The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

RMWeb Gamer's Lounge.

Classsix T

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Ian J. said:

Proper game, but I bet it still won't compare to 'X-Wing', etc., on PC, which felt like proper space flight sims as you had the keyboard to handle all sorts of settings. On console that will have to be overly simplified to suit the limited number of buttons...

Elite Dangerous exists on consoles and that has an insane number of controls. No idea how they've made it work for consoles but they have. So it's possible. I'll have a look at the trailer later, but if it's anything at all like the X-Wing games - and with VR support (damned Oculus Rift cable's broken though) I'll be desperate to try it!

edit: Oh, looks like a multiplayer thing :(

Edited by Reorte

11 hours ago, Reorte said:

Elite Dangerous exists on consoles and that has an insane number of controls. No idea how they've made it work for consoles but they have. So it's possible. I'll have a look at the trailer later, but if it's anything at all like the X-Wing games - and with VR support (damned Oculus Rift cable's broken though) I'll be desperate to try it!

edit: Oh, looks like a multiplayer thing :(

5v5 I'm led to believe, which doesn't worry me unduly. It's a game that lends itself to some multiplayer action. As long as there's a hefty chunk of single player campaign, it's all good.

The YouTube link then showed me the video for the Horizon Zero Dawn sequel. That really does look smashing and I'm genuinely excited about seeing that on a PS5 & hi def telly set-up.

C6T. 

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Classsix T said:

5v5 I'm led to believe, which doesn't worry me unduly. It's a game that lends itself to some multiplayer action. As long as there's a hefty chunk of single player campaign, it's all good.

Predominantly single player with a multiplayer addon, I'd consider it if it was that. I don't mind the occasional bit of multiplayer (as I've probably mentioned in the past I've spent quite a bit of time with Mass Effect 3 multiplayer, although being a cooperative one that's a bit different); in general I find other people more of a hindrance than a help in getting immersed in a game. Perhaps it would be a bit different if I was sociable enough to only have to play with friends :)

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Classsix T said:

Well, Kotaku mentioned cross platform multiplay, perhaps we could scrape up an RMweb squadron of pilots? (Team Choo Choo Pew Pew.)

Who's going to be flying Black Five?

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, Reorte said:

Predominantly single player with a multiplayer addon, I'd consider it if it was that. I don't mind the occasional bit of multiplayer (as I've probably mentioned in the past I've spent quite a bit of time with Mass Effect 3 multiplayer, although being a cooperative one that's a bit different); in general I find other people more of a hindrance than a help in getting immersed in a game. Perhaps it would be a bit different if I was sociable enough to only have to play with friends :)

Agreed.  "Team" based multiplayer is usually nothing of the sort, a free for all which absolutely negates the team aspect. 

If I could find four wingmen who could discuss and formulate tactics and roles/responsibilities, I'd be all over this.  Ditto FPS like CoD.  What I would give to be part of a proper assault team attacking a position in a sensible, serious and well thought manner with leadership...

But alas...

Best

Scott.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, scottystitch said:

Agreed.  "Team" based multiplayer is usually nothing of the sort, a free for all which absolutely negates the team aspect. 

If I could find four wingmen who could discuss and formulate tactics and roles/responsibilities, I'd be all over this.  Ditto FPS like CoD.  What I would give to be part of a proper assault team attacking a position in a sensible, serious and well thought manner with leadership...

But alas...

Best

Scott.

^This

It's that very difficulty finding decent teams that killed Gears of War's Horde mode for me. To play that well (any version of it) requires a team that can work together, and if necessary take orders. However, the standard method of 'randoms in a lobby' approach just doesn't work, they're all far too concerned with their own importance. XBox has 'Looking for' as a system feature, but it's too labourious to deal with for me, and I really struggle to have conversations with people I don't already know. So if the game doesn't have a decent single player mode I'm not interested.

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, Ian J. said:

^This

It's that very difficulty finding decent teams that killed Gears of War's Horde mode for me. To play that well (any version of it) requires a team that can work together, and if necessary take orders. However, the standard method of 'randoms in a lobby' approach just doesn't work, they're all far too concerned with their own importance. XBox has 'Looking for' as a system feature, but it's too labourious to deal with for me, and I really struggle to have conversations with people I don't already know. So if the game doesn't have a decent single player mode I'm not interested.

...and to reciprocate, ^this.

best

Scott.

