:

http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/lms/smjsa175.htm

smjsa175.jpg

I am all most sure that this is a old I class. I am a long way from home so cannot check my lists of Manning Wardle loco's so cannot be 100% positive.

I am sure this is an old class I, and due mainly to the fluted safety valve alongside the square rivetted tank. Indeed I believe the image is SMJ related, I am sure it featured in the Oakwood press booklet on the SMJ.

Izzy

Guest Isambarduk

However, there is a raised casting on the metal footplate underneath the plastic sandboxes that is needed to secure the sanding pipes firmly in position.

Been here before with the Ixion Model Railways Hudswell Clarke 0-6-0ST.  They just need to be removed or modified :-)  David

GCR278MillOffSandBoxes.jpg

See: www.davidlosmith.co.uk/GCR_Humber.htm#Sandboxes

Time for people to be grateful that this very difficult prototype will be available RTR. How many, like me took over twenty years to get their Slaters K class to this state. If the demand is there, someone will come up with a package of alternative parts, but they are easily fabricated from scratch. The key is research. There have been many good articles over the years.

Model RAilway Journal # 8&12

Railway Modeller April, July &August 1974

Model Railways April 1975 January 1976

Backtrack. Big article on Manning Wardle, but sadly my photocopy is undated.

Be warned, these little engines are addictive. If their mechanism wasn't so tricky to scratch build I might have never got into Hunslets!

• Like 1

I am sure this is an old class I, and due mainly to the fluted safety valve alongside the square rivetted tank. Indeed I believe the image is SMJ related, I am sure it featured in the Oakwood press booklet on the SMJ.

Izzy

The E.B. Wilson type fluted safety valve cover appeared on both Old I and K, as did the squared-off riveted tank.

The way to tell and Old Class I from a K is that the distances between front and centre, and centre and rear wheels on the Old I are not equal but they are (almost) equal on the K.

Old Class I wheelbase: 5ft. 5in. + 4ft. 10in.

Class K wheelbase: 5ft. 5in. + 5ft. 4in.

Edited by Ruston

I hope that I am not causing any manufacturing headaches for Chris!

I am very eagerly anticipating this model. I have always fancied the 0-6-0 Manning Wardles, but one look at a Slaters kit some years ago convinced me not to even bother trying. Etched Brass and I don't get a long at the best of times.

• RMweb Premium

The E.B. Wilson type fluted safety valve cover appeared on both Old I and K, as did the squared-off riveted tank.

The way to tell and Old Class I from a K is that the distances between front and centre, and centre and rear wheels on the Old I are not equal but they are (almost) equal on the K.

Old Class I wheelbase: 5ft. 5in. + 4ft. 10in.

Class K wheelbase: 5ft. 5in. + 5ft. 4in.

Ah, thanks. I hadn't realised that the K's had ever been given the square riveted type or the fluted cover. When I built my I the only reference material I had was those articles by Don Townsley in the MRJ's 8/12 and the compendium, and even then it seemed a minefield trying to work out what features went with a particular class while trying to allowing for repairs/rebuilds etc. I had gained the impression that by the time the K's started appearing the tanks were of the more rounded rivetted type before being flush as with the cover, but obviously I got this wrong. I just hope I haven't made any similar serious errors with the model.

Izzy

• RMweb Gold

Ah, thanks. I hadn't realised that the K's had ever been given the square riveted type or the fluted cover. When I built my I the only reference material I had was those articles by Don Townsley in the MRJ's 8/12 and the compendium, and even then it seemed a minefield trying to work out what features went with a particular class while trying to allowing for repairs/rebuilds etc. I had gained the impression that by the time the K's started appearing the tanks were of the more rounded rivetted type before being flush as with the cover, but obviously I got this wrong. I just hope I haven't made any similar serious errors with the model.

Izzy

You can't take anything for granted with industrial locos. Many ad-hoc (and quite probably unrecorded) repairs were carried out on-site rather than sending a loco away for overhaul. The guys who kept them going had little cash to play with and became extremely resourceful.

It wasn't uncommon for locos to end up fitted with adapted serviceable bits from scrapped older types, not necessarily even products of the same builder.........

John

• Like 1

I hope that I am not causing any manufacturing headaches for Chris!

I am very eagerly anticipating this model. I have always fancied the 0-6-0 Manning Wardles, but one look at a Slaters kit some years ago convinced me not to even bother trying. Etched Brass and I don't get a long at the best of times.

Not at all Dava. We welcome comment, but what we have learned with industrial locos is to provide as far as possible a

catalogue model from factory general arrangement drawings.  The CAD drawing we have released is an early iteration. The tanks will have full rivet detail and I may post another drawing later today. Our main effort this week is to finalise the choice of DCC sound equipment we can fit into the locomotive. It will be ZIMO.

Regards,

Chris

• Like 1

I appreciate that you've got to pick ONE prototype and then model that, otherwise you'll end up effectively making multiple models. In any case, I can't wait to get my hands on the Manning Wardle K Class.

By the way, I'm Marty, not Dava. 

Désolé pour ça; moment senior je pense.

Hi

Would you take VAT off for shipping to New Zealand ?

Thanks

Roger

Roger,

We will deduct VAT, but will add a charge for shipping. Please correspond off-line to discuss details.

Regards,

Chris K