• Like 1

I saw the above in action in the demo of Anthem, rather inevitable when you group a bunch of random players without beneficial intent together. One of the ways to encourage co-operative play in lobby grouping is to reward healing team mates, difficult to see how that might work in something like this Star Wars title though.

They'd obviously be mad to not have a teamed friends option to the multiplay, there is in SWBF2 but that pits your team against CPU opposition.

Get it right and you're into League of Legends/World of Warcraft territory. But it's Electronic Arts, whose team based sports titles are single player and, unless you forgot, brought us (cough) Anthem!

C6T. 

• RMweb Gold

You'd have to have a lobby entitled "Players who are willing to follow and/or issue orders with discipline, even if it doesn't work first time, and I don't care about my personal record, I just want the fuzzy feeling f living and dying as a team"

I'd be all over a lobby like that.

Best

Scott.

Edited by scottystitch
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, scottystitch said:

You'd have to have a lobby entitled "Players who are willing to follow and/or issue orders with discipline, even if it doesn't work first time, and I don't care about my personal record, I just want the fuzzy feeling f living and dying as a team"

I'd be all over a lobby like that.

It can work together if you've got a group who know each other anyway and what they're doing, even without orders. I've had that with Mass Effect 3, but it's generally been with a group who all know the game inside out anyway so orders aren't really needed - someone says what they're going to do and people leave them to it or support as appropriate because we all know what we're doing. Although we've been playing it long enough that just minding our own business usually works anyway.

I'm less sure about playing against other people, that generally means (in my limited experience in other games) that it's very hard to find a good balance, it's either against people you can trounce easily or against people who trounce you easily.

I had another bash at Mass Effect: Andromeda multiplayer after my most recent replay (another EA title of course). I did actually find it a rather enjoyable tear-up. Savvy players soon cotton on that without cooperation from squad mates you aren't going to last very long so healing and supportive covering fire becomes second nature. Tactics, in the loosest terms, kinda go out the window when you've got biotics using Charge all over the place!

That said it is 4(?) vs CPU, and frankly the AI isn't that smart. The lack of any cohesive battle plan by the human players is matched by an equal disregard for strategic competency on the part of the bad guys. But as with many versus CPU games that's probably the point, a dip in - dip out weaponised handbag barney without much consequence. The best you can hope for is a slightly cooler gun for the next round.

Whether Squadrons goes for a brief adrenalin rush free for all space shooter or an EVE Online stylee operatic galactic battlefest, we'll have to wait and see. But being an EA title with Disney's hand at the tiller, I think we all know how it's likely to turn out.

C6T. 

• RMweb Premium

I wasn't as keen on Andromeda's multiplayer as ME3's, although there could be network reasons for that (I could host ME3 games but it was unplayable for anyone else if I tried hosting an Andromeda one).

41 minutes ago, Reorte said:

I wasn't as keen on Andromeda's multiplayer as ME3's, although there could be network reasons for that (I could host ME3 games but it was unplayable for anyone else if I tried hosting an Andromeda one).

I think I get you re: hosting, that's when you create your own room? In ME:A I've just connected to the EA server for quick matches or whatever they call it. Not tried ME3's but I'm guessing the servers were wiped some time ago?

C6T. 

Edited by Classsix T

If you want bad multiplayer then join an F1 2019 lobby. Most of the people on there have figured out how to hit you to pitch you off the track and have you be blamed for it by the system.

i don’t go on there much anymore...

3 minutes ago, Edge said:

If you want bad multiplayer then join an F1 2019 lobby. Most of the people on there have figured out how to hit you to pitch you off the track and have you be blamed for it by the system.

i don’t go on there much anymore...

Polyphony keep tweaking the collision penalty system in GTSport, frankly I think they had it right a few versions ago but it's mostly fair. It still grates when awarded a penalty for unavoidable bumps with someone clearly out of control who then careers off circuit however.

C6T. 

• RMweb Premium
57 minutes ago, Classsix T said:

I think I get you re: hosting, that's when you create your own room? In ME:A I've just connected to the EA server for quick matches or whatever they call it. Not tried ME3's but I'm guessing the servers were wiped some time ago?

The EA server does the matchmaking and there's probably a fair bit sent back to it (it can't work without it) but both require someone to host, so when you join a random lobby you're joining one hosted on someone else's machine; if there are any network issues they'll be down to between the connection between you and them rather than EA (and if you're hosting, which includes playing solo, there should therefore be no lag issues at all for you).

Andromeda has more to keep track of than ME3 - more enemies, and fully 3D movement, which probably explains why my slow upload speed means I'm no good as a host on it for other people.

ME3 is still going, I still pop in for the occasional game. Has a big advantage over Andromeda - can't have the quarian infiltrator with the Javelin on Andromeda!

• Thanks 1

On 19/06/2020 at 12:49, luckymucklebackit said:

Postman has just delivered "The Last of us 2", so that is the Wife sorted for the weekend and hopefully allow me plenty of time to do some layout building!

Jim

Mine is installing now (two discs!) as is a v1.02 patch, 4.4gig of patch, one day after release! Glad all that crunch at Naughty Dog was worth it*.

I'd be interested in what she thinks Jim. The Kotaku review was quite vocal in it's dismay at the violence and general grimness on display, certainly Lounge regulars that found RDR2 heavy going might want to bear that in mind if they're tempted.

Personally I found the attitude of the Kotaku reviewer rather odd. It's not as if the first game was a barrel of fun, Animal Crossing it ain't.

(* though whether TLoU2 was rushed out to circumvent spoiler leaks, I couldn't say) C6T. 

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, Classsix T said:

Mine is installing now (two discs!) as is a v1.02 patch, 4.4gig of patch, one day after release! Glad all that crunch at Naughty Dog was worth it*.

I'd be interested in what she thinks Jim. The Kotaku review was quite vocal in it's dismay at the violence and general grimness on display, certainly Lounge regulars that found RDR2 heavy going might want to bear that in mind if they're tempted.

Personally I found the attitude of the Kotaku reviewer rather odd. It's not as if the first game was a barrel of fun, Animal Crossing it ain't.

Started it. Not that enthused to take on 20 hours or so of unrelenting grimness..

Got bored of Animal Crossing as there's only so much unrelenting pointless busywork I can take.

So still playing Assassins Creed Black Flag on the Switch which is really quite fun apart from the tailing/eavesdropping missions. 

On 20/06/2020 at 19:18, Classsix T said:

(* though whether TLoU2 was rushed out to circumvent spoiler leaks, I couldn't say) C6T. 

Mrs Luckymucklebackit is playing the game as I type, she seems to be enjoying the game but she was extremely annoyed re the fate of on of the major characters (trying to avoid a spoiler).  Also as one of the older more conservative generation she feels that the introduction of the (how do I put this without offending) female sexuality aspect is unwarranted, but as I explained to her she has to go with the flow on that one.  I have to admit the graphics are astounding.

Jim

• Like 1

Jim's not wrong, it really is a lovely thing to look at, to the point I really should be immersing myself and not saving screen grabs every five minutes...but hey.

RNFetchBlobTmp_27fmv2oez55if40vzei13i.jpg.257562f1770b82e0d16b61b0d60e107e.jpg

RNFetchBlobTmp_eql2wycz3qnzdm362tfnzb.jpg.b2626dccf89dc812615fbef84a0a7c7a.jpg

They got the Naughty Dog Easter eggs in early this time round as well...

RNFetchBlobTmp_0vyuxe1ae4s9h7z10fdtaul.jpg.69d643bb4a3600a2cb9138020863b96c.jpg_20200622_145418.JPG.3bf67e2b2d198488f2e3c6cca9783cb4.JPG

C6T. 

Edited by Classsix T
  • Like 2

There was another PS3 setup in-game, better lit...

RNFetchBlobTmp_syel64yr8kv9i9fxo9waj.jpg.a794a3a793630f9868cdefa90539b070.jpg

...the attention to detail is incredible, these game cases have a reflective sheen mimicking the clear plastic film that protects the paper insert.

C6T. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Apparently Microsoft is getting into bed with Farcebook by giving up their gaming app Mixer:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-53142676

As I won't touch Farcebook with a bargepole, I'll be uninstalling the Mixer app sooner rather than wait. But I do worry that all XBox Live accounts will end up being 'given' to Farcebook as a way of getting that gaming app onto XBox Live...

:angry:

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

This from You tube:

Viewing the trailer in the second part of this, my concern is that as with everything else these days, you'll be able to buy your way to modding your spacecraft to a higher spec.  Richest guy wins...

Edited by scottystitch
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 2